View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yes, form is temporary. Him being topscorer in the league on the bck of his form 6-10 months back does not prevent him from being in bad form now. As a matter of fact many complained that his form was variable at best for RM after new year.

He had a good game for me vs Serbia, but has not been mentally sharpe after that, and vs Slovenia he was even quite clumsy on the ball. Probably been a long season for his 20 year old head.
So we may aswell say, Kanes in bad form, Fodens in bad form. Walkers in bad form and so on… all the England players except maybe 1/2 have been very bad. Can’t string a few passes together. You saying all them players aren’t in form? I put it down to the tactics/system.

Grande

So we may aswell say, Kanes in bad form, Fodens in bad form. Walkers in bad form and so on… all the England players except maybe 1/2 have been very bad. Can’t string a few passes together. You saying all them players aren’t in form? I put it down to the tactics/system.
You seem to think that these are either/or situations? I think they affect each other.

MattofManchester

Really wish ex-United pundits would stop talking about him as if he's the second coming of Christ for England.

Irrespective of his talent, he's 19, and he doesn't need the added pressure from the media.
They should know better.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Really wish ex-United pundits would stop talking about him as if he's the second coming of Christ for England.

Irrespective of his talent, he's 19, and he doesn't need the added pressure from the media.
They should know better.
Agreed but that's not gonna happen. Their favourite sport (even more than football) is building players up quickly and knocking them down.

Rockets Redglare

They should know better.
I don’t get this way of thinking. If he’s going to make it he needs to get used to the pressure of playing for a big club like United and England, and that comes with a lot of negativity unfortunately.
If he’s good enough to start and win us the FA cup final against the best team in club football he’s good enough to play for England.

If anything the state of England this tournament will help him because even if he doesn’t perform to his best I feel that how shit everyone else has been and Southgate being pilloried will take the heat of him.

Bertie Wooster

They should know better.
They'll never know better. Its how the media works - the old build them up to knock them down.

I've heard Fergie say he was always tougher with youngsters because they'd never hear any negatives about themselves anywhere else as all youngsters hear is praise and their faults overlooked. That's until they reach a certain age, then it's reversed while the next generation of youngsters get raved about.

All top players have to learn how to deal with that - the ones that don't might well be the ones that fail to kick on the most. Hopefully Kobbie will be one who deals well with the initial overhype before the inevitable OTT criticism further down the line.

dutchred

They'll never know better. Its how the media works - the old build them up to knock them down.

I've heard Fergie say he was always tougher with youngsters because they'd never hear any negatives about themselves anywhere else as all youngsters hear is praise and their faults overlooked. That's until they reach a certain age, then it's reversed while the next generation of youngsters get raved about.

All top players have to learn how to deal with that - the ones that don't might well be the ones that fail to kick on the most. Hopefully Kobbie will be one who deals well with the initial overhype before the inevitable OTT criticism further down the line.
it's alreay starting with Bellingham. A couple of average games and the critics have started.

TrivelaDeBruno

Changed the game for England by the mere fact that he was being man marked for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half, which meant Slovenia could no longer surround Rice and cut him off from the attacking mid trio. Absolutely nuts for a 19 year old in his first appearance in a major international tournament. It's not a coincidence the second half was the first time in this tournament England looked anywhere near controlling a match. It really does defy belief how good he is right now.

Brightonian

He could impose himself on the match more, but it's a lot to ask of a 19 year old after his very first season of senior football. What he did do was pretty much impeccable, and the few occasions he got the ball in dangerous situations he created openings.

Meanwhile, his teammates should learn to trust him more. Yesterday he was asking for the ball in tight spaces a lot in the middle third, but he doesn't receive the pass because they're not used to players being comfortable receiving the ball under that kind of pressure. But no-one ever broke through a defensive block by receiving the ball in space. You need your midfielders to turn and half-turn their opponents. Receiving it with the opponent close to you is how you do it.

diarm

Mainoo sent Joe Gomez home on compassionate leave earlier today: