Maguire | he stays!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’d assume less so the easy solution than the right one at this moment in time. FFP/budget restrictions, maguire/Bailly still on the books etc.

I’m sure if the cash was there and/or we’ve managed to move more deadwood on, EtH would prefer to sign someone but for now they’re dealing with a lot of uncertainty.
It's a short term deal. I expect us to go for young cb next summer as one of the top priorities. Getting Maguire down the pecking order and hopefully sold is the most positive aspect of this deal. Evans is more than capable to be 4th/5th choice.
Probably Evans impressed ETH so much during the tour. Because as you guys said, Maguire and Bailly are still in the book and perfectly capable as 4th/5th CB.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably Evans impressed ETH so much during the tour. Because as you guys said, Maguire and Bailly are still in the book and perfectly capable as 4th/5th CB.
Yeah I think it ticks a few boxes - even in the event maguire doesn’t leave. Evans needed a club, we need cover in the event of last minute sales, we’re also sending the others a message by dropping them further down the pecking order etc. Evans is experienced and won’t be expecting to be playing significant minutes unless there’s an injury crisis of sorts.

Ideally we can move on both maguire and Bailly and bring a promising youngster in but I guess we’ll see.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Probably I'm just disappointed that we seem to go for "easy" solution with this type of signing. Instead of looking forward to build something for the future.

Have to say though, I have soft spot for Evans. It's great to see him at United.
A question I’d ask anyone is: starting with a clean slate, which of the two they would expect the most growth and development from over a season?

It’s a prudent solution, I’d say, on a fraction of Maguire’s wage. For a 5th CB, it’s what you’d want, surely?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A question I’d ask anyone is: starting with a clean slate, which of the two they would expect the most growth and development from over a season?

It’s a prudent solution, I’d say, on a fraction of Maguire’s wage. For a 5th CB, it’s what you’d want, surely?
Another poster said about homegrown. So i understand that weigh in also with Evans.

I'd surely keep Maguire if wage isn't a problem. But I'd also prefer the way SAF had in the past by having 4th/5th CB were young/youth players.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Another poster said about homegrown. So i understand that weigh in also with Evans.

I'd surely keep Maguire if wage isn't a problem. But I'd also prefer the way SAF had in the past by having 4th/5th CB were young/youth players.
Despite my posts in here, if wages weren't so ruinous, I would not have issue with him being a periphery of the squad, but the very fact he is means those same wages are absolutely absurd and a hindrance on many levels, not least us getting a big name CB in whose agent(s) wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't asking for parity or more than Maguire straight out the gate.

al tuna

I'll admit, haven't really kept up with Evans' career last few seasons. Without sounding like an idiot, how are he and Harry side by side in their abilities right this moment? Surely...surely he can't be an upgrade on Harry? I'm all for Harry leaving at any price just to get his wages gone but, c'mon. He has to be a better option than Evans at this moment in time, right? This has to mean Harry's gone?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Despite my posts in here, if wages weren't so ruinous, I would not have issue with him being a periphery of the squad, but the very fact he is means those same wages are absolutely absurd and a hindrance on many levels, not least us getting a big name CB in whose agent(s) wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't asking for parity or more than Maguire straight out the gate.
Yeah. That make sense on wages. It would make it difficult for the next CB purchase. Also Maguire presence in the squad as 4th/5th CB might make an awkward atmosphere. As a main England CB, he's too good for that squad role.

Nogho

The key would be to pay us an agreeable amount of money. I hear thats the key to most transfers.
Listened to Talksport this morning and their assistant manager were interviewed. He said that they, West Ham, probably would focus on getting a British spine in this summer. This after selling Rice and Noble quitting last summer and buying a lot of foreign players last year. So fingers crossed!

Tyrion

Well, I do think it matters to him, and I don't think he is not affected by having McTominay as captain before him. He is so convinced in his ability and leadership that borders on unintended arrogance.
I don't see why some think he's arrogant. What's he supposed to do? Tweet that he should be dropped?

Dve

A one year contract to Evans must mean they are certain Maguire is leaving this summer. Wouldn't make much sense to sign Evans as a 5th choice center back, or even 6th, if counting Shaw as well.

Edit: It could Lindelof leaving of course, but surely, one of them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's not just our fans who've turnt him into a meme mate. He's a meme for opposition because he's been one of the worst performing captains in our modern history.
It starts from our fans. Then it becomes easier for them to target.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It really starts from his shambolic defending and consistent clumsiness.
Didn’t have a problem with Bailly, Buttner, Telles, Elanga, Van de Beek or Rojo - hardly turned to a Meme in the strength of Maguire Memes- it starts from our fans.

Daily_Blind

Didn’t have a problem with Bailly, Buttner, Telles, Elanga, Van de Beek or Rojo - hardly turned to a Meme in the strength of Maguire Memes- it starts from our fans.
Well, of those you mentioned only Bailly compares with Maguire in terms of shambolic defending and he hasn't gotten a consistent run in the team in God knows how long. Part of the extra scrutiny is from the weight of expectations from the high price tag and the fact that he was given the captaincy right away. But, some of his defending and his penchant for injuring his own players has been comical. As far as the memes go, it's professional sports. It comes with the territory. The internet is full of compilation videos of players being embarrassed.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's become a meme because his mistakes were plenty and meme worthy. That mistake against Spurs for example. He messed up his header back towards the keeper. Most people would stop there but he then panicked, ran back and managed to pull Shaw down to the ground, preventing Shaw from attempting to clean up his mess. It's the sort of catastrophic mistake rarely seen in top level football.

Sir Chapman

Come on Moyes, prove us all wrong! Take Scott with you as well for another 40 mio.

Kostov

I can't understand the level on hatred towards Maguire. Christ on a bike, some people are so worked up by the constant Maguire memes on the internet they have grown to hate this guy with passion.

Hope he leaves for the obvious reasons, and both sides move on.

redcucumber

Maguire hasn't helped himself but it's definitely been blown way out of proportion by the internet. Phil Jones had it for a bit, too. United players get a different level of scrutiny and people love it when we do badly, which makes our players targets.

red.knight

Maguire is the problem and he has to leave. Lindelof played great without Maguire, in place of Licha at the end of last season. It's Varane and Martinez backed by Lindelof and Shaw with Evans as 5th CB. Casemiro can also play there as can McTominay. We don’t need a 6th choice CB on 200K. I suspect not being captain was not a surprise to Maguire. At least Ten Hag had the decency not to take it away mid season.

Counterfactual

He'd be great for you, Moyes! Chuck in your redundancy money from United and make it happen. You'll be playing in that Uefa Europa Subbuteo competition again before you know it!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If he doesn't leave this summer, I'm pretty sure he's considered the fact that he won't be paid as much out there as he is with United, and is just happy to see his contract out as long as possible.

FerociousCorgis

split the difference and just go 55 million west ham come on for the both of them. Spend half that rice money and get a starting CB and i assume a starting cm for them (no idea where west ham would play mctominay). Plus get that british spine going there idk. With the going market rate not horrible for guaranteed starters with international experience that prob fit their system decently well.