View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Irwin99

A bit underwhelming pre-season from Shaw so far, so let's hope he's not on to his good-every-second-season rutine. I think he'l have a good one, though, just having a tiny worry.
I was thinking that but didn't want to mention it and be negative :lol:

To be fair he had a rotten start to last season and was replaced by Malacia in the third game. Won his place back after the Manchester derby and had a really good season in the end.

FujiVice

Shaw started last season shite as well. Hope he hits the ground running.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
A bit underwhelming pre-season from Shaw so far, so let's hope he's not on to his good-every-second-season rutine. I think he'l have a good one, though, just having a tiny worry.
Maybe he's too thin now? :smirk:

Just by looking at him he seems to be in absolute super shape, that might not be working for him. :p

criticalanalysis

Such a lazy player, it's infuriating.

Barely crossed the half way line to offer an overlap, barely sprinted to close down balls and was absolutely atrocious offering a passing angle and on the ball. Martinez would draw a player towards him and then pass it to a relatively free Shaw, who would be on his heels, stand on the ball, wait till an opponent comes near him and then with minimal movement pass a ball back to Martinez or Onana. He doesn't open his body up to carry the ball and then plays our players into danger. I hope it's just pre-season and him being typically slow starting but we desperately need Malacia back if this is our tactics going forward, who is very sound on the ball and extremely press resistant.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah looks like he constantly needs someone breathing behind his neck to get going

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah looks like he constantly needs someone breathing behind his neck to get going
Don’t worry he’ll come good again once the season gets going. ETH won’t tolerate fools, he’ll get a rocket up his arse if he isn’t putting a shift in and giving 100% every game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Don’t worry he’ll come good again once the season gets going. ETH won’t tolerate fools, he’ll get a rocket up his arse if he isn’t putting a shift in and giving 100% every game.
And if he does not he loses his place. ETH is ruthless

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Barely crossed the half way line to offer an overlap, barely sprinted to close down balls and was absolutely atrocious offering a passing angle and on the ball. Martinez would draw a player towards him and then pass it to a relatively free Shaw, who would be on his heels, stand on the ball, wait till an opponent comes near him and then with minimal movement pass a ball back to Martinez or Onana. He doesn't open his body up to carry the ball and then plays our players into danger. I hope it's just pre-season and him being typically slow starting but we desperately need Malacia back if this is our tactics going forward, who is very sound on the ball and extremely press resistant.
Shaw looked half asleep out there but even a half asleep Shaw is better at progressing the ball than Malacia. Malacia doesn’t lose the ball easily but he struggles to move it to anywhere useful.

criticalanalysis

Shaw looked half asleep out there but even a half asleep Shaw is better at progressing the ball than Malacia. Malacia doesn’t lose the ball easily but he struggles to move it to anywhere useful.
This version of Shaw is a net negative and doesn't suit our current way of play. If we want to draw the opposition and play through them/their press then Malacia is much better in this aspect; he will be able to hold the ball and find the free man, which means it will be at least a progressive pass. I don't know the stats but it seemed like more than half of Shaw's passes went backwards towards a pressed Martinez/Onana. He played more like a centre back doing a job at full back than the Shaw we all know what he's capable of.

For other players this may be hyperbole but knowing Shaw's tendencies and track record, it's not a harsh criticism at all and something we should be weary of.

Holocene

Shaw is much better at those things than Malacia.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'd like to see him attack a lot more, I think he plays slightly on the conservative side.

criticalanalysis

Shaw is much better at those things than Malacia.
The basis of my post was the Shaw we saw today.

In general though, better on the ball going forward, yes hands down. 'Press resistance' arguable imo as it depends on the situations. When Shaw doesn't open his body and legs i.e to carry a ball, there are times like today where I think his technique and approach when controlling a ball are far too relaxed. Whenever an opponent stands in front of him, he'll be on his heels and will just push pass an awkward/not really advantageous ball, which means we end going backwards and recycling the ball back to the keeper and allow the opposition to push us back again. It's not entirely his fault as someone like Garnacho can drop faster but for Shaw's ability, he really should be doing better.

Trex

I'd like to see him attack a lot more, I think he plays slightly on the conservative side.
He's been asked to play a deep sitting role. A center/fullback hybrid role. He can't be too adventurous.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think he's instructed to play a bit deeper with the arrival of Mount and our team being higher up in general.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was interesting after Jadon came on, Casemiro dropped inbetween Varane and Martinez, Shaw screened and Dalot pushed on to create the 6 ahead of them.

I like him there, he can be dangerous with his ability to pick a pass, almost had Rashford on for his second from that position, will be a good option when trying to pick apart low blocks.

Eddy_JukeZ

Was interesting after Jadon came on, Casemiro dropped inbetween Varane and Martinez, Shaw screened and Dalot pushed on to create the 6 ahead of them.

I like him there, he can be dangerous with his ability to pick a pass, almost had Rashford on for his second from that position, will be a good option when trying to pick apart low blocks.
He's an excellent footballer. He might be the most complete footballer in our squad. Excellent as a full-back. Did very well as a left-sided center back last year. Pretty sure he'd be good in midfield as well.

Idxomer

Surprised by the criticism after his performance yesterday, I thought he was great in the 2nd half. He even moved to the midfield in the last 15 minutes or so and looked very comfortable there.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's an excellent footballer. He might be the most complete footballer in our squad. Excellent as a full-back. Did very well as a left-sided center back last year. Pretty sure he'd be good in midfield as well.
Yup, it’s why I’ve said he could be a DM when people were saying we should try Lindelof there during our Ole years.

Man Utd 1:0 Wolves

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Would like to see him do something going forward too (there was one good run to the box where Rashford’s brilliant pass found him), but quite a few big, big blocks and last ditch tackles in the last 20 minutes. Put his body on the line, happy with that.

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He was pretty disappointing for me, zero intensity, barely any overlapping and just seemed sluggish. Maybe he just is a better CB, just not what I'd want to see from a fullback.

Irwin99

Thought he looked poor for the first half an hour but grew into the game and got some vital blocks in. I don't balme him for the yellow card-that was a right hospital pass from Garnacho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was pretty disappointing for me, zero intensity, barely any overlapping and just seemed sluggish. Maybe he just is a better CB, just not what I'd want to see from a fullback.
I don’t think he was meant to be overlapping, I think he was meant to be tucking in. Which is something far beyond my understanding tactically.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don’t think he was meant to be overlapping, I think he was meant to be tucking in. Which is something far beyond my understanding tactically.
Yeah it’s clear that he was leaving the left wing free for Garnacho, stepping into midfield and occasionally covering for Martinez. Much more of a 3rd centre back supporting midfield than a left back supporting the wing. Not sure whether it’s just when Garnacho plays or that’s a new system we’re aiming for, but it was the same in the last pre season game. Like a lot of players, he didn’t seem to know exactly how to play it. It all looks a bit weird at the moment.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

Yeah it’s clear that he was leaving the left wing free for Garnacho, stepping into midfield and occasionally covering for Martinez. Much more of a 3rd centre back supporting midfield than a left back supporting the wing. Not sure whether it’s just when Garnacho plays or that’s a new system we’re aiming for, but it was the same in the last pre season game. Like a lot of players, he didn’t seem to know exactly how to play it. It all looks a bit weird at the moment.
Could be wrong, but I think he’s supposed to invert and serve as the extra midfielder that we’re missing with two number 8s that are really 10s

Marwood

He was tucking in but more as a CB than a CM.

He's not got the engine to get up and down that line. It's been evident for a while.

He's a better CB than LB for me now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ideally, this should be a season in which he will cement himself as world class LB if he stays injury free, but knowing how he can go to sleep any time the team isn't performing well, it's well possible he won't improve a lot and could remain lethargic like rest of the team too.

Was pretty slow attacking wise last night in some crucial moments, but I thought he play well defensively tbf.

abailey123

Really don’t know what him and Garnacho where defending for Spurs 1st goal

criticalanalysis

Happened last season too.

Starts the game on his heels and plays like he needs 60 mins to warm up. One or two genuine moments of quality pepped with 90 mins of passivity.

Remember the geese

Mate, you're a left back. Not a centre back. This isn't some fancy new tactical fad that Erik has brought in. He's been doing it for years. Nice ball in for the sitter that Bruno 50p headed.

Irwin99

Happened last season too.

Starts the game on his heels and plays like he needs 60 mins to warm up. One or two genuine moments of quality pepped with 90 mins of passivity.
To be honest both our full backs are guilty of that sometimes. AWB did exactly the same against Wolves where he and Pellistri just completely switched off for one chance but everyone forgot it because he had a good match last Monday. Shaw had some moments of class today but he just looks like he can't get going. Started last season poorly too.

SAFMUTD

Lazy performance he was jogging in many situations leaving his whole side unprotected. I lost count how many times he got caught out if position.