Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case the difference isn't big. Shearer gets from 15 (without penos) to 20:eek:. You still have to take themright I guess.

Yeah, still they have to score and Shearer was arguably the best in the league.

Why are we excluding penalties though? I know that’s counterintuitive given that I want Lukuku to go - but you would never look at Shearer’s record, or Henry’s record minus pens. Putting the ball in the back of the net from the spot is a skill, and it’s as worthy as a goal scored from 30 yards or from 2 inches.
This. You expect your striker to be a good penalty taker as it's strongly connected to finishing and composure. Don't like all these 'penalties are a lottery' claims.

Does anyone really think we're going to sell Lukaku and buy a replacement all in four weeks?

I don't.

Selling Lukaku. Maybe. But itd be one hell of a risk to go with rashford and martial as the only strikers.

That's why they should always be included in discussions.

Well when I talk about highest goal scorer in PL history, I would say Shearer, not someone who scored more non penalty goals.

But when we are comparing 2 players on their goal scoring ability, it makes sense (at least from my point of view) to exclude them as the same player might not be first choice elsewhere and if only 1 player gets the chance to take penalties then it will boost up his numbers.

Does anyone ideally think we're going to sell Lukaku and buy a replacement all in four weeks?

I don't.

At least going by Spanish media (local Sevilla paper) we have everything agreed with Ben Yedder.

Does anyone really think we're going to sell Lukaku and buy a replacement all in four weeks?

I don't.

Selling Lukaku. Maybe. But itd be one hell of a risk to go with rashford and martial as the only strikers.
4 weeks should be more than enough but it depends on how much we want to sell Lukaku.

This. You expect your striker to be a good penalty taker as it's strongly connected to finishing and composure. Don't like all these 'penalties are a lottery' claims.

I rarely ignore penalties because like you said it's a skill in itself. But when we judge two players and how they affect a team's overall level, I believe that it's fair to put an asterisk next to players with lots of penalties that they didn't create. For example this season I give less credit to Pogba than I will to Pépé. But that's in the context of a specific conversation not in general.

I don't.

It seems Ben Yedder has a release clause and we have an agreement with him ready, we just have to press the button.

It seems both he and Fernandes are relying on Lukaku/Pogba being sold.

Not only this, there is this myth about Icardi too when his goal scoring record (excluding penalties) is as good or worse than Lukaku.

If/when Lukaku goes, Icardi is probably the last striker I want to replace him. They’re the same sort of player, the type we should be moving away from. For the life of me I can’t see how you can advocate selling Lukaku, but replacing him with Icardi.

I rarely ignore penalties because like you said it's a skill in itself. But when we judge two players and how they affect a team's overall level, I believe that it's fair to put an asterisk next to players with lots of penalties that they didn't create. For example this season I give less credit to Pogba than I will to Pépé. But that's in the context of a specific conversation not in general.
That's a more complex take, though. I was merely talking about goal-scoring records of strikers. It makes even more sense in case of players like Lukaku who haven't really taken an awful lot of them.

If/when Lukaku goes, Icardi is probably the last striker I want to replace him. They’re the same sort of player, the type we should be moving away from. For the life of me I can’t see how you can advocate selling Lukaku, but replacing him with Icardi.

Yeah, anyways for me Lukaku > Icardi.

Replace his goals? Pogba outscored him this season and Rashford scored only 2 less.

He's had a shit season and is constantly flirting with other clubs/leagues.

Get his fat arse out of here. Him leaving would not hurt us in any way.
That was a poor season for him alright. People are just understandably worried that we have to somehow replace his normal 20 odd goals season and to do that we must buy. Unless we believe Rashford will go up a notch and start scoring big. We are devoid of goals inside this team as it stands.

It seems Ben Yedder has a release clause and we have an agreement with him ready, we just have to press the button.

It seems both he and Fernandes are relying on Lukaku/Pogba being sold.
Replacing Lukaku & Pogba with Yedder & Bruno alone won't be be enough. That's potentially 220 mill pounds plus in sales and we are just going to buy Yedder for 35 mill and Bruno for what, max 50 mill? That leaves nearly 140 million pounds. Hopefully we invest that into the squad, not by buying overpriced average players like Maguire for 90 mill but intelligent signings.
Even with AWB, James, Yedder & Bruno, we would still need a top class CB,RW and CM x 2. If we address those areas with the funds we have, then fine but if not, we will be in trouble the coming season

If you exclude Shearer's penalties, his record in the league averages 15 goals. Not saying Lukaku's even close to the monster Shearer was but I just don't understand what's the reason behind such measures.

Presumably that includes his seasons as a teenager, the two years he has cruciate ligament injuries where he would have been out for 6-9 months and when he was post 30’s after having many operations, and clearly way past his best - that’s going to skew an avarage. Shearer was a player who regularly scored 20+ league goals throughout his career. Just checked, in fact it was 7 times. And he scored 30+ league goals three times on a row at Blackburn.

So in summary just averaging Shearer’s tallies over 19 seasons with or without pens is ridiculous without the context.

That was a poor season for him alright. People are just understandably worried that we have to somehow replace his normal 20 odd goals season and to do that we must buy. Unless we believe Rashford will go up a notch and start scoring big. We are devoid of goals inside this team as it stands.

I'm sure Rashford already is capable of +20 goals if we play him as a 9 constantly and improve the overall service from wingers or deep (mids).

I'm sure Rashford already is capable of +20 goals if we play him as a 9 constantly and improve the overall service from wingers or deep (mids).
That's the thing, isn't it. Lukaku would have scored more, too had we had better service. The question is can Rashford score big without improving the service as it's not guaranteed given our transfer activity. Basically can we replace Lukaku goals without signing a striker and with the current quality of service. Big if and I do like Rashford.

Replacing Lukaku & Pogba with Yedder & Bruno alone won't be be enough. That's potentially 220 mill pounds plus in sales and we are just going to buy Yedder for 35 mill and Bruno for what, max 50 mill? That leaves nearly 140 million pounds. Hopefully we invest that into the squad, not by buying overpriced average players like Maguire for 90 mill but intelligent signings.
Even with AWB, James, Yedder & Bruno, we would still need a top class CB,RW and CM x 2. If we address those areas with the funds we have, then fine but if not, we will be in trouble the coming season
Yeah i'd hope we invest all that into the squad too, but with the Glazers... who knows.

I do think clubs are being extra cautious due to Brexit right now.

That's the thing, isn't it. Lukaku would have scored more, too had we had better service. The question is can Rashford score big without improving the service as it's not guaranteed given our transfer activity. Basically can we replace Lukaku goals without signing a striker and with the current quality of service. Big if and I do like Rashford.

I think the natural consequence will be that players like Martial will step up to fill the void. Lukaku takes his fair share of space, with Rashford making alternative runs, it is bound to provide new opportunities for others to chip in. I think we'll have 3 or 4 players with 10 goals or more. Rashford, Pogba, Martial, maybe even Greenwood.

Hopefully, the game tomorrow can give us an indication of how we'll play.

Lukaku may not be what we want in a striker but selling him without getting a proper replacement in would be pure fecking madness.

4 weeks should be more than enough but it depends on how much we want to sell Lukaku.

We've had 2 months since the last game, and signed a championship youngster, a 50m full back, and sold no-one.
So I don't think we're gonna do loads.

Lukaku has always done better when he's a goal hanger.

With Belgium he's surrounded by quality wide men who get the ball to him in the box, WBA used to play a classic 442 swinging in crosses and Everton the same with Deulofeu and Baines feeding him.

He just doesn't suit a fluid front 3 which is what we're aiming at. His natural fitness isn't suited to doing that amount of running.

I don't.

You are correct. Time is running out. People may not rate Lukaku but not replacing him and just hoping Greenwood will become a world beater can backfire us big time. I hope Ed and Ole have some back up plan.

You are correct. Time is running out. People may not rate Lukaku but not replacing him and just hoping Greenwood will become a world beater can backfire us big time. I hope Ed and Ole have some back up plan.

Aren't we rumoured to have his replacement already lined up in Ben Yedder?

Why are we excluding penalties though? I know that’s counterintuitive given that I want Lukuku to go - but you would never look at Shearer’s record, or Henry’s record minus pens. Putting the ball in the back of the net from the spot is a skill, and it’s as worthy as a goal scored from 30 yards or from 2 inches.
You should look at their records without pens. Lots of strikers don't take pens, it's basically a free goal, it is in no way reflective of how well they played.

Aren't we rumoured to have his replacement already lined up in Ben Yedder?
And do you trust Woodward to complete a deal and get a replacement ready. We are again adopting a scattered gun approach. Let us keep on trying until something sticks is not a good plan. Also, what is the bet Ben yedder is a better striker than Lukaku when he has shown nothing to confirm that. This is another season of poor planning and unfortunately when the dust settles in it will be Ole who will take most of the blame and the likes of Woodward and Judge will continue to do what they are doing forever.

I agree we'll probably end up selling for around £65 - 70m. However £65-70m is an Arsenal, Spurs, Inter (even Everton) etc level of fee, whereas £80-100m is a Madrid, United, City, Barcelona level fee.

The former teams can be successful in setting up a defensive, counter attacking team whereby the opposition is invited to attack and you're expecting 2-3 opportunities on the counter-attack. Lukaku historically has been successful in this regressive style (although his weight issues mean his pace and stamina seems to have dwindled). The fans of the latter teams however would not accept that regressive style long term that suits Lukaku.
Yep, he's a counter-attacking player for sure. The game at Burnley last year was him at his best. He can obliterate people with his pace and power.

And do you trust Woodward to complete a deal and get a replacement ready. We are again adopting a scattered gun approach. Let us keep on trying until something sticks is not a good plan. Also, what is the bet Ben yedder is a better striker than Lukaku when he has shown nothing to confirm that. This is another season of poor planning and unfortunately when the dust settles in it will be Ole who will take most of the blame and the likes of Woodward and Judge will continue to do what they are doing forever.

No I don't, but then again we don't know if we will sell Lukaku, don't know if there's a plan for when we do, don't know if Ben Yedder will be a good replacement, etc. Lot of unknowns. I for one prefer Ben Yedder to Lukaku at this point because he'd fit our system better.

I would be happy with selling Lukaku to Inter and not get a striker in this window if we use the money towards getting a right-winger in that compliments our squad, like Sancho, Pepe or even Hudson-Odoi.

He's had about 73 mins in the first team. We cannot just hope he's going to magic into a great option

Don't think he will do but personally think next year will be his breakthrough season. Rashford will be our main number 9, I can't see Sanchez leaving and he can play there and as you say Marital can as well. I can see Greenwood playing a lot of Europa league football, cups and probably a few of the smaller sides at OT.

Personally prefer to see the money from Lukaku spent on maybe Lozano who can play RW (which we are crying out for) and he can play up front as well, rather than 29 year old Ben Yedder who will just hold back Greenwood for another year or two, who looks ready to explode on the big stage.

I'm all for Greenwood being the back-up too, how else can he get a chance?

Rom will be a big loss, especially if he’s come back fit this pre-season. Bit worried about goals next season.

I think it's the creation side of things that is the worry.

We still don't have a right sided attacker, and we have dribble boy Martial on the left. So no proper delivery either side.

Pogba will "probably" stay, but he's that unusual attacking mid who isn't a number 10 sort of role, that isn't strictly about assists.

Wan Bissaka ties up the right back position, but it's unlikely he'll suddenly become an assists merchant himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.