Maguire | he stays!

buckooo1978

Definitely need him to leave....all about getting a deal that satisfies us and West Ham

he wont cope with Onana-ball at the back

Shaw a good deputy and it gives a bit of opportunity for Malacia and Alvaro Fernandez

Daily_Blind

His clumsiness is really what annoys me. There was a moment in the Arsenal preseason match where he just plowed through one of their players. It's not an infrequent occurrence with him either. It's like he lacks the athletic ability to stop his body or shift directions in a timely manner.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
30M and move him on IMO.

Sell Fred, VBD or McT and Maguire in this window for 60-70M combined.

We still need a back up GK, a CM and potentially another CB.

Next year Martials contract runs out, we'll be getting another #9 in next transfer window IMO but not this one.

Maguire makes too many errors to be kept around the squad.

C'est Moi Cantona

Maguire isn't likely to leave, so the best options for me are -

Martinez - Varane,
Varane or Martinez - Shaw,
Varane or Martinez - Lindelof,
Varane or Martinez - Maguire,
Lindelof - Shaw

The combination we just have to not let happen is Maguire - Lindelof.

Devil You Know

From a Maguire point if view I don't really get why he's still here, he's never getting into the team ahead of Varane. It would be like prime Andy Carroll trying to displace Prime Van persie. That's the gulf of class between them. At this stage of his career it doesn't make sense to sit on the bench either. Is it the wages?
Prime Van Persie (the one at Arsenal), just like current Varane, was massively injury prone. Both Carroll and Maguire would get opportunities.

Also, for a lot of players it's better to be a squad player at Manchester United than a starter for West Ham. If it wasn't, we'd never have anyone to sit on bench.

That said, I do think he wants to go. West Ham wouldn't be bidding if they hadn't talked to his agent and been told he'd eventually sign a contract. It's currently United doing the blocking. We're the ones who turned down the bid, not Maguire.

wolvored

Caicedo won't be a bargain price,if he was then would already be wearing Chelsea shirt
No I meant when Brighton got him. We should take a punt on a raw talent what wouldnt break the bank and if doesnt come off, not really lost anything. Was ha about 5 mill?

Trex

Prime Van Persie (the one at Arsenal), just like current Varane, was massively injury prone. Both Carroll and Maguire would get opportunities.

Also, for a lot of players it's better to be a squad player at Manchester United than a starter for West Ham. If it wasn't, we'd never have anyone to sit on bench.

That said, I do think he wants to go. West Ham wouldn't be bidding if they hadn't talked to his agent and been told he'd eventually sign a contract. It's currently United doing the blocking. We're the ones who turned down the bid, not Maguire.
All report says he's keen on staying though, the thing is its not just the presence of Varane though, if Varane becomes so injury prone that ETH can't rely on him I think ETH will buy another center back at the closest opportunity than rely on Maguire. The manager doesn't rate him, we're turning down bids because its too low not because he's fancied.

littlepeasoup

Eh? No he doesn't

His agent needs to do what's right by Harry Maguire. United be damned.

Part 1 of that is ensuring Maguire in 1 way or another gets every cent owed on his contract, whether it's United or another club that pays it.
For sure it’s in his best interest financially to languish in the squad getting the odd appearance here or there. No argument against that.

What’s clear is that he probably has no long term future at United, and if he wants to play he needs to leave, in which case he needs to tell his agent to find him a new club that can afford his wages and pay the fee United will want.

Doubt either of those ducks line up though, and very much anticipate him being a United player when the window closes.

Tinúviel

Varane missing again last night and Lindelof not covering himself in glory with the gifted goal. Easy to see why he would consider staying.
Last man to back Ole. Last man to back Harry. I think its safe to say, mate, you are terrible at judging quality. Its like you discard logical thinking and only go by your fee fees. Varane and Lindelöf är miles ahead of Maguire and its not hard to see why.

doomy20

His FFP number is 27M to offset the hit to our books if we let him go. Is it worth selling him for less if that means we don't sign Arambat or wheover Erik's next target is? Lot of moving parts to this but the point stands that we need someone to cover those minutes and if the offer isn't even covering the hit to our books why should we do him or West Ham a favour? His remaining salary is already baked into our accounts moving forward so if he stays he is not a problem to us getting our business done.
I get the point but I think there’s to much talk about FFP at the moment. Let’s say we get 27M and he leaves in August. In the 23/24 season he would earn exactly 10M pounds. So that makes 27M fee and 10M in saved salary for this season alone, so 37M. Is it really worth neglecting this for minor 4th/5th choice jobs he would do this season? I don’t think so. And as I said, the club won’t collapse if we don‘t immediately get a new guy in rn, we‘ll survive.

croadyman

No I meant when Brighton got him. We should take a punt on a raw talent what wouldnt break the bank and if doesnt come off, not really lost anything. Was ha about 5 mill?
Yeah he was but unfortunately Brighton had the advantage of dealing with someone previously with similar complicated ownership

croadyman

30M and move him on IMO.

Sell Fred, VBD or McT and Maguire in this window for 60-70M combined.

We still need a back up GK, a CM and potentially another CB.

Next year Martials contract runs out, we'll be getting another #9 in next transfer window IMO but not this one.

Maguire makes too many errors to be kept around the squad.
Could see us going for Toney in next window or all in for Ferguson next summer to replace Martial

Stig

Martinez - Varane,
Lindelof - Shaw

Are we not keeping Jonny Evans ?

Daily_Blind

Can we read anything into Evans getting to work with Licha last night? If we offered Evans a one-year deal i seriously wonder if Maguire would even be ahead of him in the pecking order. Granted Evans is old, but he seems much more composed on the ball than Maguire.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Can we read anything into Evans getting to work with Licha last night? If we offered Evans a one-year deal i seriously wonder if Maguire would even be ahead of him in the pecking order. Granted Evans is old, but he seems much more composed on the ball than Maguire.
Evans would be ahead of Maguire.

The thing is we need good positioning and composure on the ball to control games.

Maguire makes too many errors if he's pressed or there's any opposing players nearby, plus he isn't good at anything that requires blocks or getting in the way of the flight of the ball. All of those things at Maguires age he isn't going to learn, he's not a young defender anymore. There's no way he makes it last the next summer.

As soon as United set the asking price as 30M hes gone

croadyman

Evans would be ahead of Maguire.

The thing is we need good positioning and composure on the ball to control games.

Maguire makes too many errors if he's pressed or there's any opposing players nearby, plus he isn't good at anything that requires blocks or getting in the way of the flight of the ball. All of those things at Maguires age he isn't going to learn, he's not a young defender anymore. There's no way he makes it last the next summer.

As soon as United set the asking price as 30M hes gone
The question is will we set price at £30m

Wing Attack Plan R

I think it can be read as EtH not rating Maguire, and Evans tested out as a stopgap should we sell Maguire. I personally would play Evans ahead of Maguire.

Sir Chapman

Do you think will we really get rid of Harry? I mean, he’s earning his best contract ever, he won’t push for an exit, no one will pay him the money he wants, ETH won’t play him many games but somehow he’s not bothering around at all.

I think we should take the chance to sell him by first chance and not wasting any negotiation. If it’s 20 mio. like the West Ham offer, then be it as otherwise we’re stuck with him and his huge salary as a bench warmer. We have way too many players and need to sell those.

Unfortunately, all the heavy contracts which were done by ETH predecessors with certain players, now needs to get sorted out so there’s an obvious chance we’ll lose money but we have to go through it and put the club back to a healthy status with all these contracts.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Evans is terrible defensively, they should have a better plan than giving him a deal if they sell Maguire.

Newstyle

Pau Torres went for 31.5m this year. Akanji to city for 15m, Collins for 20m this year. All good CB’s with promise and resale value.

The only CB’s that moved clubs this year so far that were worth 30m and above are Kim, Timber and Lucas Hernandez.

the only 30+ cb that moved clubs in the last three years that I can remember is Koulibaly and he had good reputation last year when he did move.

I mean we got 28 years old Varane for about 34m pounds, come on.
This needs to be pinned.
These are the same people making a meme out of Maguire and then expecting someone to pay up.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Last man to back Ole. Last man to back Harry. I think its safe to say, mate, you are terrible at judging quality. Its like you discard logical thinking and only go by your fee fees. Varane and Lindelöf är miles ahead of Maguire and its not hard to see why.
Weird comment totally irrelevant to my post.

'Logical thinking' here thinking is Maguire is at his dream club and might want to fight for his place, with only an injury prone Varane and average at best Lindelof in his way.

Logic (and the manager) also says that we need at least 4 CBs and so are in no rush to sell one for a low fee.

As for judging quality, you wanted Potter here over Ten Hag :lol:

wolvored

Weird comment totally irrelevant to my post.

'Logical thinking' here thinking is Maguire is at his dream club and might want to fight for his place, with only an injury prone Varane and average at best Lindelof in his way.

Logic (and the manager) also says that we need at least 4 CBs and so are in no rush to sell one for a low fee.

As for judging quality, you wanted Potter here over Ten Hag :lol:
Shaw was picked before him last year. So needs 3 out of the 4 who played CB last year, to be injured.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No just saying whatever combination he was definitely 5th choice last season.
Irrelevant what rank you want to put him. In the end he's 'being better than Lindelof' away from playing pretty regularly. If he doesn't back himself to win that battle then he'll struggle to make a team like West Ham's first XI either.

All while picking up £200k a week. I get that some are desperate for him to move but easy to see why he and the club don't see it as priority.

glasgow 21

Correct if West ham are willing to lodge a bid of 50m ( Non conditional on Maguire's part) on Maguire and McTominay then i would take and replace with Amrabat and Sutalo for the same money. United need to move on from this situation, Maguire is one mistake away from more toxicity and we know he has it in him at United. West ham will set up to suit his attributes more and would be a good deal all round.

wolvored

Irrelevant what rank you want to put him. In the end he's 'being better than Lindelof' away from playing pretty regularly. If he doesn't back himself to win that battle then he'll struggle to make a team like West Ham's first XI either.

All while picking up £200k a week. I get that some are desperate for him to move but easy to see why he and the club don't see it as priority.
The club are dreaming if they think that they will get more than £30 mill for him. As you said his wages are a big red flag to teams who might want him. He will be here and play in a dozen or so games, probably most as an 80 min sub.

zenith

If we get close to 30 million for him, then that's really the best we will ever get. Take it and run

BorisManUtd

From a Maguire point if view I don't really get why he's still here, he's never getting into the team ahead of Varane. It would be like prime Andy Carroll trying to displace Prime Van persie. That's the gulf of class between them. At this stage of his career it doesn't make sense to sit on the bench either. Is it the wages?
Probably mostly wages but also the fact that Varane is injury-prone so Maguire could get some minutes from time to time. Also it's possible he believes he could benefit from different goalkeeper in Onana.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If we can get anything north of £20m, maybe £20 plus a few add ons, I’d take that. The fee plus the big saving on his wages can be recycled into a player Ten Hag actually wants. I’d honestly take Evans on a one year deal to cover Maguire's scant minutes whilst working with the reserves when he’s not needed.

The alternative is keeping him another year, paying his big wages, have him play a few games here and there, being barracked for every little mistake or weird pointing motion, and being selected for an awkward interview by the media after every match he plays. Then next summer he'll be worth half as much.

Tony247

He is 40-45m worth for a team that doesn't want to play high line defense.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ch
Martinez - Varane,
Lindelof - Shaw

Shaw-Martinez is a no-go also.

With Maguire his worth is quite subjective. For us he's not worth too much as he does not tactically fit into the side, we have to make significant compromises. Maybe Evans can sort that spot out for a year if Maguire is sold, but I'd like us to sign a pacey defender as backup to Varane, even if they're young and inexperienced.

We don't know what the West Ham offer really was, 20m bandied about but what about the wages? We're seeing Disasi go for 40m and Chelsea setting a 45m price on Chalobah, so it's not out of the question to seek more than 20m for Maguire, but the wages are the issue here. I can't imagine the club turning down 20m and all the wages taken on by West Ham.

spiriticon

Anything around 30 million I would take.

Nobody will pay 40 million for a 30 year old defender who already has the pace and reactions of a snail. Imagine him at 35 years old.

We paid £40 million for Varane. Maguire is simply several levels below.

poleglass red

Shaw-Martinez is a no-go also.

With Maguire his worth is quite subjective. For us he's not worth too much as he does not tactically fit into the side, we have to make significant compromises. Maybe Evans can sort that spot out for a year if Maguire is sold, but I'd like us to sign a pacey defender as backup to Varane, even if they're young and inexperienced.

We don't know what the West Ham offer really was, 20m bandied about but what about the wages? We're seeing Disasi go for 40m and Chelsea setting a 45m price on Chalobah, so it's not out of the question to seek more than 20m for Maguire, but the wages are the issue here. I can't imagine the club turning down 20m and all the wages taken on by West Ham.

that's exactly the reason the fee was so low. Clubs have to factor that into any deal for Maguire. They'll lowball the transfer fee due to his high wages, but also too, they know we need to sell, they know the manager doesn't fancy him. I'd imagine Utd are just trying to squeeze a bit more out of West Ham. To put into context, Calvin Bassey just signed for Fulham for just under 20 mill. Maguire is a full england international, Bassey just had an indifferent season in Holland, Maguire's fee should be much higher than his, but comes back to wages.

Revan

Assumptionman
£40M-45M would be a fair price for both parties, I think.
Name 30+ years old CBs who have gone for 40m+. The list is empty.

Now name 30+ years old CBs, who are fifth choice CB at their club, who went for 40m+. The list of course is empty.

For context, first-choice CB for Real Madrid, who had won 4 UCLs and 1 World Cup, cost United 34m pounds. As a 28 years old. Expecting for a significantly worse player who is 2 years older, and fifth choice at his club, 40m is beyond deluded. If we insist in that price, or even 30m+, he will remain here and we won't be able to sell him for even 10m next summer.

Last edited:

Battery

I can see him leaving for about £25m and we sub his wages to make it happen.

You saw it laid out perfectly in the last game, he is so far away from playing how ETH wants... never mind the previous episodes of Carry on Defending.

Stig

All the power here is with Maguire. He's got the contract with the big wages.

Stay or go he's getting his money.

The choice is all his.