Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for all the "What was fergie thinking getting rid of him, Young was gash tonight and Nani would have tore them a new one on the left with their right-back in that form" posts, they're going to be fun. Tbh, I feel for poor Ashley Young, he's going to be the new scapegoat.

Fergie says he's still out by an hamstring injury.

I can't wait for all the "What was fergie thinking getting rid of him, Young was gash tonight and Nani would have tore them a new one on the left with their right-back in that form" posts, they're going to be fun. Tbh, I feel for poor Ashley Young, he's going to be the new scapegoat.

Nani is twice the player Young is and to lose him would be a huge blow. Young has his limitations and should be a back up

Queue conspiracy theorists saying that he's not actually injured and Fergie is only saying that so that he doesn't have to play him.

Well I'd have believed them, had it not been for the fact that our injury record for the past two years has been astonishingly poor.

It's not interesting at all, it's a load of nonsense. He's posting these figures and statements around as if they're pure facts, as if he can read inside the mind of our manager, coaches and Nani himself and knows exactly what's going on. Load of shite.

He's probably has sources at the club tho. And he spoke to Nani, according to the article. So it is a step up from most of our speculation about what's going on, on here.

Are you dismissing it because it rattles off all your bugbears about Nani criticism, like his decision making and lack of progression? You yourself have admitted all the signs are SAF has issues with Nani - football issues, not just contract issues.

Well I'd have believed them, had it not been for the fact that our injury record for the past two years has been astonishingly poor.

It's quite remarkable.

"He's injured for 10 days"

10 days later

"that hamstring injury is still going, seems hammering his legs didn't work, we'll figure it out next time though."

We can secure more towards a transfer fee. Though I don't know who we can get in January, who isn't cup tied, who can be a worthy replacement.

May be we will get another midfielder and start playing 4-3-3 with one of our strikers starting on the left.

Exactly. We have pretty much no hope of finding any suitable replacement who wouldn't be cup tied and even if we did he'd probably cost more than what we would get for Nani. The same goes for a midfielder too.

Are you dismissing it because it rattles off all your bugbears about Nani criticism, like his decision making and lack of progression? You yourself have admitted all the signs are SAF has issues with Nani - football issues, not just contract issues.

No, I'm more than used to that by now, I don't really care about a Norwegian journalist's opinion, it's more so stuff like this

United have lost confidence in Nani.

Nani’s team mates don’t think he’ll stay.

The Russians wouldn’t, however, pay him the £200,000 a week his agent asked for. Nani was affronted to learn that United would sell him and went into a sulk

He would have given Nani a new contract earlier in the year, but one on his old terms of £80,000 rather than the £125,000 that he demanded during negotiations in the summer.

You really reckon a Norwegian journalist knows all this as "facht"?

Andy Mitten isn't a Norwegian journalist. He's a manchester based journalist who also writes for UWS(United We Stand) also a very popular Manchester United fanzine.

I don't really care about a Norwegian journalist's opinion.

You really reckon a Norwegian journalist knows all this as "facht"?

Firstly, what about Marjen?

On your question, who knows. Maybe. You think it's less likely because he's Norwegian? If he has sources who have briefed him it might be accurate. That's how journalism works.

Firstly, what about Marjen?

On your question, who knows. Maybe. You think it's less likely because he's Norwegian? If he has sources who have briefed him it might be accurate. That's how journalism works.

:lol: Don't be silly.

Anyway, he's not Norwegian, so that blows that our of the water.

Do you believe what he's saying there? I don't like articles that have statements like that, he hasn't explained how he knows any of this. Yeah he spoke to Nani but he's hardly getting all that out of him saying "only God knows", is he?

Oh, my bad. Thought the whole Norway site thing meant he was Norwegian.

Yup he's also an United fan through and through. Not saying that the information is correct, but he isn't lying, I think. Just relaying what he's told.

Andy Mitten isn't a Norwegian journalist. He's a manchester based journalist who also writes for UWS(United We Stand) also a very popular Manchester United fanzine.

Ahhh, United We Stand.... well, he must be right then. :lol:

If it was redissue on the other hand.... well it'd also be all speculative bollox, because these people write for fanzines and get most of their information from message boards like these. My mate Mike had an article in UWS last month.

Interesting take from Andy Mitten on Nani:

http://www.united.no/united/nyheter/nyheter/united_vil_cashe_inn_paa_nani

(Scroll down for the English version)

This makes for particularly depressing reading.

If it is made up, I don't see what possible benefit it is to do so & the club have never moved to put down the rumours although, conversely, they haven't said anything to confirm them either.

It would be a sad day indeed if he were to leave, for me, almost on a par with Ruud's departure.

Yup he's also an United fan through and through. Not saying that the information is correct, but he isn't lying, I think. Just relaying what he's told.

I guess the only way is to wait and see what happens. If everything he says there turns out to be true then I'll be happy to admit wrong.

Cina, you're just not going to believe anyone who says a bad word (or maybe the truth) about Nani.

Mitten is a good journalist who supports United, I don't understand why would he lie in his column on a Norwegian website, huh?

:lol: Don't be silly.

Anyway, he's not Norwegian, so that blows that our of the water.

Do you believe what he's saying there? I don't like articles that have statements like that, he hasn't explained how he knows any of this. Yeah he spoke to Nani but he's hardly getting all that out of him saying "only God knows", is he?

I take it on board, with a pinch of salt, like everything else. But I don't dismiss it. As I said, journalists get off the record briefings about this kind of stuff. He writes about United for a living, no? So I would guess he is quite well connected.

As you say, we'll see what happens.

Cina, you're just not going to believe anyone

Wha'? I've said loads of times that there's something going on, of course there is. Some of that could definitely be true but a lot of it is stuff people on here have already been speculating for the last month. It's more so the way he's writing it, as if it's all set and stone and there's nothing speculative about it at all.

If it is true, it's quite depressing, cause obviously I don't agree with the opinions that are being stated. But I'd rather wait and find out instead of taking a journalist's word on the matter.

Mitten is a good journalist who supports United

Is he? He writes for UWS and United Norwegian websites.

As I said, my mate Mike had an article in UWS last month and I could easily get him an article or 2 on a few Swedish websites over here, no problem at all.

Mike is not a good journalist.

With all due respect to Andy Mitten who seems like a top lad, if he was so "in the know" at United, he'd be a little higher up in the journalist World. As I said, most people writing for UWS, Redissue etc, get their information off boards like these.

Honestly, if we sell Nani (fecking stupid in any case) then decide he doesn't need replacing as we have Young, Valencia and a few others who can 'cover' on the wing, then we're fecking stupid.

We need to be buying more technically quality players like Nani, not selling him! Otherwise this shit on a stick style of football is going nowhere.

I take it on board, with a pinch of salt, like everything else. But I don't dismiss it. As I said, journalists get off the record briefings about this kind of stuff. He writes about United for a living, no? So I would guess he is quite well connected.

As you say, we'll see what happens.

I really don't think those two automatically go hand in hand.

Four Four Two, MEN, Eurosport/Yahoo, The National as well (and probably some others).

Sorry, but if you don't know Andy Mitten... however, that's not important. It's just funny that when somebody writes a bad word about Nani, he's shite and the story is bollocks.

As I said, my mate Mike had an article in UWS last month and I could easily get him an article or 2 on a few Swedish websites over here, no problem at all.

With all due respect Andy Mitten was so "in the know" at United, he'd be a little higher up in the journalist World. As I said, most people writing for UWS, Redissue etc, get their information off boards like these.

Writing an article in a magazine doesn't make you a reporter/journalist.

Also your last paragraph is bollocks.

With all due respect to Andy Mitten who seems like a top lad, if he was so "in the know" at United, he'd be a little higher up in the journalist World. As I said, most people writing for UWS, Redissue etc, get their information off boards like these.

tbf, the story did sound like a fairly typical Nani rant on here.

I really don't think those two automatically go hand in hand.

Not necessarily. But for someone quite well known, who has managed to make a name for himself writing about United, amid the trillions of us who would happily do that for a living, and do it in our free time for free, it is fair to suppose he might be doing something right. Doing something that marks him out as better than others. Otherwise it is more likely he would be just another one of the anonymous, forgettable journalists that write for umpteen fanzines and nobody actually knows about. Like Guybrush's mate, for example, who evidently gets all his stories off here.

Is it really?

You don't a journalist so "in the know" at Old Trafford would be writing for one of the top papers in the country? hmmmm....

Andy Mitten writes for National, FourFourtwo, Yahoo and MEN. Why is it necessary for him to work for one top paper when he could work for so many?

He must be doing something right I imagine.

tbf, the story did sound like a fairly typical Nani rant on here.

I'm not talking nonsense here, most people writing for Redissue and UWS use these kinds of boards for information. Andy doesn't mention one source and as you say, the article kinda reads exactly like the speculation in this thread and similar ones on RI.

KM won't have that though, cause Andy is saying something KM likes to hear.

Is it really?

You don't a journalist so "in the know" at Old Trafford would be writing for one of the top papers in the country? hmmmm....

All the sports journalists have their own sources and plenty of access themselves too. Its not like knowing someone at OT who will brief you on what is going on behind the scenes is some precious commodity that is in short supply at The Guardian or Times.

A lot of journalists and a lot of publications to go around.

It's interesting that Mitten refers to the City game in April, as on the Sunday Supplement the following week a journo, John Richardson, I think, who apparently has a good relationship with Fergie spoke about how seriously disappointed the club were with his performance in that game. He made is sound more serious than just being pissed off with one performance.

I thought - and still think - that to write a player off like that for what was, admittedly, a very poor performance, doesn't seem fair when it's quite clear we got pretty much everything wrong that day.

Andy Mitten writes for National, FourFourtwo, Yahoo and MEN. Why is it necessary for him to work for one top paper when he could work for so many?

He must be doing something right I imagine.

I'm aware of what his twitter says KM. Does he do regular articles for all of those or do some just take his own column when it's a "bit tasty" like this Nani one and recycle it?

All the sports journalists have their own sources and plenty of access themselves too. Its not like knowing someone at OT who will brief you on what is going on behind the scenes is some precious commodity that is in short supply at The Guardian or Times.

A lot of journalists and a lot of publications to go around.

Shut up mate. His mate writes for the UWS, that means all the reporters who work for RI and UWS are nothing.

Not necessarily. But for someone quite well known, who has managed to make a name for himself writing about United, amid the trillions of us who would happily do that for a living, and do it in our free time for free, it is fair to suppose he might be doing something right. Doing something that marks him out as better than others. Otherwise it is more likely he would be just another one of the anonymous, forgettable journalists that write for umpteen fanzines and nobody actually knows about. Like Guybrush's mate, for example, who evidently gets all his stories off here.

He hasn't mentioned a single source in that article, other than Nani himself, who literally said "only God knows". I can't take that seriously, not when he's parading his statements around in the article like they're completely accurate.

I thought - and still think - that to write a player off like that for what was, admittedly, a very poor performance, doesn't seem fair when it's quite clear we got pretty much everything wrong that day.

SAF got more wrong than anyone that day, so maybe he should right himself off?

It's interesting that Mitten refers to the City game in April, as on the Sunday Supplement the following week a journo, John Richardson, I think, who apparently has a good relationship with Fergie spoke about how seriously disappointed the club were with his performance in that game. He made is sound more serious than just being pissed off with one performance.

As do I. He basically dropped him for the entire season after that. it's not like the rest of the team weren't shit too.

It seems like Fergie took a leap of faith with Nani in that game, starting him ahead of Valencia and Young, so maybe that has something to do with it. He expected him to deliver when given this massive opportunity, and he didn't.

I'm aware of what his twitter says KM. Does he do regular articles for all of those or do some just take his own column when it's a "bit tasty" like this Nani one and recycle it?

Nah he just writes all the tasty stuff and that's why he's employed by so many respected sites.

He's wrote loads of articles before, just because he has wrote one against Nani doesn't mean he's wrong.

I'm not talking nonsense here, most people writing for Redissue and UWS use these kinds of boards for information. Andy doesn't mention one source and as you say, the article kinda reads exactly like the speculation in this thread and similar ones on RI.

KM won't have that though, cause Andy is saying something KM likes to hear.

I dont doubt that. But if they are any good at their job they will use these boards for story ideas or to give a sense of different opinions. If they dont follow that up by talking to their own sources, they are not going to do very well in their careers. That is lazy and their articles will be boring and uninformed.

If you are a journalist and you say x, y and z is happening at the club, based on rumour on a message board, and then it turns out you were completely wrong, how many times do you think you can get away with that before editors stop giving you commissions? When people have a reputation in that business, and write for various papers and websites (as listed above, quite reputable ones in Mitten's case) it is probably because they have a track record of writing things that are a) clear and well written and b) right more often than wrong, i.e. well connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.