Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sad and actually close to tears. Along with Giggs, he's my favourite player in the current United team. He has a spectular style and is immensely talented, a real pleasure to watch.

Yes, he has not always been consistent, but Fergie never got him and never understood how to bring the best out of Nani.

It's just not fair that almost all of my favourite United players have left: Keano, Becks, Ruud, Ronaldo - and now Nani. :(

Well this post was a bit strange.

As for Nani, if he does go it clearly is nothing to do with his ability. Least not for me.

for a few weeks leading up to being assaulted by Carragher, he was bordering on the unplayable. Hasn't been the same since. Not saying that is the reason but it stopped his form in it's tracks and all sorts of minor issues have hampered the flow of his game. Potentially, with the right handling, a world beater.

I'm presuming that's you're attempt at sarcasm? Are you telling me Nani was an ever present in our side last season? Because if you are then you're wrong.

He was rotated heavily and in the 2nd half of the season was quite clearly 3rd choice for a spot on the wing.

You just had to say yes.

Honestly think Ferguson's frustrated with Nani. Anyone remember the interview about Nani where SAF talked about Nani's shyness and how it hindered him from showing his ability? It shed light on how Nani needs to be treated to get the best out of him. The way SAF described it, it's no easy process. If these current issues are down to contract talks, then unfortunately, I don't believe we will see the best from Nani. He's a player who requires everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) to be sorted to produce his best form.

Not sure why we've devoted 4-5 pages due to a couple tweets but I guess if the rumors are true, there is some reason to be alarmed. Personally, I try not to get too attached to players nowadays. No longer cut from a similar cloth so I know I will be disappointed more often than not.

I remember the times that Fergie decided to drop him for Ji Sung Park against Barcelona. Absolutely baffling decision and im sure it must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Nani because he was our best player around this time.

That wasn't as mad as it seemed, to be fair. We had a tried and tested system that year that had us playing good football, defending well and winning matches against top teams. Bringing Nani into that team amidst that could've been perceived as being disruptive to the whole system. In retrospect it is easy to say that we could've done with players that were better in possession, but by the same token it may have made no difference whatsoever. People would then be saying about how we broke up a balanced system that was defensively solid and one that could've better harried Barcelona's players whilst in possession.

That's how the Cafe worksall it takes is a one liner Twatter bollocks

This is hardly just 1 line Colin. There've been rumours for well over 12 months and strong rumours all Summer. So much so that Zenit said a move broke down over his wage demands. Not the fact we weren't willing to sell...

Like I said in the Summer. It's quite clear that Fergie doesn't rate Nani anywhere nearly as highly as some on here rate him. I guess only time will tell how right he was. I personally think he'll be someone we all regret letting go if that does indeed happen.

Well this post was a bit strange.

As for Nani, if he does go it clearly is nothing to do with his ability. Least not for me.

He's simply my favourite player in our current squad and it just annoys/saddens me that Fergie never got him. On his day, he's a genius. But he never gained confidence with us because Fergie never trusted him. When Rooney had his dips in form, he almost always got Fergie's support. Poor Nani got never anything like that, often he was dropped for no reason at all.

I'm always heart-broken when brilliant players I like leave United, and Nani tickles both boxes. I think he's brilliant and I like him.

But I hope all the Nani haters who used to put him down for no real reason at all are happy.

So Fergie used to drop him for "no reason at all." and there's such a thing as "Nani haters" also for "no reason at all."?

Does that not tell you something Lailiani?

That wasn't as mad as it seemed, to be fair. We had a tried and tested system that year that had us playing good football, defending well and winning matches against top teams. Bringing Nani into that team amidst that could've been perceived as being disruptive to the whole system. In retrospect it is easy to say that we could've done with players that were better in possession, but by the same token it may have made no difference whatsoever. People would then be saying about how we broke up a balanced system that was defensively solid and one that could've better harried Barcelona's players whilst in possession.

Look at Park now though. He was this bad back then too, no way should he have been on that pitch that night. All these qualities that people thought he'd bring were nowhere to be seen, just as many of us thought would be the case. Completely pointless playing him.

IIRC, Ferguson picked Park partly due to sentiment. Something about it was harsh on Ji to leave him out of a final

So Fergie used to drop him for "no reason at all." and there's such a thing as "Nani haters" also for "no reason at all."?

Does that not tell you something Lailiani?

What should it tell me? I remember Ronaldo being criticized on here for being too flashy, too selfish, etc.

And Fergie has his pet players like Rooney who got millions of chances even during times when they were inconsistent and not in a great form. I also agree with Plato. It's not like Fergie's decisions are always only based on football reasons.

Let's not descend into Team Edward and Team Jacob garbage here. Fergie will go for what is best for the club short and long term.

Fergie has to take the blame for this? The diamond formation has been succesful and if that means that Nani doesn't fit then tough shit.

If you took the time to read properly it's clear I meant Ferguson has to take some of the blame for him not fulfilling his enormous potential.

The diamond wasn't quite working for 45 minutes against Braga last Tuesday was it? I will reserve judgement on it's success for the time being.

Look at Park now though. He was this bad back then too, no way should he have been on that pitch that night. All these qualities that people thought he'd bring were nowhere to be seen, just as many of us thought would be the case. Completely pointless playing him.

Agreed. It was a joke quite frankly, but then so much was about the selection policy and tactical setup that night. If the idea was for Park to tuck in and get in Barca's face it failed miserably, they just ran rings round him. Ferguson should have put his best players on the pitch and try and cause them problems. As it happens he just played into their hands. Wasted opportunity.

Young - 26 goals, 33 assists
Valencia - 16 goals, 31 assists
Nani - 28 goals, 37 assists

Since 2009/10

Says it all.

Nobody wants those dreaded misplaced passes - but everybody in our team is guilty of them, not just one player.

If you took the time to read properly it's clear I meant Ferguson has to take some of the blame for him not fulfilling his enormous potential.

The diamond wasn't quite working for 45 minutes against Braga last Tuesday was it? I will reserve judgement on it's success for the time being.

Bollocks again, you seem to have created a reputation for yourself.

Funny that people remember Fergie dropping him for CL final but don't remember Valencia for that Arsenal match when Valencia was in good form and Nani just had a good match against fecking Hull.

He made 40 appearances last season, would've probably made more if it weren't for an injury but yes let's blame Ferguson for this.

He's simply my favourite player in our current squad and it just annoys/saddens me that Fergie never got him. On his day, he's a genius. But he never gained confidence with us because Fergie never trusted him. When Rooney had his dips in form, he almost always got Fergie's support. Poor Nani got never anything like that, often he was dropped for no reason at all.

I'm always heart-broken when brilliant players I like leave United, and Nani tickles both boxes. I think he's brilliant and I like him.

But I hope all the Nani haters who used to put him down for no real reason at all are happy.

For no reason? Nani had an horrendous time in his first couple of seasons. I thought Fergie had run out of patience with him. It was an incredible turn around in form for nani and display of trust from Fergie that he had his terrific 18 months.

Then last season his form dropped again, at the worst time. As a new contract needed to be sorted.

I guess he has asked for an amount Utd are not willing to match. And this is where we are now.

I said in this thread in the summer if he was messing about with contracts we needed to sell right away, as we will only get half the amount he is worth next year.

Agreed. It was a joke quite frankly, but then so much was about the selection policy and tactical setup that night. If the idea was for Park to tuck in and get in Barca's face it failed miserably, they just ran rings round him. Ferguson should have put his best players on the pitch and try and cause them problems. As it happens he just played into their hands. Wasted opportunity.

So park never did an incredible job for us in big games? Has everyone forgotten this...

Yeah, he's definitely not in control of his own fate. A bit like the Son of God...

Bollocks again, you seem to have created a reputation for yourself.

Funny that people remember Fergie dropping him for CL final but don't remember Valencia for that Arsenal match when Valencia was in good form and Nani just had a good match against fecking Hull.

He made 40 appearances last season, would've probably made more if it weren't for an injury but yes let's blame Ferguson for this.

Oh my god, do you just spew this bollocks out of your arse or something?

Young starting ahead of him is pretty much a confirmation of him being a goner.

Says it all.

Nobody wants those dreaded misplaced passes - but everybody in our team is guilty of them, not just one player.

This!

No player in our team gives away the ball more often than Rooney, imo (I have no statistics to back this up), be it by misplaced, easy, passes or poor technique. Nani gives the ball away, but like Giggs it's because he tries the difficult pass - Rooney gives it away because he either uses too much or too little power in his passes.

I also agree with the poster above who argued that Nani has not been given the same amount of trust by Fergie as Rooney has, but many would argue that Nani is just as talented. Imo, Rooney has been given too much and Nani too little game time when both have had dips in form.

If Rooney can come back from questioning the club, Nani can come back from this.

The club was desperate for keeping Rooney, so he got what he wanted.

I think it's the other way around with Nani, which is probably why he wants to leave.

If Rooney can come back from questioning the club, Nani can come back from this.

He isnt close to being as important though. Only Rooney could have come back from that point back then. Maybe Vidic.

The club was desperate for keeping Rooney, so he got what he wanted.

I think it's the other way around with Nani, which is probably why he wants to leave.

If he's as good a player as you lot keep telling us a couple of months of decent performances would surely change Fergie's mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.