Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid watch

You're forgetting the final Ronaldo scored in the year before and was excellent in. Also I dunno if you're misremembering but Ronaldo was our only attacking player in 09 who was remotely good, he tried very hard that day. He was also the main reason we even got to that final with his deciding goal vs Porto and the goals at Arsenal. Rooney was far more disappointing. Ronaldo wasn't stellar or anything but he didn't miss a glaring sitter like Mbappe did at 0-0 in the Bayern final and was probably our best player on the day in a very poor team performance.

I already stated Ronaldo was very good in the 2008 final.

We have a very different definition of good in the subsequent final though.

Ronaldo bought in the 'Messi vs Ronaldo' hype and played extremely selfish in that final. I don't think he was good at all.

He scored 4 goals on that run to the CL final. He played a big part, but calling him the main reason is disingenuous. We had a very good team and our success that season was predicated on our back 4 + VDS.

Ronaldo was bit less athletic, but much more technically sound, had a much better shot and was much better in the air. He won games for his team with individual skill way more often than Mbappé does, while playing in stronger leagues.

Di maria was at least as good as Messi in 2010, better in 2014, as bad in 2018 and bit worse in 2022. I don't think he was better overall, but saying so wouldn't be an absurd; before 2022, it would be the correct answer.

Nah don't agree, Di Maria wasn't as good in 2010 and wasn't as good in 2014, wasn't as good in 2022.

Well he deffo has, relative to his ability and expectation.
I mean ffs, if someone said to you in 2017 when Mbappe signed for PSG that in the next seven seasons he’d fail to score a goal or put in a decisive performance in a CL Semi Final or beyond you’d have been told “Gtf”..
Anytime PSG have reached those decisive games he’s been nowhere to be seen. This year against Dortmund and against city in 2021 are particular standouts as massive underperformances. PSG have massively underperformed in the Cl and whilst that’s not entirely his fault, with the individual quality he possesses he should have been dragging PSG through some of those games.

I would say it's barely his fault at all, for example in 2022 he was brilliant against Real Madrid over two legs and then PSG crumbled in the space of 17 minutes with Donnaruma, Marquinhos and others making mistakes. Yes there is an onus on him to make things happen but PSG have had a terrible mentality that goes outside his control. It will be interesting to see how he does at Real Madrid now, which is the opposite.

I watched practically most of Madrid and Barca's games.

Vini's record prior to the winter break was 4 goals and 1 assist in 11 games in La Liga.

Post winter break it was 11 goals and 5 assists in 15.

That's...not a sign of consistency.

Before the winter break, he was injured twice and also had to learn how to play without a striker in front of him, which takes some time.

After January, he was fit and adapted his game to the new tactical set up. And that's just one season. He's been sensational since 2021.

Saying Vinicius is inconsistent simply doesn't match the reality of the past 3 seasons.

Ronaldo bought in the 'Messi vs Ronaldo' hype and played extremely selfish in that final. I don't think he was good at all.

He scored 4 goals on that run to the CL final. He played a big part, but calling him the main reason is disingenuous. We had a very good team and our success that season was predicated on our back 4 + VDS.

Yeah Ronaldo was horrible in that final, terrible hero ball and consistently selfish play. He was great though in the build-up, Porto he scored that screamer and the Arsenal games he was great.

I think 2008 and 2017 were the only outstanding CL finals Ronaldo had out of the 6 he played, other 4 he was either poor or non-existent. But he's still remembered as a clutch player, so that's why I don't think Mbappé will be too worried about this tournament - people will remember the 2022 World Cup final and forget this tournament in 10 years time.

He was bad in the 2009 final, played for himself and was determined to get his own Hollywood moment.

As for Mbappe, well that was a pretty bad tournament for him all round. Lovely ball in for the first goal, but by and large he was terrible and the less said about his shooting the better. It’d be interesting to know what Madrid fans are thinking right now.

Some ridiculous ott reactions in this thread. He will bang then in routinely once he’s playing for Madrid. He was injured for most of the tournament and playing in a defensive system where no French attacker or even midfielder looked particularly good (Kante aside).

Think he didn't look fully fit which is what everyone has been saying. He was really carrying the whole French attack in terms of threat which is kinda worrying for France in some ways because they're stacked for defenders and defensive midfielders but creativity and consistent forwards seem to be problems.

Unfortunate that Mbappe has to hardcarry a stacked team like France even when badly injured, and the talent in the French team way too overblown. None of the young midfielders are as effortlessly industrious as Kante and when Camavinga came on the difference was night and day in terms of footballing nous. Non-prime Kante had to hoover up the ball up in midfield and carry it into the box because France had no creative playmaker. Once he was off it was difficult for France to win the ball as easily.

Mbappe isn't a natural playmaker but he will probably need to do it all in the NT until the next French CAM wunderkind emerges. They should've called up Michael Olise, he's been better for his club than Dembele, Thuram, and Kolo Muani.

Last edited:
Pogba is a big miss for France, he and Mbappe had a great chemistry when playing together (as Mbappe himself alluded to).

In addition, now that everyone realizes how strong France's team has been the past couple of years, they are never going to give Mbappe the space he used to thrive on on the counter. In this regard Deschamps is not the best fit for the French team anymore. They need someone a lot more progressive.

Under Ancelotti, he'll no doubt show a much better version of himself than this tournament.

Mbappe, like many others at these Euros is simply knackered, not 100% fit and suffering from a long season.

Kane, Foden, Bellingham, Kyle Walker - all look spent in our team too.

That's evident and anyone who argues otherwise isn't being truthful.

He could eclipse CR7 depending on how he does in Madrid considering how well Mbappe has played at the World Cup. But he doesn't have the innate talent to come close to Messi.
Not close to CR7 either.

Always felt he was a bit overrated.

Give me Bale at his best over Mbappe any day of the week.

Nah don't agree, Di Maria wasn't as good in 2010 and wasn't as good in 2014, wasn't as good in 2022.

I would say it's barely his fault at all, for example in 2022 he was brilliant against Real Madrid over two legs and then PSG crumbled in the space of 17 minutes with Donnaruma, Marquinhos and others making mistakes. Yes there is an onus on him to make things happen but PSG have had a terrible mentality that goes outside his control. It will be interesting to see how he does at Real Madrid now, which is the opposite.
But he’s part of PSG no? And they’ve had different squads through his time there. Some of the best players at this euros have been his PSG team mates (Ruiz, Vitinha, Mendes)
I’m sure he’ll win the CL at Real Madrid but there’s no doubt had he propelled PSG to that level his time there would have been remembered much more fondly whereas everyone views it as a waste of time more or less other than personal goalscoring records.

Amazing to think he hasn't scored from open play in two Euros tournaments, what's that 10 games?

All this talk of big game play, seems he's a bit Mbappen

Not close to CR7 either.
In the World Cup, he's 50 times the player CR7 has ever been. Career wise, he has a long way to go obviously, but it's not out of the question, because CR7 is not massively more talented IMO. I suspect he may be massively more driven, which is likely to be what separates them in the end. But Mbappe is still gonna have a great career.

In the World Cup, he's 50 times the player CR7 has ever been. Career wise, he has a long way to go obviously, but it's not out of the question, because CR7 is not massively more talented IMO. I suspect he may be massively more driven, which is likely to be what separates them in the end. But Mbappe is still gonna have a great career.

World Cup isn't the upper echelon in world football when it comes to measuring performances. Pogba was fantastic in the World Cup, but for United he wasn't particularly great. Amrabat was great for Morocco, as was James Rodriguez, William Carvalho, Golovin, Kleberson etc. It doesn't mean much, because the World Cup is only a few matches. Ronaldo has been world class in Premier League, La Liga and Serie A, whereas Mbappé has only shown it in a dominant PSG side against the mighty Reims and Strasbourg. He will have had a great career, no doubt, but there is absolutely zero chance he will surpass Cristiano Ronaldo.

He looks like a guy who's been stat padding against inferior opposition for the last 6 years and hasn't improved or even gone backwards as a result. In the Euro's and in the CL as well. La Liga is full of dross these days as well of course, outside of the top 2.

Can people please provide me with an argument as to why this guy is considered world-class outside the WC which is every 4 years and below club football, and tearing up a mediocre league? People rate Mbappe based on what they think he might do rather than what he does. If he was world class he would have dragged PSG to a CL. The only time he's been to a CL final is when Neymar was carrying the team.

A new challenge might be exactly what he needs to push on. People should not be comparing him to Ronaldo, that's disgusting and completely out of touch.

World Cup isn't the upper echelon in world football when it comes to measuring performances. Pogba was fantastic in the World Cup, but for United he wasn't particularly great. Amrabat was great for Morocco, as was James Rodriguez, William Carvalho, Golovin, Kleberson etc. It doesn't mean much, because the World Cup is only a few matches. Ronaldo has been world class in Premier League, La Liga and Serie A, whereas Mbappé has only shown it in a dominant PSG side against the mighty Reims and Strasbourg. He will have had a great career, no doubt, but there is absolutely zero chance he will surpass Cristiano Ronaldo.
Mbappe will win a Balon D'or at Real no matter his contribution because of PR, I can see it now.

Some ridiculous ott reactions in this thread. He will bang then in routinely once he’s playing for Madrid. He was injured for most of the tournament and playing in a defensive system where no French attacker or even midfielder looked particularly good (Kante aside).
He's supposed to be world-class, you didn't even notice him through the tournament and he's surrounded by quality. Dembele looked good on the other side, there is no excuse.

He is. World Cup and Euro Cups are never the standard. It is a huge accolade but season in and out, Mbappe doesn't come close apart from his speed.

Ronaldo is a lot better at literally everything else.

He'll look like a superstar again once he starts banging them in against the mighty Valladolid, Leganes and Rayo Vallecano in part 2 of his farmer league career.

Ronaldo has been a big disappointment both at Euros and World Cup, the biggest sporting event of all time, despite playing in 11 different editions, more than anyone else with miserable 3 goals in 21 knockout games. You cannot get away with shitting the bed that consistently despite participating in more tourneys than anyone else for 20 years. He is not even close to Stoichkov or Suker in terms of NT legacy in the biggest stages among European players let alone players like Mbappe, Van Basten, Platini, Muller, Modric, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Matthaus etc. Not even a top-20 European player with the NT.

Nobody buys "but but NT tourneys are not important for performance evaluation" BS. If that's so easy to perform, surely the UCL king Ronaldo would find a way to score more than miserable 3 goals in 20 years in major tournament knockouts. He had more chances than anyone else to show up. If anything, he was exposed big time when not surrounded by other superstars in super-teams. WC and Euros are the dreams for almost every top player to the extent many would exchange their couple of UCLs for a World Cup. Not surprisingly, it was Ronaldo's biggest dream as well.

The greatest perform both at the club and NT level in big tourneys. I'd say Eusebio's legacy with Portugal in a single WC eclipses whatever Ronaldo did in 5 WCs + 6 Euros. Statpadding against minnows in mighty Euro qualifiers and then ghosting when it matters most is a big flaw.

Mbappe is already a WC icon, the biggest sport event of all time. If he wins couple of UCLs as the main man at Real and maybe a Euro, he'll be considered above Ronaldo.

Last edited:
He is not even close to Stoichkov or Suker in terms of NT legacy in the biggest stages among European players let alone players like Mbappe, Van Basten, Platini, Muller, Modric, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Matthaus etc. Not even a top-20 European player with the NT.

He has a big NT legacy by virtue of having won the Euros. Performances should have been better but the title win will help paper over that.

He looked completely disinterested throughout the whole tournament. Every player goes through bad spells, and Mbappe is no different. I predict he'll be back to his best next season for Madrid.

Ruined his development by going to PSG. Very overhyped player who should have moved to the PL after Monaco. Mane for example was 10x the player Mbappe has ever been.

He looks like a guy who's been stat padding against inferior opposition for the last 6 years and hasn't improved or even gone backwards as a result. In the Euro's and in the CL as well. La Liga is full of dross these days as well of course, outside of the top 2.

This is exactly what he'll be doing in Spain for the next 5, 6 years. The unbalance that PSG has over Ligue 1 is identical to what (gap is even wider according to ELO ratings) Madrid has over La Liga. It's an extremely unbalanced competition which allows for some serious stat padding and Ballon d'Or campaigning. It's also free of absolutely any scrutiny cause there's another "PSG" in there (Barca and their infinite levers) and another club that basically has a Europa League fetish (Sevilla), just to insure endless supplies of coefficient and therefore arguments in the neverending "My league is better than yours" squabble.

Mbappe will not be tested week in and week out in Spain. For any semblance of that he'd have had to move to England. At Madrid he'll have the Barca games and the Atleti home game. He will however have in general just a lot more prestigious spotlight, having finally left the "farmers league" behind. He'll swap that reputation with being at mercy of the moody RM crowd and the added pressure of having more people do the counting of his hits and misses.

As for the player himself, having watched probably over 95% of his PSG matches, this dude is really not the generational player some still deem him to be. He lost that spark from his Monaco days probably in his 2nd year at Paris. Too often he disappeared in big CL games and was generally a handicap to team balance with how little backtracking he did. For all his time spent at Paris, I can say he was reasonably efficient. The only thing he's definitely polished in his time there was his shot technique and his ego. From every bit of media and coverage I caught of him at PSG, dude gave of a certifed c*nt vibe, which is why I'm glad he went where he went.

Who isn’t overrated at this point? According to some of you all the best players in the world are overrated or not that good. In two years the people drooling over Yamal, Musiala, and whoever else is the next best thing will be telling us how they are also overrated.

Maybe just maybe top level football is extremely difficult and no one just dominates every competition.

But he’s part of PSG no? And they’ve had different squads through his time there. Some of the best players at this euros have been his PSG team mates (Ruiz, Vitinha, Mendes)
I’m sure he’ll win the CL at Real Madrid but there’s no doubt had he propelled PSG to that level his time there would have been remembered much more fondly whereas everyone views it as a waste of time more or less other than personal goalscoring records.

He has won 5-6 Ligue 1 player of the years, probably the greatest player in the league’s history, hardly a waste of time!

He has a big NT legacy by virtue of having won the Euros. Performances should have been better but the title win will help paper over that.
I agree with you and this is a bit scary as he did very little in the tournament to win the title. He lives off his volume in terms of his NT career due to his longevity. But if you look specifically at who he's scored against, it is indeed a bit frightening. Sure, others play and score against Faroer et al, but they don't claim to be the greatest of all time either. And the true NT greats have WC and EC campaigns that reflect their claim. His performance in KO games is simply shocking.