Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Hard to happen but I like to believe that a U-turn can happen. One of our best attacking players when he is on form.

The problem is that very rarely seems to happen any more. He was utterly, absolutely brilliant in the first half of 2010/11 (and the second half of 2009/10... so basically in the 2010 calendar year) and people keep hoping that he'll replicate that form sooner rather than later but since that he's been mostly underwhelming, with a few good performances here and there.

The problem is that very rarely seems to happen any more. He was utterly, absolutely brilliant in the first half of 2010/11 (and the second half of 2009/10... so basically in the 2010 calendar year) and people keep hoping that he'll replicate that form sooner rather than later but since that he's been mostly underwhelming, with a few good performances here and there.

Well, he is more on form than Young. Also, this year appearnces doesn't count cause he has played very rarely to have a chance of being on form. Last year he wasn't bad too, he didn't exactly replicate the form of 2010-2011 but he was pretty good. Anyway when he is on form is better than Valencia (who has been awful this year) and miles better than Young.

He wont get much gametime unless he signs the contract am afraid.

I don't know what his gripe is unless his contract is truly shite (in megabucks footballing terms).

He hasn't been at the races for a long time now and if he isn't prepared to put pen to paper then he shouldn't be playing. He can't hold the club to ransom because he hasn't been in good form for about a year now.

Well, he is more on form than Young. Also, this year appearnces doesn't count cause he has played very rarely to have a chance of being on form. Last year he wasn't bad too, he didn't exactly replicate the form of 2010-2011 but he was pretty good. Anyway when he is on form is better than Valencia (who has been awful this year) and miles better than Young.

Christ, Nani is twice the player Young is. It is a shame that he has to go, his head is gone now, we should get rid of him in January, bring someone new in, not an Englishman, Isco.

You never know, maybe the performances of our other wingers this season might give SAF incentive to give him a new contract.

Or maybe he'll sell him and overspend on another "meh" Englishman.

You never know, maybe the performances of our other wingers this season might give SAF incentive to give him a new contract.

Or maybe he'll sell him and overspend on another "meh" Englishman.

I highly doubt his contract situation is down to whether or not SAF says "Ok, you can have X amount of money a week". I'm sure that Gill and various other staff members are involved. Would be interesting to know the full story with such a behind the scenes power struggle. Until then, we're guessing. Simply using it to have a swipe at SAF...you're better than that.

The Englishman jibe seems a bit strange. The majority of our signings are not English and the majority of our English signings are excellent.

I just don't get the joke. Is it tongue-in-cheek whinging, or are you parodying the whingers?

I don't know what his gripe is unless his contract is truly shite (in megabucks footballing terms).

He hasn't been at the races for a long time now and if he isn't prepared to put pen to paper then he shouldn't be playing. He can't hold the club to ransom because he hasn't been in good form for about a year now.

Nobody knows what the issue with the contract is. If reports are to be believed, he's on lower than Young atm and wants more while we're not ready to do that. If i was nani, i'd want more than Young too.

Nobody knows the details though. All speculation.

I don't know, it's early, I didn't think about it. I'll write down my jokes and what I think the meaning behind them is before I post them next time though.

Downing.

Indeed

The jewel amongst the rocks of the English winger scene.

One way I think is that Fergie is a bit right to not play him if he doesn't sign the contract.

SAF has always preferred long time commitment and stability.

Nani is one of my favorite players but he can feck off he doesn't want to sign.

Chamberlain?

Chamberlain is in the hype stage of his career. Some giddy observers think that he might be 'the one'. In 5 years he will be in the same situation that young Theo is in now, looking at a 5 stretch on Merseyside.

When he's due back?
Fergie said 10 days talking about his injury duration weeks ago, shouldn't be too long. Won't be too surprised if he is slotted straight into the starting XI. No way in hell, Young's getting a look in after that cowardly performance at Gala.

On PhysioRoom it says there's no return date. He should be back any time though like you say. Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow in the press conference.

I would love for Nani to get back in the side and have a good performance. Even if he is leaving, it would be nice to see a vintage Nani display before he goes. Absolute joy to watch when he's playing well.

One way I think is that Fergie is a bit right to not play him if he doesn't sign the contract.

SAF has always preferred long time commitment and stability.

Nani is one of my favorite players but he can feck off he doesn't want to sign.

It strikes me as a too emotional attitude. Nani has a contract at the moment, it's not like he's unemployed. If he doesn't want to renew, then you either give him a better contract if you want to keep him, or you try to maximize your winnings by selling him while he still has value, namely in January or the next Summer window.

In the meanwhile, if your wingers are out of form and Nani can do a better job than them it's daft not to make use of him. The only thing you accomplish is to lower his potential value and harm his career. All that to... make a point?

This opinion is based on what we know about the situation. I reckon there may be more strings attached to it that could make me change my mind. But to me, a player not wanting to sign an extension (it's his damn right if he's not happy with what he's offered) doesn't mean he's lost his use at the club. He's still got two years ahead of him employed by the club, and two transfer windows on which he could be sold by a good sum.

How you can defend SAF in this decision is also a bit of a blind following. He may even be right, with the information we don't know... But as you put it, if that's the only reason Nani is not playing, than it's an attitude that benefits no one and harms both the club and the player.

It strikes me as a too emotional attitude. Nani has a contract at the moment, it's not like he's unemployed. If he doesn't want to renew, then you either give him a better contract if you want to keep him, or you try to maximize your winnings by selling him while he still has value, namely in January or the next Summer window.

In the meanwhile, if your wingers are out of form and Nani can do a better job than them it's daft not to make use of him. The only thing you accomplish is to lower his potential value and harm his career. All that to... make a point?

This opinion is based on what we know about the situation. I reckon there may be more strings attached to it that could make me change my mind. But to me, a player not wanting to sign an extension (it's his damn right if he's not happy with what he's offered) doesn't mean he's lost his use at the club. He's still got two years ahead of him employed by the club, and two transfer windows on which he could be sold by a good sum.

How you can defend SAF in this decision is also a bit of a blind following. He may even be right, with the information we don't know... But as you put it, if that's the only reason Nani is not playing, than it's an attitude that benefits no one and harms both the club and the player.

Absolutely.

Good post. Couldn't agree more.

Agreed. We didn't drop Roy Keane when he was inside his final year and wanted us to blow our wage structure open.

Very good post, nailed it.

Aye, these situations should be dealt with pragmatism. Look what he's done with Ronaldo. Managed to squeeze one more fantastic season out of him and a record fee along with it. Granted with Nani the impact in both instances will be much smaller, but the same principle should apply.

Do people really think we've got a remotely accurate picture of what's happening from the gossip-driven snippets we've read in the papers?

Nani is one of the wingers that are out of form too though.

Nani is one of the wingers that are out of form too though.

Comparing Nani's form to Valencia's and Young's is ridiculous( :wenger:), those two are playing almost in our every game eventough their performances are bellow average(valencia is playing his worst games in last few weeks) while Nani plays one game and is dropped for next three or four, eventough his perfomances are nothing worse then theirs.

Do people really think we've got a remotely accurate picture of what's happening from the gossip-driven snippets we've read in the papers?

I have no idea, I don't even read those papers.

I also think there might be a lot more to it than what "we" know. I was just disputing the view that a player not wanting to extend a contract means he should be cast out.

I think it would be naive to think the papers have it bang on but it would be equally as naive to think there's not something going on. The papers are usually there or there abouts. Especially with something that's gone on for as long as this.

Well I hope if nani does go that we replace him with someone who can do what he can because if we want to stop these issues of being 1 dimensional in attack etc than we need players like nani who can threaten from wide as well as come inside.

Why would we sell him in January though? Half way through a crucial season?

We can secure more towards a transfer fee. Though I don't know who we can get in January, who isn't cup tied, who can be a worthy replacement.

May be we will get another midfielder and start playing 4-3-3 with one of our strikers starting on the left.

We'll miss him when he's gone.

Agree with you. He's criminally underrated on this forum when he's going through a bad spell. Yes he has consistency issues but he offers something to the team that nobody else does, and will leave a gaping hole in the squad if he is to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.