Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
How quick is he? I've been reading for months on here that we need a fast centre back to play in a high line.

There's a video in this thread somewhere of him being smoked for pace by what is apparently a player not known for his pace. It was over 30-40 yards or so, so I'm hoping he's agile and quick over smaller distances. But the thought of a high line with him and our current CBs is a bit worrying. ETH obviously trusts him, but he has noted he's not the quickest player himself.

Though I love Martinez, and I am usually a fan Maguire. Different league, and different teams. All you can really say from this is that Martinez is better on the ball, and everyone knows that.
This was the point I was trying to make, he might not be better at manhandling strikers but he's definitely a better footballer. That's what our team is missing right now, good footballers.

There's a video in this thread somewhere of him being smoked for pace by what is apparently a player not known for his pace. It was over 30-40 yards or so, so I'm hoping he's agile and quick over smaller distances. But the thought of a high line with him and our current CBs is a bit worrying. ETH obviously trusts him, but he has noted he's not the quickest player himself.
From what I've seen, he's agile and has good balance... Might not be the best with long distance pace. Varane is great with that though.

Maguire has been outstanding in two international tournaments. What the feck has Martinez done in his career?

7 TITLES IN THE HONOURS OF LISANDRO MARTÍNEZ
1CONMEBOL-UEFA CUP OF CHAMPIONS WINNER
21/22
2DUTCH CHAMPION
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP RUNNER UP
1PLAYER OF THE YEAR
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP WINNER
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH SUPER CUP WINNER
2020Ajax Amsterdam

How’s Maguire’s list looking mate?

Excited.

Give me your views on Martinez please, how you think he will settle in to the PL and what to expect?
Very similar to Timber, just doesnt have that insane pace or dribbling but a better passer.

Martinez is a modern defender, his qualities arent based on height, speed and raw strength, but he's still defensively very strong.

Agile, usually quite quick, good reader of the game, agressive, tactically strong, awesome on the ball and has great mentality. It is a completely different approach to the game that we arent used to at the club. I see the club slowly transforming at different levels, and its good to see. Happy with this transfer, and he'll do well, whatever position he plays in.

21/22
2DUTCH CHAMPION
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP RUNNER UP
1PLAYER OF THE YEAR
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP WINNER
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH SUPER CUP WINNER
2020Ajax Amsterdam

Only thing Maguire won in his career is his fecking case in a Greek court.

To be fair that was in his first season I believe where he admitted himself he really struggled and hated his initial time at Ajax. So I doubt he was anywhere near his physical and mental peak at that point.

I’m sure you’ll find it less funny when Martinez is being manhandled by Premier League strikers.
Uh huh, because the premier league is home to the mythical giants of football who exclusively play for clubs outside the top 6, and teams like Ajax have never faced such towering behemoths in neither their league nor the CL, of which they consistently reach the latter stages.

It's a miracle that these unstoppable monsters of the premier league don't dominate in Europe

Very similar to Timber, just doesnt have that insane pace or dribbling but a better passer.

Martinez is a modern defender, his qualities arent based on height, speed and raw strength, but he's still defensively very strong.

Agile, usually quite quick, good reader of the game, agressive, tactically strong, awesome on the ball and has great mentality. It is a completely different approach to the game that we arent used to at the club. I see the club slowly transforming at different levels, and its good to see. Happy with this transfer, and he'll do well, whatever position he plays in.

Thank you. Who would you pair him with at United to compliment him best?

Varane I assume but Maguire or Lindelof?

21/22
2DUTCH CHAMPION
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP RUNNER UP
1PLAYER OF THE YEAR
21/22Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH CUP WINNER
20/21Ajax Amsterdam
1DUTCH SUPER CUP WINNER
2020Ajax Amsterdam

You forgot the Copa America.

He's actually won a major international tournament....

What do you think the chances are of them letting go of Antony after this? If we want him then I would have gone for him first. We need a RW/Attackers far more urgently.
I don't think we can afford him after going for Frenkie as well.

Gravenberch, Martinez, Mazraoui are all key players, and Haller too in some sense. Ajax is going to want to see 80+ million euro's for Anthony me thinks and will prefer to keep him.

They owe the new manager support as well.

From what I've seen, he's agile and has good balance... Might not be the best with long distance pace. Varane is great with that though.

Varane was once known to be quite a pact CB, but last season I thought he was quite lumbering and awkward. Based on last season I'd have him about level with Lindelof. In fact I had reservations when we signed him after watching him hopelessly try to defend against City in the CL, particularly Sterling who had him in toast and made him look amateur.

Varane was once known to be quite a pact CB, but last season I thought he was quite lumbering and awkward. Based on last season I'd have him about level with Lindelof. In fact I had reservations when we signed him after watching him hopelessly try to defend against City in the CL, particularly Sterling who had him in toast and made him look amateur.
Agree but no shame in being slower than Sterling.

Thank you. Who would you pair him with at United to compliment him best?

Varane I assume but Maguire or Lindelof?
No idea mate, I find our CB's tricky anyway. Maybe it's blind loyalty but Varane, Maguire, Lindelof can all be quality. But they also have been huge letdowns, so I have no idea which version of them will turn up. For aerial presence I think Maguire, and I think Maguire is better than Lindelof in general.

Lindelof has this crosspass to Rashford once every two months, but we wouldnt miss it with Martinez. He can play that pass every match.

To be fair that was in his first season I believe where he admitted himself he really struggled and hated his initial time at Ajax. So I doubt he was anywhere near his physical and mental peak at that point.

Hopefully that's the case. But I don't know if a bit more fitness and mental strength can account for the yards he lost that race by :lol:

Maguire has been outstanding in two international tournaments. What the feck has Martinez done in his career?
At some point people will realise international football is not a barometer anymore. 90% of his international matches are considerably easier than any Premier League game.

You forgot the Copa America.

He's actually won a major international tournament....

Didn’t play in the final. Or the final of the Finallisima.

In fact Argentina’s starting pair are Otamendi & Romero. So a 34 year old City reject & an on loan Spurs player are deemed better then this guy. Hardly a ringing endorsement of a player we’re about to drop €50 million on.

We have better players at the club in each of those positions already.

Eriksen plays deep now and his competition is Fred, McT and Garner before any more signings are made. Would say he instantly becomes our best midfielder if he joins now. And who knows which shape Shaw is in.

Imagine trying to favourably compare Maguire with any other footballer based on their achievements. :lol:

Dude won a championship playoff and the square root of feck all else.

God I am getting fed up of saying the same thing over again. We are only buying players that he knows this window because he wants signings who already know how he works and what is demanded

That's just a boring excuse, a good manager should be able to coach all his players.

He does look quality on the ball to be fair. We have CBs that are considered good with the ball, which I have always felt was a bit of a fallacy. But he plays passes our CBs just won't even attempt.
That’s what I’m interested in, how the team looks with a CB possessing his passing range.

Gravenberch, Martinez, Mazraoui are all key players, and Haller too in some sense. Ajax is going to want to see 80+ million euro's for Anthony me thinks and will prefer to keep him.
They owe the new manager support as well.

But like ETH's position at United, Schreuder can come in almost with a new slate and with lower expectations. He will have a lot more $$ and can afford to buy the players that suit his system?

Status
Not open for further replies.