Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said it came down to United or Chelsea - it wasn't about the transfer price, and I honestly don't think we were haggling over a few quid, the player simply decided to join a different club.

What more could we have done in this instance?

Nothing because for instance if United and Chelsea proposed the same wages then Hazard would have looked at playing time and it's not something SAF can promise he'll give him in every game without rotating him much.
When he signed for Chelsea he also negotiated his playing time as well as his wages.There was no way United could have signed him

Disappointing but not surprising - who would've thought that Anderson would last longer with us than Nani? :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a replacement as such, since Sir Alex has already spoken about the problems of balancing all the attackers, and he's not using Nani as it is. Though I recognise that we went in for big money talents in the summer, I'd think it more likely to go for someone like Ince for a relatively small punt. But we already have Brady, Lingard and Cole who would be looking for a chance.

But in muppet fantasy land - what's the situation with Muniain?

Disappointing but not surprising - who would've thought that Anderson would last longer with us than Nani? :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a replacement as such, since Sir Alex has already spoken about the problems of balancing all the attackers, and he's not using Nani as it is. Though I recognise that we went in for big money talents in the summer, I'd think it more likely to go for someone like Ince for a relatively small punt. But we already have Brady, Lingard and Cole who would be looking for a chance.

But in muppet fantasy land - what's the situation with Muniain?

Get DDG on it. Let's tap the little mofo up.

Nani should be starting on the right for us most games when fit, in my opinion.

He is a class player.

I don't know about the right, but I prefer us using him and Valencia on the wings. That said, our best wing play for years was when he was on the right and Young on the left at the start of last season, we scored 21 goals in the 5 first matches with them on the wings. The thing with them is that they are very good players, great combination with team mates, great movement, speed and they can go both ways - that made us so fast and unpredictable. It was so exciting, most exciting period we have had since Ronaldo left.

Agree that he is class.

But in muppet fantasy land - what's the situation with Muniain ?

Bilbao are having a bad season so far so hopefully his price will drop massively by the end of the season

One player who we should sign to replace is Muniain for sure.

Would make DDG happy too.

Given SAFs convergence to a diamond midfield with Rooney, Cleverley and Kagawa slotting very well, along of course with Valencia and Young, losing Nani, as much as I'd hate it because he is quality, may not hinder us as much as we think.

Sure, Young is not as good as we might hope, but perhaps he remains unfulfilled potential.

If Nani left, Im sure in the medium term SAF will get in or groom a replacement, but Im non plussed if he leaves this year. On his day, he is as good as it gets, but even his most stuach upporters have to concede his inconsistency.

If he does not want to stay at Manchester united, as the reports suggests, then I bid him a cordial farewell.

In SAF I trust.

Anderson played in the hole for Porto. I think one of the issues with him, was us converting him to a deeper, more defensive role. He had much more freedom at Porto.

Anderson wasn't a consistent starter at Porto. When he first started appearing in the first XI he soon got injured and when he recovered it took a while to become first choice again, specially as the coach at the time was rather stubborn. That said you are absolutely right, he played in the hole most of the time, could also be seen on the right or left but that was the result of his freedom of movement, he never played as a winger. And yes, I agree the issue with him was that attempted conversion, he was never a centre midfielder, and it was ridiculous to see such a wonderful talent totally wasted in that fashion. I knew that would happen from the moment he left to United, I couldn't see were he would fit in your team at all. A bit of an absurd move by SAF.

----------

Regarding Rodríguez to replace Nani, I don't think he's the right player to do it. He does play on the right wing for us, but that's only in the team-sheet. He obviously doesn't like being there and spends the whole game drifting to the middle. Don't expect him to be put on the left wing and chip in crosses to the box, he's not fast enough to play as a classic winger. He can do that on occasion, but definitely not his best position. I'd say he's a bit like Kagawa in that regard.

I think he's a huge talent and it's obvious he will have a bright future ahead of him. However, I have never seen him play consistently on his (supposedly) best position, as we don't have that role in our team. Precisely because of that, I think the prices quoted for him are exaggerated. He's not a 30-million winger and whether he's a 30-million midfielder is yet to be seen. So far he's just a huge talent, but whoever buys him will have to find the best way to use him for him to be worth the price.

I think a change of system to try him out in the middle would be worth it for Porto, as he's our best player and our 4-3-3 is not as dangerous without Hulk and Falcao anyway. But I doubt our boring and rather weak manager will ever risk that change.

I get the feeling that Sir Alex flat out doesn't like Nani. I read an interview awhile back where Sir Alex talked about what character traits Sir Alex doesn't like in players and he stated the arrogant type. Not saying Nani is an arrogant person because I don't know him personally, but if you watch both of Rio's Tour Diary videos, Nani comes off as a really arrogant prick. On top of that, taking so long to sign a contract was probably the straw that broke the camels back and is the reason Nani is in the position he is in now. We've seen other examples in the past with players who weren't quick to sign deals, being relegated to the bench for sporadic appearances, no matter how talented they were. Tevez's last season with us is a very good example of this.

If the player salaries being reported are true, I sort of side with Nani on this one. Nani has been one of our better players for the last couple of seasons and it isn't right that Ashley Young earns more than him from the get go.

I get the feeling that Sir Alex flat out doesn't like Nani. I read an interview awhile back where Sir Alex talked about what character traits Sir Alex doesn't like in players and he stated the arrogant type. Not saying Nani is an arrogant person because I don't know him personally, but if you watch both of Rio's Tour Diary videos, Nani comes off as a really arrogant prick. On top of that, taking so long to sign a contract was probably the straw that broke the camels back and is the reason Nani is in the position he is in now. We've seen other examples in the past with players who weren't quick to sign deals, being relegated to the bench for sporadic appearances, no matter how talented they were. Tevez's last season with us is a very good example of this.

:lol:
In fact off the field surprisingly he has come off as the opposite.

Going on his on-field persona, he's an arse. But every time I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a lovely, self-deprecating, humble guy. I suspect the latter is much closer to the truth.

Going on his on-field persona, he's an arse. But every time I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a lovely, self-deprecating, humble guy. I suspect the latter is much closer to the truth.

Yep. I don't know how people get the impression that he's arrogant from things he's done off the pitch when he always seems to be entirely the opposite of that.

I'll be disappointed when he leaves but it's always been quite clear Fergie doesn't completely trust him. I think I only remember 1 season where he was a consistant in our side. Every other season he gets dropped as soon as he has a poor game.

In the 2nd half of last season Fergie prefered Young for crying out loud. Young's a decent player but not even close to Nani's class.

If the player salaries being reported are true, I sort of side with Nani on this one. Nani has been one of our better players for the last couple of seasons and it isn't right that Ashley Young earns more than him from the get go.

Are you sure he actually said that? It would be quite surprising as two of his best signings were Cristiano Ronaldo and a certain Eric Cantona...

Are you sure he actually said that? It would be quite surprising as two of his best signings were Cristiano Ronaldo and a certain Eric Cantona...

I think you have to consider that both are well above Nani's level.

I don't think we will struggle without him, still have Valencia and Young, Kagawa and Rooney can play out wide if needed and we seem to be experimenting with the diamond.

Contrary to most people I don't think the 'flexible' winger I.E Nani is the best option in the diamond as the whole point of playing a winger in that formation is to actually play out wide.

I wonder if we will sell him in January, it seems unlikely to me as I don't see us getting anyone then and we don't want to be down a man over the winter.

If Nani does leave in the summer then hopefully we get a player suited to the dimaond rather than another winger.

Like Berbatov I don't think you could call him a flop or failure but you certainly couldn't label him a sucess at the club.

Completely unlike Berbatov he wasnt our record signing and came to us a young player who will be able to sell and recoup the fee we paid. He became an important first team player for us for about 18 months

He's been a success without any doubt.

I haven't been across yet this season but from what I've read the atmosphere this season has been better than in previous years. So it doesn't suggest people aren't excited by this team.

From the games I've attended the general vibe I've picked up is that this team still has a lot of convincing to do.

The trust in the players, team and to an extent manager is not completely100% and probably won't be until major silverware is collected again on a consistent basis.

Selling Nani is fecking barmy as far as I'm concerned. I can't see how he would truly want to leave of his own accord, it doesn't make sense considering he was our player of the season only a year or so ago. Ferguson must have an adequate replacement lined up....not Tom Ince...an adequate replacement....someone capable of all the things we will lose with Nani. Who the feck that is I don't know but I sure as hell would not be happy with just Young and Valencia being our only wide options....not good enough.

Maybe one of the reasons relates to Ferguson dabbling in his "revolutionary diamond." Nani possibly doesn't fit into his functional plans. He is obviously cut with him maybe not fulfilling his enormous potential....but he has to take some of the blame for this. Just seems a cop out to let him go now.

Fergie has to take the blame for this? The diamond formation has been succesful and if that means that Nani doesn't fit then tough shit.

Nani has missed out when we have played 442/4411 too.

I don't wan't to play the blame game but clearly something is going on behind the scenes

Diamond formation has nothing to do with, othervise we should sell Valencia and Young too, and probably Kagawa, since they aren't usable in that formation too. It's probably down to his contract, but I still don't believe Nani wants to leave, because he never said that.

It makes no sense to let him go for around £12m. There is no way we'll get anything close to him for that money. If he goes for that kind of cut price then yes, there would have to be something else going on.

I'm so sad and actually close to tears. Along with Giggs, he's my favourite player in the current United team. He has a spectular style and is immensely talented, a real pleasure to watch.

Yes, he has not always been consistent, but Fergie never got him and never understood how to bring the best out of Nani.

It's just not fair that almost all of my favourite United players have left: Keano, Becks, Ruud, Ronaldo - and now Nani. :(

Completely unlike Berbatov he wasnt our record signing and came to us a young player who will be able to sell and recoup the fee we paid. He became an important first team player for us for about 18 months

He's been a success without any doubt.

A successful signing for this club isn't a player that leaves at 25years old without ever really establishing himself. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.