Maguire | he stays!

the_cliff

How? Varane at 28 cost £41m. How is Maguire at 30 worth as much as him?
Varane was on the last year of his contract, was actively looking for a new challenge.

If Maguire was on the last year of his contract we'd be accepting 15 for him. Come on, context is everything.

Withnail

Can we stop with this idea 35 year old Evans is ahead of him? It’s fecking absurd.
We gave him a contract for a reason and Maguire was already 5th choice last season. I was expecting him to get less games than last season anyway, before we brought in Evans. Anyway I reckon he'll be sold so it's all a bit moot.

OrcaFat

If they manage to get anything close to £40m for Maguire I'd be very very impressed.
Me too.

But I’m not fussed about being impressed. I want us to sell him and McT for the best price we can get but they just have to be sold. I don’t want to see those guys still here causing chaos and being humdrum simultaneously. I don’t want any pats on the back for our executives for “holding firm” and “not selling cheap”. If they are not sold it is a mistake, no other word for it.

If you hold out for what they are “worth” and nobody buys then it proves you were really holding out for more than they are worth - what is the effing point of that?

zaafi

Varane was on the last year of his contract, was actively looking for a new challenge.

If Maguire was on the last year of his contract we'd be accepting 15 for him. Come on, context is everything.
Maguire has two years left. He really isn't worth £40m. Look at his performances for us the past years. Mistakes almost every game.

Strelok

Should’ve took the £30m, a clean break is best for all involved. I’d hate to see us feck this deal up for the sake of holding out for another £5m.
After the initial heart attack I've come back to my senses now. Imo it's actually a good move from us to ask for 5m more. Enough to not piss WH off and imo the worst scenario is we'll accept the 30m bid if WH say take it or leave it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We gave him a contract for a reason and Maguire was already 5th choice last season. I was expecting him to get less games than last season anyway, before we brought in Evans. Anyway I reckon he'll be sold so it's all a bit moot.
We gave him a contract for pre-season. It runs out in two weeks. If he signs it’ll be as a 5th choice with a view to coaching youth.

Jack-C20

Is there a chance we’re happy with the fee but not the rest of it? Like the reports earlier about us still paying a portion of his wages. Either way, it really is best for everyone that he goes. There’s a player in there somewhere but there’s too much pressure on him for it to come out here. Think he’ll do fine somewhere like West Ham.

Gandalf

Mental if we're rejecting 30m for Maguire

He needs to go.
He does but I think our price is reflecting the fact we are going to have to bridge the gap on his salary for him to leave. The Athletic report West Ham can only offer him 100k a week so if we have to throw a few million at him to leave then the purchase price goes higher.

Castia

He does but I think our price is reflecting the fact we are going to have to bridge the gap on his salary for him to leave. The Athletic report West Ham can only offer him 100k a week so if we have to throw a few million at him to leave then the purchase price goes higher.
But if West Ham walk we're left with a 5th choice centre back on 200k a week sat on the bench with his value bombing by the week

We have to be careful, Henderson, McT and Maguire could have fetched us upwards of 80m and will all be part players this season, some will argue they should have been sold years ago.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Imagine if the Caf was the DOF.

Incoming: just pay what it takes to get him in!!!

Or conversely: just sell him. No point losing the deal over 5-10million quid difference.

Dve

Usually we sell our players for peanuts, but this is seriously amazing! Another bid rejected. Enjoyable to see the club likes to play for high stakes. :drool:
The standard seems to be 3 bids, where the 3rd is accepted, do yeah, Murdoch is just playing by the book and good on him. Moyes seems keen, so let's get at least 70 for the pair.

OrcaFat

After the initial heart attack I've come back to my senses now. Imo it's actually a good move from us to ask for 5m more. Enough to not piss WH off and imo the worst scenario is we'll accept the 30m bid if WH say take it or leave it.
I actually don’t believe WH would cough up £60m for those two. I know what’s been reported but I can’t see both deals going through at a sum of £60m or more. Looks like we’re rejecting those bids anyway which is insane.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
‘An offer above £50m’ is what’s accurate’. Much of that (or a portion if generous) will be performance related.

They’re on massive wages and nobody wants them. We won’t receive £50m for the pair.
I see. So you’ve basically decided to ignore the fact everyone has since reported they bid 30m for each of them and double down on your bollocks.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Imagine if the Caf was the DOF -- just pay what it takes to get him in!!!

Or conversely: just sell him. No point losing the deal over 5-10million quid difference.
Exactly! They seem to think this FM

Roboc7

Surely 30m if not accepted it is at least close enough for deal to be sorted. I understand trying to get good fees for him and Mctominay but 60m is better than being stuck with two players the manager doesn’t want for another season and maybe more.

spiriticon

Christ. If we play this wrong and Maguire sits on the bench for most of the season while on 250k a week, somebody on the transfer team needs to be shot.

30m is a 'take the money' deal all day long

Kag

My gut feeling is that he’ll dig his heels in and fight for his place.

He shouldn’t, but he will. He’ll look at Varane’s fitness concerns and see a pathway into the team.

Strelok

I actually don’t believe WH would cough up £60m for those two. I know what’s been reported but I can’t see both deals going through at a sum of £60m or more. Looks like we’re rejecting those bids anyway which is insane.
Imo it's not that hard to believe WH would pay 30m for McT. Imo he would do pretty well there and they'd need someone like him to replace Rice. Agree 30m for Maguire is quite unbelievable though. But yeah that's what the reports say.

Dve

‘An offer above £50m’ is what’s accurate’. Much of that (or a portion if generous) will be performance related.

They’re on massive wages and nobody wants them. We won’t receive £50m for the pair.
You are not really paying attention, are you.

Castia

My gut feeling is that he’ll dig his heels in and fight for his place.

He shouldn’t, but he will. He’ll look at Varane’s fitness concerns and see a pathway into the team.
I mean he could well do but he would be mad

Seeing Shaw moved to CB before picking him must have been so humiliating he's 5th choice at best, possibly 6th depending on Evans

OrcaFat

Usually we sell our players for peanuts, but this is seriously amazing! Another bid rejected. Enjoyable to see the club likes to play for high stakes. :drool:
It’s hilarious. I can just imagine the hubris going through the roof as they reject bid after bid, drunk on the success of not selling players we are desperately trying to get rid of.

dinostar77

£35mil is a fair price for maguire, hope he goes if WH up their offer.

£40-45mil for McTominay is nuts.

Abraxas

The thing is I think we need to take the combined deal to accept 30 on Maguire. It's not good enough to take 30 on Maguire by itself as it's crap from a FFP perspective and strengthening our own squad. Ultimately the goal is always to improve Man United and we have to be aware of that. A sale alone doesn't improve Man United, it's what it allows us to do that improves us.

I think 35 is a benchmark on Maguire by himself. For both maybe 60-65 is a decent deal.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, people wanted us to be more ballsy when it comes to getting good money for our players, so here you go.

Either that, or EtH actually wants to keep him.

Castia

£35mil is a fair price for maguire, hope he goes if WH up their offer.

£40-45mil for McTominay is nuts.

The fans would be rioting if they blew 80m of the Rice money on these 2 shitters and rightly so