Lamine Yamal | Now 17 Year Old Barca Wonderkid

Garnacho plays in a much tougher league, he'd be eaten alive at that age.
Another thing people forget is great at 16 doesn’t mean great at 22.

Ronaldo and Quaresma at that age and guess who was rated better. Being a good player at 19 opens up the chance of turning into an elite footballer but all depends on progression, dedication person life etc. Some players just never kick on or hit there potential early.

Another thing people forget is great at 16 doesn’t mean great at 22.

Ronaldo and Quaresma at that age and guess who was rated better. Being a good player at 19 opens up the chance of turning into an elite footballer but all depends on progression, dedication person life etc. Some players just never kick on or hit there potential early.

Usually yes, but I'd put my money on Yamal making it to decent levels, if not Messi/Ronaldo level. He's a very good decision maker and uses his brain to aid his technical skills and not the other way around. Most "next great things" at 16 who don't make it are one trick pony's that score a lot of goals at youth levels or wingers who rely primarily on pace and trick.

Usually yes, but I'd put my money on Yamal making it to decent levels, if not Messi/Ronaldo level. He's a very good decision maker and uses his brain to aid his technical skills and not the other way around. Most "next great things" at 16 who don't make it are one trick pony's that score a lot of goals at youth levels or wingers who rely primarily on pace and trick.

Seriously? I can name all the players hyped from 16-18 to be the next Messi/Ronaldo only for them to fall completely short. You'd put money on this?

Barcelona cannot be trusted with development of youth players beyond a certain stage.

Pre first team - incredible. La Masia is probably one of the best, if not the best factory of top talent anywhere in the world.

First team - absolutely horrible mismanagement of young, talented players. They are immediately thrown into the fire before their bodies are fully developed, overplayed, completely overused and then never reach their potential because their bodies become completely broken. Or, if they are managed physically properly, the mental side is horrible and they are not given the space to grow from that perspective.

See: Pedri, Ansu Fati, Bojan Krkic, Gavi, Vitor Roque, Dembele, Trincao, Tobido, Halilovic etc.

Seriously, who is the last successful top class youth player in the past decade who went through the system or was signed from a young age to the first team and actually made it without mental issues or crippling injuries?

Araujo is about the only one I can think of.

Barcelona cannot be trusted with development of youth players beyond a certain stage.

Pre first team - incredible. La Masia is probably one of the best, if not the best factory of top talent anywhere in the world.

First team - absolutely horrible mismanagement of young, talented players. They are immediately thrown into the fire before their bodies are fully developed, overplayed, completely overused and then never reach their potential because their bodies become completely broken. Or, if they are managed physically properly, the mental side is horrible and they are not given the space to grow from that perspective.

See: Pedri, Ansu Fati, Bojan Krkic, Gavi, Vitor Roque, Dembele, Trincao, Tobido, Halilovic etc.

Seriously, who is the last successful top class youth player in the past decade who went through the system or was signed from a young age to the first team and actually made it without mental issues or crippling injuries?

Araujo is about the only one I can think of.

I'm actually curious about this one since I was having an argument with someone else on the caf about Mainoo / Garnacho over-reliance and what type of mids / forwards we should target. Is there some research / thinking around how many minutes are appropriate for a young player's development?

I think Rashford, Messi, Greenwood were thrown to the wolves as soon as they were good to go. The old if you're good enough, you're old enough mantra. I do think minutes are mostly good. That's why we send young players out on loan and want them to play in the first team and develop. But there's such a thing as too much playtime even if their body isn't at a risk of burnout.

I'm actually curious about this one since I was having an argument with someone else on the caf about Mainoo / Garnacho over-reliance and what type of mids / forwards we should target. Is there some research / thinking around how many minutes are appropriate for a young player's development?

I think Rashford, Messi, Greenwood were thrown to the wolves as soon as they were good to go. The old if you're good enough, you're old enough mantra. I do think minutes are mostly good. That's why we send young players out on loan and want them to play in the first team and develop. But there's such a thing as too much playtime even if their body isn't at a risk of burnout.

What Messi/Rashford/Greenwood etc played is nothing to the absurd loads of the Barca players. Their developments were reasonable, and Messi didn't start every game, often came from the bench and was managed correctly.

Compare to Pedri, who at the age of 17 played 73 games that season for club and country. Absolutely outrageous. Then, unsurprisingly, he began to break down.

Gavi is undergoing a similar trajectory.

Ansu Fati played 50 games in his debut season as a 16 year old. Look at the results, absolutely unsurprising.

Seriously? I can name all the players hyped from 16-18 to be the next Messi/Ronaldo only for them to fall completely short. You'd put money on this?

If you read my post without getting aggrevated, you'll understand what I meant and not what you saw.

What Messi/Rashford/Greenwood etc played is nothing to the absurd loads of the Barca players. Their developments were reasonable, and Messi didn't start every game, often came from the bench and was managed correctly.

Compare to Pedri, who at the age of 17 played 73 games that season for club and country. Absolutely outrageous. Then, unsurprisingly, he began to break down.

Gavi is undergoing a similar trajectory.

Ansu Fati played 50 games in his debut season as a 16 year old. Look at the results, absolutely unsurprising.

But is there some math here? Why don't more games simply translate to more experience and a better player?

But is there some math here? Why don't more games simply translate to more experience and a better player?

Because you are still undergoing puberty/growth and your body is still changing. Having outrageous stress on your body at that age causing high risk of injury leads to some awful consequences.

Because you are still undergoing puberty/growth and your body is still changing. Having outrageous stress on your body at that age causing high risk of injury leads to some awful consequences.

Yeah I mean that's exactly what I'm asking for. Is there some research around this topic? i.e., how many games are recommended for a 16yo?

Too much workload.

Everyone seems to applaud his performances not realising it comes at the cost of his future.

Definitely one to watch for young player of the tournament.

Being a top 3 right winger in the world at 16 is actually unbelievable. Probably only behind Salah and Saka at the moment but with a higher ceiling than both of them.

He's 99% going to become one of the best players in the next 15 years, comparisons to other highly rated teenagers who didn't achieve as much as expected later is pointless. Yamal has the natural talent to be a great, if things don't work out as well as they should, it won't be because of that.

Too much workload.

Everyone seems to applaud his performances not realising it comes at the cost of his future.
Yeah. I find the thread odd - can't help having the mindset of we're watching a countdown to ruin, and that's hard to celebrate.

I have no faith in Barcelona or Spain after what they did to Pedri, who is now a shadow of himself.

Kids like this truly present a problem, however; what exactly should be done with them? He's a literal world-beating talent, and on merit would lock down that position in almost all teams on the planet right now. On the other hand, how irresponsible is it to play him, knowing the consequences down the road?

Maradona comes to mind as the one player who was fully active (and a star) at 16 who was still a top player in his mid 30s (when sober); even Pelé was broken by that age despite living a tee total life. Rooney, Cesc, Owen and basically the vast majority of teenage superstars were a broken mess well before they should've been.

It'll be more a miracle if this kid is OK by 30 than if he's as broken as those who have gone before him.

Still, it's an abnormal predicament and begs the question of how long they could limit his minutes before that itself would be inorganic.

Yeah. I find the thread odd - can't help having the mindset of we're watching a countdown to ruin, and that's hard to celebrate.

I have no faith in Barcelona or Spain after what they did to Pedri, who is now a shadow of himself.

Kids like this truly present a problem, however; what exactly should be done with them? He's a literal world-beating talent, and on merit would lock down that position in almost all teams on the planet right now. On the other hand, how irresponsible is it to play him, knowing the consequences down the road?

Maradona comes to mind as the one player who was fully active (and a star) at 16 who was still a top player in his mid 30s (when sober); even Pelé was broken by that age despite living a tee total life. Rooney, Cesc, Owen and basically the vast majority of teenage superstars were a broken mess well before they should've been.

It'll be more a miracle if this kid is OK by 30 than if he's as broken as those who have gone before him.

Still, it's an abnormal predicament and begs the question of how long they could limit his minutes before that itself would be inorganic.

I don't think he's that good yet, but obviously a massive talent.

Given his age, there's no doubt in my mind that he should be matched very carefully for the next few years, generally up until players he's 19.

I think Barcelona/Spain will run him into the ground over the next five years and he won't be relevant by the time he's 23-25. It's already happened with Ansu Fati - just look at the threads on here about him - he was the next 'Messi' and destined to be world class for the next 15 years.

It's not a cert that Yamal will go the same way but he's already playing too much elite level football considering his age.

Will be sold to balance the books?

Ultimately socios would rather sell players than part of the club itself ?

I think a lot of clubs get blinded by exceptional technical ability and ignore the other factors involved in being ready for first team football. Plenty of teenagers are exceptionally gifted either technically or physically and absolutely justify their time on the pitch with their performances. Every so often you get 16 and 17 year olds that either have a freakish combination of both physicality and skill (eg. Rooney) or are so far beyond the norm technically (eg. Messi) that they get to play regular top level football at a very young age, but there seems to be a trend with these recent Barcelona talents where I feel like the club is so blinkered by their skill that they fail to fully consider two equally important factors:

1) Whether their bodies are physically mature enough to cope with that amount of game time, and/or

2) Whether the players themselves are mentally mature enough to deal with the enormous weight of expectation placed on them at such a young age

Yamal is 16. He might be exceptionally gifted and physically beyond his years, but because of that he's already supposed to be one of the star performers for one of the biggest clubs in the world and one of the best national teams in the world, at a time where both teams are in a bit of a dip relative their recent peaks and don't have as many experienced superstars that can decide games and keep the pressure off the youngsters. It's one thing to be young and gradually being bled into a squad and another entirely to be thrown to the wolves with almost no room to make the mistakes a young player is inevitably going to make. I'm so far beyond 16 years old at this point that I hardly remember what it was like, but I'm pretty sure I'd be shiting bricks if people expected me to carry even some middling team in a second-rate league at that age, let alone fecking Barcelona and Spain. The list of prodigies that either burn out, think they've made it and lose their drive or just crumble under the pressure when they're given too much too soon is getting quite long. You have to wonder how many of them would have had great careers if they were nurtured with a little more care. I hope Yamal fulfills his potential, because he could be the next big thing, but I can't shake the feeling that we could be looking at the start of another tragic what if.

Will be sold to balance the books?

Ultimately socios would rather sell players than part of the club itself ?
They just want to beat Madrid so I don't think they want to sell he who will be their best player in a season or two. They'll probably break him in the process though.

They just want to beat Madrid so I don't think they want to sell he who will be their best player in a season or two. They'll probably break him in the process though.
He is already their best player

I...don't know, maybe i'm overreacting, but every single time I've seen him play I wasn't watching a future great, I was seeing a current top 5 player in the world...

I think Barcelona/Spain will run him into the ground over the next five years and he won't be relevant by the time he's 23-25. It's already happened with Ansu Fati - just look at the threads on here about him - he was the next 'Messi' and destined to be world class for the next 15 years.

It's not a cert that Yamal will go the same way but he's already playing too much elite level football considering his age.
But was Fati 'run into the ground' or was he just unlucky with injuries?

Playing „kids“ 24/7 is asking for them to get injured. Sure, there is always luck involved, but you simply have to manage minutes. I understand Barca‘s desperation of staying competitive while being restricted in regards to transfers, but first of all that is on them and second, you cannot take it out on these kids.

Definitely the rout to ruin a youngster is too give him way too much playing time, their bodies are simply not ready to sustain that kind of workload. We saw how it affected Ansu Fati, Gavi and Pedri. Yet barca seems it hasn't learn his lesson and it's repeating the same mistake again with Yamal.

We should learn a thing or two for Garnacho who played way too many games last season.

Playing „kids“ 24/7 is asking for them to get injured. Sure, there is always luck involved, but you simply have to manage minutes. I understand Barca‘s desperation of staying competitive while being restricted in regards to transfers, but first of all that is on them and second, you cannot take it out on these kids.
But were those injuries coincidence or because of the many minutes he played?

I think the biggest problem was (as is also the case with Pedri) that Barca are so desperate that they frequently rushed back both these players from injuries which led to multiple recurrences. Yamal is already playing an alarming number of minutes at 16 despite the fact that Barca have a 60m right winger in Raphinha who really should be sharing the load with him. You hope that he won't go down the Fati and Pedri paths in terms of injuries but its hard to have faith in Barca.

I think the biggest problem was (as is also the case with Pedri) that Barca are so desperate that they frequently rushed back both these players from injuries which led to multiple recurrences. Yamal is already playing an alarming number of minutes at 16 despite the fact that Barca have a 60m right winger in Raphinha who really should be sharing the load with him. You hope that he won't go down the Fati and Pedri paths in terms of injuries but its hard to have faith in Barca.
Fair point. Raphinha should share the load.

Yesterday was my first proper time getting to watch him, raw but definitely looks a talent.

I don't think he's that good yet, but obviously a massive talent.

Given his age, there's no doubt in my mind that he should be matched very carefully for the next few years, generally up until players he's 19.
On “pure talent” there’s very few who can match up to him, and even those that do, he has factors to his game they’d be hard pressed to match. He’s clearly an exceptional talent, one you wouldn’t be surprised to potentially challenge for the Ballon d’Or, if they don’t break him.

I’m more in line with @giorno with his line of thinking than the comparisons to the likes of Mahrez, who never had the decision making and clarity of when to dribble and when to pass; Yamal already does that in stride without hesitation. The hype about him is as warranted as it was for Pedri, but the fear is the path to ruin is, too.

As I said in my previous post, it’s a headache to have a player break through so young in terms of managing minutes for the fact that holding him back may well become inorganic if done incorrectly. I think I’d seek advice from the medical staff and sports scientists regarding how many minutes a growing boy should see and stick to that - I think the temptation is going to be the reliance on form, but again, that was the folly of Pedri, and you’d like to think that those handling him won’t be that dumb, for the umpteenth time.

On “pure talent” there’s very few who can match up to him, and even those that do, he has factors to his game they’d be hard pressed to match. He’s clearly an exceptional talent, one you wouldn’t be surprised to potentially challenge for the Ballon d’Or, if they don’t break him.

I’m more in line with @giorno with his line of thinking than the comparisons to the likes of Mahrez, who never had the decision making and clarity of when to dribble and when to pass; Yamal already does that in stride without hesitation. The hype about him is as warranted as it was for Pedri, but the fear is the path to ruin is, too.

As I said in my previous post, it’s a headache to have a player break through so young in terms of managing minutes for the fact that holding him back may well become inorganic if done incorrectly. I think I’d seek advice from the medical staff and sports scientists regarding how many minutes a growing boy should see and stick to that - I think the temptation is going to be the reliance on form, but again, that was the folly of Pedri, and you’d like to think that those handling him won’t be that dumb, for the umpteenth time.

I think it sounds rather easy, he's 16 and his body is still developing. You need someone with a bit of common sense to sit him down and tell him that he has a long career ahead of him, and in order to make sure he actually has a long career at the highest level, then he definetely needs to be matched carefully until his body is ready. It's piss easy to show plenty of recent examples of young players breaking through at similar age, only to hit a brick wall where you can easily argue that the strain on their body has been far too high.

If clubs aren't going to be responsible then there's an obvious need for clear rules in terms of minutes on the pitch for players below 18.

Iirc Xavi mentioned they had a hard rule never to play him more than once a week