La Liga - 2012/2013

Barça go 2 up against Rayo, Villa assisted by Messi for the 1st, Messi assisted by Villa for the 2nd.

What a goal... Messi absolutely destroyed that defender.

When Messi gets running with the ball, it is like watching Usain. 13th double for the season and approaching his current record of 50 goals in 38 games, with 42 in 28 games so far. Only 18 more goals to beat his current record of 73 goals in a season.

What the feck ? How is it possible that each year he surpasses his ridiculous goalscoring achievements ? I thought last season was about as much as he could ever accomplish but no it doesn't seem to be enough for him :wenger:

The Messi Villa axis has been brilliant tonight. Good to see Villa playing himself into form and hopefully a new contract.

What the feck ? How is it possible that each year he surpasses his ridiculous goalscoring achievements ? I thought last season was about as much as he could ever accomplish but no it doesn't seem to be enough for him :wenger:

Indeed, his league stats for this season means he is scoring at a rate of 1.5 goals per game, with an overall average of 1.27 goals per game.

The first and third goals tell me that Messi didn't really lose his dribbling ability (like some has been suggesting here), but rather the way the teams are playing him now is different (with at least three defenders guarding him whenever he gets the ball). When he gets space and a little room to work with he can still embarrass the defenders like he always used to do.