La Liga - 2012/2013

Was more like Messi 09/10 at times tonight. That last run would've been some goal.

1st player to have scored at least 42 goals in 2 consecutive seasons in one of the top 4 leagues in Europe. Plus, he finished the night as Captain for the first time in a Liga match

Barça had only 53% (!) possession, were outshot by Rayo (7-8 shots on target; in fairness 19-17 total shots + hit the woodwork 3x) and scored all of their goals on the counter... Barcelona played 548 passes at 83% accuracy, Rayo 481 passes at 80%.

Messi-Villa combo destroyed the Rayo backline, but collectively they weren't very far off.

That must've been the most direct game of Guardiola/Vilanova-era Barça that I can remember since their treble-winning season.

Interesting.

Cheers for that, Skorenzy. I was only half-watching the game so didn't see a great deal, but Rayo did get in behind the Barcelona defence quite easily at times. There's no way they are winning the Champions League this season if they continue to be so porous at the back.

Interesting.

Cheers for that, Skorenzy. I was only half-watching the game so didn't see a great deal, but Rayo did get in behind the Barcelona defence quite easily at times. There's no way they are winning the Champions League this season if they continue to be so porous at the back.

I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's that clear cut. Their biggest problem has been the lack of pressing up front, going on for the second season in a row now. If they can replicate that collective, persistent pressing from the recent Milan game (and previous seasons) their actual backline personnel doesn't matter all that much.

2009 CL Final:

Sylvinho - Piqué - Yaya Touré - Puyol

2011 CL Final:

Abidal - Piqué - Mascherano - Dani Alves

Though it's becoming exceedingly clear that when Xavi is absent they sorely lack any measure of control over games (cf. tonight's game). His unique ball retention is first and foremost a defensive tactic; to the extent that it had begun to stiffle Barça's offense (ie, no penetration) against compact midfield blocks. Guardiola tried to be one step ahead and experimented with 3-4-3 in his final season, which would be able to naturally counter the so-called "parked busses" through its width. Against Milan they went back to that, with what was in effect a back three of Piqué-Mascherano-Alba and Dani Alves high up on his flank as a winger (in the average position diagrams on WhoScored.com he's as far up as Pedro on the opposite side).

So far the reign of Vilanova has been typefied by the directness of this Barça team (why they're scoring such an insane number of goals, 3.14 gpg!!, although similar numbers can be seen in Guardiola's last season --> he was also trying to implement the directness he deemed necessary to evolve), which comes at a price of course: imbalance in transitions from attack to defense and a relative loss of control (why they're conceding so much more than usual).

I believe it was Guardiola himself that once said that Barça are awful without the ball, hence why they need to monopolize it and win it back instantly far away from their goal. The current transition was always going to result in a defense that looked more "shaky", when in fact the most influential difference is the lack of pressing in midfield & forward areas (although to be fair, Abidal > Jordi Alba on a defensive level) and a "declining" Xavi.

That's my take on it, anyway.

edit: after re-reading my post, just to clarify, I'd like to add that the increased directness and the lack of pressing are two distinct, unrelated tendencies IMO, the former was purposefully implemented, the latter maybe has more to do with burn-out after 3-4 seasons (à la Sacchi's Milan)??

Interesting.

By that definition it's Juventus' to lose.

Pinto with a superb double save after Piqué messes up his clearance. What a reflex :eek:

First I thought Messi was looking for it, but on the replays I don't really see what else he could have done to avoid it there. Anyway if that was a pen then so was Bartra's blocking off of a Celta player earlier.

When Park was tugging on Bartra's shoulder beforehand? That is normally a free kick all day long.

I think you need to rewatch that. Bartra put his arm around the forward's body first and just looked to block the player rather than play the ball. Could have been a pen, just as much as Messi's (although the foul on Messi was more clear).

I think you need to rewatch that. Bartra put his arm around the forward's body first and just looked to block the player rather than play the ball. Could have been a pen, just as much as Messi's (although the foul on Messi was more clear).

Park put his hand on Bartras shoulder first which slows a player down. If that hadn't have happened, then Park wouldn't never have gone down. There was clear obstruction from Bartra, but the referee whistled for the first foul by Park.

Song really is shite. He should be nowhere near the first team.

:confused: don't think he played particularly poor so far? Bartra and Piqué are making a mess of it at the back and Fàbregas has been worse IMO. Thiago doing well defensively, but not much offensively. Tello's been very predictable but this game has the space he needs.

Bartra is too weak physically to be a decent CB. He has to resort to using his arms all the time, no upper body strength.

What a feckin' goal! That pass first by Messi, great return from Tello and a unique record for Messi. The winning goal in this game as well... it's ridiculous :lol:

for the money he cost and the money he's earning Fabregas really should start pulling his weight.

Him, Song and Mascherano just don't look on the same wavelength.

As for the penalty and red card claims, I think the ref got both right. Bertran's just got away with it because of Park's initial tug. Messi's penalty claim is debatable, he's overrun it and there's a mutual coming together.

Even though they've fallen behind, been impressed with Celta tonight. Good shape and discipline and their goal was delightfully crafted albeit scrappily executed.

Him, Song and Mascherano just don't look on the same wavelength.

As for the penalty and red card claims, I think the ref got both right. Bertran's just got away with it because of Park's initial tug. Messi's penalty claim is debatable, he's overrun it and there's a mutual coming together.

Even though they've fallen behind, been impressed with Celta tonight. Good shape and discipline and their goal was delightfully crafted albeit scrappily executed.

You noticed this too then??? It was an obvious foul.