Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
A decent header? Lukaku? Did you see him play? He can't win a header if his life depended on it.

And in the attacking third, he scored 23 goals, from the 113 that he has in the premier league through headed.
Cant remember which game it was last year and a sweet ball think it was from Ashley Young come straight over for him in the middle and he missed it when it would have probably been easier to score.

A decent header? Lukaku? Did you see him play? He can't win a header if his life depended on it.

And in the attacking third, he scored 23 goals, from the 113 that he has in the premier league through headed.

To be fair, he is decent in that domain. The issue is that he gets bullied by almost everything that walks on a football pitch and his movements are generally poor.

Maybe if someone put in a decent cross he’d actually score with his head. In fact, if someone could put in a cross like he does then he’d definitely score more goals.

To be fair, he is decent in that domain. The issue is that he gets bullied by almost everything that walks on a football pitch and his movements are generally poor.

He is decent, I mean he wins shit loads of headers (652 in last 7 seasons, with 42% success rate), problem is his inability to judge the flight of the ball. He ends up in no man land way too often.

Maybe if someone put in a decent cross he’d actually score with his head. In fact, if someone could put in a cross like he does then he’d definitely score more goals.

Crossing is not binary, good or bad. You need movement in the box to attack the cross. With slow build up and 5-6 defenders in the box defending, you need pin point cross that magically lands at Lukaku for him to score. He doesn't move.

He is decent, I mean he wins shit loads of headers (652 in last 7 seasons, with 42% success rate), problem is his inability to judge the flight of the ball. He ends up in no man land way too often.

That's my point when he properly gets onto the ball his way above average striking abilities are obvious with the head or both feet, the only issue is that football requires a little bit more, like getting onto the ball in the first place. That's why Lukaku's league records aren't that impressive and why he is less than impressive against good teams, someone like Blind would handle him with ease.

Think he'll crush it in Italy. Especially under a manager that he wants to play for. As long as Conte doesn't use him as a target man, pretty sure he'll get to 20 goals in Serie A next season.

So Inter better cough up. (£85m over 3 years with 10-15m in milestones would be sweet)

That's my point when he properly gets onto the ball his way above average striking abilities are obvious with the head or both feet, the only issue is that football requires a little bit more, like getting onto the ball in the first place. That's why Lukaku's league records aren't that impressive and why he is less than impressive against good teams, someone like Blind would handle him with ease.

Yeah, his ability to judge flight is poor so he ends up in no man land and also maybe the reason why he can't attack crosses and wants perfect cross to score. His goal scoring record is decent and tbh it's not good enough for the player with limitations.

What’s this crossing and heading crap? The fecker reads the flight of a ball like a blind man. Have you not seen his continuous pathetic attempts at an aerial duel for long balls in general play?? It’s a joke he’s always jumping 3 meters away from a defender chesting it down.

Any sack of potato gifted with any bit of anticipation would score many more headers - even with the delivery we have

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a phone or maybe a cheap computer with internet access?
No, they have to go there in person for reasons. They're gonna want an answer by 2020, can only get that by going there :lol:

Couldn't find the clip was looking for but please scroll forward to about 1:54 to see the header he missed.

Inter have already made 62 million pounds bid and our asking price is 75 million pounds, so good chance we will reach some sort of agreement around 70 million mark.

What do you think is the system that suits Lukaku?

I agree we'll probably end up selling for around £65 - 70m. However £65-70m is an Arsenal, Spurs, Inter (even Everton) etc level of fee, whereas £80-100m is a Madrid, United, City, Barcelona level fee.

The former teams can be successful in setting up a defensive, counter attacking team whereby the opposition is invited to attack and you're expecting 2-3 opportunities on the counter-attack. Lukaku historically has been successful in this regressive style (although his weight issues mean his pace and stamina seems to have dwindled). The fans of the latter teams however would not accept that regressive style long term that suits Lukaku.

Think he'll crush it in Italy. Especially under a manager that he wants to play for. As long as Conte doesn't use him as a target man, pretty sure he'll get to 20 goals in Serie A next season.

So Inter better cough up. (£85m over 3 years with 10-15m in milestones would be sweet)
I'll be happy for him to get 20 goals for Conte as long as we sell him soon to get a replacement in.

If Lukaku stays I can’t see his value going up! so next summer you will have a player that’s not been an automatic starter for two campaigns.

Honest question, what’s the big deal with the reported split payments? Isn’t like every big transfer fee separated into various portions and spread out?

...I don’t get the big fuss. The overall fee, yea fine. I’m sure we can get more as it was just an initial bid to get the ball rolling after-all.

Our fans are drama queens. That’s the big deal.

Yeah, his ability to judge flight is poor so he ends up in no man land and also maybe the reason why he can't attack crosses and wants perfect cross to score. His goal scoring record is decent and tbh it's not good enough for the player with limitations.
This and his inability to protect/shield the ball properly at key times are by far his worst assets. It makes him one of the most frustrating forwards to watch, as you know he’s got goals in him.

Difference to a ball being crossed and it being lumped up to him from defence.

I agree we'll probably end up selling for around £65 - 70m. However £65-70m is an Arsenal, Spurs, Inter (even Everton) etc level of fee, whereas £80-100m is a Madrid, United, City, Barcelona level fee.

The former teams can be successful in setting up a defensive, counter attacking team whereby the opposition is invited to attack and you're expecting 2-3 opportunities on the counter-attack. Lukaku historically has been successful in this regressive style (although his weight issues mean his pace and stamina seems to have dwindled). The fans of the latter teams however would not accept that regressive style long term that suits Lukaku.

And even that is an overstatement, he has been very inconsistent in that type of teams with records that range between 10 and 25 goals in the league with the 25 goal season being a big outlier. Lukaku is a lesser striker than Vardy.

Inter, Spurs, Arsenal are not counter attacking sides. They play dominant football or try to play. Spurs dominates almost all the teams, same with Arsenal.

On the fee, yeah they have already made 62 million pound bid, we should try to get it to 70 million.

Difference to a ball being crossed and it being lumped up to him from defence.

What? He can't judge flight of the ball and it was obvious when he ended up in no mans land so often. Also he doesn't attack the crosses, he just stands and expect ball to land on his head.

What? He can't judge flight of the ball and it was obvious when he ended up in no mans land so often. Also he doesn't attack the crosses, he just stands and expect ball to land on his head.

No he doesn’t. Actually part of the reason why his crossing is good is probably down to the fact that he knows what type of delivery a striker actually wants.

He has scored more headed goals in England than Drogba did. I’m not letting people push this myth.

This and his inability to protect/shield the ball properly at key times are by far his worst assets. It makes him one of the most frustrating forwards to watch, as you know he’s got goals in him.

Yeah, his goal scoring record is decent but his limitations are sort of obvious too. Also he doesn't score shit loads of goals to excuse those limitations.

Point taken but I'm not talking about others strikers ability at scoring headers. I am particularly relating it to Lukaku.

Lukaku is as good if not better than most strikers at scoring headers. Stick any striker in our team and they will struggle, even beyond heading.

Yeah, his goal scoring record is decent but his limitations are sort of obvious too. Also he doesn't score shit loads of goals to excuse those limitations.

No striker is scoring a shit load in this team though. Even players like Aguero struggle in that Argentina side for example.

And even that is an overstatement, he has been very inconsistent in that type of teams with records that range between 10 and 25 goals in the league with the 25 goal season being a big outlier. Lukaku is a lesser striker than Vardy.

Tbf to Lukaku, he played well under Martinez and Koeman. So it's not like he is suited to only regressive style.

Tbf to Lukaku, he played well under Martinez and Koeman. So it's not like he is suited to only regressive style.

We agree, I don't think that it's a matter of style. It's an individual problem, Lukaku is an inconsistent player that will have relatively long periods where he is hot or cold, his qualities are obvious in terms of finishing/striking and his weaknesses are also obvious in terms of movement, technique and reading of the game. Personally, I think that he is the type of player that Belotti is and have roughly the same level.

Last edited:
Lukaku is as good if not better than most strikers at scoring headers. Stick any striker in our team and they will struggle, even beyond heading.
I think you have a fair point there. A lot of strikers may struggle at our club but I doubt they would go 2 and a half months with out scoring, like I mentioned in a previous post.

I also think he will be fecked when VAR comes in for offside with those canoes for feet.

Juventus paid £90m for higuain a season or 2 ago, aging striker, total flop, who gives a feck, the market is much more inflated now, look we are not going to get £100m for him given the fact everyone knows he is not in our plans, thats the way it works but he is still worth way more than what is being offered, not directed at yourself, but in genaral, I don't understand the negativity about trying to get what is an adequate fee for a valuable attacking asset when so many on here are giving it shit that we don't get adequate fees for what players we are selling are acutally worth.

I think you should really set your facts straight here Juventus bought Higuain 3 years ago after he set the all time record for serie A with 36 goals for 90 M Euro that at the time were about 72M£ and Higuain especially at that time was a player a couple of categories superior to Lukaku. He did not flop at all during his 2 years at juve he was one of the key players to win two leagues (especially the second) and two cups plus to achieve the CL final in 2017 scoring 40 goals and 15 assists in 73 matches, including most key matches in the league.

Last year he was sold just because Ronaldo arrived and he clearly suffered the rejection after 2 very good season and despite that he had a decent first part of the season that went downhill when Milan got lots of injuries in midfield and had no more quality players to feed the forwards. In the end he had one bad season over the last 7 excellent one, for sure he is 31 and cannot be worth any more hundreds of millions but an in form and motivated Higuain is not even in the same category as Lukaku in terms of quality and technical skills. So much so that I hope he stays this year rather than wasting money on less talented forwards.

His first touch and finishing skills are meah. Not Welbeck's level (finishing) but it's still inferior to Andy Cole's let alone the likes of Ole or RVN

No striker is scoring a shit load in this team though. Even players like Aguero struggle in that Argentina side for example.

Playing for NT where they don't train together every day is not same as club football.

No he doesn’t. Actually part of the reason why his crossing is good is probably down to the fact that he knows what type of delivery a striker actually wants.

He has scored more headed goals in England than Drogba did. I’m not letting people push this myth.

His first touch is crap, does that mean he doesn't know what kind of passes strikers want? There is no link between his crossing ability and his ability to read crosses. Scoring more headers than Drogba doesn't mean anything, it's not like Chelsea's route of attack was to cross or their way of attack was to lump the ball forward. On the other hand, Lukaku played majority of his career with Baines and Coleman who kept on pumping balls into the box.

Also in PL site, the headed goals are counted from 2006-07, In total he has scored 22 goals compared to 23 by Lukaku.

We agree, I don't think that it's a matter of style. It's an individual problem, Lukaku is an inconsistent player that will relatively long periods where he is hot or cold, his qualities are obvious in terms of finishing/striking and his weaknesses are also obvious in terms of movement, technique and reading of the game. Personally, I think that he is the type of player that Belotti is and have roughly the same level.

Yeah I agree. Like I said, at least if player is scoring many goals then it's easy to put up with limitations. His movement is poor, his work rate is questionable too.

Playing for NT where they don't train together every day is not same as club football.

His first touch is crap, does that mean he doesn't know what kind of passes strikers want? There is no link between his crossing ability and his ability to read crosses. Scoring more headers than Drogba doesn't mean anything, it's not like Chelsea's route of attack was to cross or their way of attack was to lump the ball forward. On the other hand, Lukaku played majority of his career with Baines and Coleman who kept on pumping balls into the box.

Also in PL site, the headed goals are counted from 2006-07, In total he has scored 22 goals compared to 23 by Lukaku.

I was referring to his time in England, not just PL goals. Even then, Lukaku scored more. If your answer is that Lukaku played for Everton while Drogba was playing for PL champions Chelsea managed by Jose Mourinho, I dont think I need to expand on my point.

Lukaku is fine at reading crosses, we just cross it badly. There is a difference between a lump up to him from defence and a cross. If you want him to read how wank a cross from Shaw or Young is, then ok.

Inter. They have already made 62 million pounds bid, so it's not unrealistic to expect 70 million pounds.

Regarding other big clubs, why should it matter. He wants to join Inter as he wants to play under Conte, his agent said he wants to play in different leagues. We won't sell him to any league rival. On top of that, the other top teams have good CFs and they are not looking for CFs.

PSG have Mbappe who wants to lead the line
Madrid signed Jovic and still have Benzema
Barca have Suarez
Atletico have Morata and Costa, they spent 110 million to sign both of them
Bayern have Lewandowski
Juventus have Mandzukic, Ronaldo, Higuain and they have agreement with Icardi.

It's not that these clubs would have signed him, just that they don't have to spend big money to sign a CF. Not sure how many thought in December that Inter will be making 62 million bid and will be desperate to replace Icardi with Lukaku.

I said who else other than Inter?

Doesn’t matter who those clubs have as a striker, can you honestly imagine PSG, Barcelona, Bayern, Madrid or Juventus buying Lukuku in any situation? He would be hounded out of the club by their fans as he’s not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.