Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie has to take the blame for this? The diamond formation has been succesful and if that means that Nani doesn't fit then tough shit.

Early days to call it a success. Haven't exactly been dominating many matches this season.

That's because he never got a real chance.

I agree:

I'll be disappointed when he leaves but it's always been quite clear Fergie doesn't completely trust him. I think I only remember 1 season where he was a consistant in our side. Every other season he gets dropped as soon as he has a poor game.

In the 2nd half of last season Fergie prefered Young for crying out loud. Young's a decent player but not even close to Nani's class.

Were you in a coma for the past two years?

I'm presuming that's you're attempt at sarcasm? Are you telling me Nani was an ever present in our side last season? Because if you are then you're wrong.

He was rotated heavily and in the 2nd half of the season was quite clearly 3rd choice for a spot on the wing.

How's this diamond thing? I haven't seen much of United lately. It was said here that Kagawa didn't fit well there, but wouldn't the most advanced position of the midfield in such formation be ideal for him?

Nani, it was never to be I guess. Oh well, if he goes then good riddance. He tried very hard but at the end that isn't what counts. Thanks for the stunning memories, thanks for carrying us for periods of time, thanks for everything.

I'm so sad and actually close to tears. Along with Giggs, he's my favourite player in the current United team. He has a spectular style and is immensely talented, a real pleasure to watch.

Yes, he has not always been consistent, but Fergie never got him and never understood how to bring the best out of Nani.

It's just not fair that almost all of my favourite United players have left: Keano, Becks, Ruud, Ronaldo - and now Nani. :(

I know you're a girl and you might be more emotional than an average guy but you cannot be serious with that :lol:

How's this diamond thing? I haven't seen much of United lately. It was said here that Kagawa didn't fit well there, but wouldn't the most advanced position of the midfield in such formation be ideal for him?

It happens to also be Rooney's best position (the one who runs things) and he is in such a great form recently that it makes it almost impossible not to play him in that position.

Yup, it's Fergie's fault that he has being sold. Nothing to do with the player or perhaps he's being greedy.

Yup, it's Fergie's fault that he has being sold. Nothing to do with the player or perhaps he's being greedy.

Nobody really knows what is going on but Fergie has made plenty of mistakes in the past with players leaving.

I'm so sad and actually close to tears. Along with Giggs, he's my favourite player in the current United team. He has a spectular style and is immensely talented, a real pleasure to watch.

Yes, he has not always been consistent, but Fergie never got him and never understood how to bring the best out of Nani.

It's just not fair that almost all of my favourite United players have left: Keano, Becks, Ruud, Ronaldo - and now Nani. :(

:lol: this is hilarious and is something like a 10 year old would write.

We need stats! For the past 3 seasons! Along with Tony and Young's

Those saying he never got enough chances? Are you forgetting how poor he was at times in his 1st couple of seasons and he got plenty of chances.

It is really only now that he is being frozen out of the side, and this is because the relationship between player and manager has broken down.

Those saying he never got enough chances? Are you forgetting how poor he was at times in his 1st couple of seasons and he got plenty of chances.

It is really only now that he is being frozen out of the side, and this is because the relationship between player and manager has broken down.

We should also remember that he was one of our top performers for a very long time and carried us at times. Backed that up with amazing stats

Young - 26 goals, 33 assists
Valencia - 16 goals, 31 assists
Nani - 28 goals, 37 assists

Since 2009/10

We should also remember that he was one of our top performers for a very long time and carried us at times. Backed that up with amazing stats

I don't remember this at all.

I remember out of nowhere his form suddenly turned very good in the 2nd half of a season. This carried on into the next season, where he was also very good. Apart from this he has generally disappointed.

He never carried us though.

Nobody really knows what is going on but Fergie has made plenty of mistakes in the past with players leaving.

Yup he has, but we don't know what has gone on. Bit early to blame Fergie for this isn't it?

I don't ever remember Nani "carrying us". When did that happen?

In the season 2 years ago, especially at the year end - he was the one scoring the important goals and assissting. Rooney was in terrible form and he seemed to be the only one to be a constant threat

Him and Berbatov certainly carried us when Rooney acted like a twat.
Anyway our attacking has been fine this season even without him.

Young - 26 goals, 33 assists
Valencia - 16 goals, 31 assists
Nani - 28 goals, 37 assists

Since 2009/10

And then factor in that Young was Villa's penalty taker as well so probably got a few goals from there, not to mention playing usually in a more attacking role, Nani's stats are great, which is why I think it's odd that some are suggesting he would be deemed a failure or anything. Even if he's not become anything like Ronaldo or anything he's still become one of the best wingers around.

Like I've said before the majority said he was average/poor last season and yet he still matched Valencia's productivity. He will come good again at some point and imagine how much he could do when in form, if when in bad form he can still match our player of the season.

A failure in relative terms. We have seen how good he can be, but nowhere near enough. Seems a wasted career with us, almost. Far too inconsistent for the most part.

In the season 2 years ago, especially at the year end - he was the one scoring the important goals and assissting. Rooney was in terrible form and he seemed to be the only one to be a constant threat

The season 2 years ago, i.e. 10/11? The season he was dropped for the Champions League final? If that's the season you're talking about, I'm not convinced.

Have I missed something? People are talking like SAF has confirmed he's selling him or something?

And then factor in that Young was Villa's penalty taker as well so probably got a few goals from there, not to mention playing usually in a more attacking role, Nani's stats are great, which is why I think it's odd that some are suggesting he would be deemed a failure or anything. Even if he's not become anything like Ronaldo or anything he's still become one of the best wingers around.

Like I've said before the majority said he was average/poor last season and yet he still matched Valencia's productivity. He will come good again at some point and imagine how much he could do when in form, if when in bad form he can still match our player of the season.

Yeah, but factor in that Young got 33 assists in that period, most of which was in a Villa team with Bent and who else? Heskey? And nobody is claiming Young to be one of the best wingers in the world.

Nani's a good player, no doubt about that, but there seems to be very little middle ground with him amongst United fans. It's like half our fanbase decided he was a waste of space early on in his time here and don't want to change their opinions, while the other half over-compensate for the first gang.

The truth lies very much in the middle. Nani off form is so bad that risking him in big games is a big call now, we're talking about such fine lines. On form he's great, but others have a higher average level of performance.

Yeah but look at those stats, that's a great record, he's going through a rough patch sure but few wingers, particularly of his style are consistent and he's not even at his peak yet. If we stuck with him I have no doubt we'd see him come good sooner rather than later, particularly if we adjust our formation to more of a 433, which for me would be the best way for us to blend in width with the central play.

I'd say it'd be more disappointing if he leaves than him as a failure, because he's produced in his position as good as anyone for the last few years and if given more time could find his form again and push on.

Everyone always seems to suggest that we should put up with Nani's inconsistency because of the moments of magic he produces, but clearly this isn't the case for the manager. Yes, Nani's game is likely to yield frustrating moments, but over the years they should be decreasing, like they did with Ronaldo, Sharpe, Giggs and this hasn't really happened with Nani to the same extent.

An in-form Nani certainly is a brilliant asset to us. It seems that he's lost confidence for whatever reason, be it a slight falling out with Fergie or maybe something 'personal'.

Repeating what a previous poster said, many are already acting like a contract with another club has been signed and he's already out the door which doesn't seem to anywhere near the case to me.

An in-form Nani certainly is a brilliant asset to us. It seems that he's lost confidence for whatever reason, be it a slight falling out with Fergie or maybe something 'personal'.

Repeating what a previous poster said, many are already acting like a contract with another club has been signed and he's already out the door which doesn't seem to anywhere near the case to me.

I hope not, such a good player when on form.

The season 2 years ago, i.e. 10/11? The season he was dropped for the Champions League final? If that's the season you're talking about, I'm not convinced.

Yeah but Fergie has a track record of taking gambles in big games. He dropped Valencia and Young last season to bring in Nani, just back from injury against City, not to mention bringing in Giggs and Park as well. He also set a new PL record for assists that season.

Yeah, but factor in that Young got 33 assists in that period, most of which was in a Villa team with Bent and who else? Heskey? And nobody is claiming Young to be one of the best wingers in the world.

Nani's a good player, no doubt about that, but there seems to be very little middle ground with him amongst United fans. It's like half our fanbase decided he was a waste of space early on in his time here and don't want to change their opinions, while the other half over-compensate for the first gang.

The truth lies very much in the middle. Nani off form is so bad that risking him in big games is a big call now, we're talking about such fine lines. On form he's great, but others have a higher average level of performance.

Well Bent gets like 20 pl goals a season or so, so it's not like you can't get goals/assists in smaller teams.

I think it's an exaggeration to so he's so bad off form. He's had a few really poor games but personally I always consider him a threat poor form or not the majority of the time. Off form i'd bank on Nani to still be able to do something dangerous than our other wingers.

Talented player no doubt.

Too inconsistent to demand a starting place every week or a massive pay packet I'm afraid, so if its about money or minutes then good luck to him where ever he ends up.

I like him as a player but I've always felt he's viewed himself as the finished product rather than any sort of work in progress. Bar that one season I really don't think he's shown enough consistency.

Will be sickening to lose him for buttons.

It's completely baffling to me as to why we would let him go. When he's on form there's not a player in our team who can match him in my opinion. I don't think he's that inconsistent either, last season he was held up by injury but he still showed games of absolute brilliance. The 18 months before that he was clearly our best player.

Lets hope we sign someone who can bring some similar qualities that Nani does. We've replaced more important players before so I don't think we'll have too much of a problem. Still it's sad to see a player we've develop leave just as he's supposed to be entering his prime.

Yeah but Fergie has a track record of taking gambles in big games. He dropped Valencia and Young last season to bring in Nani, just back from injury against City, not to mention bringing in Giggs and Park as well. He also set a new PL record for assists that season.

Well Bent gets like 20 pl goals a season or so, so it's not like you can't get goals/assists in smaller teams.

I think it's an exaggeration to so he's so bad off form. He's had a few really poor games but personally I always consider him a threat poor form or not the majority of the time. Off form i'd bank on Nani to still be able to do something dangerous than our other wingers.

Wish I had your optimism. Burned too many times with Nani, and I reckon that's similar to how SAF sees it too.

Well it was only the tail end of last season that he dropped Valencia and Young to bring in Nani who was just returning from injury. I don't doubt that Fergie is frustrated by Nani, we all are, but I also think he know's how big a player he could get him back to his best. If he gets sold I think it'll be more due to internal issues than him not rating Nani. Like I said off form he still matched Valencia's productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.