View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't blame Mainoo for any of that. When Conor Gallacher came on, he had a bright 5 minutes and then almost gave away 2-3 clear cut chances to the Swiss and was generally a disaster in extra time. Scored his penalty which is obvs a huge plus in tournament football, so it's harsh to be overly critical.

If you think Southgate picks up -anything- you're bashing your head against a brick wall. Kane and Foden have been absolutely awful all tournament but you already know they're going to start based on reputation alone next game. Not that there's necessarily better options or anything, but Mainoo was easily England's best player in that first half, doing the dirty work and getting forward well. Not that I want him to play another minute, it kind of sucks that at 19 he's under the microscope to the degree he is, but what a talent.

I'm not blaming Mainoo for anything. I love the guy.

I don't think we are the right people to ask for an impartial answer. Rice and mainoo started the last 2 games. We went behind in both, we equalized after Kobbie got subbed.

I think he's great, but I don't think it's a great partnership and I think a manager will have picked up on that. It's not a slight on Kobbie, he's a kid learning his craft. We all know that Rice isn't going to be the one rested. It's not a bad thing.
The goals conceded weren’t down to him and after they conceded, England (obviously) attack more and have equalised… fortunately in one of those games.

The two things (Mainoo\Rice on and conceding… Mainoo off and England scoring) aren’t directly linked.

i
The goals conceded weren’t down to him and after they conceded, England (obviously) attack more and have equalised… fortunately in one of those games.

The two things (Mainoo\Rice on and conceding… Mainoo off and England scoring) aren’t directly linked.

Maybe I've worded my original post poorly?

I apportion zero blame on Kobbie. I don't think anyone does.

I'm putting a Southgate head on and trying to see it how he does.

He's insisting on Jude, Bellingham, Foden, being on the pitch. That triumvirate currently aren't clicking in the positions he's using them.

Due to Mainoos new boy status, and Southgates personality, I think there's a chance he will put Bellingham next to Rice.

He's insisting on Jude, Bellingham, Foden, being on the pitch. That triumvirate currently aren't clicking in the positions he's using them.

Of course the threee won't click if there's actually only 2 of them in reality taking the load at any given point :lol:

I'm obviously a fan but I do think some of the praise is a bit OTT. That drop of the shoulder he did to take out 3 Swiss players was majestic and he did good to cut out that dangerous cross in the first half but just like his games with Utd, his lack of actions is an 'issue' IF the expectation is that he starts and/or finishes games. Yes we can complain about Southgate's shitty tactics and his teammates but that doesn't stop him from demanding the ball more, being more progressive/incisive with the ball and upping his intensity. Hopefully all of those things will come with his physical maturity, playing in a better team, different tactics and teammates.

He's absolute class when he can get on the ball but he plays like he's in a team that dominates the ball and is very progressive. 50% of that he cannot control because under Utd and England, that's not really happening anytime soon. The other 50% he will have to find solutions to get 'involved' and influence a game on his own terms. For all the criticism Rice gets for his safe passing, he's a leader on the pitch with his efforts on/off the ball and directly or not, it creates some kind of chaos for openings to happen in a game simply because of sheer volume. Same with Bellingham to an extent.

I'm not expecting Mainoo to emulate spamball Bruno but he needs to evolve and learn how to stamp his own authority when it's disorganised AND physical (i.e box to box) chaos because that will be the reality at Utd and in the PL. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a 18/19 year old in his first (half) season to have that in his arsenal now but I feel he will have to gain those tools eventually sooner or later.

I feel it's a bit similar to Hojlund, where he's not getting involved enough due to the set up but he also has to take responsibility himself. That said, it's a fantastic problem to evaluate when you realise it's two kids after their first year at Utd.

TLDR: I get he's our golden boy but I think we should be careful with the glazing as it can hinder some healthy discussion.

TLDR: I get he's our golden boy but I think we should be careful with the glazing as it can hinder some healthy discussion.

Yeah the caf is hyping him up an insane amount. Hope he can keep his head down, work hard and as you say, stamp his authority on the game. Having play run through him, getting special attention from the opposition and getting closed down fast. Having midfielders leave a few nasty tackles on him to push him out of the game. That's what lies in ahead for him. Really hope he can take that next step.

For me his ball carrying / composure is elite. Rest of the game (passing, creativity, movement, shooting, pressing / tackling) can use work. Obviously there's no such thing as a perfect midfielder and he can't do everything but he needs to up is game in a few more areas and really nail down the type of player he wants to become.

Yeah the caf is hyping him up an insane amount. Hope he can keep his head down, work hard and as you say, stamp his authority on the game. Having play run through him, getting special attention from the opposition and getting closed down fast. Having midfielders leave a few nasty tackles on him to push him out of the game. That's what lies in ahead for him. Really hope he can take that next step.

For me his ball carrying / composure is elite. Rest of the game (passing, creativity, movement, shooting, pressing / tackling) can use work. Obviously there's no such thing as a perfect midfielder and he can't do everything but he needs to up is game in a few more areas and really nail down the type of player he wants to become.

While I agree with the general tone of this in terms of not hyping him up, or going overboard on flashy skills that lead to nothing, he had a very good game today.

There wasn't a telling contribution like a goal or an assist but he gave England control in midfield by first of all not giving the ball away, and then using it well.

There does need to be something more from him in terms of end product but right now his control of possession and most of the fundamentals are first rate.

Last edited:
He's clearly been the better of the midfield options that England have tried and Rice has played better with him in the team. It doesn't make sense to drop him for the next match.

The game that Conor started I remember thinking why is he so high and nowhere near the ball all the time. One of the things Mainoo is good at is staying connected to the game and always being where the ball is. That alone means the person on the ball has more options to pass. As he grows I think he will demand the ball more and end up touching it more and more and influence the game more.

Status
Not open for further replies.