Leny Yoro | Out for 3 months with a metatarsal injury

A protective boot doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad. Bruno posted a pic of him in a boot and was playing 4 days later
We can only hope for the best, although it sounds like it will be a few weeks at least. I don't think they'll rush him back, either. He hopefully has a very long United career ahead of him - as frustrating as it is, no sense taking any chances with the boy.

The silver lining of his injury is probably United going back to Bayern for De Ligt, and not starting the season with an 18 year old CB carrying all the pressure to be an ever present in the back four.

Rest well Yoro!
Have we done 'ten Hag deliberately injured Yoro to force us to buy another Dutch player' yet?

The silver lining of his injury is probably United going back to Bayern for De Ligt, and not starting the season with an 18 year old CB carrying all the pressure to be an ever present in the back four.

Rest well Yoro!
While I would very much like to add de Ligt, I don't believe the Yoro injury will have any impact on our transfer plans. If the original intention was to bring de Ligt in, then they'll continue to pursue the deal. If the plan was either Yoro or de Ligt, then I don't think the injury will change the strategy. Yoro will be back - hopefully within a relatively short period of time. They'll want to get back to "plan A" when that happens, which could well have been to make him a regular starter. Maguire will provide cover in the meantime. Personally, I think adding de Ligt would be smart, and actually benefit Yoro in the long run, but resources are thin and the club may have other plans.

The whole training and medical set up has been a fecking joke.

There is something inherently wrong and we can’t fix it.

A protective boot doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad. Bruno posted a pic of him in a boot and was playing 4 days later

We should never compare a players recovery time to Bruno. Convinced the guy is superhuman!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the caf freak about an injury so much other than maybe when Martinez first broke his foot and everyone thought he’d tore his ACL cos Robbie savage said it on commentary

He said it was an achillies tendon rupture the stupid worzel gummidge looking cnut.

How can anyone make such sweeping assumptions about injuries that happen in matches being the direct result of the training we do?

Have a think about it and consider how a twisted ankle during a match, which can happen to any player at any time, can ever be related to the way the player is trained? Look at it rationally and consider whether Erik Ten hag can be blamed for the injury-proneness of players like Martial, Varane, Rashford & Shaw who all used to get injured a lot, long before ETH became manager.

I thought maybe they played on astrotuf, but was corrected by @GlasgowRedz (cheers), but the thing they've been doing, of using temporary grass has been terrible. The one in Atlanta was dreadful, according to Scaloni and several players:

(https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/ar...ain-about-copa-america-grass-in-opener/136641)

There's a good breakdown of the issues and complicated nature of installation and use of temporary grass on artificial turf, here: https://www.playmetrosports.com/pos...y-grass-over-turf-pitch-the-copa-america-2024

All of this is to say: it's not a pitch type you take lightly, and any players considered less than 100% fit, especially young players, should not be exposed to it (without great reason and justification).
I couldn't find any confirmation online as to how they have prepared the substrata to the grass that has been laid but read something that said the pitch for the World Cup (at the SoFi anyway) will be lifted by approx 600mm with soil before the pitch is laid.

This would then form a proper grass surface, I doubt that has been done here even though it was laid for the Copa America and our game. That being said it wasn't as if the pitch was cutting up or anything but Laurie Whitwell did say on the TOTD podcast that he had a closer look at the surface after the game and he thought it was very hard. Can only assume he is comparing this to EPL surfaces.

I couldn't find any confirmation online as to how they have prepared the substrata to the grass that has been laid but read something that said the pitch for the World Cup (at the SoFi anyway) will be lifted by approx 600mm with soil before the pitch is laid.

This would then form a proper grass surface, I doubt that has been done here even though it was laid for the Copa America and our game. That being said it wasn't as if the pitch was cutting up or anything but Laurie Whitwell did say on the TOTD podcast that he had a closer look at the surface after the game and he thought it was very hard. Can only assume he is comparing this to EPL surfaces.
When there is no underlayer to soak up water and contain it the grass will get dry right away even if you water it. With heats around 30 degrees and sunny will make the watering pretty useless really. The water will evaporate and drain seep right through without any layer of soil or other materials to contain the water.

Rest well Yoro!

With every journalist in the UK waiting for his first mistake ready to stick the dagger in.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the caf freak about an injury so much other than maybe when Martinez first broke his foot and everyone thought he’d tore his ACL cos Robbie savage said it on commentary
We're are collectively suffering from ptsd, any set back is blown up to huge proportions as we've been unsuccessful for more than a decade.

Actually thought it worked out well Mainoo getting injured last pre season and being eased in early/mid season rather than starting from the off and having immense pressure on him. Could be the same here but we need cover.

My own theory about injuries is that it is related to lack of squad strength in depth meaning we overplay (rather than overtrain) our best players and Bruno is almost the exception that proves the rule. I think that there were probably times in the last couple of seasons where the medical staff were indicating certain players might need a rest, even though they were not injured. The manager then has to weigh this against his need to get results right now seeing as the expectations are that United must win every game, and even a draw is often seen as a disaster. Given his job is on the line and the player themselves probably says they want to play (against the medical advice) - you can see how this could lead to injuries. You then have 'less good' players coming in who may have to be carried by the remaining first-teamers - again increasing the chances they get injured trying to cover for those players errors - e.g. making sprints and tackles they wouldn't otherwise be making.

get the midfield right and we can ride this injury out with a Maguire / Martinez pairing. Maguire looked pretty good alongside Martinez every time I've seen them together

He said it was an achillies tendon rupture the stupid worzel gummidge looking cnut.
Ah yeah that was it.

Must be like a whirlwind for Yoro at the minute. I bet he’s never really had much media attention before and now within a week of joining he’s had half the football community online going bonkers over an injury

Wonder if we're playing coy and being quite modest in the rumoured weeks he'd be out for to not look as desperate in any proposed negotiations for de Ligt.

We could have every single player injured in the team and people on here would say they are random injuries. It's not even close to normal the amount of injuries (especially in defence) we get. There is something inherently wrong, there's no question about that.

Don't know the authenticity of the source but as per their "vague info" he is out of 3-6 weeks.

Reporter: What's the news on Yoro? "
ETH: Oh, uh, three to six months. Ahem.
Reporter: Sorry, what's that again? A little louder?
ETH: I SAID... three to six
months
Reporter: Weeks?
ETH: As you said, it's a process. Eh. Amad? Can you fill in? Just remembered I left the, uh..... Forgot the linen.

Everton fans still being weird about us not buying their player:

so bizarre

We could have every single player injured in the team and people on here would say they are random injuries. It's not even close to normal the amount of injuries (especially in defence) we get. There is something inherently wrong, there's no question about that.
Over the course of the season we have too many injuries. This very well may be a systemic problem. But if someone has an injury the very moment the ink on the contract has dried, it's probably just bad luck.

Anyway I think we overestimate this problem. You should expect every premier league team to be up to date with modern sport science. The cost for professional medicals, physios and so on are peanuts compared to the cost of players these days. Maybe we just happen to have a lot of injury prone players in the squad, which leads to overplaying others, which in return leads to more injuries. And people always tend to underestimate coincidence and luck.

Some on here believed him and Martinez career was over before the final whistle went.

I always see it that protectitve boots are worn to stabilise the foot/ankle area while they wait on a scan to get a full picture of the injury. It's purely precautionary.

:confused: How so? Because Yoro got randomly injured? It’s random bad luck in that case

Except for the reports the day before the game from fan channels following the players on tour, saying that he was limping/carrying a knock.

How many times does bad luck mysteriously injure our players before it stops being bad luck? This has been going on well over a year now and there's repeated instances where there's reports about the player not being ready and us using them anyway.

If the 3-6 weeks reports are accurate we have actually gotten lucky really. That's pretty much the minimum for a strain or tear and at least wouldn't derail his season as long as he recovers ok (and we don't keep rushing players back the second they can walk like we did all last season).

Oh, that was really fascinating. One guy actually said Martinez' career is done because you can't come back from "torn achilles". The doom and gloom brigade are good at their job.

Caf rule number 1 - always assume the worst.

Except for the reports the day before the game from fan channels following the players on tour, saying that he was limping/carrying a knock.

How many times does bad luck mysteriously injure our players before it stops being bad luck? This has been going on well over a year now.

If the 3-6 weeks reports are accurate we have actually gotten lucky really. That's pretty much the minimum for a strain or tear.

Fake news. They just said he was sitting out a training session “as a precaution”. Which ETH had previously confirmed when he said Yoro was only involved in 50% of our training sessions. They obviously wanted to keep his workload down because he’s young and joining our preseason later than the other players. The whole limping/carrying a knock thing is made up.

Oh, that was really fascinating. One guy actually said Martinez' career is done because you can't come back from "torn achilles". The doom and gloom brigade are good at their job.

Caf rule number 1 - always assume the worst.

The depressing irony of all of that is that he might as well have done his ACL, for the amount of football he’s played since that injury.

Bad luck is a much worse explanation for the injuries than training issues. It just can’t all be coincidence.

Players like Varane and Casemiro needed to be playing once a week, but they were run into the ground too.

Something definitely needs to change in that respect, and a squad with better options is certainly part of that.