Maguire | he stays!

My gut feeling is that he’ll dig his heels in and fight for his place.

He shouldn’t, but he will. He’ll look at Varane’s fitness concerns and see a pathway into the team.
As brutal as it is, this is why clubs sometimes freeze players out completely and have them train away from the first team. Kills all hope the player has of getting back into the team and forces them to find a new club.

35 million for Maguire and around 35 million for McTominay seems fair enough. Good business for both clubs I feel.

Surely 30m if not accepted it is at least close enough for deal to be sorted. I understand trying to get good fees for him and Mctominay but 60m is better than being stuck with two players the manager doesn’t want for another season and maybe more.
Still, we are expected to name a 25-man squad and we are actually running low on numbers. I would hate to see youngsters being forced to stay when a loan deal would be better for their development, e.g. the likes of Gore and one of the pair Amad/Pellistri. I seriously struggle to find 25 senior players at the moment, and keeping McTominay would not be a bad thing. It's not like we have sell every player that is not a regular starter.

Maguire needs to go, we all agree on that.

Imagine if the Caf was the DOF.

Incoming: just pay what it takes to get him in!!!

Or conversely: just sell him. No point losing the deal over 5-10million quid difference.
Just selling for the first offer that comes in would be an improvement on selling next to no one. Selling the pair of them for £30m each would put them in our top 10 highest sales

It’s actually nuts how low it is if we consider Rice’s valuation.
Feck me. Rice is on a completely different level.

All we can do is wait and see if anybody will pay £40m for McT but it will amaze me if they do, I will be fully stunned.

We are playing with fire here. 30m for Maguire or 60m for both of them, are both generous offers and probably there is 1 club in the world who is willing to pay that money for them. If not accept them immediately, we should at least sit with West Ham and try to make a deal.

I very much doubt we are going to get much, if any, better than this offer.

We shouldn't get too greedy in case they walke away. £67m for Maguire and Mctominay is what we should push for, we could get £75m but there's a high chance of WH walking away at that price and no one else will offer as much.

I haven't watched Evans playing recently but who is faster in your opinion?

Maguire is 30 yes, but he run and turn around like he's 40.

Watched every minute of pre season and Maguire is like Mbappe compared to Evans. When Johnny came on yesterday he twice wrestled guys to the ground within 5 minutes because they were flying past him, both challenges would have been yellows in the PL and he would have been off to the locker room. If we sign him it will be on a very low salary so it won't matter much but I would honestly hope he only sees meaningful action in the event that we only have 9 other fit outfield players.

Imo it's not that hard to believe WH would pay 30m for McT. Imo he would do pretty well there and they'd need someone like him to replace Rice. Agree 30m for Maguire is quite unbelievable though. But yeah that's what the reports say.
Yeah it’s the idea of them taking both that I can’t imagine.

After the initial heart attack I've come back to my senses now. Imo it's actually a good move from us to ask for 5m more. Enough to not piss WH off and imo the worst scenario is we'll accept the 30m bid if WH say take it or leave it.

Personally I think 30m is top heavy, 35m feels way too much, however I'm not Moyes and in all fairness he has had a good eye for defenders at West Ham so far. He made Craig Dawson into a player that got on the europa league team of the year afterall! Pull thart trick with Maguire and you could get a champion league quality player in the right system.

So in a specific Moyes system, 35m would be begrudgingly acceptable. Anyone else though and 35m would be WAY too much. I think that's my worry. When Moyes leaves, we will be stuck with Maguire on large wages for several more years, declining in ability with it. It hugely limits us down the line if not employed by Moyes still.

Christ. If we play this wrong and Maguire sits on the bench for most of the season while on 250k a week, somebody on the transfer team needs to be shot.

30m is a 'take the money' deal all day long
I believe the correct number is 190k.

Watched every minute of pre season and Maguire is like Mbappe compared to Evans. When Johnny came on yesterday he twice wrestled guys to the ground within 5 minutes because they were flying past him, both challenges would have been yellows in the PL and he would have been off to the locker room. If we sign him it will be on a very low salary so it won't matter much but I would honestly hope he only sees meaningful action in the event that we only have 9 other fit outfield players.
I see. Thanks for the info mate.

Ha, funny. I wonder why we hired him.

Maguire is pretty flat footed though. I can’t see him playing much, if at all, if he stays here.

Maguire can find a better club than West Ham. He should do like Chris Smalling and go to another league and start over in a bigger club than West Ham. It is not to be disrespectful towards the Hammers, but if Chris Smalling can play for a club like Roma, then Maguire can too.
Are Roma a better club than west ham? News to me

I didn’t realise centre backs were solely judged by “who is faster?” - we should stick Rashford at CB. On an unrelated note Evans played 45 mins largely against 10 men yesterday and got destroyed twice in transition and looked slower than me. It got ignored in all the Maguire booing though.

Are you guys forgetting the players we will be buying with the money to replace these guys if they go? The fees for Amrabat and Todibo do not leave change for Harry Kane!
I think we’ll get Amrabat and that’ll be that, if we’re being serious for a second.

Personally I think 30m is top heavy, 35m feels way too much, however I'm not Moyes and in all fairness he has had a good eye for defenders at West Ham so far. He made Craig Dawson into a player that got on the europa league team of the year afterall! Pull thart trick with Maguire and you could get a champion league quality player in the right system.

So in a specific Moyes system, 35m would be begrudgingly acceptable. Anyone else though and 35m would be WAY too much. I think that's my worry. When Moyes leaves, we will be stuck with Maguire on large wages for several more years, declining in ability with it. It hugely limits us down the line if not employed by Moyes still.
Don't worry mate. Unless you suddenly decide to switch to a high line he'd be fine for at least another 3 years Moyes or not imo. And I don't think you'd give him a 5 years deal. Probably a 3+1 max I think.

Still, we are expected to name a 25-man squad and we are actually running low on numbers. I would hate to see youngsters being forced to stay when a loan deal would be better for their development, e.g. the likes of Gore and one of the pair Amad/Pellistri. I seriously struggle to find 25 senior players at the moment, and keeping McTominay would not be a bad thing. It's not like we have sell every player that is not a regular starter.

Maguire needs to go, we all agree on that.

Keeping him is a bad thing because it means we can’t buy someone the manager wants. We don’t need 25 senior players, Maguire out would mean a new CB and Fred, DVB and Mctominay would be replaced by 2 new signings.

When you have a chance to get rid of deadwood you take it, we’ve seen what happens time and time again when you don’t and its why we never move forward.

I'd take 30m for Maguire, I wouldn't have taken the 20 from before. And for Mctominay between 35 and 40. 65 for me is enough. If we have 120m to spend, and have already spent net of add ons 162m, already received around 22m for Elanga, Telles and Zidane and take 65 fot these two that brings us to a net of 75m with 45m left to go. 26m on Amrabat which leaves 19m on a CB. The latest guy we are linked with is around 30m so we need to raise about 11m from the Henderson deal to hit our target, we should be able to deal at 15 to 20m. If we wanted to replace him, qe would have between 4 and 9m for a back up keeper. The above does not even highlight the annual wages saved, half year lap on Ronaldo, Jones, Tuanzabe, Maguire, Mctominay and more, it's at least 50m a year saved. For me 65m for both is a no brainer plus who else would pay that. Then again, West Ham are now desperate, no new signings, got thumped in a friendly a week before a new season, have reached Europe and have lost there best player. Could we push for 70m? Or is that being wishful and greedy? Interesting few days ahead.

Plus is making a mistake a game, abliet they have been friendlies.

I didn’t realise centre backs were solely judged by “who is faster?” - we should stick Rashford at CB. On an unrelated note Evans played 45 mins largely against 10 men yesterday and got destroyed twice in transition and looked slower than me. It got ignored in all the Maguire booing though.
I didn't mean to judge CB by who is faster. Just because Maguire is really slow so I was wondering who is faster now. Most men don't lose their muscles until their late 30s so things like strength, experience etc.. don't really matter here imo.

I didn't mean to judge CB by who is faster. Just because Maguire is really slow so I was wondering who is faster now. Most men don't lose their muscles until their late 30s yo so things like strength, experience etc.. don't really matter here imo.
Most players are well retired by their late 30s so I don’t understand what point you’re making. Someone at 29 is quite obviously closer to their physical peak than someone at 35.

I'd take 30m for Maguire, I wouldn't have taken the 20 from before. And for Mctominay between 35 and 40. 65 for me is enough. If we have 120m to spend, and have already spent net of add ons 162m, already received around 22m for Elanga, Telles and Zidane and take 65 fot these two that brings us to a net of 75m with 45m left to go. 26m on Amrabat which leaves 19m on a CB. The latest guy we are linked with is around 30m so we need to raise about 11m from the Henderson deal to hit our target, we should be able to deal at 15 to 20m. If we wanted to replace him, qe would have between 4 and 9m for a back up keeper. The above does not even highlight the annual wages saved, half year lap on Ronaldo, Jones, Tuanzabe, Maguire, Mctominay and more, it's at least 50m a year saved. For me 65m for both is a no brainer plus who else would pay that. Then again, West Ham are now desperate, no new signings, got thumped in a friendly a week before a new season, have reached Europe and have lost there best player. Could we push for 70m? Or is that being wishful and greedy? Interesting few days ahead.

We also got 1m from Chong.

And you haven’t listed players like Fred, Bailly, VDB who we will also likely receive some money for.

I’m more worried about West Ham’s ability to offer a contract that Maguire will be happy with than pay the fee.

I wonder if they have a limit on the overall package (wage + fee) and if one would take from the other

I guess making his players watch footage of Jagielka did pay off in the end

I’m more worried about West Ham’s ability to offer a contract that Maguire will be happy with than pay the fee.

I wonder if they have a limit on the overall package (wage + fee) and if one would take from the other
Whitwell is saying they’ll give him 100k a week meaning we need to stump up the other 90k - 8.5m over the two years of his remaining contract.

We are playing with fire here. 30m for Maguire or 60m for both of them, are both generous offers and probably there is 1 club in the world who is willing to pay that money for them. If not accept them immediately, we should at least sit with West Ham and try to make a deal.

I very much doubt we are going to get much, if any, better than this offer.

I think most people are surely thinking that with regards to Maguire. Don't want to scare them away. But with Scott he's at a good age, useful player and homegrown so no need to accept a lowball offer. He's also not on stratospheric wages like Maguire.

Am I understanding this right though, West Ham are making bids without sounding out the players first?

Christ. If we play this wrong and Maguire sits on the bench for most of the season while on 250k a week, somebody on the transfer team needs to be shot.

30m is a 'take the money' deal all day long
Well it's an interesting one isn't it? Posters here are confident we can wring another £5m out of WH for Maguire, but what then if it falls through due to our miscalculation?

Getting Maguire's absurd wage off the books is paramount as far as I see it and I don't see the position of strength we have there... well other than knowing Moyes and how laser focused on a target he gets... as well as WH's need... but so much of what we're now doing is pure gambling "calculated risk" that is fantastic if we get it right, but absolutely horrendous if we overshoot and miss.

The more they bid, the more they'll expect subsidy, too so it's a strange affair.

Most players are well retired by their late 30s so I don’t understand what point you’re making. Someone at 29 is quite obviously closer to their physical peak than someone at 35.
Most footballers retire because they got too slow not because they lose their strength. Generally once you hit 30 you start to lose your pace, acceleration but you won't lose your strength until you hit your late 30s. That's why in some sports that don't require you to run much professional players can last much longer than football. The whole talking point here is Maguire is already very slow.

Imagine if the Caf was the DOF.

Incoming: just pay what it takes to get him in!!!

Or conversely: just sell him. No point losing the deal over 5-10million quid difference.
at the same time moaning we pay too much and sell for too little money.

Have to disagree, don't think there's anything between them.
Don’t know why you think that. If you compare their histories, attendances, attainments, Roma are a much bigger club and, I think, currently a slightly better team.

Think Maguire still definitely get sorted. £32m+£3m or something like that.

McT I'm not as sure... £38+£5m might do it.