Kurt Zouma / 180 hours community service + banned from keeping cats for 5 years

Terry and Suarez are hated by masses of football fans so I don’t really get how they didn’t receive a backlash. Maguire got into a fight on holiday and people called for him to be axed from England. Alonso wasn’t in England during his horrendous incident but still gets chants from the stand. Zouma slapped and threw a family pet across the room in front of his kid, he’s getting shit for it and rightly so. People in the UK like their pets.
I'm talking about actual punishment, such as fines and losing sponsorships not the overall opinion of the general population.

There's a few people making claims in this thread that I would be wary of with the UK's libel laws.

People aren’t talking about Greenwood as much because there’s a lot more for the police to do, and until that happens we don’t actually know what we are dealing with.

We can all join the dots of claims of abuse by his (ex-)girlfriend, photos of large bruises, and an audio recording of a man (who sounds like Greenwood) threatening to rape a woman, but those dots need to be conclusively strung together by a court before judgement can happen.

If United played Greenwood after any of that evidence came into the public domain, people would rightly be aghast.

It has nothing to do with how much is being said and everything to do with the content of what was said, however little.

In the initial days, the utd player was very broadly condemned, at least going by comments here on this site. The outrage to Zouma's actions appears to be at a similar level of indignation.

The point, then, is that it doesn't make sense to be as outraged by alleged violent sexual assault as by kicking a cat -- bearing in mind too, that the cat does not appear to have been hurt so the kick wasn't particularly vicious as compared to allegedly leaving visible bruises on a young woman.

If you can accept this, then you can accept or at least see the argument that the reactions calling for jail time, sacking, etc, are over the top when this specific incident is viewed in comparison to other instances of bad behaviour.

Why did Antonio bring racism into the discussion at all? He asked the reporter if animal abuse was worse than racism, as if the answer is meant to be an obvious no. Is the answer an obvious no? Is being racist worse than abusing animals?

The world is a different place now. The Suarez incidents were over ten years ago. He would 100% have lost his sponsorships and would probably have been fired if they’d happened today.
Suarez had another biting incident around 5/6 years ago.

I'm talking about actual punishment, such as fines and losing sponsorships not the overall opinion of the general population.

I remember Terry facing problems with sponsors when he had his affair, Suarez lost his sponsor with a gambling firm after his biting, he also received a ban from playing.

Why did Antonio bring racism into the discussion at all? He asked the reporter if animal abuse was worse than racism, as if the answer is meant to be an obvious no. Is the answer an obvious no? Is being racist worse than abusing animals?
That's not what he said though, he was making more of a point to the reactions to both incidents.

But you're also ignoring actual punishments like being banned for games. Suarez got banned for 8 matches, but you only reference his smaller fine than Zouma. Cavani got banned for 3, but you only deem relevant that he didn't lose sponsorship, etc. It's selective punishments you're talking about. Not all of them.

I find it all extremely odd, my thought process was nearly *he’s suffered racism so it excuses him abusing his cat*.

That’s what I meant by “sticks and stones” - I’d rather be called a bad name than be kicked across the kitchen and punched. Ideally neither of course and then there’s the whole argument of whether animal lives are worth less than human, but our dog is definitely as much a part of the family as the rest of us!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/di...ay-break-my-bones-but-words-can-never-hurt-me

That's not what he said though, he was making more of a point to the reactions to both incidents.
Not sure there have been mass demonstrations on the street regarding Kurt Zouma kicking his cat. There have been widespread condemnation of any racism incidents.

Probably because he's been the victim of racist abuse many, many times and the press never gave a shit. Zouma kicks a cat and the same press goes mental. It must be incredibly frustrating to see the feigned outrage from the media.

Probably because he's been the victim of racist abuse many, many times and the press never gave a shit. Zouma kicks a cat and the same press goes mental. It must be incredibly frustrating to see the feigned outrage from the media.
Then surely the press need to change their attitudes.

Not sure there have been mass demonstrations on the street regarding Kurt Zouma kicking his cat. There have been widespread condemnation of any racism incidents.
He obviously sees it differently, and being a victim of racism himself I wouldn't be quick to dismiss his view.

Wow, what an OG by West Ham by not suspending him. Both sponsors said that they decided to cancel a deal after they saw shit WH's reaction about it.
Now domino effect will start probably. Other sponsors will be under pressure to quit too.

He obviously sees it differently, and being a victim of racism himself I wouldn't be quick to dismiss his view.
Then they have to bring more stringent punishments for racism. Social media companies have help fuel a lot of this. They should also be held culpable. A lot of punishments here are far too lenient.

That take from Antonio is embarrassingly stupid.

It's actually not.
Calls for Zouma to be sacked, he is someone who has been the victim of racist abuse, and he is pointing out the clear double standard.

Hes not saying what Zouma did isn't wrong, he is saying the reaction to what Zouma has done is far and above anything there has been for racism in football.

It is kind of ironic that we had a campaign against racism called Kick It Out, but those who committed it weren't kicked out. Go figure.

Then they have to bring more stringent punishments for racism. Social media companies have help fuel a lot of this. They should also be held culpable. A lot of punishments here are far too lenient.

Isn't that his point?

There have been calls for it :lol: :lol:
But he hasn't been, has he? So, again, I'm not sure of your point. You'll get every opinion under the sun on the internet...what matters is whats actually happened. And he's not banned.

What an odd thread, there's outrage about lack of outrage, and then there's outrage about excessive outrage.

Brilliant.

I'm fairly sure he's never been the victim of animal cruelty though, so how can he judge what's worse?

It's actually not.
Calls for Zouma to be sacked, he is someone who has been the victim of racist abuse, and he is pointing out the clear double standard.

Hes not saying what Zouma did isn't wrong, he is saying the reaction to what Zouma has done is far and above anything there has been for racism in football.
Football definitely needs to take a stronger stance on racism. It might actually have to come down to shutting a ground. The clubs would then do something about it. At the moment they just release statement after statement about not condoning racism. They are your fans weed them out.

I'm fairly sure he's never been the victim of animal cruelty though, so how can he judge what's worse?
How would a human be a victim of animal cruelty? Think before you post.

Wow, what an OG by West Ham by not suspending him. Both sponsors said that they decided to cancel a deal after they saw shit WH's reaction about it.
Now domino effect will start probably. Other sponsors will be under pressure to quit too.
Why don’t the FA step in and suspend him?