Maguire | he stays!

the_cliff

If Harry wanted to leave he would have done that by now. He knows Varane is injured half the season. He will get 25-30 games and earn his money. Sad.
Lindelof is preferred over him. Wouldn't be surprised if Jonny Evans is now as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
£60m would be great.
Sell Donny, Fred and Henderson (10-15m each) and we would be looking at £100m in sales, surely means we can make a bid for Kane?
70m for these two, 10m for Henderson, 15m for VDB, 10m for Fred…we’re getting Kane on deadline day aren’t we.
Are you guys forgetting the players we will be buying with the money to replace these guys if they go? The fees for Amrabat and Todibo do not leave change for Harry Kane!

Lights Out

My god, I would have taken the £30m!

You can’t put a price on not having to see this clown in a United shirt ever again. Another calamity yesterday.

We could have got Timber for about £5m net :wenger:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
My god, I would have taken the £30m!

You can’t put a price on not having to see this clown in a United shirt ever again. Another calamity yesterday.

We could have got Timber for about £5m net :wenger:
We couldn't play Martinez and Timber together at CB, Todibo would make more sense and is cheaper.

mu4c_20le

Well done. You never take the first offer.

Can't spell Murtough without tough

Waynne

feck me I hope we know what we’re doing!
Yes we do.

We shouldn't be selling on players for a buck twenty. 25million and 30million is an insulting bid for Maguire. Should be 40million at minimum. The same for Scott.

United tax applies to both incoming and outgoing players.

Redstain

65M for both would be good business. They don't offer the club anything aside cover and even Scott to some extent is further behind the pecking order. West Ham sell Rice in excess of 100M and bring in Scott / Maguire it's good business on their behalf. Even 70M I think is good for both clubs respectively.

Cassidy

Didn’t they play in the same team at Ajax?
Not in the PL.
TImber isn't good in the air, Martinez is (even though he is shorter). He won't get away with it much which is why Arsenal will have him out at fullback

Withnail

Yeah thanks I just noticed the thread name changed and read the article. Wtf really. Hope this won't bite us in the ass.
Well, apparently, we only want £35-40m and West Ham are going to up their bid, so hopefully we get it done. He claims to want to fight for his place but it's best for both parties, and his career, if he leaves. He'd do well at somewhere like West Ham.

There were also murmurings of other interested parties so we could also be in negotiations with other clubs.

daba

I still suspect he still will gaffe alot, but a deeper line will probably limit the exposure of said mistakes. On balance it depends on wages,length of contract things like that as to whether it is the type of deal worth really going for. I think he will improve us subtly vs the starting pair at the moment ,more majorly for when Zouma is injured/aguerd is at AFCON and does clearly give huge experience and also homegrown.

Alvarez is our no.6, he plays so deep he is borderline another CB at times.

Mctom probably an 8, box-box player.
Alvarez, McT and Paqueta could be a pretty tasty midfield tbf

Strelok

We bought Varane for 40m when he was 28 yo. 30m is fecking fair for 30 yo Maguire imho. I just hope we know what we're doing.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

What the hell are we doing? Rejecting good money for players who are far from being good enough to play for a top team?

Superunknown

You just know with the way this club is run that we'll end up keeping both of these guys or will let them go for a lesser offer later on.

zaafi

In what world is Maguire worth more than £30m? He is 30, slow as feck and looks like he's given up football.

OrcaFat

I think the difference you will see with McTominay stems from what his talents are. He has an exceptional ability to burst past players in tight spaces, he's got a good strike of the ball, he can finish and he has good instincts for timing runs into the box.

The reason that he will excel more ate West Ham or a team of that level is that the things he can't do are the draw backs for a side like United who are supposed to dominate the ball.

If he's granted attacking license I wouldn't be shocked if he finds himself in those conversations about "the best player outside of the top 6 or top 8" or whatever they are. With people saying we messed up by selling him (they will be wrong but they will say it).

JWP has never been in those conversations.
Well the problem here is we disagree about McT’s quality and potential. He is not exceptional at anything imo.

There was quite a bit of talk about one of the top teams going for JWP a couple of years ago. We were linked to him at one point. Tottenham are linked at the moment. He’s played several times for England. I don’t think McT would get near the England squad.

Neither of them is good enough for Utd, we probably agree there. Will be interesting to see what is paid for them when they get sold. McT being younger is in his favour but JWP is so important to Southampton it will take more to get that deal to happen imo.

daba

Not in the PL.
TImber isn't good in the air, Martinez is (even though he is shorter). He won't get away with it much which is why Arsenal will have him out at fullback
Still think we should have tried to sell Dalot and bought Timber as a RB and CB (cover). Made far too much sense.

Unam333

Usually we sell our players for peanuts, but this is seriously amazing! Another bid rejected. Enjoyable to see the club likes to play for high stakes. :drool:

Strelok

Well, apparently, we only want £35-40m and West Ham are going to up their bid, so hopefully we get it done. He claims to want to fight for his place but it's best for both parties, and his career, if he leaves. He'd do well at somewhere like West Ham.

There were also murmurings of other interested parties so we could also be in negotiations with other clubs.
Yeah let's hope that's the case. Thanks for the info mate.

Cassidy

Still think we should have tried to sell Dalot and bought Timber as a RB and CB (cover). Made far too much sense.
I think we still want Frimpong...

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Really shocking if true. Surely there must be more to it. £30m is fantastic for a player of his quality and age.

Big Ray

We should not be turning down 60million for mctominay and Maguire. We better not balls this up as 60m gets us Amrabat and Tobido which is a complete steal and a massive upgrade.

OleGunnar20

£60m for both sounds like an absolutely great deal for us. Mad to have rejected if true.

Maguire would do fine but I'd anticipate McTom would hit the bench before long.

ShinjiNinja26

Should’ve took the £30m, a clean break is best for all involved. I’d hate to see us feck this deal up for the sake of holding out for another £5m.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Okay this is starting to piss me off. I appreciate driving a bargain but getting between 60/70m for both Maguire and McTominay when neither has any business being in our own squad is a good deal. Playing hardball over 10m for a club of our size is just stupidity when neither player is uber coveted on the market

Nori-

I think £70m for Maguire and McTominay is fair.

We get back most of the £80m we paid for Maguire and Mctomminay who came through our youth system basically goes for free.

We cant have another Pogba situation where £89m went down the FFP drain.