2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RuudTom83

Mainoo had to busy second half to the season so I'm fine with him only playing a bit part in the Euros.

The fewer United players in the England team the better. Just means the geniuses on social media have to pick a different victim for all the England hate.

romufc

Mainoo had to busy second half to the season so I'm fine with him only playing a bit part in the Euros.

The fewer United players in the England team the better. Just means the geniuses on social media have to pick a different victim for all the England hate.
Its not just social media, its so called "reputable" journalists too.

When you have journalists calling out a 19 year old in a friendly asking if he can play the 6 role, when firstly, it wasn;t his role, secondly, not seen any sort of articles about Rice after the last game.

RuudTom83

Its not just social media, its so called "reputable" journalists too.

When you have journalists calling out a 19 year old in a friendly asking if he can play the 6 role, when firstly, it wasn;t his role, secondly, not seen any sort of articles about Rice after the last game.
100% but hey are just doing their jobs apparently :rolleyes:

Football journalism and pundits have been unbearable for years, but they are worse not better.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
, I think what England needs right now is someone who can keep the ball and advances it either through dribbles or passes, and Mainoo excel in both. Right now with presses and cutting off England passing lanes, England players are clueless. Mainoo can break the press and find other angles to pass with his close control and dribbling ability in tight spaces. He's literally the perfect partner for Rice
I don't think Mainoo's passing is very good right now. He is certainly not in the class of passers when compared to like of Scholes, Fabregas, Kroos etc. What he excels at is keeping the ball under pressure, dribbling and moving it forward. His tracking back is also not at the very top level yet. I think he'll improve on those attributes and excel at them eventually as he grows and matures physically, and as he gains more experience. However, right now he is not the complete player that everyone imagines him to be.

I don't deny that he would be better than TAA or Gallagher in the English set-up. In fact, I think he is England's best central midfield player after Rice, but that doesn't mean he is the solution to all of England's woes. It would be setting him up for failure if that is the expectation.

LankyHoggie

Why is that comparison funny?
I can see the similarities between Mainoo and Dembele.
Dembele was a phenomenal midfielder, from what we’ve seen from Mainoo so far he has some of the qualities that a young Paul Scholes had with a knack for goals and the dribbling abilities of Dembele, that’s not a bad place to be.
Both were incredible technical players who were really difficult to dispossess.

If Mainoo could become a fitter version of Dembele, then we’re sorted.
Mainoo’s goal vs Wolves was classic Dembele, don’t need 50 sideways passes to find space, you create space on your own, this is peak football.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Spot on. He is a very special talent and quite frankly, I can't believe our academy uenearthed a player as technical as him. We typically value physical attributes (Speed, Strength, Height) over technical.
This hasn't actually been true for years.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The United fans on here actually trying to say Mainoo hype isn't valid is weird. Guy is a generational talent, the likes that we haven't had in a while since maybe Mason. If Mainoo was at some Italian or French club you'd all be hyping him up to the high heavens but I see a lot of folks already taking us having him for granted. Forget trying to lower expectations, he can live up to the high ones, his talent is clear and he's shown it on the highest stage. No one tempered Rooney's expectations so why Mainoo. He's the real deal and nothing so far shows he won't live up to the hype or even surpass it.
He's incredibly talented, but at this point in his career he has a tendency to drift through a lot of games without impacting them or getting on the ball enough. Perhaps not so much when he's playing as the deepest midfielder, but when playing higher up games can often pass him by. That more than anything else is what I hope to see him improve over the next couple of seasons. But for now it's the reason why I can understand Southgate not being completely sold on him, but at the same time that doesn't excuse how bad Southgate is fumbling his decisions.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I don't think Mainoo's passing is very good right now. He is certainly not in the class of passers when compared to like of Scholes, Fabregas, Kroos etc. What he excels at is keeping the ball under pressure, dribbling and moving it forward. His tracking back is also not at the very top level yet. I think he'll improve on those attributes and excel at them eventually as he grows and matures physically, and as he gains more experience. However, right now he is not the complete player that everyone imagines him to be.

I don't deny that he would be better than TAA or Gallagher in the English set-up. In fact, I think he is England's best central midfield player after Rice, but that doesn't mean he is the solution to all of England's woes. It would be setting him up for failure if that is the expectation.
There is a huge gulf between "not yet very good", and "some of the best passing midfielders ever".

I don't think there is anything wrong with his passing. It seems to have suddenly become a huge weakness and liability of his in the eyes of some.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I would rather Mainoo doesn't play any games for England. Don't want any risk of injury and him missing the start of the league season.
Same

All I want is for us to buy a healthy, strong #6 so I can enjoy the midfield of that person + Mainoo as #8 and Bruno as #10. Would be wonderful if we had a decent defense behind them

That is what I care about. With Southgate, England is hopeless whether Mainoo plays or not

Top_Bins

100% but hey are just doing their jobs apparently :rolleyes:

Football journalism and pundits have been unbearable for years, but they are worse not better.
They feed off emotion, both positive and negative, like some kind of heart worm.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I would rather Mainoo doesn't play any games for England. Don't want any risk of injury and him missing the start of the league season.
I'd rather he not play so he's not associated with the inevitable England shitshow. Journalists refuse to go after Southgate and the favs, they absolutely will go after the Mainoo and we know why.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
There is a huge gulf between "not yet very good", and "some of the best passing midfielders ever".

I don't think there is anything wrong with his passing. It seems to have suddenly become a huge weakness and liability of his in the eyes of some.
There is also a huge gulf between saying that his passing is not top level yet and "it's a uuuuuge weakness and liability".

It has always been fashionable in the eyes of some to extrapolate some moderate view to the very extreme and then dismiss it. I wish it was not.

reelworld

I think his ability to keep the ball and drive it forward with his ball carrying should be able to negate whatever current weakness he has with his passing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Agree that's why Wharton is probably a better partner for Rice currently

OldTrevil

Southgate can actually see this. If we can see it he can also see it, the problem is he just doesn't think it's the correct approach. Managers are driven by a set of values and principles and Southgate's just happen to be heavily inspired by 2006 Middlesbrough.
:lol:

MiceOnMeth

Southgate can actually see this. If we can see it he can also see it, the problem is he just doesn't think it's the correct approach. Managers are driven by a set of values and principles and Southgate's just happen to be heavily inspired by 2006 Middlesbrough.
The same Middlesbrough who thrashed us 4-1? :cool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Southgate succumbing to the press after the Iceland friendly. He'll say he's protecting a young kid, but really he's just a coward. You're playing Slovenia, and you don't even need to win to qualify but of course he'll rather play Gallagher.
The last thing he wants is for Mainoo to have a blinder against Slovenia because the pressure to play him would be immense and that would terrify him.

Bobski

People are so dramatic.

He is a major talent with huge potential who had some superb moments last season. However he wasn't dominating midfield or controlling games, often drifted out of matches for long spells between flashes of brilliance. Some of that was down to the dumbass midfield tactics that blighted the season but much of it is also down to him being a kid, being injured in pre-season and not yet having the stamina to be a 90 min force. Throwing him into international tournament games with the expectations he can be the glue for this England team is asking a lot.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think Mainoo has the natural vision and passing range to be that type of midfielder. I see him as more of a Moussa Dembele type midfielder, a ball-carrying CM who gets everywhere.
He's 19

Pronewbie

Peep
Minor quibble: Could have been better positionally in some situations but obviously a step up from the likes of TAA and Gallagher.

Rolaholic

He must be thinking of another manager being in charge if he thinks that :lol:

Southgate will still go with the same uninspiring XI and set up and scrape by against the Netherlands before getting thoroughly outplayed and eliminated by Italy or Switzerland the next round

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That flick :drool: thought Kane should’ve returned it to him as he was in a shooting position.

DavelinaJolie

Minor quibble: Could have been better positionally in some situations but obviously a step up from the likes of TAA and Gallagher.
He knows when to take the easy pass and when to drive or play it faster. Unlike TAA who just spams it over the top to the opposing defence or Gallagher, who doesn't appear to want to have the football.

Slovenia packed it though so it was hard to make or get space, but he offered himself up for passes all the time. That flick to Kane was delightful.

Walters_19_MuFc

Tonight showed why Kobbie should be starting and he wasn't even at his best. However, as Scholes said, he has that ability to control games like Rodri, Kroos, etc. Not in the same way, as he hasn't got the long passing range, but he has the ability to dictate games.

That’s him starting for the rest of the tournament now. Dictated the game with his off the ball movement and simple give and go’s.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm really wondering what people are expecting positionally from him. So many seem to think he "drifts through games" (he was deployed in the Ten Hag suicide ball most of the season as a high 8, you aren't going to get to dictate much from that spot). But when he's tasked with playing high up the pitch, he isn't also going to drop deep and spray balls around like Kroos. He's not superman, he can't do every role at once.

Pronewbie

Peep
He knows when to take the easy pass and when to drive or play it faster. Unlike TAA who just spams it over the top to the opposing defence or Gallagher, who doesn't appear to want to have the football.

Slovenia packed it though so it was hard to make or get space, but he offered himself up for passes all the time. That flick to Kane was delightful.
It will come with experience.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Feels like Southgate has tried everything possible before selecting Mainoo. Like he actively wants something else to work rather than going with what most people recognise is his best option. Then he finally gives him a full half and he immediately shows why he is our best option there.

hopefully the penny has now dropped for Gareth.

Trophy Room

Thought he needed to be better in a positional sense. Needed to be closer to Rice in midfield. No brainer to start him.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm really wondering what people are expecting positionally from him. So many seem to think he "drifts through games" (he was deployed in the Ten Hag suicide ball most of the season as a high 8, you aren't going to get to dictate much from that spot). But when he's tasked with playing high up the pitch, he isn't also going to drop deep and spray balls around like Kroos. He's not superman, he can't do every role at once.
Some failed attempts to stretch the play with blind alleys runs that were so obvious the Slovenian players didn't even bother tracking him. No need to treat him as infallible.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thought he needed to be better in a positional sense. Needed to be closer to Rice in midfield. No brainer to start him.
I thought the same thing, to the point that I thought he may have been told to play as another '10' alongside Bellingham

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Feels like Southgate has tried everything possible before selecting Mainoo. Like he actively wants something else to work rather than going with what most people recognise is his best option. Then he finally gives him a full half and he immediately shows why he is our best option there.

hopefully the penny has now dropped for Gareth.
Narrator: it didn't.

Blood Mage

He needs some work but he's the most press resistant English midfielder. He has to start really.