Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to his time in England, not just PL goals. If your answer is that Lukaku played for Everton while Drogba was playing for PL champions Chelsea managed by Jose Mourinho, I dont think I need to expand on my point.

Lukaku is fine at reading crosses, we just cross it badly. There is a difference between a lump up to him from defence and a cross. If you want him to read how wank a cross from Shaw or Young is, then ok.

Playing for champions means nothing, you have to see how they attack. Rooney scored 21 headed goals and 8th in the PL (since 2006-07), no one believes Rooney was 8th best header of the ball in PL since then. Its the point of attack. Chelsea didn't just cross the ball all the time.

Also in England, Drogba scored 34 headed goals in 351 games. Lukaku scored 29 headed goals in 315 games.

Lukaku scored 8 goals in 2 seasons at ManUtd. He scored 17 goals in 4 seasons at Everton. So much for wank crossing.

Just check how Drogba used to read the flight, hold the defenders and linked the play. That's something Lukaku lacks and he is all over the place in judging the flight. Comparing him to Drogba would make him to look like pub player, especially when it comes to hold up play.

I said who else other than Inter?

Doesn’t matter who those clubs have as a striker, can you honestly imagine PSG, Barcelona, Bayern, Madrid or Juventus buying Lukuku in any situation? He would be hounded out of the club by their fans as he’s not good enough.

Did you read the full post?

It's not that these clubs would have signed him, just that they don't have to spend big money to sign a CF

Also we have Inter who are desperate to buy him, it would be madness not to make full use of it.

Im finding it ironic, and I'm having a wry smile, at all of the Football pundits in the media that have been critisizing Lukaku for the past couple of years, calling him a "flat track bully" questioning if he is good enough for United.
Oddly, these same people are now saying that United must keep Lukaku and cannot afford to lose such a player...Flip, Flop...:rolleyes:

I was referring to his time in England, not just PL goals. Even then, Lukaku scored more. If your answer is that Lukaku played for Everton while Drogba was playing for PL champions Chelsea managed by Jose Mourinho, I dont think I need to expand on my point.

Lukaku is fine at reading crosses, we just cross it badly. There is a difference between a lump up to him from defence and a cross. If you want him to read how wank a cross from Shaw or Young is, then ok.

I think Lukaku wants to take tips from the man on how to score with his head.

Playing for champions means nothing, you have to see how they attack. Rooney scored 21 headed goals and 8th in the PL (since 2006-07), no one believes Rooney was 8th best header of the ball in PL since then. Its the point of attack. Chelsea didn't just cross the ball all the time.

Also in England, Drogba scored 34 headed goals in 351 games. Lukaku scored 29 headed goals in 315 games.

Lukaku scored 8 goals in 2 seasons at ManUtd. He scored 17 goals in 4 seasons at Everton. So much for wank crossing.

Just check how Drogba used to read the flight, hold the defenders and linked the play. That's something Lukaku lacks and he is all over the place in judging the flight. Comparing him to Drogba would make him to look like pub player, especially when it comes to hold up play.

Im not talking about hold up play though. Like I said there’s a difference. If you think our crossing isn’t wank then I dont know what else to tell you.

Im not talking about hold up play though. Like I said there’s a difference. If you think our crossing isn’t wank then I dont know what else to tell you.

You were telling how he wasn't getting proper crosses when he scored 8 headed goals for ManUtd in 2 seasons and 17 headed goals for Everton in 4 seasons. It's almost same when you take average. He also scored 4 headed goals for West Brom in 1 season.

Also I talked about his inability to judge the flight of the ball, which is important in hold up play. You judge, bring the ball down and bring others into play.

You were telling how he wasn't getting proper crosses when he scored 8 headed goals for ManUtd in 2 seasons and 17 headed goals for Everton in 4 seasons. It's almost same when you take average.

Also I talked about his inability to judge the flight of the ball, which is important in hold up play. You judge, bring the ball down and bring others into play.

No I said there is a difference to when a ball is lumped up to him and to when he is attacking crosses. Not every cross that is converted is scored with your head either. Our crossing is wank regardless. Lukaku is literally the best crosser we have. The fact that he has managed to score headers in this team is actually an achievement.

No I said there is a difference to when a ball is lumped up to him and to when he is attacking crosses. Not every cross that is converted is scored with your head either. Our crossing is wank regardless. Lukaku is literally the best crosser we have. The fact that he has managed to score headers in this team is actually an achievement.

Our crossing is poor, which isn't helped by the fact that Lukaku barely moves in the box.

Our crossing is poor, which isn't helped by the fact that Lukaku barely moves in the box.

Yet if we had people crossing the ball like Lukaku does, he’d easily score more. When people talk about his movement in the box for crosses, they must think he can make up for the garbage delivery that comes in. No striker would.

I just don't think Lukaku is a UTD player, yes he can score goals but I don't believe he's a better finisher then Van Nistelrooy, he can't trap a beach ball, and like many have said here he isn't mobile enough, hence why OGS prefers Rashford. If we get anywhere near £75m get rid, albeit that loan offer from Inter is embarrassing after the Perisic scenario.

Yet if we had people crossing the ball like Lukaku does, he’d easily score more. When people talk about his movement in the box for crosses, they must think he can make up for the garbage delivery that comes in. No striker would.

Yeah, as if Baines and Coleman crossing was shit too. For some odd reason you go on and on about his 25 league goals which was exception in his career.

His league goals excluding penalties
12, 16, 24, 17, 8, 15, 15

He averaged 15.8 goals in the 5 seasons before he joined ManUtd. He averaged 14 league goals at ManUtd. You can blame anyone and anything, fact is he is playing at his regular level which is 15 league goals per year.

I hear Ed is in discussions with Inter .

He’s a talker, is Ed

The Inter suits ears are probably bleeding as we speak.

Expect to see Lukaku back in the squad this year, and a wage hike to 400k

Yeah, as if Baines and Coleman crossing was shit too. For some odd reason you go on and on about his 25 league goals which was exception in his career.

He averaged 15.8 goals in the 5 seasons before he joined ManUtd. He averaged 14 league goals at ManUtd. You can blame anyone and anything, fact is he is playing at his regular level which is 15 league goals per year.

You could even argue that his record at United is respectable because he often played more minutes per seasons for his previous clubs. Which is why I didn't thought that he would necessarily improve his stats because when you join a better team, you are more likely to lose minutes to teammates and you are also not likely to be the focal point for your team, attacking wise.

Last edited:
You could even argue that his record at United is respectable because he often played more minutes per seasons for his previous clubs. Which is why I didn't thought that he would necessarily improve his stats because when you judge a better team, you are more likely to lose minutes to teammates and you are also not likely to be the focal point for your team, attacking wise.

Yeah, he averaged 2800 mins at Everton/WBA, 2500 mins at ManUtd. 175 mins per goal before ManUtd, 174 mins per goal at ManUtd. So his goal scoring record is exactly same as it was before ManUtd.

Also at bigger clubs, the space he gets is also less which also is the reason why we need players with quick feet and good close control.

Like I said, not all crosses are scored with the head. I go on about the 25 league goal season because it’s an impressive achievement. Beyond that he has an impeccable international record. We lack width, delivery, proper build up and transitions and wonder why a striker would struggle. Every striker would. He never gets credit beyond his goals regardless.

Like I said, not all crosses are scored with the head. I go on about the 25 league goal season because it’s an impressive achievement. Beyond that he has an impeccable international record. We lack width, delivery, proper build up and transitions and wonder why a striker would struggle. Every striker would. He never gets credit beyond his goals regardless.

His goal scoring record remained exact same. You can go on and on about his 25 league goals season, it doesn't become his regular season, just like Michu's 18 goal season and Kevin Philips' 30 goal season is not their regular season.

International football level is not as good as club level, they play championship level teams more often than not.

We lack width and we lack striker who has good first touch, good hold up play and good movement. All problems are interlinked.

His goal scoring record remained exact same. You can go on and on about his 25 league goals season, it doesn't become his regular season, just like Michu's 18 goal season and Kevin Philips' 30 goal season is not their regular season.

International football level is not as good as club level, they play championship level teams more often than not.

We lack width and we lack striker who has good first touch, good hold up play and good movement. All problems are interlinked.

He scores 25 league goals, the season later he leads the line for a team that finishes 2nd. He continues his impeccable international record at the world cup and beyond. Like I said, beyond the goals he gets no credit for anything else.

There’s a reason why he went for 80 million and there’s a reason why Conte is still begging to sign him. I dont think we will agree so I’ll leave it there.

He scores 25 league goals, the season later he leads the line for a team that finishes 2nd. He continues his impeccable international record at the world cup and beyond. Like I said, beyond the goals he gets no credit for anything else.

There’s a reason why he went for 80 million and there’s a reason why Conte is still begging to sign him. I dont think we will agree so I’ll leave it there.

He scored more than 20 league goals once in his career and you are using that as some sort of record he gets every year. Once in his career and he has played for many years, nearly 9 full seasons. He gets the credit he deserves and I agree he gets too much abuse thanks to twitter cnuts.

If you go by the transfer fee and interested parties, then we signed Martial for ridiculous fee and a manager like Van Gaal wanted him. Then Spurs wanted him for years, even last season when we wanted to sign Toby. Didn't stop you from criticizing him or telling in which areas he is lacking.

Inter, Spurs, Arsenal are not counter attacking sides. They play dominant football or try to play. Spurs dominates almost all the teams, same with Arsenal.

On the fee, yeah they have already made 62 million pound bid, we should try to get it to 70 million.

Sorry you misunderstand. I didn't mean Spurs, Arsenal & Inter are defensive teams. I meant they're the kind of teams that can afford Lukaku whose fans wouldn't revolt with the kind of regressive style of football that buying Lukaku would mean. If you ask those teams if they'd be happy with that style if it meant regular Champions League qualification they'd be happy.

If you asked fans of United, City, PSG, Barcelona & Bayern if they'd be happy with Champions League qualification playing the kind of football that Lukaku would be effective in, they would not be happy. United fans would prefer to finish 6th playing good football than 4th playing that kind of football.

And even that is an overstatement, he has been very inconsistent in that type of teams with records that range between 10 and 25 goals in the league with the 25 goal season being a big outlier. Lukaku is a lesser striker than Vardy.

Absolutely agreed. Vardy is similar to Lukaku but better in that he has a better first touch, presses far more aggressively and has the mental fortitude to operate at his best against the top teams in the league.

However even if Vardy were Lukaku's age he would not be worth the £100m that some are stating Lukaku is worth. Some players have a maximum value almost irrespective of their output. The same is true of defenders in the modern game who cannot play out from the back effectively; or full backs who struggle with the attacking side of the game. You can be a phenomenal pure centre back, but without the ability on the ball you aren't going to be worth Van Dijk money. Likewise you can be an awesome defensive full back but without the attacking facet of the game you won't ever hit the top band; since there would be no demand for your services from the 5 clubs that can afford the very top band of fee's.

Lukaku could score 25 goals a season consistently... However he would never be worth £80m+ as his technical attributes are simply not good enough for the kind of teams that could afford that kind of fee.

He scored more than 20 league goals once in his career and you are using that as some sort of record he gets every year. Once in his career and he has played for many years, nearly 9 full seasons. He gets the credit he deserves and I agree he gets too much abuse thanks to twitter cnuts.

If you go by the transfer fee and interested parties, then we signed Martial for ridiculous fee and a manager like Van Gaal wanted him. Then Spurs wanted him for years, even last season when we wanted to sign Toby. Didn't stop you from criticizing him or telling in which areas he is lacking.

It’s called progression. He is an individual that continually wants to improve, and was doing that.

It’s called progression. He is an individual that continually wants to improve, and was doing that.

That's called exception. He won't be the first or last player to do that, player will have unbelievable scoring season and they won't match those heights again.

Individual who wants to improve but has erratic first touch as always, came back like a Wrestler than a footballer after 2018 world cup.

To be fair, he is decent in that domain. The issue is that he gets bullied by almost everything that walks on a football pitch and his movements are generally poor.

The second part of your most contradict the first one?

Are you good at headers if your movement is bad and you get bullied by players way weaker than you? Isn't that part of being good at headers?

Duncan Ferguson without the shirt tells you enough about why he was such a physical menace. This is pure strength. Not a synthetic one you get after too much time in the gym build on your body mass. I recently watch the MMA fight between a former, skinny-ish hand-ball player and a strongman, who said something like 'nothing can beat pure strength. No contest, really as he was done over in the first round:lol:.

Lukaku must go back to his lean self. Then we can have a good striker in there.

Really. Well this incredibly pointless!

It isn't. You asked who else is going to make offer and I said why other clubs won't make the offer (also said we are not sure whether they would have made offer if they didn't have better strikers).

Also that no one would have thought that club like Inter would have make 62 million offer just 6 months ago so it's pointless to point out about other clubs when the player has already agreed to join Inter.

Other point being, since we have desperate club, we should make full use of it rather than selling him for the first offer.

Lukaku must go back to his lean self. Then we can have a good striker in there.

That’s the only way he would be useful to us. The Everton Lukuku would clearly have the same technical deficiencies, but at least he can play for more than 15 mins without being knackered. That version of Lukuku had hunger and desire - he was never going to be a world class striker, but a decent one. This version of Lukuku looks as if he’s about 35 years old and on his last legs, his physical condition is appalling.

That’s the only way he would be useful to us. The Everton Lukuku would clearly have the same technical deficiencies, but at least he can play for more than 15 mins without being knackered. That version of Lukuku had hunger and desire - he was never going to be a world class striker, but a decent one. This version of Lukuku looks as if he’s about 35 years old and on his last legs, his physical condition is appalling.

Yeah agree with this. There is a pic from 2016 where him and Pogba are playing basketball. His physicality has changed so much it's unreal. He has too many limitations and his goal scoring record is decent at best.

Thank you for posting this. I feel like I’m going mad sometimes when Lukaku is described as a regular 20+ league goal striker, as if his time at United has been a blip and he was something special before coming here.

Thank you for posting this. I feel like I’m going mad sometimes when Lukaku is described as a regular 20+ league goal striker, as if his time at United has been a blip and he was something special before coming here.

Not only this, there is this myth about Icardi too when his goal scoring record (excluding penalties) is as good or worse than Lukaku.

Sell or loan the big galoot. Use the loan money to fund the Maguire deal if we have to.

It's obvious his head and desire isn't at United anymore. I feel he's also now undermining Ole with the treatment from seasons end.

It isn't. You asked who else is going to make offer and I said why other clubs won't make the offer (also said we are not sure whether they would have made offer if they didn't have better strikers).

Also that no one would have thought that club like Inter would have make 62 million offer just 6 months ago so it's pointless to point out about other clubs when the player has already agreed to join Inter.

Other point being, since we have desperate club, we should make full use of it rather than selling him for the first offer.

I’d earlier made the same point to a different poster about why no one else was interested. Along the same lines of affordability, and clubs having far better options already, and quite frankly nearly all of the clubs that could afford Lukuku would not ever entertain the though of buying him (no matter who they currently have up front). Can you imagine top clubs like Barca, Madrid, Munich, Juventus or PSG paying a big fee for Lukuku - he would be hounded out by their fans within a year.

Lukuku would have known his options were incredibly limited - like you I’m astonished that Inter are making him a priority. However, I don’t think they are as desperate as you suggest, and with only one club who actually wants him and willing to pay a decent fee for him - we have to be a little pragmatic. If inter reach £70m (in whatever structure of transfer), we would be foolish to turn it down - there is no one else who would offer anything like that. To sell him for £70m would be a fantastic deal in my opinion.

I’d earlier made the same point to a different poster about why no one else was interested. Along the same lines of affordability, and clubs having far better options already, and quite frankly nearly all of the clubs that could afford Lukuku would not ever entertain the though of buying him (no matter who they currently have up front). Can you imagine top clubs like Barca, Madrid, Munich, Juventus or PSG paying a big fee for Lukuku - he would be hounded out by their fans within a year.

Lukuku would have known his options were incredibly limited - like you I’m astonished that Inter are making him a priority. However, I don’t think they are as desperate as you suggest, and with only one club who actually wants him and willing to pay a decent fee for him - we have to be a little pragmatic. If inter reach £70m (in whatever structure of transfer), we would be foolish to turn it down - there is no one else who would offer anything like that. To sell him for £70m would be a fantastic deal in my opinion.

Fair enough, I didn't see the other post.

Inter are desperate btw, they have let the whole world know that Icardi is not in their plans, Lukaku is Conte's first choice and they want to sign players who are wanted by him, at least in the first season. Yeah 70 million is a good deal for us. We should sell him for that.

If you exclude Shearer's penalties, his record in the league averages 15 goals. Not saying Lukaku's even close to the monster Shearer was but I just don't understand what's the reason behind such measures.

The second part of your most contradict the first one?

Are you good at headers if your movement is bad and you get bullied by players way weaker than you? Isn't that part of being good at headers?

No, there is a difference between having a good striking, heading technique and being good at putting yourself in those striking, heading situations.

If you exclude Shearer's penalties, his record in the league averages 15 goals. Not saying Lukaku's even close to the monster Shearer was but I just don't understand what's the reason behind such measures.

Because at ManUtd he was not on penalty duties, it was on Pogba.

Even if you include penalties, his average is 17 goals per season. Not a big difference.

Not only this, there is this myth about Icardi too when his goal scoring record (excluding penalties) is as good or worse than Lukaku.

Why are we excluding penalties though? I know that’s counterintuitive given that I want Lukuku to go - but you would never look at Shearer’s record, or Henry’s record minus pens. Putting the ball in the back of the net from the spot is a skill, and it’s as worthy as a goal scored from 30 yards or from 2 inches.

Because at ManUtd he was not on penalty duties, it was on Pogba.

Even if you include penalties, his average is 17 goals per season. Not a big difference.
In that case the difference isn't big. Shearer gets from 15 (without penos) to 20:eek:. You still have to take themright I guess.

Why are we excluding penalties though? I know that’s counterintuitive given that I want Lukuku to go - but you would never look at Shearer’s record, or Henry’s record minus pens. Putting the ball in the back of the net from the spot is a skill, and it’s as worthy as a goal scored from 30 yards or from 2 inches.

When I compare goal scoring record, I compare them excluding penalties as not every 9 is first choice penalty taker. IMO it's a fair comparison. For example, if we sign him will he take penalties or it will be Pogba? My money is on Pogba.

Not downplaying the penalties just that Icardi is only better goal scorer if he takes penalties. Without that, his record is just as good or worse than Lukaku's.

Status
Not open for further replies.