Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that just isn't true. From literally the first page and a half of the December 2017 VVD thread in the transfer forum:

At which point in the thread Liverpool sign him for a record fee, and the scoffing spirals from there for another 17 pages.
Good reminder to ignore most of the opinions we hear about players we're interested in

i know it might not bode well for the future but it's a great that a player is trying to force a move to us, someone who actually wants to be here.

Broadly I have no issue with this.

For one, I think the manager should be able to select the preferred targets as long the club's scouting department also approves of them. They might prefer someone else but as long as they're not actively against Martinez as an option that's fine. And I don't think they would be given Martinez' calibre and relatively reasonable price which is attracting rival clubs like Arsenal anyway.

And also while I very much like Torres as a CB and would have liked to see him here, he actually shares the same question mark people have over Martinez in terms of aerial ability despite being significantly taller. But more importantly from my POV, he's a more passive style of defender which I don't think complements our other CBs as much as Martinez' more aggressive approach.

And on a broader point while I generally agree with @Massive Spanner that we shouldn't just be relying on the manager, the specific context of this transfer window is slightly different as we got rid of our two chief scouts literally right before it opened as part of an apparent move to overhaul a scouting structure we don't think is up to scratch. In that context I'm not sure how much faith we should be placing in our scouting department right now as a basis for overuling the manager, at least in terms of his preference among good options.

So Erik Ten Hag prefers a pretty specific style of football - a way that often demands players schooled in this styled. It makes sense that he brings in players that already knows it to make the transition possible? When the style is established - its easier to bring other players on.

Good reminder to ignore most of the opinions we hear about players we're interested in

And that's with VVD playing for a fellow PL side, the league most people on here watch the most. Imagine them trying to rate him through the haze of barely having seen him play in a different league.

I do. Ajax should actually communicate something like this as well to protect the manager. We shouldn't make the same mistake Man Utd made when Ferguson left. SAF squeezed the team till the last stretch and needed one incredible season of RvP to get one last title. But that whole core was already squeezed to the max and not up for it anymore. SAF knew that of course and probably also knew very well he wouldn't be able to compete against an emerging City. United at that point already needed a complete rebuild. But no one made the call.

United had some kind of spastic desire to keep competing, whilst reality was that United already needed a complete rebuild at that point. But when you need a major rebuild, it's going to take time and you need to take one or two steps back. Obviously that's not a popular message, especailly not towards fans and media will jump on it as well. But if that's what it is, that's what it is. United never deliberately took two steps back to rebuild, but took half a step back and thought that would be sufficient to be competing again in a very short period of time. Result: United is still in a rebuild after a decade.

Ajax shouldn't make the same mistake. Ajax is losing half the starting eleven now, from which some were key parts of the team. Ajax has one advantage, it was also one step ahead of the domestic competition. Hence, Ajax might still compete domestically this season. Ajax should definitely still make top 2. However, if PSV keep it together than they are the favourites in my book. But especially in terms of European expectations, we really shouldn't have any next season and I would be totally ok if the club communicated that. We also need to protect the manager here. We have to be realistic.

We've already spent a ridiculous fee on Bergwijn. We shouldn't do any more of that just because we're desperate to hold on to level we've had in the past few years. It's not realistic to chase that in the coming season and we should be taking a step back now. Get some young players in for a decent amount of money, give them time to adjust and learn and then hopefully make a step forward again next year. We have to start building a new team that can challenge Europe's best teams in 2/3 years from now. By desperately trying to hold on to what we've had we're only going to overspent and be disappointed for a long time. United post SAF is the perfect example of that.
I don't agree with the whole SAF and United agenda. SAF was a complete story apart that was very different to any other manager or team out there. We werent as good as we once were, but how we won the league and even how we played Real Madrid in the CL, I am sure SAF would keep competing in the following years like he's always done.

That team was fine for him, but not fine for a succeeder and especially not for Moyes.

As for Ajax, we are likely going to replicate Martinez with Wijndal indirectly, a big transfer. We are indirectly replacing Haller with Bergwijn I presume and shifting Tadic central. Gravenberch will be replaced by Klaassen/Taylor/Kudus, which is a downgrade yes but there's still a lot possible. We still have Berghuis and Antony, with youngsters like Daramy, Unuvar, Ihatarren, Rasmussen, van Axel Dongen behind them. Mazraoui is a big loss, whether you replace him with Regeer/Rensch or a new signing. But still, I think Ajax has easily the best squad, and the most depth. Anything other than expecting the title would be too little especially with PSV having a new manager as well, losing Zahavi/Gotze and who knows what will happen to Sangare and Gakpo.

We walked the league in SAF last year and he had Ronaldo lined up for a return before his wife’s friend (?) died. I’m sure he was comfortable facing Mancini and fecking City

I do. Ajax should actually communicate something like this as well to protect the manager. We shouldn't make the same mistake Man Utd made when Ferguson left. SAF squeezed the team till the last stretch and needed one incredible season of RvP to get one last title. But that whole core was already squeezed to the max and not up for it anymore. SAF knew that of course and probably also knew very well he wouldn't be able to compete against an emerging City. United at that point already needed a complete rebuild. But no one made the call.

United had some kind of spastic desire to keep competing, whilst reality was that United already needed a complete rebuild at that point. But when you need a major rebuild, it's going to take time and you need to take one or two steps back. Obviously that's not a popular message, especailly not towards fans and media will jump on it as well. But if that's what it is, that's what it is. United never deliberately took two steps back to rebuild, but took half a step back and thought that would be sufficient to be competing again in a very short period of time. Result: United is still in a rebuild after a decade.

Ajax shouldn't make the same mistake. Ajax is losing half the starting eleven now, from which some were key parts of the team. Ajax has one advantage, it was also one step ahead of the domestic competition. Hence, Ajax might still compete domestically this season. Ajax should definitely still make top 2. However, if PSV keep it together than they are the favourites in my book. But especially in terms of European expectations, we really shouldn't have any next season and I would be totally ok if the club communicated that. We also need to protect the manager here. We have to be realistic.

We've already spent a ridiculous fee on Bergwijn. We shouldn't do any more of that just because we're desperate to hold on to level we've had in the past few years. It's not realistic to chase that in the coming season and we should be taking a step back now. Get some young players in for a decent amount of money, give them time to adjust and learn and then hopefully make a step forward again next year. We have to start building a new team that can challenge Europe's best teams in 2/3 years from now. By desperately trying to hold on to what we've had we're only going to overspent and be disappointed for a long time. United post SAF is the perfect example of that.

Couldn't have been more wrong on SAF and it's amazing how people are so ignorant about his ability or mentality.

For one, I think the manager should be able to select the preferred targets as long the club's scouting department also approves of them. They might prefer someone else but as long as they're not actively against Martinez as an option that's fine. And I don't think they would be given Martinez' calibre and relatively reasonable price which is attracting rival clubs like Arsenal anyway.

And also while I very much like Torres as a CB and would have liked to see him here, he actually shares the same question mark people have over Martinez in terms of aerial ability despite being significantly taller. But more importantly from my POV, he's a more passive style of defender which I don't think complements our other CBs as much as Martinez' more aggressive approach.

And on a broader point while I generally agree with @Massive Spanner that we shouldn't just be relying on the manager, the specific context of this transfer window is slightly different as we got rid of our two chief scouts literally right before it opened as part of an apparent move to overhaul a scouting structure we don't think is up to scratch. In that context I'm not sure how much faith we should be placing in our scouting department right now as a basis for overuling the manager, at least in terms of his preference among good options.
Good post, sums up my thoughts as well. We don't want this to be the norm, but it's not exactly an issue in this context.

The best thing about Martinez is that if we sign him and De Jong then he's our new CB. If we cant get De Jong then he's our new DM with Eriksen playing alongside him. Best of both worlds.

If ETH wants him then that is enough for me
I do have this little fear that he'd turn out to be like Rojo but he seems to be more composed/disciplined in his aggression rather than rash like Marcos. Plus technically more sound

I wonder if we'll see him in DM at some point in the season. It's not a given that he'll only play CB right? Did he play DM at all at Ajax?

If ETH wants him then that is enough for me
I do have this little fear that he'd turn out to be like Rojo but he seems to be more composed/disciplined in his aggression rather than rash like Marcos. Plus technically more sound

Rojo's biggest problems were his injury record and being a rubbish left-back, he usually performed well as a centre-back and his rashness was never punished.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...sfer-committee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure

It's somewhat understandable that they didn't go for him after his redbull days. Mane did get better at Southampton, Pool ended up hiring Klopp and maybe Mane didn't fit the team's style before but he fit right in after Klopp came in.

I also don't think they signed Mane from Southampton just because Klopp said so (overruling the transfer committee). Would love to see some sources if this was true.

Pool did buy a bunch of players from the Bundesliga but they were very cheap (Karius 5M, Klavan 4M, Matip free, Manninger free). Nothing similar to what we're doing right now with Martinez and Antony.

What truly changed their fate were the purchases of VVD, Salah and Robertson - none of whom had any ties to the German league.
When FSG hired Klopp, they hired him to lead the football department as manager and not as the head coach from what Mike Gordon has said. And it was Klopp who installed the much criticised Michael Edwards as the Sporting director.

Mane absolutely did fit into Brendan Rodgers' style of play imo. Rodgers also coached a modern play style with a view to transitioning play quickly with high intensity, which Mane was a fit for. And tbh with you, Mane fits into any approach imo. And below are direct quotes from Klopp when Mane signed for Liverpool.

"Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp revealed he had been tracking Mane "since his impressive performances in the Olympics in 2012"

"Since I came here I have spoken to the staff a lot about him and have always felt he could be a very good signing for us," the 49-year-old German added"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36642523

Below is a hit piece by Duncan Castles, where he absolutely ravages both Rodgers and Edwards and also points to how Mane was deemed not good enough by the Graham model. Quotes below.

Duncan Castles: "When Red Bull Salzburg were looking for a buyer for Sadio Mane in the summer, Liverpool were one of the clubs approached. Graham's analysis indicated the Senegal international wasn't good enough, so Mane ended up at Southampton instead (paid for with a fraction of the money Rodgers channelled to the South Coast club for Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Lambert)."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...sfer-committee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure

What truly changed their fate was what they did in subsequent seasons, but in Klopp and Edwards first full season as head coach and Sporting director, they targeted players Klopp was mostly familiar with, that were either from the Austrian/German Bundesliga or associated to one of the countries. So I can only make the comparison with Liverpool from the summer of 2016, and with us in the current window. I also think we will sign players next season (maybe even this season) who won't have any ties to ten Hag or the Dutch League. We had Darwin Nunez as a target reportedly who we missed out on, and he wasn't associated to either ten Hag or the Dutch League. But I do think it's the correct move to target players that the head coach is familiar with to build the foundation of the team. And from what I know, it's not easy for players to understand the requirements of vertical positional play and it takes time to implement. So it's wise to sign players who do understand the concept which would in theory speed up the coaching process on the training ground for players who aren't familiar with zonal and positional control.

Data is useful if applied correctly imo, which can help in the decision making process. But data can also be misinterpreted and mistakes can be made. And if it wasn't for Jurgen Klopp, I suspect the narrative around Michael Edwards and the Liverpool recruitment/data departments would be very different now. So being guided by Klopp was the true driving force for Liverpool, which made the football departments supporting him a lot more effective.

Last edited:

That and our dressing room was toxic. He’s bringing in not only good players but also players he knows that are off good character

When FSG hired Klopp, they hired him to lead the football department as manager and not as the head coach from what Mike Gordon has said. And it was Klopp who installed the much criticised Michael Edwards as the Sporting director.

Mane absolutely did fit into Brendan Rodgers' style of play imo. Rodgers also coached a modern play style with a view to transitioning play quickly with high intensity, which Mane was a fit for. And tbh with you, Mane fits into any approach imo. And below are direct quotes from Klopp when Mane signed for Liverpool.

"Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp revealed he had been tracking Mane "since his impressive performances in the Olympics in 2012"

"Since I came here I have spoken to the staff a lot about him and have always felt he could be a very good signing for us," the 49-year-old German added"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36642523

Below is a hit piece by Duncan Castles, where he absolutely ravages both Rodgers and Edwards and also points to how Mane was deemed not good enough by the Graham model. Quotes below.

Duncan Castles: "When Red Bull Salzburg were looking for a buyer for Sadio Mane in the summer, Liverpool were one of the clubs approached. Graham's analysis indicated the Senegal international wasn't good enough, so Mane ended up at Southampton instead (paid for with a fraction of the money Rodgers channelled to the South Coast club for Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Lambert)."

What truly changed their fate was what they did in subsequent seasons, but in Klopp and Edwards first full season as head coach and Sporting director, they targeted players Klopp was mostly familiar with, that were either from the Austrian/German Bundesliga or associated to one of the countries. So I can only make the comparison with Liverpool from the summer of 2016, and with us in the current window. I also think we will sign players next season (maybe even this season) who won't have any ties to ten Hag or the Dutch League. We had Darwin Nunez as a target reportedly who we missed out on, and he wasn't associated to either ten Hag or the Dutch League. But I do think it's the correct move to target players that the head coach is familiar with to build the foundation of the team. And from what I know, it's not easy for players to understand the requirements of vertical positional play and it takes time to implement. So it's wise to sign players who do understand the concept which would in theory speed up the coaching process on the training ground for players who aren't familiar with zonal and positional control.

Data is useful if applied correctly imo, which can help in the decision making process. But data can also be misinterpreted and mistakes can be made. And if it wasn't for Jurgen Klopp, I suspect the narrative around Michael Edwards and the Liverpool recruitment/data departments would be very different now. So being guided by Klopp was the true driving force for Liverpool, which made the football departments supporting him a lot more effective.
Couldn't agree with this more. I actually said when ETH joined, he had a bit of a blank canvas as a positive, but it also means he needs to be sure the players he brings in will do as he asks straight away. So it is a challenge to navigate the market in light of so many gaps in the squad and implementing a new play style.

Same with the Brobbey link, even if he isn't our long term CF , he knows what's expected of him and others will have to follow suit if they want to displace him.

Except that you're completely wrong, sure.

But it does not make much sense buying a CB now. That does not look like a priority to me. May be bargain deal yes but not for 50 million. We have holes in the midfield and in the attack and I would say RB position probably needs fix before CB.
I believe we are buying him to play as DM if needed or one of 3 CBs. Does Eth prefer 5 at the back otherwise I hope we are selling one of Lindelof/Maguire.

We could get him for that according to Romano. He doesn’t play in Holland though.
Ajax clearly don't want to sell as this bid is more than enough so we better let go of this Ajax/Dutch thing its clearly not working.

That's life I guess. I still feel we need a right back and screening midfielder more anyway (although I'm aware Martinez can play as a midfield anchor man).

It's only worth getting rinsed on price for a proven quantity in my opinion, someone who offers an almost guaranteed success.

To me there's still a huge question mark over whether he's likely to be our long term first choice centre back, I really don't think it's worth getting ripped off on a player of his profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.