Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so cool I violate the 3rd law of thermodynamics... :cool:

I watched those goals, only the lob was awesome, the others were well taken, but nowhere worthy of the wanking I've seen on here. He's the best player today, definitely in the best top 10 players ever, may be the best ever one day (waiting for the next World Cup/Copa America), but I'm not building my Messi shrine right now.

You should wank over any player that's in the top 10 ever though, really. They all deserve a shrine.

It looks like he's having to do that awkward trick where you have an erection and have to tuck it in the waist of your shorts.

Though his balls seem to be above his shaft, for some reason.

i think that the writter of that piece is cofunsing "better player" with "better achiever" the thing is that this year cristiano ronaldo might win la liga, the champions and the european cup, but still i'd regard messi as the best player of them both,
because, imo it doesn't have to do with what you win, but with how you play

taking maradona as an example, when he won the world cup with argentina, he wasn't the player that won more titles that year, because he shared the world cup with, for example, three river plate players, that that same year won the argentine league -it was really strong- the copa libertadores, the world cup -with diego- and the intercontinental cup

would someone say that those three players were better than diego?

The articles bollocks.

Hes right in the main point, but he basically writes a whole page about how hes achieved more trophies.

I thought he'd break down their abilities, talk about Messi's creative side, his big game performances etc.

i think that the writter of that piece is cofunsing "better player" with "better achiever" the thing is that this year cristiano ronaldo might win la liga, the champions and the european cup, but still i'd regard messi as the best player of them both,
because, imo it doesn't have to do with what you win, but with how you play

taking maradona as an example, when he won the world cup with argentina, he wasn't the player that won more titles that year, because he shared the world cup with, for example, three river plate players, that that same year won the argentine league -it was really strong- the copa libertadores, the world cup -with diego- and the intercontinental cup

would someone say that those three players were better than diego?

He isn't disputing that Messi isn't the best player. The whole article is basically that if Ronaldo was born in a different time from Messi he'd be the worlds best but he's unlucky to have to be in his prime when Messi is as well which is really a non point. He's got his fair share of personal trophies and he's the only player to be even compared to Messi. That must count for something.

He isn't disputing that Messi isn't the best player. The whole article is basically that if Ronaldo was born in a different time from Messi he'd be the worlds best but he's unlucky to have to be in his prime when Messi is as well which is really a non point. He's got his fair share of personal trophies and he's the only player to be even compared to Messi. That must count for something.

i know he is not disputing it, but he is reducing everything to achievements

Who should win the Ballon D'Or this season Marcos?
Messi will win it. Only chance Ronaldo has is if he leads Portugal to Euro win and even then it will only be 50/50. A Euro win coupled with CL win might finally take it away from Messi though.

Sid Lowe's piece in The Guardian is great stuff

"At 24, in his eight seasons, Messi's record is better than the very best. At this stage, Maradona had 196, Ronaldo 153, Henry 226, Cruyff 229 and Charlton 133. George Best got 179 in 11 seasons.

No one had as many trophies at this stage of their career either: Messi has 18. He has earned them: he scored in the final of the Copa del Rey, twice scored in the final of World Club Championships and twice scored in the Champions League final. Twice. Tuesday night was only a league game and his victims were only Granada. It might have been just another hat-trick except that it took him to 234 official goals for Barcelona. More, at 24, than anyone else has ever scored."

Who should win the Ballon D'Or this season Marcos?

even if ronaldo won the champions league and deserved it more than messi i honestly believe messi would still win just because everyone loves to hate ronaldo but loves messi and why shouldnt they? hes special but people need to cut ron some slack.

sfeOF.jpg

a newbie pmed me this pic. i think it's worth sharing it

Looks like there is a face by his groin coverings it's mouth with a hand. Total recall?

It is though if we're really being objective.Say he gets his leg broken tomorrow and won't play for the next 4-5 months, would you still give it to him ?
Pardon me for being too down to earth

It is though if we're really being objective.Say he gets his leg broken tomorrow and won't play for the next 4-5 months, would you still give it to him ?
Pardon me for being too down to earth
Lets be honest Ronaldo Nazario got a world player of the year for playing for a few months. A few months that included the world cup.

It shouldn't be that way, but the things Messi has done in the last few weeks (6 chips in a row or sumat...) will make it night impossible for him not to win it. A Ronaldo would have to win at the Nou Camp, the league, the Champions league and Euro 2012 to stand any chance of dethroning him.

These events can all still happen (Ronaldo winning the trophies you mentioned) and besides the voting system has changed from the Lui Ronaldo days.
After the Euro, we'll have a much clearer picture.There is no doubt that currently Messi is out there on his own but there's still some decent amount of football to be played

even if ronaldo won the champions league and deserved it more than messi i honestly believe messi would still win just because everyone loves to hate ronaldo but loves messi and why shouldnt they? hes special but people need to cut ron some slack.

Ronaldo has always got the portion of the vote that he deserved. Can't see why that would change this year.

These events can all still happen (Ronaldo winning the trophies you mentioned) and besides the voting system has changed from the Lui Ronaldo days.
After the Euro, we'll have a much clearer picture.There is no doubt that currently Messi is out there on his own but there's still some decent amount of football to be played
I hope so. Because for me Xavi and Sneijder were robbed of the award just 2 seasons back, yet the rules had supposedly changed. For that reason alone me thinks Messi will win the award regardless of what he ends up with this season For right now he has the same love from nearly everyone that Ronaldo N. had back in 2002

Even before the last few weeks he'd be the player in pole position to retain his Ballon D'or.

Its supposed to be for individual brilliance, not team achievements, so hes merited each of them.

Even before the last few weeks he'd be the player in pole position to retain his Ballon D'or.

Its supposed to be for individual brilliance, not team achievements, so hes merited each of them.

This. It's an individual award and the best player should get it. For a team peformance there are actually different awards, for example trophies.

This. It's an individual award and the best player should get it. For a team peformance there are actually different awards, for example trophies.
If that was the case the likes of Zidane and Maradona would have won it every year until they retired.

The fact is its an award for the player who has excelled the most in a team setting. Not the award to see who's individual skills and individual achievements are best.

If that was the case the likes of Zidane and Maradona would have won it every year until they retired.

The fact is its an award for the player who has excelled the most in a team setting over a season. Not the award to see who's individual skills and individual achievements are best over a season.

The fact is its an award for the player who has excelled the most in a team setting over a season. Not the award to see who's individual skills and individual achievements are best over a season.

maradona was ineligible because the award was reserved for european footballers, that's why he never won it

Its an award for the best player of that season, individually. Not for the best player in the team that won the trophies.

FACT.

His fellow players and the coaches voted him for these times, not much he can do about it.

Maybe Zidanes complete lack of consistency (something that seems to have been airbrushed out since his retirement) is the reason he never won it even more than he did?

Not true. Zidane was by no means the best player in the world every season during his career. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Henry, Figo, Figo, Nesta...there's not a chance he was better than the likes of these in every season.

I'm not contesting that Zidane was amazing, or that other factors often come into play when deciding these awards, but he simply wasn't that consistent or as good as that statement would suggest.

I like Zizou a lot but his legendary status definitely benefits A LOT from some inflated & exaggerated memories

I like Zizou a lot but his legendary status definitely benefits A LOT from some inflated & exaggerated memories

you'll find there are a lot of legends in the caf, all of them are imposible to contradict, even when you have the proofs at hand

maradona won alone,
stoke is invincible on mondays nights at home,
the premier league refs are the best in the world,
la liga defenders are bad,
only latins dive,
fouls are acceptable and part of the game, diving or feigning injury are not

you'll find there are a lot of legends in the caf, all of them are imposible to contradict, even when you have the proofs at hand

maradona won alone,
only latins dive,

tumblrlk2odxoroo1qej2rg.jpg

Watch him and watch those numbers and their inexorable rise. The statistics are almost surreal, utterly stupid. They belong to a different era. He is on course to be the Champions League's top scorer for a fourth consecutive season. Last year he equalled the competition's best ever tally; he needs one to surpass it this year. He has already scored more goals in a season than anyone else in Spanish history. And who would bet against that 54 becoming 60 or more? At 24, in his eight seasons, Messi's record is better than the very best. At this stage, Maradona had 196, Ronaldo 153, Henry 226, Cruyff 229 and Charlton 133. George Best got 179 in 11 seasons.

Lionel Messi's achievements beyond exaggeration as another record goes | Sid Lowe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/21/lionel-messi-record-goalscorer-barcelona

maradona won alone,
only latins dive,

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.