Lamine Yamal | Now 17 Year Old Barca Wonderkid

Barcelona cannot be trusted with development of youth players beyond a certain stage.

Pre first team - incredible. La Masia is probably one of the best, if not the best factory of top talent anywhere in the world.

First team - absolutely horrible mismanagement of young, talented players. They are immediately thrown into the fire before their bodies are fully developed, overplayed, completely overused and then never reach their potential because their bodies become completely broken. Or, if they are managed physically properly, the mental side is horrible and they are not given the space to grow from that perspective.

See: Pedri, Ansu Fati, Bojan Krkic, Gavi, Vitor Roque, Dembele, Trincao, Tobido, Halilovic etc.

Seriously, who is the last successful top class youth player in the past decade who went through the system or was signed from a young age to the first team and actually made it without mental issues or crippling injuries?

Araujo is about the only one I can think of.

Bloody ell I remember him. I guess it falls in with your point that I have no idea where he is now.

I think it sounds rather easy, he's 16 and his body is still developing. You need someone with a bit of common sense to sit him down and tell him that he has a long career ahead of him, and in order to make sure he actually has a long career at the highest level, then he definetely needs to be matched carefully until his body is ready. It's piss easy to show plenty of recent examples of young players breaking through at similar age, only to hit a brick wall where you can easily argue that the strain on their body has been far too high.

If clubs aren't going to be responsible then there's an obvious need for clear rules in terms of minutes on the pitch for players below 18.
Iirc Xavi mentioned they had a hard rule never to play him more than once a week
Is that easier said than done if the kid starts to become one they’re looking to for game-winning moments? Fully agree with the bolded.

Incidentally, Mbappé started off stupidly young. Would it be fair to state he was handled correctly?

Is that easier said than done if the kid starts to become one they’re looking to for game-winning moments?
They were last season and afaik kept to the plan, under pretty bad circumstances too

This will soon become one of those ‘age increases annually’ threads. I think even my grandmother knows that there’s a guy called Lamine Yamal who is very much 16 years old now.

A robben/neymar level talent I feel. They need to take care of his match time

A robben/neymar level talent I feel. They need to take care of his match time
If they don’t, they’ll destroy him as they did ansu fati.

feel Barca (and Spain) need to take responsibility and look after this lad better - and hopefully for Fati his muscles will recover and get back to a level he was destined for

Barcelona cannot be trusted with development of youth players beyond a certain stage.

Pre first team - incredible. La Masia is probably one of the best, if not the best factory of top talent anywhere in the world.

First team - absolutely horrible mismanagement of young, talented players. They are immediately thrown into the fire before their bodies are fully developed, overplayed, completely overused and then never reach their potential because their bodies become completely broken. Or, if they are managed physically properly, the mental side is horrible and they are not given the space to grow from that perspective.

See: Pedri, Ansu Fati, Bojan Krkic, Gavi, Vitor Roque, Dembele, Trincao, Tobido, Halilovic etc.

Seriously, who is the last successful top class youth player in the past decade who went through the system or was signed from a young age to the first team and actually made it without mental issues or crippling injuries?

Araujo is about the only one I can think of.

Dembele was a €120m+ signing and was 20 when he signed for Barcelona. He was never going to be load managed.

I think these players tend to get a bit overrated too.
It's a hell of a coincidence that just when Barcelona are broke and in dire need of better players, their academy (which had produced jack shit for a decade) suddenly has the new batch of Messis and Xavis and Iniestas.

It's a hell of a coincidence that just when Barcelona are broke and in dire need of better players, their academy (which had produced jack shit for a decade) suddenly has the new batch of Messis and Xavis and Iniestas.
I know what you mean, every single new Barsa youth product that has a good game gets crazy reviews. Laporta is a PR master.
But Yamal is the real deal. He's a fantastic player and has a crazy ceiling.

I definitely know what you mean, but there is no deniying that Fati, Gavi, Yamal and also Cubarsi looked like they belong at a very young age.
I am not saying that they all looked like "world class in the making" from the get-go and I think that Gavi is overrated but Yamal simply looks class.

I definitely know what you mean, but there is no deniying that Fati, Gavi, Yamal and also Cubarsi looked like they belong at a very young age.
I am not saying that they all looked like "world class in the making" from the get-go and I think that Gavi is overrated but Yamal simply looks class.

Gavi is a Koke level of talent I think, which isn't bad, Koke was a brilliant player for several years, but I always felt Gavi's status in the game was raised by his association with Pedri. It was always Gavi and Pedri this, Gavi and Pedri that etc, but when I actually watched the kid play, he was good but it was immediately evident that Pedri was doing a lot of heavy carrying in that duo's reputation.

Gavi is a Koke level of talent I think, which isn't bad, Koke was a brilliant player for several years, but I always felt Gavi's status in the game was raised by his association with Pedri. It was always Gavi and Pedri this, Gavi and Pedri that etc, but when I actually watched the kid play, he was good but it was immediately evident that Pedri was doing a lot of heavy carrying in that duo's reputation.
Concur. Pedri was just phenomenal until they broke him. Gavi was in his vapours.

Fans are more forgiving if the underperformance is as a result of playing young players. They believe it is only short term pain and it will eventually work out in the future.

Yep. Gavi‘s also a cnut and Pedri not a Barca product. :cool:

Totally agree with you. Barcelona tends to overhype their youngsters. Yamal looks good, but not extraordinary. Hoprefully for him, he doesn’t end up as Bojan or Ansu Fragile.

Juat a fact, Arda Güller got more goals than him playing 5-6 times less.

Doesn’t take away that a guy barely two years older scored noted goals in less time compared to him playing in a Barcelona side who plays for him and Lewandowski.

You are such a hater it's unreal, anything Barca related you attack, very strange behaviour. Yamal is 16 years old starting in the Euros. Early days but he looks destined for the very top, seethe.

You are such a hater it's unreal, anything Barca related you attack, very strange behaviour. Yamal is 16 years old starting in the Euros. Early days but he looks destined for the very top, seethe.

Ansu Fati broke the record for youngest goalscorer for the Spanish NT and Pedri broke the record for youngest Spanish NT player to start at the Euros too.

I am begging people to simply take it easy.

feel Barca (and Spain) need to take responsibility and look after this lad better - and hopefully for Fati his muscles will recover and get back to a level he was destined for

I dunno man, I dont really rate Fati even before his injuries. Felt like a slightly better inzaghi with extremely clinical timing/execution/surprising shots and more skills, but I never understood why he would be given the 10 after messi.

Yamal felt like a different level to Fati

They won’t. Barcelona PR machine is extreme, there’s even a journalist, Jota Jordi, who asked for the Ballon D’Or for Yamal and says Cubarsi is the best center back in the world. Barcelona biased journalist and Barcelona fans are deluded, they madly need a new messaiah in their darkest time.

They won’t. Barcelona PR machine is extreme, there’s even a journalist, Jota Jordi, who asked for the Ballon D’Or for Yamal and says Cubarsi is the best center back in the world. Barcelona biased journalist and Barcelona fans are deluded, they madly need a new messaiah in their darkest time.

Real's PR machine too...it's just the way it is, at least Real's one it's way more clever, Real has its internal issues, but almost never in the autoboicot level of Barca.

Jota Jordi it's not a journo, it's just another clown/character in Chiringuito.

I like the kid, the issue here it's the state of Barca right now as a team and institution to not burn him and that he is actually literally physically growing in front of the spotlight.

PD: many are very young, time will tell (because so many things has to go well and have great timing for any player to develope a great carreer) but we are witnessing a generational transition with Guller, Yamal, Wirtz, Musiala, Vini, Jude, etc and many others that will come

Last edited:
Ansu Fati broke the record for youngest goalscorer for the Spanish NT and Pedri broke the record for youngest Spanish NT player to start at the Euros too.

Yes, and they were absurd talents. Then their bodies started to disintegrate

And neither looked anything like Lamine Yamal. He's on a completely different level

I dunno man, I dont really rate Fati even before his injuries. Felt like a slightly better inzaghi with extremely clinical timing/execution/surprising shots and more skills, but I never understood why he would be given the 10 after messi.

Yamal felt like a different level to Fati
You’re possibly right - don’t think we’ll ever get to find out.

But it still doesn’t excuse the fact what Barca did and rush a kid back into football after injury.

hopefully Yamal won’t have anything like this to deal with though and we’ll get to enjoy how his career progresses

Yes, and they were absurd talents. Then their bodies started to disintegrate

They were talents, good ones. The 'absurd' part is where we get into overrating land. Pedri's body hasn't "disintegrated", let's not exaggerate.

Last edited:

Nah he’s right though. I get that’s it’s natural because you’re a Madrid man, but you do tend to go negativity with these things.

Wasn't replying to you mate, was the other poster who seems to have a raging hate boner towards Barca in every topic they come up in. I get that the club is in a bad spot especially PR wise and lying toads like Laporta and his levers etc etc but the stuff levelled at the club about ruining talents is a bit much and just seems like the latest stick to bash the club with, it's all good though this is a United forum and no I'm not a 'Barca bot' here to defend the club at all costs.

Pedri was the player mismanaged and a big part of that was down to him playing both Olympics AND Euros after a marathon season, at some point the agents/families of these players have to take some accountability there.

Ansu situation got ugly when he went against the clubs medical team and refused the operation.

Yamal situation is a tough one as at times he was legit our best attacker last season, it's not some Barca saviour hype job. Whilst he isn't close to Messi (nobody ever will be imo) he's certainly our biggest talent in a long time.

Reactions: Fortitude
Wasn't replying to you mate, was the other poster who seems to have a raging hate boner towards Barca in every topic they come up in. I get that the club is in a bad spot especially PR wise and lying toads like Laporta and his levers etc etc but the stuff levelled at the club about ruining talents is a bit much and just seems like the latest stick to bash the club with, it's all good though this is a United forum and no I'm not a 'Barca bot' here to defend the club at all costs.

Pedri was the player mismanaged and a big part of that was down to him playing both Olympics AND Euros after a marathon season, at some point the agents/families of these players have to take some accountability there.

Ansu situation got ugly when he went against the clubs medical team and refused the operation.

Yamal situation is a tough one as at times he was legit our best attacker last season, it's not some Barca saviour hype job. Whilst he isn't close to Messi (nobody ever will be imo) he's certainly our biggest talent in a long time.

Fair play to you for being level headed and objective.

I won't lie, I am not a fan of Barca as a club due to people like Laporta behind the scenes and the 'mes qué un club' cockiness surrounding it generally but the academy is just something else.

Even though Pedri and Fati didn't exactly end up as everyone expected, it's so impressive that players of that calibre are being generated seemingly endlessly. They're top level players just not the Messi/Xavi regens everyone expected.

Barca and United youth players are, in my opinion, the best in the world and I'm glad to see both clubs currently possessing multiple graduates in their first team squads.

He doesn't play like a kid. I was really impressed with him v Croatia . Looking forward to seei how he gets on in the game of the tournament so far against Italy .

You are spot on but expect to get replies after replies from Barca fans even some Liverpool fans for bad mouthing the wonder kid which you didn’t. It’s weird. It’s like they fill with rage if you ain’t singing and celebrating the next messiah.

They were talents, good ones. The 'absurd' part is where we get into overrating land. Pedri's body hasn't "disintegrated", let's not exaggerate.
He's not been able to get a consecutive month of fitness in a year

Fair play to you for being level headed and objective.

I won't lie, I am not a fan of Barca as a club due to people like Laporta behind the scenes and the 'mes qué un club' cockiness surrounding it generally but the academy is just something else.

Even though Pedri
and Fati didn't exactly end up as everyone expected, it's so impressive that players of that calibre are being generated seemingly endlessly. They're top level players just not the Messi/Xavi regens everyone expected.

Barca and United youth players are, in my opinion, the best in the world and I'm glad to see both clubs currently possessing multiple graduates in their first team squads.
I won’t miss a chance to point out that Pedri is not from Barca‘s academy. ;)
On Yamal: he is incredible. I am jealous.

I am so old I have se thousands new Maradona's, Pele's, Messie's, ect... He is good but people are going overboard. I sometimes feel for the younger players bec of fans and media pressure.

They are just kids, and I know from personal experience how is bad being pressured to be "great" at young age. I almost became alcoholic because of my pole vault dickhead coach.

Kid is good but people need to calm down.

Wasn't the issue with Fati that he sustained a knee injury which required surgery but heeded the advice of the physios and left it?

Wasn't the issue with Fati that he sustained a knee injury which required surgery but heeded the advice of the physios and left it?
Looks like it's a combo of being rushed back by the club / screwed up op jobs / player deciding against the club advice (but who can blame him on the latter if they rushed him back originally...) According to goal.com

according to The Athletic, a disagreement as to how exactly Fati's meniscus should be repaired. The winger had completely torn the ligament, and standard practice would be to replace it outright. However, the surgeon opted to suture the ligament — effectively stitching it back together.

Barca, however, rushed the player's rehab, reportedly doubling Fati's required physio sessions. His knee soon became inflamed, halting his recovery.

Two months later, the knee showed few signs of recovery, with the suture failing to help the ligament heal organically. So, Fati underwent another operation, described by the club as "regenerative biological treatment". And although his rehab was more measured at the second time of asking, his knee still didn't properly heal.

A more complicated option was on the table, one in which Fati could have his meniscus removed entirely. But due to fears of long-term issues, the player opted against the club's recommendation.

The knee pain persisted, and once Fati's suture failed to heal properly for the second time, he opted to undergo a third surgery, effectively a repeat of the first two.

That proved equally ineffective, and the teenager continued to experience pain and swelling in his left knee. He subsequently ditched the doctor who had completed the first three surgeries, ruled himself out until the end of the 2020-21 season - including that summer's European Championshio - and looked for other options.

He shouldn't be playing at the tournament. Too young and too many minutes this season already.

Looks like it's a combo of being rushed back by the club / screwed up op jobs / player deciding against the club advice (but who can blame him on the latter if they rushed him back originally...) According to goal.com

according to The Athletic, a disagreement as to how exactly Fati's meniscus should be repaired. The winger had completely torn the ligament, and standard practice would be to replace it outright. However, the surgeon opted to suture the ligament — effectively stitching it back together.

Barca, however, rushed the player's rehab, reportedly doubling Fati's required physio sessions. His knee soon became inflamed, halting his recovery.

Two months later, the knee showed few signs of recovery, with the suture failing to help the ligament heal organically. So, Fati underwent another operation, described by the club as "regenerative biological treatment". And although his rehab was more measured at the second time of asking, his knee still didn't properly heal.

A more complicated option was on the table, one in which Fati could have his meniscus removed entirely. But due to fears of long-term issues, the player opted against the club's recommendation.

The knee pain persisted, and once Fati's suture failed to heal properly for the second time, he opted to undergo a third surgery, effectively a repeat of the first two.

That proved equally ineffective, and the teenager continued to experience pain and swelling in his left knee. He subsequently ditched the doctor who had completed the first three surgeries, ruled himself out until the end of the 2020-21 season - including that summer's European Championshio - and looked for other options.
That's tragic, Barcelona ruined his career.

That's tragic, Barcelona ruined his career.

Remember how Barca sold their superstar player Ronaldinho simply because they feared his influence could stand in the way of Messi's development? They've come a long way since then. Those idiots really don't plan for more than one month into the future it seems.

Imagine Fati and Yamal in front of a midfield featuring Pedri and Gavi and a backline with Cubarsi. Five homegrown players easily worth €100+m each. La Masia provided them with a get out of jail for free card and they decided to burn it because they refuse to accept even one transitional season. Enfuriatingly short sighted