Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid watch

Good on him speaking out about voting. Good on the whole french squad really

Now if he doesn't wear a purple mask... :devil:

they should in general stay the feck out or stuff like voting for specific parties

FB-IMG-1718712132719.jpg

The guy just got a €150m and left the country. Doesn't strike me as an ideal political spokesman to convince your French man on the street...

The guy just got a €150m and left the country. Doesn't strike me as an ideal political spokesman to convince your French man on the street...
Such a nonsense point of view. Rich people in virtually any other field can talk about politics without fear of censure, but for some reason, rich sportspeople (who are not even close to being the richest among us) get the 'shut up and dribble' bit whenever they dare to express an opinion.

Such a nonsense point of view. Rich people in virtually any other field can talk about politics without fear of censure, but for some reason, rich sportspeople (who are not even close to being the richest among us) get the 'shut up and dribble' bit whenever they dare to express an opinion.
Maybe in your country.

Huh. Well I’m Scottish and my accent is rhotic so that’s a bit weird.

I think you might have missed my use of generally there. Of course, if your accent is rhotic, you'll be more used to hearing it, but that still doesn't change the fact that most English-speaking people will hear "American" in rhotic accents, and I say that as a Canadian, where we're pretty much a hundred percent rhotic, yet a fraction of their population. In other words, there are many pockets of rhotic accents in English-speaking countries, but the vast majority of rhotic accents are found in the country with a third of a billion people (even though they too have pockets such as Boston and New York City, which are nonrhotic). All of which doesn't change the fact that, to most English speakers, a non-English-speaking person whose natural accent is rhotic (A Parisian Frenchman, in this case) is going to sound a little "American." Maybe not to you if you hear rhotic accents all day, and maybe not to me (ditto), but I was answering the question as to why Mbappé sounds "American" to so many people, and that was my answer.

He has realised his influence and the importance of keeping far right wing parties from gaining power. Good on him. Right wing already have a crazy advantage in terms of markering, so it is about time some counter-marketing was done by someone with actual influence over young voters.

Fair play to him but when rich/famous people speak out about these things, sometimes it has the opposite affect. I remember the support Hilary Clinton got against Trump, don't think it helped.

Anyway, Madrid have spent so much on Mbappe and France may be playing him with a nasty injury, so could get messy.

Politicians very often say and do things I don't share, I dont see why the likes of Mbappe cannot share their thoughts on it. If people do not like it. They can tune him out.

So…any update on his return? I take it he’s likely to miss their next match at the very least, but he’ll return for the knock out phase?

This translation feels a lot more impactful than what was actually said. He straight up refused to utter the words RN or name actual people. All things considered it was a pretty tame statement compared to Thuram's a day before.

The best part was "we hope to still be proud to wear this shirt on July 7th" though.

So what he actually said before translation? Actually I never understood why would anyone support Le Pen beyond wanting to show displeasure at Macron

So…any update on his return? I take it he’s likely to miss their next match at the very least, but he’ll return for the knock out phase?
Latest yesterday seemed to be that he was being fitted for a face guard- but no word as to when he might return with that. Forcing a return for the game against the Netherlands might be less important than returning for the Austria game. Can't imagine a mask is comfortable to wear for someone who relies on speed and precision.

Latest yesterday seemed to be that he was being fitted for a face guard- but no word as to when he might return with that. Forcing a return for the game against the Netherlands might be less important than returning for the Austria game. Can't imagine a mask is comfortable to wear for someone who relies on speed and precision.
It'd be silly from Deschamps to risk him. They have 3 points already and can wait to put him in until Tuesday against Poland or even later if need be. With the squad they have they should be able to go through even if they lost to the Netherlands.

He can't wear mask with French motives... Big yikes when you see Qatar sponsors, when Germany tried to be big bollocks in WC.

I am praying for when one team would walk away from the match.

What does this even mean?

I assume it's referring to the fact that the Germany side protested against Qatar at the WC by covering their hands over their mouths and wearing rainbows on their kits but now the tournament is sponsored by Qatar airways. Bit different though as that Qatar deal is with UEFA rather than Germany. Still kind of funny.

I assume it's referring to the fact that the Germany side protested against Qatar at the WC by covering their hands over their mouths and wearing rainbows on their kits but now the tournament is sponsored by Qatar airways. Bit different though as that Qatar deal is with UEFA rather than Germany. Still kind of funny.
Well, as you said, Germany is not responsible for the UEFA sponsors. I still don't mind the German players for doing what they did.

I’ve made a point of catching France’s games just to watch him but he’s been really disappointing so far. I wonder if he’ll spring to life from here on in. He’s missed some really poor chances too, so it’s not as if he’s been completely starved of service.

Very limp tournament from him. Looked like he couldn’t be arsed for most of it.

He's overrated. Said it for a while and I'll die on this hill. He's overrated.

Does this mean he's crap? No.

Just not as good as everyone thinks he is

Another poor Euros. The drop off from Messi and Cristiano is such a drop, man :lol:

Is this really the biggest 'star' in the sport these days?
Yuh, the amount he to flatters to deceive is quite staggering. I feel with Ronaldo and Messi they would decide these games more often than not. Mbappe basically goes missing in most of the big games. I know he’s done well in two World Cup finals but apart from that he’s been horrendous for PSG in Cl knockouts and has been poor the last two Euros. Decision making and composure at times isn’t the level you’d expect.

Yuh, the amount he to flatters to deceive is quite staggering. I feel with Ronaldo and Messi they would decide these games more often than not. Mbappe basically goes missing in most of the big games. I know he’s done well in two World Cup finals but apart from that he’s been horrendous for PSG in Cl knockouts and has been poor the last two Euros. Decision making and composure at times isn’t the level you’d expect.
I haven't watched a game from him in a while where I go "wow"

Barcola absolutely outshone him today.

I mean, not his biggest fan, but it's pretty much how Ronaldo looked in most of his past Euros too to be fair.