Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodward Is right to play hard ball. If Conte is as high on Lukaku as they say, then he'll demand Inter cough up the extra 13M or so. They're taking the piss.

Would be beyond stupid not to let him go. I'd even sell for £55m. He's been absolute shite for us and has openly stated he wants out. What the feck is the actual reason he is still here? They are holding out for a crazy fee despite the fact he's been awful and is not even wanted by OGS.
Madness. I stand with the club wanting to get £85-£90 million. We are not to be treated like fecking mugs by those Inter douchebags.

55m is 5m more then longstaff.
I don't care man I'd rather take that than force a guy who's been mediocre to stay when he wants out. He's gonna sulk and down tools and we already have enough of those types here.

Gonna be a strange dressing room in August.....Two high profile players who wanted to leave yet probably will be still here.....

If we keep him because we're not willing to make a loss then we deserve everything we get next season. We'll have another dog shit attack and we'll have Romelu sat on the bench because we were £10m apart with Inter, whilst we'll pay him millions for doing feck all anyway.

I sincerely hope we're not going to be that short sighted.

Simply not true. 42 goals in 96 games might not be world class but is nowhere in the ballpark of absolute shite.
He had a "Good" Season his first year and only managed to score 16 league goals. Scored 12 the recent. For someone who costed £75m I'd rate that as shite. Not to mention his all around contribution, his first touch that on many occasions make Nile Ranger look like prime Ronaldinho and his problem with not being able to be clinical when given chances handed to him on a plate. If we don't let him go this summer we are going to end up regretting it big.

Maybe we don't want to sell lukaku and we only sell him if the price is right just as inter did with Perisic

I’ve no issue with this - although I think the club want him gone. But it perplexes me this “fcuk inter” mentality as some people think they screwed us over Perisic.

Simply not true. 42 goals in 96 games might not be world class but is nowhere in the ballpark of absolute shite.

Look at the opposition he’s scored against. 1 goal against the top 6 in the PL on 23 appearances.

Of course he’s not absolute shite - but he’s not good enough for Utd.

Lukaku about to board the limbo express and take a seat next to Rojo and Darmian

If Lukaku stays he will improve his fitness, i like the lad and wish him well, even when others were not trying he at least put some effort in, I think some posters on here are too disparaging of Lukaku, should we have signed him? well for me it is a no, but he is good at what he does if played in the correct system, not necessarily our system.

If you were to play Lineker, Van Basten, Van Nistelroy, Papin, Klinsman, Yorke, Hughes, McClair etc. in their pomp in our current set up how would they fair, well okay probably better for the most part than Lukaku but would they be their stellar best? not likely but if you were to play Cole, Henry, Ronaldo and fat Ronaldo etc. they would be flying horses for courses.

Look at the opposition he’s scored against. 1 goal against the top 6 in the PL on 23 appearances.

Of course he’s not absolute shite - but he’s not good enough for Utd.

Well if the criteria is not good enough for United then we will be starting this season with a squad of about 4 players. Realistically we need serveral windows to move and upgrade the not good enough players but when you are talking about Lukaku there is no reason to take a loss. He is productive in the right system and a goal scoring machine at international level, he will still be worth the same amount next year.

Now if you are talking about Rojo or Darmian then fair enough, 5 quid and a multi pack of hula hoops would do it for me.

There s another aspect we re ignoring....the impact these negotiations will have on those of other players wanting to leave.... Ie pogba

We cannot look soft with inter, when there is Madrid around the corner..

There s another aspect we re ignoring....the impact these negotiations will have on those of other players wanting to leave.... Ie pogba

We cannot look soft with inter, when there is Madrid around the corner..
Excellent point. We are in a bad situation as a club and we need to stand our ground to show intent of still being one of the best. Selling our players cheap makes us look weak.

Getting the fee in instalments is par for the course anyway, so I see no issues with Inter looking to spread the €70m over three years. It is common practice within the game.

The only issue is the total figure in the first place. If we were rejecting €90m over 3 years I’d be confused. Nobody pays that upfront. We’ve probably just about finished paying for Pogba.

If we keep him because we're not willing to make a loss then we deserve everything we get next season. We'll have another dog shit attack and we'll have Romelu sat on the bench because we were £10m apart with Inter, whilst we'll pay him millions for doing feck all anyway.

I sincerely hope we're not going to be that short sighted.

Be prepared for him to be here because it doesn't look like inter have the money. In principle it's like they are buying him like a pcp agreement for a car. All they are doing is deferring the ballon payment for three years. We lose the player yet don't have the money to reinvest......shit deal.

Getting the fee in instalments is par for the course anyway, so I see no issues with Inter looking to spread the €70m over three years. It is common practice within the game.

The only issue is the total figure in the first place. If we were rejecting €90m over 3 years I’d be confused. Nobody pays that upfront. We’ve probably just about finished paying for Pogba.

It might be but it's still up to the club to negotiate the amounts and the length of time to pay it. Given they appear to be offering 20m euros over 2 years, then in principle they are getting him for nothing for two years. We couldn't buy the dinner lady from city for 10m this season given the market or a car parking space for 10m the following season....

To be clear, I'm not one of the posters harping about getting our fee up front. Just answering your question as to why, in general, you'd rather get your money all at once rather than in installments, taking into account the reality that inflation will depreciate the value of the money you get paid later on.

I understand the idea of inflation of course, but we're only talking over a season or 2.

We're not talking 45 years, where a huge fee now, will buy a pack of sweets in the future.

Barely any fees are paid up front anyway, if what we read is to be believed.

Be prepared for him to be here because it doesn't look like inter have the money. In principle it's like they are buying him like a pcp agreement for a car. All they are doing is deferring the ballon payment for three years. We lose the player yet don't have the money to reinvest......shit deal.

They're spending €30-40m on other players. If they sell Icardi then invest his fee as the upfront payment then we should take it. I doubt his replacement will cost big money as he'll most likely be a rotational player.

Would be beyond stupid not to let him go. I'd even sell for £55m. He's been absolute shite for us and has openly stated he wants out. What the feck is the actual reason he is still here? They are holding out for a crazy fee despite the fact he's been awful and is not even wanted by OGS.

Ah, the classic football fan idiocy of every player is either amazing, or useless.

If 27 goals in his first season qualifies as "absolute sh!Te", I fear for almost any striker we ever sign again.

Ah, the classic football fan idiocy of every player is either amazing, or useless.

If 27 goals in his first season qualifies as "absolute sh!Te", I fear for almost any striker we ever sign again.

£80m (?) Striker signing for United, I'd expect that at least every season. It's not just the goals though, he has a detrimental effect on the rest of the team due to his lack of ability to play football. He can't even play as a target man. He's basically a huge version of Chicharito. For £80m.

For the money we paid he was absolute shit. Poor control, can't dribble, horrible first touch, missing a lot of chances, link up play non-existent...
Tell me is there a player who has a 15min Benny Hill themed compilation?

Ever since he's been here he's had like 1 month of really good football while the rest was horrendous

I’ve no issue with this - although I think the club want him gone. But it perplexes me this “fcuk inter” mentality as some people think they screwed us over Perisic.

Well I happen to know Italian and I assure you Perisic was on sale. The trouble is that Inter felt that after Juventus took us to the cleaners with Pogba they deserved to do the same with Perisic. We're gaining a bit of reputation of being quite naive on the transfer market. We sell cheaply while we buy for outrageously high prices. That really need to end.

For the money we paid he was absolute shit. Poor control, can't dribble, horrible first touch, missing a lot of chances, link up play non-existent...
Tell me is there a player who has a 15min Benny Hill themed compilation?

Ever since he's been here he's had like 1 month of really good football while the rest was horrendous

Got it.
I enjoyed that 42 goal month.

They're spending €30-40m on other players. If they sell Icardi then invest his fee as the upfront payment then we should take it. I doubt his replacement will cost big money as he'll most likely be a rotational player.

Big if and also who's to say who buys Icardi isn't gonna pay that in instalments anyway? Maybe they'll give Inter 5m euros a year? Replacement, Utd are struggling signing a young lad from Newcastle who's played 9, don't hold your breath about signing any replacement. Greenwood would probably be it anyway.

I understand the idea of inflation of course, but we're only talking over a season or 2.

We're not talking 45 years, where a huge fee now, will buy a pack of sweets in the future.

Barely any fees are paid up front anyway, if what we read is to be believed.

I'm no expert so I can't speak to what inflation will look like in 2-3 seasons (the last deal I saw reported was a loan for 2 years, with a required purchase at the end?), nor can I speak to how most deals are structured these days. I know that many deals are incentive-driven, where the initial fee is lower and the full fee is only paid if certain contingencies are met, but that would obviously be a different situation from installment payments.

As I said, I'm not here to harp on the club to try to receive the full transfer amount up front on this deal. I only popped in, saw a question about why it matters, and responded to elucidate the theory that I assume posters here are leaning on when they express a desire to get the full amount this year, rather than 2-3 years down the line. Personally, if we can get a full (or close to full) return on investment from Inter, even if that loses a little value because of an installment or delayed payment plan, I'm all for it. In this instance, I don't see the market for Lukaku's services being strong enough that we can pass on a highly interested bidder who is willing to mostly meet our asking price.

The fact that Rashford is Solskjear's preferred choice over a proven goalscorer like Lukaku tells ya he doesn't fit into Solskjear's plans.

We always had quality cover/competition for every role. Rest assured that if Lukaku leaves then we need to replace him and that won't happen with us buying a player on a 9m yearly instalment.

Big if and also who's to say who buys Icardi isn't gonna pay that in instalments anyway? Maybe they'll give Inter 5m euros a year? Replacement, Utd are struggling signing a young lad from Newcastle who's played 9, don't hold your breath about signing any replacement. Greenwood would probably be it anyway.

I'm sure it gives them flexibility with FFP though, which is supposed to be a sticking point. Besides, if we don't plan to invest the money then why not take a loss, get his wages off the books and clear the path for Greenwood? Over 3 years, €70m is still a decent amount. I'm sure we could get at least €30m up front.

I don't care man I'd rather take that than force a guy who's been mediocre to stay when he wants out. He's gonna sulk and down tools and we already have enough of those types here.

First of all he hasn't been mediocre. He's not Pele but he does score goals if used correctly. Secondly I don't think we're as loaded as many think. If we were then we would have already secured 4 players by now. Rest assured that we will need the money to replace Lukaku so we can't really afford selling him on cheap. Finally the last thing we want is to give the impression that a player can force the transfer he wants on his terms just by throwing a fit. Don't forget that Lukaku isn't the only player who wants out.

I'm sure it gives them flexibility with FFP though, which is supposed to be a sticking point. Besides, if we don't plan to invest the money then why not take a loss, get his wages off the books and clear the path for Greenwood? Over 3 years, €70m is still a decent amount. I'm sure we could get at least €30m up front.

Greenwood is so green that he pisses grass. We've seen that on his debut. If he wasn't so inexperienced he would have bagged at least 2 goals. If Lukaku leaves then he will need to be replaced.

I'm no expert so I can't speak to what inflation will look like in 2-3 seasons (the last deal I saw reported was a loan for 2 years, with a required purchase at the end?), nor can I speak to how most deals are structured these days. I know that many deals are incentive-driven, where the initial fee is lower and the full fee is only paid if certain contingencies are met, but that would obviously be a different situation from installment payments.

As I said, I'm not here to harp on the club to try to receive the full transfer amount up front on this deal. I only popped in, saw a question about why it matters, and responded to elucidate the theory that I assume posters here are leaning on when they express a desire to get the full amount this year, rather than 2-3 years down the line. Personally, if we can get a full (or close to full) return on investment from Inter, even if that loses a little value because of an installment or delayed payment plan, I'm all for it. In this instance, I don't see the market for Lukaku's services being strong enough that we can pass on a highly interested bidder who is willing to mostly meet our asking price.

Either way, the latest seems to be that we're keeping him anyway.

I hear you and parking aside the fact that people think he's shit, why would we give Inter a player for no return for two years? Why are people so concerned about saving his wages? Aside from anything else shit or not, played a significant part in the later end of the Euro campaign scoring some important goals....

Greenwood is so green that he pisses grass. We've seen that on his debut. If he wasn't so inexperienced he would have bagged at least 2 goals. If Lukaku leaves then he will need to be replaced.

It does seem a bit "dreamer" ish to think that Greenwood is suddenly going to be the answer instead of a guy who has scored 20 a season for years, and is very high up in the all time Premier league scorers list

Well if the criteria is not good enough for United then we will be starting this season with a squad of about 4 players. Realistically we need serveral windows to move and upgrade the not good enough players but when you are talking about Lukaku there is no reason to take a loss. He is productive in the right system and a goal scoring machine at international level, he will still be worth the same amount next year.

Now if you are talking about Rojo or Darmian then fair enough, 5 quid and a multi pack of hula hoops would do it for me.

I agree that Rojo and Darmian are effectively worthless - and let’s add in Sanchez to that as well.

However, if Lukuku scores a grand total of 12 goals in the league, and none against the top 10 in the league - there is no way we will get the same amount next year. There’s only one buyer, if Inter gonaway tben we don’t have anyone who will buy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.