Kurt Zouma / 180 hours community service + banned from keeping cats for 5 years

Yes there is. It’s rude, racist and dismissive of their actual, factual citizenship.

Just as there’s something very wrong with you trying to tell other people how they should feel about their lived experience - vs your daft, ignorant opinion of how they should feel.

You try telling someone who’s been born in England, to English parents, spent their entire life living and working and paying taxes as an English citizen that that ‘isn’t where they’re from originally’, and quite rightly you’ll be told to get fecked.

Do it enough or to the wrong person and you’ll probably end up getting a smack.

It’s that kind of attitude that equals the fat, thick, repulsive ‘ingurland’ slobs who abuse Rashford, Saka etc into thinking that they’re ‘more British’ than them - or that the black players are somehow not REALLY apart of the England team.

Try asking Rashford ‘where are you from originally?’ if you ever meet him.
Is this not allowed in America for example where the majority of people’s families have immigrated within a few generations? How should one ask to determine original country of origin of someone’s lineage? I don’t think asking such is racist per se.

Is ‘where is your family originally from?’ acceptable?

Yes there is. It’s rude, racist and dismissive of their actual, factual citizenship.

Just as there’s something very wrong with you trying to tell other people how they should feel about their lived experience - vs your daft, ignorant opinion of how they should feel.

You try telling someone who’s been born in England, to English parents, spent their entire life living and working and paying taxes as an English citizen that that ‘isn’t where they’re from originally’, and quite rightly you’ll be told to get fecked.

Do it enough or to the wrong person and you’ll probably end up getting a smack.

It’s that kind of attitude that equals the fat, thick, repulsive ‘ingurland’ slobs who abuse Rashford, Saka etc into thinking that they’re ‘more British’ than them - or that the black players are somehow not REALLY apart of the England team.

Try asking Rashford ‘where are you from originally?’ if you ever meet him.

Actually on the contrary, your attitude is the dismissive one, dismissive of their ethnic heritage which perhaps you assume they just want to be whitewashed and replaced with British. People are born in the UK for various reasons, and believe it or not, a British passport isn’t enough for them to surrender what they consider to be their identity from their home countries.

And I’m almost certain that Marcus Rashford would tell me exactly where he was from ‘originally/ethnically’ if I asked him. Maybe not if you asked him, but I’m sure if I did he would. There are countless people born in the UK who embrace their heritage and traditional cultures and want to preserve them. You would struggle to find many British-born Turkish people (or just ‘British people’ by your definition) who cannot speak Turkish, for example. And I’m assuming that you do not speak Turkish. They don’t speak it because it is a British thing to do, they speak it because it is a Turkish thing to do and they are proud and embracing of their heritage.

Thankfully this isn’t the United States where most black folk can only identify as African American and need to go to ancestry.com to find out where they come from (before they were famously displaced and rebranded). I think most non-whites in this country embrace where they originate from, and perhaps only get defensive if a white person asked then where they are from. I am over 30 and am almost never told ‘England’ when I ask non-white person where they are from.

Actually on the contrary, your attitude is the dismissive one, dismissive of their ethnic heritage which perhaps you assume they just want to be whitewashed and replaced with British. People are born in the UK for various reasons, and believe it or not, a British passport isn’t enough for them to surrender what they consider to be their identity from their home countries.

And I’m almost certain that Marcus Rashford would tell me exactly where he was from ‘originally/ethnically’ if I asked him. Maybe not if you asked him, but I’m sure if I did he would. There are countless people born in the UK who embrace their heritage and traditional cultures and want to preserve them. You would struggle to find many British-born Turkish people (or just ‘British people’ by your definition) who cannot speak Turkish, for example. And I’m assuming that you do not speak Turkish. They don’t speak it because it is a British thing to do, they speak it because it is a Turkish thing to do and they are proud and embracing of their heritage.

Thankfully this isn’t the United States where most black folk can only identify as African American and need to go to ancestry.com to find out where they come from (before they were famously displaced and rebranded). I think most non-whites in this country embrace where they originate from, and perhaps only get defensive if a white person asked then where they are from. I am over 30 and am almost never told ‘England’ when I ask non-white person where they are from.

Wow, ok.

What do think Marcus Rashford would answer when you asked him, ‘where are you from originally?’, out of interest? Genuine question.

Do you think he’d answer where his Grandmother came from, rather than where HE’S from…? If so, where does the line stop? Like, will Rashford’s children also have to identify as being from where their Great-Grandmother came from? How about their children?

At what point is someone ‘originally from’ the place they were conceived and born and raised?

Likewise do you ask every white Brit where they’re ‘from originally’, or in their case is a British city a satisfactory reply? I mean, many white people have Grandparents and Great Grandparents who emigrated also.

I’m asking since you’re clearly the person who gets to decide all this stuff - so I’m interested to know how it works.

Likewise should you ever wonder how it is for the people you’re speaking for, here’s a few links of interest…

14 Micro-aggressions that are actually offensive (number 6)

CNN - No Where Are You REALLY From?

Reader’s Digest - Stop asking PoC where they’re from

Last edited:
I think people are conflating someone saying to a random, without prompting "where you from mate?!", with "where is your culture /surname/cuisine from" to an acquaintance. The first is rude, the second a friendly enquiry.

Edit : originally is rude because you're combining the individual with the culture/nation. And how far back do you go for originally? Your parents last country, where they were born, where their grandparents were born? Africa? The primordial soup?

Wow, ok.

What do think Marcus Rashford would answer when you asked him, ‘where are you from originally?’, out of interest? Genuine question.

Do you think he’d answer where his Grandmother came from, rather than where HE’S from…? If so, where does the line stop? Like, will Rashford’s children also have to identify as being from where their Great-Grandmother came from? How about their children?

At what point is someone ‘originally from’ the place they were conceived and born and raised?

Likewise do you ask every white Brit where they’re ‘from originally’, or in their case is a British city a satisfactory reply? I mean, many white people have Grandparents and Great Grandparents who emigrated also.

I’m asking since you’re clearly the person who gets to decide all this stuff - so I’m interested to know how it works.

Likewise should you ever wonder how it is for the people you’re speaking for, here’s a few links of interest…

I expect him to say St.Kitts if I asked him where he was from. I expect him to say England (and maybe be offended by the question) if you asked him, assuming you are white British.

And I don’t need to use Google to find out how the people I’m speaking for feel, given that I am the people I am speaking for, and surround myself with them almost every hour of every day and have done my whole life.

I expect him to say St.Kitts if I asked him where he was from. I expect him to say England (and maybe be offended by the question) if you asked him, assuming you are white British.

And I don’t need to use Google to find out how the people I’m speaking for feel, given that I am the people I am speaking for, and surround myself with them almost every hour of every day and have done my whole life.

Yikes. Your assumption of me is very wrong.

I’m also very confident that Rashford wouldn’t answer St Kitts if you (or anyone) asked him ‘where are you from?’.

Also, how can you ‘be the people you’re speaking for’, when those people find such questions and attitudes offensive and rude?

Like, if everyone agrees with you - how do such people even exist?

Wow, ok.

The first link doesn’t work. Now how are we going to learn about the 14 micro-aggressions that are actually offensive but probably aren’t really at all?!

Was anyone saying either of those guys should be banned for life or jailed? I can't remember the Alli one, but the whole Cavani thing was talked about so much because the FA got it wrong, it was neither a case of abuse and it had nothing to do with football. Its the extreme level of vitriol that those who've been racially abused and seen no outcry that are flummoxed.

I bought up the Griezmann Dembele video earlier, that was racism, done on social media, mainly by a black guy, but supported by a white guy with a history of blackface, both were £100mn+ players and there's been nothing like the talk about it. Even on here, where both have been touted as potential signings. I don't care the colour of the abusive person and I don't care about the race (or species) of the victim, I care about the frequency of this publicised abuse and I think punishment should be set accordingly.

Racism is prevalent in football and wider society, animal abuse in wider society only, ergo both football and wider society should be clamping down on racism (which they haven't) and wider society should be clamping down on animal abuse, in which they unfortunately have expertise.

And fir anyone thinking that the cat would have been listened to "if it could speak", people of colour have been speaking for years, to no avail. If you don't believe me, ask @The Cat... (sorry mate, I couldn't help it!)
Was anyone saying either of those guys should be banned for life or jailed? I can't remember the Alli one, but the whole Cavani thing was talked about so much because the FA got it wrong, it was neither a case of abuse and it had nothing to do with football. Its the extreme level of vitriol that those who've been racially abused and seen no outcry that are flummoxed.

I bought up the Griezmann Dembele video earlier, that was racism, done on social media, mainly by a black guy, but supported by a white guy with a history of blackface, both were £100mn+ players and there's been nothing like the talk about it. Even on here, where both have been touted as potential signings. I don't care the colour of the abusive person and I don't care about the race (or species) of the victim, I care about the frequency of this publicised abuse and I think punishment should be set accordingly.

Racism is prevalent in football and wider society, animal abuse in wider society only, ergo both football and wider society should be clamping down on racism (which they haven't) and wider society should be clamping down on animal abuse, in which they unfortunately have expertise.

And fir anyone thinking that the cat would have been listened to "if it could speak", people of colour have been speaking for years, to no avail. If you don't believe me, ask @The Cat... (sorry mate, I couldn't help it!)
Yeah to be honest I don't remember any calls for that, but I'm not 100% sure. The Cavani one is probably different enough to explain why, I guess the Alli one is a closer to the Zouma incident in the sense that they were both on video with their inappropriate behaviour.

Was there much backlash to Dembele and Griezmann in France or Spain? I know Griezmann lost a Konami deal.

Agree with the bottom part, yeah.

I’m also very confident that Rashford wouldn’t answer St Kitts if you (or anyone) asked him ‘where are you from?’.

Also, how can you ‘be the people you’re speaking for’, when those people find such questions and attitudes offensive and rude?

They find the question rude depending on who is asking, because different people ask for different reasons and with different motivations.

And I can be the people I am speaking of simply because I am. And I have never been offended at being asked what country I am from in the UK by another black person, for example, and they haven’t been offended when I have asked them. Why on earth would we be offended? We all know that we’re in England, we can tell as soon as we open our mouths that we were certainly raised here if not born here. But we are also all well aware and proud of where we come from.

If Marcus Rashford grew up predominantly around black kids, I am confident that he wouldn’t have been telling them he’s English, and they wouldn’t be telling him the same either. There’s a time/place to be English, and time/place to identify with your ethnical country. In the UK many of these groups have friendly banter with each other, Nigerians always taking the piss out of Ghanaians and Jamaicans and vice versa, for example - or Indians and Pakistanis doing the same. Perhaps we all just need Mr Smith to come and tell us to stop our bickering and give our heads a wobble, we are all English.

We can all identify on a generic British level, but people who look like each other regularly ask the question, and if they both answer that they are Ghanaian, for example, there is a whole other frequency at which they can relate and identify with. Believe it or not, most are very proud of their heritage and don’t want to be generalised or amalgamated. They are though, also very protective of their right to be referred to as British when it appears their legitimacy or entitlement is being called into question.

I can almost guarantee that if I started speaking Yoruba around Bukayo Saka and then said, ‘oh sorry, let me speak English’ his response would be ‘you know I’m Nigerian right?’

Got to be honest, it’s really disappointing this thread and the horrendous incident we are discussing has had racism put into it. Chris Kirkland is a shite scouse keeper and a fecking nobody. His click bait bollocks (which is probably just him being thick) has turned a horrific incident into a debate about a horrific status set over hundreds (ney thousands) of years. Of course animal cruelty isn’t as bad as racism, but rarely do we see incidents of racism as outward, obvious and impacting as what we saw on screen during this video; all with his young child witnessing and taking part (can’t remember if he did, watched it once and don’t want to see it again).

Clearly if we had one incident of a helpless person of another race, one tenth the size of another being kicked around a room, it would not be comparable. Sentient beings as they are, cats are not humans.
As I said earlier, this is an horrific example of animal cruelty, but to say it’s as bad as racism is just fecking idiotic, unless you’re going to persuade yourself that some elements of ‘racism’ are pretty minor and are just words that don’t hurt; this conveniently ignores the centuries of hate, lynchings, corruption, exploration and violence which has preceded the minor act which Chris is perhaps comparing this too. The feckwit.

Last edited:
They find the question rude depending on who is asking, because different people ask for different reasons and with different motivations.

And I can be the people I am speaking of simply because I am. And I have never been offended at being asked what country I am from in the UK by another black person, for example, and they haven’t been offended when I have asked them. Why on earth would we be offended? We all know that we’re in England, we can tell as soon as we open our mouths that we were certainly raised here if not born here. But we are also all well aware and proud of where we come from.

If Marcus Rashford grew up predominantly around black kids, I am confident that he wouldn’t have been telling them he’s English, and they wouldn’t be telling him the same either. There’s a time/place to be English, and time/place to identify with your ethnical country. In the UK many of these groups have friendly banter with each other, Nigerians always taking the piss out of Ghanaians and Jamaicans and vice versa, for example - or Indians and Pakistanis doing the same. Perhaps we all just need Mr Smith to come and tell us to stop our bickering and give our heads a wobble, we are all English.

We can all identify on a generic British level, but people who look like each other regularly ask the question, and if they both answer that they are Ghanaian, for example, there is a whole other frequency at which they can relate and identify with. Believe it or not, most are very proud of their heritage and don’t want to be generalised or amalgamated. They are though, also very protective of their right to be referred to as British when it appears their legitimacy or entitlement is being called into question.

I can almost guarantee that if I started speaking Yoruba around Bukayo Saka and then said, ‘oh sorry, let me speak English’ his response would be ‘you know I’m Nigerian right?’

So you’re aware - what we’re talking about is being asked, ‘where are you from?’, answering a British city, or ‘England’ AND THEN BEING ASKED, ‘yeah but originally?’.

I.E rejecting the person’s answer and insisting there is an ‘other’ answer.

Member when this thread was about happier things, like little fluffy animals getting twatted? :(

So you’re aware - what we’re talking about is being asked, ‘where are you from?’, answering a British city, or ‘England’ AND THEN BEING ASKED, ‘yeah but originally?’.

Same difference. Only that if I asked the question to Rashford or Saka, their first answer is unlike to be ‘England’ in the first place. As I said, the question is asked for different reasons by different people and contexts. Saka and I are both London born. Rashford is from the north and speaks differently. If I asked him where he was from, his answer might well be ‘Manchester’. In fact, it most likely would be. Saka’s would probably be ‘didn’t you hear my name?!’.

And there IS an ‘other’ answer. The offence comes because, depending on who is asking, there is an immediate suspicion as to what your agenda is and what you are getting at. If a white British person did not accept my ‘England’ answer, I may likely get defensive and say something like ‘what do you mean, I already told you - ‘England’?’ Although depending on the context, if I didn’t sense any ill will, it wouldn’t even come to that and I’d just say Nigeria the first time, because I’m thinking he/she obviously knows I am British, they want to know what my background is, which they may want to know for a totally innocent reason.

But rest assured, whatever they tell you or say publicly, they all know what the answer is to the ‘other’ question, and in contexts they are comfortable in, identify as that. It depends on who is asking as that will give an indication as to the sincerity of the question.

You come across as one of those people who want to find a reason to take offense. I mean, asking a person where they are originally from is a perfectly fine and innocent question, it's something I've asked before on more than one occasion. When did asking questions with the intent of gaining knowledge to better understand and know a person become inappropriate?

But rest assured, whatever they tell you or say publicly, they all know what the answer is to the ‘other’ question, and in contexts they are comfortable in, identify as that. It depends on who is asking as that will give an indication as to the sincerity of the question.

Nah, you’re again speaking for people you’ve got no right to speak for.

Someone born in England with 1 white parent, 1 black, both parents born in Britain, 1 set of Grandparents foreign, the other British (there are lots of people who fit this description) has every right to identity solely as British - and you’re in no position to putting some ‘otherness’ upon them.

Why should they be forced to identify with one set of grandparents of your choosing? It’s ludicrous and has its roots in viewing white as ‘pure’ and anything else as a perversion.

You come across as one of those people who want to find a reason to take offense. I mean, asking a person where they are originally from is a perfectly fine and innocent question, it's something I've asked before on more than one occasion. When did asking questions with the intent of gaining knowledge to better understand and know a person become inappropriate?

Nope, I’m saying to respect someone’s first answer when you feel the obviously overwhelming desire to ask them ‘where are you from?’, and not to follow it up with ‘yeah but originally?’.

If that’s difficult for you to grasp as offensive you carry on mate.

Nah, you’re again speaking for people you’ve got no right to speak for.

Someone born in England with 1 white parent, 1 black, both parents born in Britain, 1 set of Grandparents foreign, the other British (there are lots of people who fit this description) has every right to identity solely as British - and you’re in no position to putting some ‘otherness’ upon them.

Why should they be forced to identify with one set of grandparents of your choosing? It’s ludicrous and has its roots in viewing white as ‘pure’ and anything else as a perversion.

I’m just going to have to repeat. And how people ‘identify’ largely depends on the who’s asking. They can identify as whatever they want. They have the right to tell Mr Smith that they are British, and then turn around and tell me that they are half English, half Grenadian. The latter is the response that I have gotten my entire life, while I suspect Mr Smith has gotten the former. He is not ‘forced’ to identify to Mr Smith in the same way he identified to me, he has a choice. But I am the one that is giving him that choice, you are the one basically saying he doesn’t have one, the answer is simply British.

And I’m not sure of your insistence that I have no right to speak for these people, yet apparently you do, based on some internet article or whatever.

I’ve read through most of this thread now, and I sincerely do not understand the relevance of Kurt Zouma’s ethnicity has to do with what he is being accused of, nor how the story has been portrayed in the media.

I’m just going to have to repeat. And how people ‘identify’ largely depends on the who’s asking. They can identify as whatever they want. They have the right to tell Mr Smith that they are British, and then turn around and tell me that they are half English, half Grenadian. The latter is the response that I have gotten my entire life, while I suspect Mr Smith has gotten the former. He is not ‘forced’ to identify to Mr Smith in the same way he identified to me, he has a choice. But I am the one that is giving him that choice, you are the one basically saying he doesn’t have one, the answer is simply British.

And I’m not sure of your insistence that I have no right to speak for these people, yet apparently you do, based on some internet article or whatever.

I think the thing you’re having trouble grasping is that I’m not denying your right to not be offended by some knobhead asking ‘yeah but originally’ in reply to you saying you’re ‘from England, that’s fine by me for you to feel however you want about it.

But you are trying to deny the legitimacy of the many non-white Brits who identify simply as British and find it offensive to have it insisted that they’re ‘from somewhere else’. You’re speaking for them / us through your lens of identifying with your specific family history which is obviously very different to millions of others.

I can’t really make it anymore simple than that. Let’s leave it there since this is a thread about Zouma and the fallout of his actions and it’s being derailed here.

Feel free to start a relevant thread if you wanna continue on this or PM me - same goes for anyone that wants to discuss it properly.

Yeah to be honest I don't remember any calls for that, but I'm not 100% sure. The Cavani one is probably different enough to explain why, I guess the Alli one is a closer to the Zouma incident in the sense that they were both on video with their inappropriate behaviour.

Was there much backlash to Dembele and Griezmann in France or Spain? I know Griezmann lost a Konami deal.

Agree with the bottom part, yeah.
There were calls for it earlier in this thread. Again, I don't know the Alli one, but the Cavani one isn't relevant.

The backlash to the Griezmann Dembele one isn't enough, as there have been lots of shouts for united to buy them.

It was Chris Kirkland who did that, Antonio replied.
Exactly. Quite telling for whom the faux outrage kicks in.
Thank you. I was banned for that but whatever. Redcafe is not the place for critical thinking.

My point was very clear, zouma deserves what he is getting but how come when Suarez, greizmann over blackface which is racism who wasn’t even dropped from the national team but zouma is going to be didn’t get this sort of punishment? Its a legit question to ask adidas and the these corporations? What message does it send out to black people? There are so many other examples I’ve left out.

People being very dismissive as usual when it comes to matters of racism. Some even being obtuse saying animal cruelty has nothing to do with racism which is true but mackierobinson has carefully pointed out the connection for why we are bringing it up. Last comment I will make on this matter because I really don’t have the energy.
Good to see the ban was short lived, don’t see how it was moderated to begin with. Went the same way every other thread with the word in goes so you haven’t missed much.

I don’t think they are rejecting the answer, but this question has at least two or three meanings. Where you were born, where you grew up and where your parents or granparents are from. If I met someone in London who is white but has a different accent, I would ask where he/she is from originally just out of curiosity. If I meet a black guy I don’t think I would dare to ask because I don’t wanna be called a racist, but it’s very said that we can’t commuticate the same way with everyone, we have to check the colour first.

I don’t think they are rejecting the answer, but this question has at least two or three meanings. Where you were born, where you grew up and where your parents or granparents are from. If I met someone in London who is white but has a different accent, I would ask where he/she is from originally just out of curiosity. If I meet a black guy I don’t think I would dare to ask because I don’t wanna be called a racist, but it’s very said that we can’t commuticate the same way with everyone, we have to check the colour first.
Why don't you just ask either where his accent from? It's not hard to be specific about the individual.

It's a weird one. A part of me would like to see him face a jail sentence but then the suffering farm animals, particularly pigs and chickens endure on a daily basis just so we can have some nomnoms makes what he did pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. We just think cats are family so we care more about one cat being abused but then turn a blind eye to the horrors of farming

This is like saying we can’t punish anyone kicking their pet dog or cat because the world eats meat.

How ridiculous.

There’s nothing wrong with being foreign - if you are.

There’s something VERY wrong with asking people who’ve been born in England, likely to English parents, where they’re ‘originally from’.

My question for you is this - do you view non-white Brits as British? And do you view them as being from Britain?

Are non-white Brits British? If they have a British passport and identify as British, of course.

But why is there a problem asking someone where they're originally from or what their background is?

The only issue is that you perceive (or you believe others perceive) that being identified as "British" is better.

Who cares? If you're British, have the passport and are entitled to live there, then (unless you are being actively persecuted or discriminated against) who cares what other people think?

I'm not British and don't live there so I'm sure the reality of living in the country adds a stigma to being "foreign" that I will never experience. But if nothing else, it's really sad that such a multi cultural country has people actively avoiding telling people what their background is.

If being British means you need to be ashamed of your background or ancestry then is being identified as "British" a positive thing?

I think a big part of the issue is that white immigrants (or more accurately, their kids) are not asked that question. If you're Polish or French or Swedish, people won't generally ask where you're really really from, especially if you have a name that could just be British.

Black, South and East Asian and Arab Brits don't have that luxury. They always get marked out, always get asked 'where are you really from'.

Some black brits nave been here though for 3 generations or more. They literally are just British and that's it.

By itself, it doesn't sound that bad (and is almost actually never meant maliciously imo). It's just a moment when those of colour are reminded that they're not 'really' British. On top of the racism they often still experience, both explicit and implicit, it has an impact.

I think the better way to ask the question (which I agree is fundamentally an interesting one) is what are your family origins?

Back on topic, Zouma is a twat.

Are non-white Brits British? If they have a British passport and identify as British, of course.

But why is there a problem asking someone where they're originally from or what their background is?

The only issue is that you perceive (or you believe others perceive) that being identified as "British" is better.

Who cares? If you're British, have the passport and are entitled to live there, then (unless you are being actively persecuted or discriminated against) who cares what other people think?

I'm not British and don't live there so I'm sure the reality of living in the country adds a stigma to being "foreign" that I will never experience. But if nothing else, it's really sad that such a multi cultural country has people actively avoiding telling people what their background is.

If being British means you need to be ashamed of your background or ancestry then is being identified as "British" a positive thing?
I think a big part of the issue is that white immigrants (or more accurately, their kids) are not asked that question. If you're Polish or French or Swedish, people won't generally ask where you're really really from, especially if you have a name that could just be British.

Black, South and East Asian and Arab Brits don't have that luxury. They always get marked out, always get asked 'where are you really from'.

Some black brits nave been here though for 3 generations or more. They literally are just British and that's it.

By itself, it doesn't sound that bad (and is almost actually never meant maliciously imo). It's just a moment when those of colour are reminded that they're not 'really' British. On top of the racism they often still experience, both explicit and implicit, it has an impact.

I think the better way to ask the question (which I agree is fundamentally an interesting one) is what are your family origins?

The English language is a wonderful thing. The same words can be asked in different ways and they imply very different intentions.

If you know someone, at least for a short while, asking "where did your parents grow up", "where does your surname originate from", or some other specific question that is being asked as a genuine enquiry about the person as an individual, will be taken as interest in the individual.

However, if you ask the question in a more generic way, "where are you from", "where do you originally come from", and the only information that you are basing your knowledge of a difference in ancestry on is the colour of someone's skin, you instantly reduce the person to less than an individual and more as a clone of a culture or race. If you know someone more than that, these vaguer questions are in the grey area.

If you ask the question as a follow up because the first answer was England, British or a British town or region, you've discounted that first answer as unbelievable, wiping out the individuals personal history, and reducing them to the history of your perception of race or culture.

Obviously, tonality makes a massive difference too, "intelligent" racists are much more likely to pose their racism as a question, so rather than othering the individual, the racist asks a question that causes the individual to other themselves. It gives deniability to the racist by making the racism vague enough that a semi interested observer wouldn't perceive the intent behind the question.

People of colour get asked these questions from a very young age, both genuinely and malicious, and so by the time you're talking to them, they're probably hyper sensitive to questions in this area, and have spent years deciphering the intent behind vague questions.

If you are genuinely interested in them that you want to understand the influences that made them the unique person they are, take the time to formulate a question that respects them as an individual, rather than blurting out a vague, generic question that others and stereotypes them.

That's literally the opening scene in Romper Stomper, when the neo-Nazis stop that Asian-looking kid on a bike.

Its quite interesting where this is all going and Im expecting a lot more ‘disclosures’ to come out about footballers for all kinds of stuff. The moral compass has shifted towards them and the media is going to have a field day. We are going to see both ends of the pendulum as the floodgates open.

I must admit that as fans we at times apply a different set of standards to others than we apply to ourselves. We speak about animal cruelty yet 75,000 often sing that Park chant. We talk about Racism yet we stereotypically sang about the size of Roms manhood. There are many other aspects of fan culture that are equally xenophobic yet these seem to be ok for many too. We don’t condone violence against animals yet we sing about violence towards other fans. We even post abusive and quite disgusting things about our players.

Maybe it’s just banter but the sentiment and potential impact is the same. The hypocrisy of fans is really funny at times.

Its quite interesting where this is all going and Im expecting a lot more ‘disclosures’ to come out about footballers for all kinds of stuff. The moral compass has shifted towards them and the media is going to have a field day. We are going to see both ends of the pendulum as the floodgates open.

I must admit that as fans we at times apply a different set of standards to others than we apply to ourselves. We speak about animal cruelty yet 75,000 often sing that Park chant. We talk about Racism yet we stereotypically sang about the size of Roms manhood. There are many other aspects of fan culture that are equally xenophobic yet these seem to be ok for many too. We don’t condone violence against animals yet we sing about violence towards other fans. We even post abusive and quite disgusting things about our players.

Maybe it’s just banter but the sentiment and potential impact is the same. The hypocrisy of fans is really funny at times.
I don't like how you're assimilating those who make those chants about Park and Rom with the ones who criticize animal cruelty and who are against racism. The Utd fan doesn't come in one shade