Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really get what point you're trying to pursue here?

Nani was getting in squads before the injury, I don't see that anything has changed since then other than the fact that Young and Valencia have continued to play poorly. If anything, this makes more of a case for Nani being involved when he gets back.

If you don't agree with me then fine, but we'll just go round in circles with this. I think it'll be the same for Nani as it was before the injury, he won't be first choice but he'll get opportunities, for some reason unbeknown to me, you think something has changed since his injury and that he'll now be frozen out.

Isn't there a theory doing the rounds that SAF will freeze him out if he doesn't sign his contract.

Isn't there a theory doing the rounds that SAF will freeze him out if he doesn't sign his contract.

Seems to be.

Personally I don't see it, makes no sense. Devalues the player, weakens the squad, fecks up squad harmony.

When did SAF last freeze a player out like that?

I think he'll get limited time until something develops with his contract or his form picks up making it hard to drop him. End if the day if we want to recoup any decent money for him then he needs to play somewhat otherwise we really don't have a bargaining position, likewise if we do want to keep him it doesn't make sense to completely freeze him out, like I said I'd expect him to get limited games until his future is sorted or his form picks up so much he can't be dropped.

I think he'll get limited time until something develops with his contract or his form picks up making it hard to drop him. End if the day if we want to recoup any decent money for him then he needs to play somewhat otherwise we really don't have a bargaining position, likewise if we do want to keep him it doesn't make sense to completely freeze him out, like I said I'd expect him to get limited games until his future is sorted or his form picks up so much he can't be dropped.

So like I said, the same as it was before the injury.

Yeah probs.

Reckon so too. Just think of the Tevez situation, he got game time still and actually managed to force his way into the first team by the end of the season and I'm certain the club knew he was a goner.

As I said, it makes zero sense to completely freeze him out. If you can get Nani playing at top form again it will:

a) improve his price
b) help the team

I see only negatives with freezing him out.

IMO, his chances will indeed be limited. It's entirely upto him then. If he CAN put the head down and put in a thirty minute performance that has everybody raving about him, the manager will be more than happy to meet the demands. Hopefully he can put in an eyecatcher.

Agreed that it makes no sense not to play him simply because of his contract situation. At worst the situation should be that we'd like to play him so he retains value if we want to sell him. Granted he hasnt performed well but when 3 wingers have performed badly why would 2 of them get gametime and the 3rd wont?

Agreed that it makes no sense not to play him simply because of his contract situation. At worst the situation should be that we'd like to play him so he retains value if we want to sell him. Granted he hasnt performed well but when 3 wingers have performed badly why would 2 of them get gametime and the 3rd wont?

Perfectly reasonable statement. Personally, I don't rate Young highly enough to hold down the left wing. I am a massive admirer of Nani and I feel he should be given a run in the team to justify his contract expectations. AAt the same time...has the damage been done?

Maybe I suppose if the cash is there. I've still got fingers crossed that they'll reconcile their problems though, he's not been completely frozen out like berba.

I think most of us hope Nani's situation is sorted out, but how many times have these situations been resolved by the player staying if indeed Fergie is keen to offload them?

Would you drop rooney if he was off form?
No, Rooney is world class and even when his form is poor he still contributes massively.

The truth is that people are more critical of Nani because they expect more from him then Young and Valencia. He'll only be appreciated once he's gone.

Not to sure why people expect more from Nani than Valencia. Valencia has been our most consistent winger since he came to the club, so we should expect a more consistent performance.

As for the 'once he's gone' comment. Unless he has a massive improvement in form I doubt so. How many players have been forced out and then gone on to make SAF look foolish? Not many.

If Fergie wants a player gone they'll be gone. Not in a year, but very shortly after he's decided. In which case how is Nani still here? All the talk of him being out were last summer.

Theres definitely something up but if it was as certain as "I want him gone", he wouldnt be here.

Seems to be.

Personally I don't see it, makes no sense. Devalues the player, weakens the squad, fecks up squad harmony.

When did SAF last freeze a player out like that?

Just think of the Tevez situation, he got game time still and actually managed to force his way into the first team by the end of the season and I'm certain the club knew he was a goner.

As I said, it makes zero sense to completely freeze him out. If you can get Nani playing at top form again it will:

a) improve his price
b) help the team

I see only negatives with freezing him out.

I never got round to replying to this the other day.

In short, I pretty much agree with you - with caveats.

If you look at the situation rationally, I would certainly agree with you. However, SAF does have a tendency to freeze people out at times. OK Tevez forced his way back in, as you said, but certainly there was something there, he wouldnt shut up banging on about being frozen out in the press. Yes, he "forced" his way back in as you pointed out, but that does imply some resistance on SAF's part.

Berbs is a fresher example, different situation but the same end result: when you are not in SAF's plans, you can find yourself cast out and worrying about price is not seemingly a priority. OK with Berbs it was about the football, not a contract, but I think you can eventually trace Nani's situation back to football as well. After all, SAF prefers Young, clearly, and presumably if he rated Nani as a game changer who was going to make a difference and help the team, he might be a bit more flexible in these contract negotiations, if, indeed, the picture we have been painted of what is going on is an accurate one.

So in summary, I am waiting to see what is going to happen with Nani. I agree the chances are he will play, I suspect he will be on the margins, unless he is really on fire. And if we didnt see him play for us again, it wouldnt be the most surprising thing in the world because SAF can be pretty harsh like that at times, and appear to be biting off his nose to spite his face. Whatever, it works for him and it isnt a criticism, I just wouldnt want to be in Nani's shoes at the moment.

If Fergie wants a player gone they'll be gone. Not in a year, but very shortly after he's decided. In which case how is Nani still here? All the talk of him being out were last summer.

Theres definitely something up but if it was as certain as "I want him gone", he wouldnt be here.

Maybe the fee that United wanted wasn't being met? I mean, the Berba case is a good example - didn't United want at least £5million (or £10m, can't remember) for him? I'm sure Berba said that he had chances to go but United wasn't happy with the money offered.

Nani can be a glorious player, and that's thanks to United. I'm sure United want to receive a decent/respectable sum of money for their troubles.

Why are you lot still entertaining mungy? He can barely spell.

I'd say Nani would have been gone in the summer if we had gotten Lucas/Hazard.

If Nani is sold, I am afraid it will be a monumental cock up.

Poor decisions aside, he is easily our most technically gifted player and these players are the difference makers these days.

To me it is so obvious and I really am frustrated that United fans can't see that Nani easily makes United more potent.

I think it's Nani's face, history of diving, and not passing to Berbatov that makes people not like him.

His stats and performances for 3 years proves that he's an elite player that makes us better.

Recently every new conference Fergie mentions Nani where as he hasn't really talked about Kagawa, which to me seems like he is thinking about Nani playing a part when he is available.

Recently every new conference Fergie mentions Nani where as he hasn't really talked about Kagawa, which to me seems like he is thinking about Nani playing a part when he is available.

Bigging him up ready for the transfer window...bring it on.

Hope he is back this weekend, with just Young as our winger can't be good.

Is he actually injured at the moment?

Fergie mentioned he is still injured on his last three press conferences, and I read somewhere he was limping on the ceremony when SAF statue has been unveiled.

I don't really know what is going on with him right now, but we could certainly use him at anything close to his best. I'd love for him to stay, and rate him as our best winger. That said, I'm not that worried about him leaving as he is still in the replacable bracket. The only concern is whether we would actually replace him properly or try the Jobseekers allowance route and buy some shite nobody. Replacing him with the right quality is certainly possible, but won't be cheap.

Last night's performance was good and promising in terms of the pace we played at however it is obvious we are crying out for someone to make that final pass/cross or beat their man. Hoping Nani is given a chance again, him in tandem with Kagawa, Rooney and Van Persie is something I would like to see

Right after the Wolfsburg game -3 or 4 years ago he got injured (maybe in it). I thought that game he showed some good signs where he finally got it but, then was hurt. All the way till the January window constant reports of him being sold, many happy about the possibility. He came back right after and tore teams apart. Hopefully this time he won't be out as long and comes back to remind everyone what an absolutely devastating player he can be.

We've seen with Ando, when you have players that can go past people, much like Nani can, with the likes of RVP/Rooney/Chicha - it will create a lot of opportunities for them.

Fergie mentioned he is still injured on his last three press conferences, and I read somewhere he was limping on the ceremony when SAF statue has been unveiled.

Yeah he was limping quite heavily and was also the only player who came in on his own looking pretty depressed

"Nani and Valencia are still out. Nani could be 4-5 weeks. It's a hamstring problem - you have to take your time with them."

I'm not actually sure if we'll ever see Nani playing for us again.

Played his last game for us?

I've never known a hamstring injury take so long without surgery...

Right after the Wolfsburg game -3 or 4 years ago he got injured (maybe in it). I thought that game he showed some good signs where he finally got it but, then was hurt. All the way till the January window constant reports of him being sold, many happy about the possibility. He came back right after and tore teams apart. Hopefully this time he won't be out as long and comes back to remind everyone what an absolutely devastating player he can be.

I think this is very much still on the cards. Let's face it, Fergie is always the very last person to decide to let someone go based on poor form. How often do caftards call for someone to be sold, or predict it, only for it all to blow over. And look how long SAF is willing to be patient with under-performing players - Fletcher, Anderson, Berbatov... Bebe :nervous:

10 days to 4-5 weeks. I highly doubt he's even injured. He's finished here.

Status
Not open for further replies.