6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main impression I've got from watching Shaw this season is how much better he is on the ball than I was previously giving him credit for. Some lovely touches in the opposition third, including a flicked nutmeg pass that Ronaldinho would have been proud of. After that, my next impression is less positive. He's still not fit enough. I kept asking myself "where the feck is Shaw" and then he'd trot into view about a second after everyone else like that baby rhino in Jumanji. This happened at both ends of the pitch so wasn't about being too attacking or too defensive, just not working hard enough to get up and down the touchline. Tbf it was less noticeable last night than in previous games so he must be building up some sort of fitness. If he can somehow get an engine as good as Valencia he'll be a hell of a player but that's still a big if for me, right now.

That pass between defenders which set Martial free in the box was very good. Even a midfielder would have been proud of that.

I think he's back for good.

Miracles can happen

I hope so too!

Before that horrible leg injury he was one of our standout players, saw some signs yesterday that reminded me of that form he had before the injury. Especially going forward but also in duels in the back.

He also looked very calm on the ball.

Really want this fella to be successful at United!

He's a very good player that has been made out to be some sort of arsehole. Even worse, idiots have actively sought to pretend he's a poor player, something so stupid that it begs the question as to whether or not they even watched him (they probably didn't) aged 17 at Southampton.

We could have been playing him a long time ago and witnessed similarly good form. Waste of time, all round. Great management, or something.

He's actually really helpful in helping us keep the ball better. Has a very natural feel of the game and is an instinctive footballer.. knows where to pass, when to pass etc.

Under a nicer manager would have made a quicker comeback imo. Anyway if we were to lose him, he's proven that he'd get snapped up pretty quickly.

At the moment, I think LS is making the most of the opportunities that have come his way through others being shite, injured or banned. Yesterday, he was pretty composed and looked a threat - a massive positive for him given how poor he has been under JM when he's had an opportunity.
Is he the best LB at the club - hard to tell, but I hope he gets the chance to nail his place in the side over the next few weeks. It would be great if he could, because I feel Ashley Young could be quite useful further up the pitch.

He's a very good player that has been made out to be some sort of arsehole. Even worse, idiots have actively sought to pretend he's a poor player, something so stupid that it begs the question as to whether or not they even watched him (they probably didn't) aged 17 at Southampton.

We could have been playing him a long time ago and witnessed similarly good form. Waste of time, all round. Great management, or something.

Whilst I agree with the jist of your post, regardless of talent, no player who isn't fully committed should be playing. No top manager would allow that. Getting questioned by multiple managers the way he did isn't something to ignore, that's not a good sign. The kid basically came out himself and said he wasn't fully committed.

So no, I wouldn't say it's great management, but simply expected management.

At the moment, I think LS is making the most of the opportunities that have come his way through others being shite, injured or banned. Yesterday, he was pretty composed and looked a threat - a massive positive for him given how poor he has been under JM when he's had an opportunity.
Is he the best LB at the club - hard to tell, but I hope he gets the chance to nail his place in the side over the next few weeks. It would be great if he could, because I feel Ashley Young could be quite useful further up the pitch.

I agree with this. Young in midfield and going forward is an asset. Work-rate, commitment, positive attitude.

Whilst I agree with the jist of your post, regardless of talent, no player who isn't fully committed should be playing. No top manager would allow that. Getting questioned by multiple managers the way he did isn't something to ignore, that's not a good sign. The kid basically came out himself and said he wasn't fully committed.

So no, I wouldn't say it's great management, but simply expected management.
What have you seen or heard recently leads you to believe his commitment is in question?

Last 3 games he's been included by Mourinho. Suggests he trusts the lad rather than questioning him

I agree with this. Young in midfield and going forward is an asset. Work-rate, commitment, positive attitude.
He is/was an attacking mid anyway. Not convinced he can nail a place there now at his age. Great converted full back though.

On another point, we really need to get proper full backs in and not converted wingers who are past their prime as attackers

What have you seen or heard recently leads you to believe his commitment is in question?

Last 3 games he's been included by Mourinho. Suggests he trusts the lad rather than questioning him

I'm not talking about recently. I'm talking about earlier on in the season. In fact I think he's been very good of late and I wouldn't be surprised if his professionalism has improved.

I'm not talking about recently. I'm talking about earlier on in the season. In fact I think he's been very good of late and I wouldn't be surprised if his professionalism has improved.
So why judge him on past indiscretions? It's all rumour and conjecture anyway. There's been a lot of unsubstantiated reports about his 'attitude,' etc.

If we were to judge them all on what they did in the past, half this squad wouldn't be wearing the shirt.

Let's move on eh? Game to game

So why judge him on past indiscretions? It's all rumour and conjecture anyway. There's been a lot of unsubstantiated reports about his 'attitude,' etc.

If we were to judge them all on what they did in the past, half this squad wouldn't be wearing the shirt.

Let's move on eh? Game to game

I'm not judging him on the past, I'm very happy to see how he's doing right now. I was just saying, it could explain why he wasn't playing back then.

I'm not judging him on the past, I'm very happy to see how he's doing right now. I was just saying, it could explain why he wasn't playing back then.

If I took heed of all the shit I've heard about this player and that over the years, I could have written a very funny book.

I'd have been sued to hell but it would have got a load of laughs.

Don't believe the stuff you've heard about Shaw. A lot of crap.

He was playing really well till he got a terrible injury. He returned but didn't look great..shock, horror!!! The Caf expects a player that has been out for a year to come back immediately and play exactly the way he did prior to the injury.

Player doesn't= Terrrible attitude. Caf reacts with indignation.

Player improves with more game time= Caf says, he's playing well....what a shock!

Promising return, nothing more. Big question marks on his fitness and ability in the final third still.
Both fullbacks were under instructions not to over commit. He played 90 mins in tough conditions, 48 hrs after playing in another game.

What question marks are referring to?

At 18 years of age, Shaw was scarily good at Southampton. He got it all to be the best left back in the Prem, maybe even Europe. Just ask Gary Neville.
Would be such a shame if he didn't make it here and the waste of talent would be similar to Anderson.

Luke, if you read this, I want you to know that I believe in you.
And that's why we would be utter bellends to sell him. He'll be the best, feck the five yr older Danny Rose.
The joy I get from reading this threads like this https://www.redcafe.net/threads/fro...-contract-unlikely-to-sign-danny-rose.431689/ is difficult to describe.

As much as Kevin Keegan would love to beat us back in 1996 I LOVE to see that Luke Shaw is proving 99% of all Caftards wrong. And I was right. Thank you, Luke. Keep it up.

He's gained Mourinho's trust now, that much is clear. He could have easily played Blind or Darmian instead over the last 2 matches, but he's sticking with Luke. I think he's been very good the last few games, obviously there is still areas he can improve, but we finally look like we've got a player that can do everything well.

Playing regularly will also build his fitness back up, it takes a few games to get back to your peak.

We would be bonkers to let him go, he will definitely go somewhere else and have a good career.

I thought he was decent yesterday. Still don't think he's the long term solution, as he lacks the intelligence and technique which is evident both offensively and defensively. I think the things he's lacking are ones that rarely come with age. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong in the coming months.

Well, I personally never called him an arsehole or a poor player, but, how long are you willing to wait before he shows his true potential? Are you saying its Jose's fault that Shaw has not been committed to his progress and looks more like a sumo athlete than a footballer?

He needs to put his head down, work hard and make the LB position his own. Everyone know he can, I m sure Jose knows that too. But sometimes, some tough love is needed.

Personally, I think Young should also compete with Valencia at RB when all are fit. For me, Valencia isn’t the force he once was, and Young puts far, far better delivery in than him too. Onhis stronger right foot, Young would be able to cross on the run and create a number of chances on the overlap.

Both fullbacks were under instructions not to over commit. He played 90 mins in tough conditions, 48 hrs after playing in another game.

What question marks are referring to?

His crossing and contribution in the final third is still very poor. How many assists does he have in over 3 seasons ? Not more than 5.

Yes, he played 90 minutes x 2 in 48 hours but he has a tendency to disappear physically in the last 20 minutes of games, we've seen this before and after his injury. High hopes for him but not 100 % convinced he's the answer long term. I hope he proves me wrong !

I've been pleasantly surprised by his recent performances. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season and stays fit, I'll be happy to go with him again next season as long was we get suitable cover for him.

He played some nice through balls when close to their box last night and did some good overlapping.

He whipped a delicious ball in early on in the game which no one attacked too.

Had a solid game at Everton, like most of our players, who felt they were in 'business' all night.

But just going back to the Saints game, he really has to stop (when the game is tight and we need a goal) just kicking the ball against a defender to win a corner when said ball is still about 20 yards from the goalline. We need better delivery and threat than that when the game is in 'squeaky-bum time' mode.

The ball could be laid off - he could try and take the defender on - but that just feels like 'I just give up' mode and isn't worthy of a League Two player.

Apart from that, encouraging signs (although I still believe Jose might be putting him in the shop window).

With regards to the 'shop window' comments, he didn't really play Depay and Schneiderlin last season before they were sold and didn't really play Blind and Darmian much these past few months this season and we know they're on the way out. If he didn't believe Shaw was the best option available with our injury/suspension problems at fullback, he wouldn't play him.

I agree that Shaw is likely on his way out but Mourinho is playing him at the moment because he thinks he is better than the alternatives.

I'm not so sure he is on his way out now, or at the very least, it might end up being up to him. If he stays fit for the majority of the rest of the season, and plays to a similar level, losing him then forking out significant money on a replacement and possible a back up to go with it, would make very little sense.

He still looks suspect defensively to me, and he thumps the ball into the opposition fullbacks legs a little too often for my liking when he gets forwards. A few of his performances since he's been back though have been light years ahead of what Darmian and Blind offer. Even the less impressive ones have still arguably been better.

If he shows he can do it with some consistency it isn't necessarily too late for him.

Really pleased to see him playing well on recent games. He played all the games on whole Christmas fixtures and he still looked really sharp yesterday. He must be worked really hard to improve his fatigue and body.

If he stays fit, I don't think we need to look for a left back on the market. Him and Young should be enough to cover that position then we can look after the right back first.

I've been pleasantly surprised by his recent performances. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season and stays fit, I'll be happy to go with him again next season as long was we get suitable cover for him.

He played some nice through balls when close to their box last night and did some good overlapping.

He whipped a delicious ball in early on in the game which no one attacked too.

Shaw played well in attack. He has the ability to play a fine through ball, and I also like that he puts in aimed crosses, usually on the ground, rather than random crosses like Miki and to some extent Valencia.

The interplay between him, Pogba, and Martial was excellent.

However, he does look hesitant at times and needs to build up his confidence.

He still looks suspect defensively to me, and he thumps the ball into the opposition fullbacks legs a little too often for my liking when he gets forwards.

Evra made a career out of it tbf, he was winning at least 3 or 4 corners in every game by doing that during his last couple of years and everyone was fine with that, and Valencia is doing it for years(not winning many corners like Evra used to do though). He looks to have better crossing when the ball passes the defender than both of them though, so I don't see why people are too annoyed with his crossing.

His defensive game looks suspicious, but I think he can improve. In general, he looks far better than anyone else we have there, he looks like a proper natural fullback which is refreshing to see, so hopefully he can still improve and play important part this year.

He's back from the dead and I'm loving it! He's always been an extremely talented player, I mean he made PL team of the season at 18 ffs. He's had issues since joining including a horrendous injury and possibly confidence / fitness issues, but he's clearly an immensely talented player. Some of the vile comments on here over the past few years have been far worse than anything Lingard has seen (who is apparently villified more than any other player ever).

The main impression I've got from watching Shaw this season is how much better he is on the ball than I was previously giving him credit for. Some lovely touches in the opposition third, including a flicked nutmeg pass that Ronaldinho would have been proud of. After that, my next impression is less positive. He's still not fit enough. I kept asking myself "where the feck is Shaw" and then he'd trot into view about a second after everyone else like that baby rhino in Jumanji. This happened at both ends of the pitch so wasn't about being too attacking or too defensive, just not working hard enough to get up and down the touchline. Tbf it was less noticeable last night than in previous games so he must be building up some sort of fitness. If he can somehow get an engine as good as Valencia he'll be a hell of a player but that's still a big if for me, right now.

Yeah I'd agree there, it was a bit weird though I'm not sure whether it's a mixture of fitness and/or just general indecision because he's not that confident yet and overly worried by Mourinho's criticism.

He has the physical attributes to get touch tight and overlap consistently but it seems he makes those half-second decisions not to go and that's basically all the momentum lost to press/provide width.

I thought he was decent yesterday. Still don't think he's the long term solution, as he lacks the intelligence and technique which is evident both offensively and defensively. I think the things he's lacking are ones that rarely come with age. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong in the coming months.

Two things he absolutely does not lack.

After Mkhi last year and Martial this year, I actually have hope that Jose might keep him after all and barring injuries, Shaw will most certainly grasp that starting LB spot.
Jose has time after time repeated that he won't sell a player that doesn't want to leave but waits patiently to prove himself. Shaw has shown excellent attitude waiting patiently for his turn. Yes, he has much scope for improvement, positoning, crossing and final ball wise but he is 22. And, most of his aspects are already upto a decent level.

Kudos to the board if they have pointed out to Mourinho that Shaw’s already as good as, and potentially much better than, Rose.

Kudos to the board if they have pointed out to Mourinho that Shaw’s already as good as, and potentially much better than, Rose.

What the feck do the board know about football?

I really hope Luke Shaw makes it at United as he's my favourite player in our squad. I know he still looks like he's finding his way back towards the expected fitness levels and his decision making is still a bit suspect, but I really believe he can make it as our main LB and be worth our investment. Hope it all comes together!

Status
Not open for further replies.