Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about it this way, they had Rodri at 88 something millions last month. They say that they take into account contracts but they apparently missed his.
I think why Spanish players is often valued higher than their release clauses (not just by CIES) is that there is precedence for players going for higher amounts than their release clauses, especially more expensive players. Clubs choose to pay more and in return gets to pay the release clause in arrears instead of upfront. It should not make that much of a difference though, admittedly.
EDIT
I should add also that another thing that can heavily affect the market value is the time left on the players contract, but in a negative way then if the contract has been run down.
But market value is not the same as the release clause just by it existing.
A player can also have a higher market value than his release clause if it is deemed low and there is presumed to be competition for his signature.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how this plays out.
With all the rumours and predictions that Pogba would be causing a stink-up,largely due to Raiola, I wouldn't put it past Lukaku being the one who truly tries to push himself out of the club by any means possible in the coming weeks.

My sources in London are telling me that Inter Milan threw a large bag of cash at him but it bounced off.

I don't believe any of these stories. The press have nothing to write about and we get more clicks than any other team.

Feck these skint Italian clubs and their "smart loan offers". They wanted £50m for Perisic who was nearly 30 a couple of years ago :lol: Why should we make it easy for these bastards now? Hope the club stands it's ground in this one and take them to the cleaners.

Totally agree, they can suck it. If they want a loan deal we should be asking more surely? in the region of £90m ?

Just because he’s big doesn’t mean he’s a physical presence. He’s crap at holding the ball up and winning headers. Very occasionally he’ll use his strength to burst down the right, cut back and whip a cross in.

This x100. How anyone can watch Lukaku play and come to the conclusion that he's a physical presence or good in the air, I'll never know. He's scored a few goals from free headers but generally speaking he doesnt have any positional sense, can't jump, has abysmal balance and no sense of where the ball is or where it's going to be. He's regularly been dominated and marked out the game by centrebacks who probably weigh up to 20kgs less than him.

Compare that to how Fellaini played for Everton against us in his final season there, where all our players looked genuinely terrified to be near him.

I don’t understand why clubs do the loan with obligation to buy. If they cannot be recalled, why not just do a straight transfer with instalments?

I'm glad that there are offers for him and we could even get close to the amount we paid. That's a win.

what!! you're not being serious I hope, I think United will do well to get anything over £50m for him
They will because they'll accept selling below the current rates, as per usual. There's no way we would buy a player of his pedigree, age and stature for £50m. Do you see us getting my compatriot Piątek for £50m? And he's done far less in his career than Lukaku.

If they want him on loan with an obligation to buy in 2 years then they pay the price to do them a favour, £75-£80 million spread over 3 years is more than fair in the current market unless it’s only us that has to overpay.

90% of our fans don't seem to comprehend it.
Yeah but it doesn't make sense to get 3 installments of 30m say, rather than getting it in one go? We are losing out on interest, and with the inflation and the fact that player transfer fees are skyrocketing it could turn out to be way too cheap in 2 years.

Yeah but it doesn't make sense to get 3 installments of 30m say, rather than getting it in one go? We are losing out on interest, and with the inflation and the fact that player transfer fees are skyrocketing it could turn out to be way too cheap in 2 years.
In a perfect world - yes, it does make sense to get all money straight. On the other hand it's not that different of a typical transfer which is made in instalments like many transfers are. We need to know the market, when it's better to act "tough" and when it's better to find an agreement that suits all parties. I think Lukaku is in the latter category. He is clearly not in Ole's plans and there doesn't seem to by much interest in him. I think Inter's offer is very respectable for the first offer. Unless we desperately need cash right now which I don't think we do, it doesn't matter if it's paid right now or during 2 years. Reach agreement on something like 20 + 30 + 35 and I think it's a good deal for us, considering we clearly overpaid for him in the first place.

If it's an FFP issue and they're so determined to get Lukaku then why can't they find more funds from what is, I presume, a talented squad that they have. Or just sell some duff/past it player to Arsenal or something.

No problem with installments but the alleged amount up front of 10m is ridiculous plus with the inflation in the transfer market the installments will lose a lot of value when you receive them. feck this shower after the way they went on with perisic. If we have lined up a replacement more suitable to the way we want to play get enough up front to cover that fee and accept some installments at a minimum, otherwise feck off. They are allegedly desperate to sign but him as a priority but don't have the funds yet they are actively doing other business.

No problem with installments but the alleged amount up front of 10m is ridiculous plus with the inflation in the transfer market the installments will lose a lot of value when you receive them. feck this shower after the way they went on with perisic. If we have lined up a replacement more suitable to the way we want to play get enough up front to cover that fee and accept some installments at a minimum, otherwise feck off. They are allegedly desperate to sign but him as a priority but don't have the funds yet they are actively doing other business.

Exactly.. the money up front has to match Ben Yedda’s release clause. I don’t see why we should lose out.

I generally agree with you - but unfortunately I can’t see anyone else coming near a decent offer for Lukuku. There are very few teams who could spend £70-80 on one player, and when that player is Lukuku... there aren’t going to be many suitors. Let’s be honest, Inter have no competition when it comes to buying him.

Just seen in Maguire's thread that Leicester apparently wants £90m and our £70m was swiftly rejected. For a CB. And people say I'm crazy we should look for that number for a striker of bigger reputation. Logic.

Just seen in Maguire's thread that Leicester apparently wants £90m and our £70m was swiftly rejected. For a CB. And people say I'm crazy we should look for that number for a striker of bigger reputation. Logic.

Who else would even entertain buying Lukuku for £70m+? I can’t think of a single club*.

* noting @BrianMcClair'sBarnet point that Chelsea might have been a rival of it wasn’t for the ban.

Exactly, we paid £75m for Lukaku, in this market he is worth £100m, still young and Belgium's top scorer, we won't get bullied, up to his camp to put pressure on inter to come up with a reasonable offer.

Exactly, we paid £75m for Lukaku, in this market he is worth £100m, still young and Belgium's top scorer, we won't get bullied, up to his camp to put pressure on inter to come up with a reasonable offer.

A man who couldn’t even score against anyone in the top 10 the PL last season is not worth anywhere near £100m.

Which big club would pay 100 mil for a player who can't control a ball?

Partly because Lukaku clearly wants to go and Maguire hasn’t said that he does.

The issue is Leicester want to keep Maguire, we are neutral in terms of Lukaku. We dont want to keep him at all costs, because he wont be an automatic starter next season when everyone is fit. I wouldnt mind him here, i am sure he will score loads in Italy, but you have to love what he brings to the table and he isnt for everyone. I would rather sell him than keep him here and see his value and moral plummet the longer the season goes on.

He's definitely not worth 100m in the market at all especially after last season.

Utd and City are interested - no top club in Europe would entertain buying Lukuku (and I don’t believe Inter are a top club).
City are so interested that they ran away the moment they learned about the potential price. We're the only one really interested it seems and the fact we want him badly inflates the price. Same should apply in Inter-Lukaku's case. They're willing to pay £70m. Let's see if they can go up a notch. We seem to be excited everytime somebody wants one of our players and just accept anything. I said around £90m If they give £70m then surely we can meet at least halw way.

Status
Not open for further replies.