Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would SAF sign a player to make a statement?

We probably will sign someone to replace Tevez (if not, why did we offer Tevez a contract?) but we'll be looking to sign someone who will fit well into our squad, not to make a statement.

By statement signing I meant a player who would be a world class talent already, not one that would need seasons to breakout. As you said, we need a replacement for Tevez, and I would be suprised if it wasn't a player with a big reputation already.

Why would SAF sign a player to make a statement?

We probably will sign someone to replace Tevez (if not, why did we offer Tevez a contract?) but we'll be looking to sign someone who will fit well into our squad, not to make a statement.
Because the best player in the world just left us for Madrid?

Because Carlos Tevez will likely leave us to sign for Manchester City?

That's quite a miserable start to a transfer season by United's standards so you can see why people might feel that United need to strike back in the market and prove they haven't lost 'their allure', can't you Doc?

Well if Madrid signed Benzema, that would leave us with only Aguero as a possible transfer target and he'll be about £15m more expensive than Benzema so I'm not sure.

Well, not really. It would leave him as the only possible transfer target of the more obvious one's. That does not mean there are no other options.

Because the best player in the world just left us for Madrid?

Because Carlos Tevez will likely leave us to sign for Manchester City?

That's quite a miserable start to a transfer season by United's standards so you can see why people might feel that United need to strike back in the market and prove they haven't lost 'their allure', can't you Doc?

the thing is though thats a myth created by the media because they link us to 1,000,000 players when clearly we're only interested in maybe 3/4 with 2 being our main targets

I don't know if it will happen, but what I do is that I don't think it'd be an incredible signing as such. I just think the hype is madness and if you notice chelsea, madrid, city, united, maybe arsenal get linked with benezema and I think that's part of the hype factor

He has been compared to Ronaldo and zidane but he's still just a kid.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I wonder if the player that Madrid are supposed to be signing might be Alonso, or perhaps even Arbeloa. Unless it was Villa, himself, that told Real Madrid that he doesn't want to sign for them, it would be surprising if they have simply given up on him. If the problem is with Valencia, you'd expect Real Madrid to at least wait a while longer to see if the situation changes.

The best way to look at any situation such as this is to believe that, no matter who Madrid sign, and no matter how many players that they buy that we have supposedly been interested in, they cannot and will not suppress our determination to succeed on the football pitch.

From The Sun....

MANCHESTER UNITED have been told to make an 'extraordinary' offer to prise Karim Benzema away from Lyon.

The striker, 21, has been linked with a move to United and Arsenal this summer.

His performances have seen him seal his spot in the French national team.

But Lyon boss Claude Puel admits he would find it hard to turn down a £25million offer for their prized asset.

And Puel conceded: "We know his importance and his efficiency in our squad.

"Karim is an exceptional player but we also know the financial figures of the club.

"We will evaluate the situation with him when he comes back on July 2 and whatever he wants to do, we will listen to him.

"For several months he has said that he wishes to stay with us for the year before the World Cup.

"If he has any dreams of leaving we will discuss them with him if there are any concrete offers, which is not the case at the moment.

"But ahead of a transfer which could be out of the ordinary, there is everything to consider.

"We will study the situation if it happens to present itself, although this doesn't mean that he will definitely leave Lyon."

Puel hinted it would take at least two players to replace the talented hitman if he were to quit the French outfit.

He added: "For any coach it would be a great loss to lose Karim.

"It would mean that we have to replace him - therefore it would be out of the question to lose him if one or two players of his calibre were not coming in."

He has to be woth £25mil.

Nothing to say he didn't say it. No comment from Lyon, the player, and most sports news sites are running with it, including Sky Sports. No Transfer bets avaliable for him today, I just spoke to someone from skybet on the phone, and he said they were not taking bets on the players for the moment, possibly all today. Read into that what you will.

I think hes leaving, but I dont know where for. If Pjanic is to be believed its for us.

So Pjanic definately did not say what we thought he did?

who said that? If the quotes are true - then we'll see. At the minute a lot of old quotes get rehashed to make new stories to confuse everyone

--
the sun are full of shit. No where do lyon say they are after an extraordinary bid....

what's this bollox about "we need to make a statement"?

all that does is tell everyone that we're prepared to chuck money around. Do you think it will actually influence results? If we can get the right players in to suit the team we don't need any statement at all - the team will speak for itself.

A "cocks out" signing is always exciting though, I'll admit :D

Nothing to say he didn't say it. No comment from Lyon, the player, and most sports news sites are running with it, including Sky Sports. No Transfer bets avaliable for him today, I just spoke to someone from skybet on the phone, and he said they were not taking bets on the players for the moment, possibly all today. Read into that what you will.

I think hes leaving, but I dont know where for. If Pjanic is to be believed its for us.

charlenefan posted a link to a french website that talked to him and said he denied.

And.....

They have put the transfer bets for him back up.

fecking hell!

However, none of the betting sites are biting Real Madrids lines - they are still priced at 7/1 to sign him.

By statement signing I meant a player who would be a world class talent already, not one that would need seasons to breakout. As you said, we need a replacement for Tevez, and I would be suprised if it wasn't a player with a big reputation already.

Fair enough. Like I said, the fact that we did end up offering Tevez a contract tells me that SAF will be looking to sign a replacement and that replacement will need to be good enough to play as many games as Tevez did last season (ideally scoring more goals in the process). If there are any strikers in Europe good enough to do this, in their debut season for United, chances are they will be fairly well known.

What doesn't make sense to me is deliberately targetting someone because of their profile - in order to make a statement about how big a club we are. We can leave that sort of willy-waving to City. I wouldn't have any problem with us signing someone who is less well-known than the likes of Benzema, Ribery or Villa (although they're all players I would like at the club) if SAF feels our interests are best served by keeping out of the bidding frenzy this summer and looking at someone with a lower profile, who will be happy to muck in as a squad player without sulking whenever he sits out a few games. SAF is a manager that is better at creating super-stars, than he is at signing them. I'm guessing this will be foremost in his thoughts, since the last two really high profile signings - Veron and Tevez - have ended on a sour note (I'm not including Berbatov because he still has time to redeem himself and I don't think he represented the same kind of global box office as the other two).

FRENCH FORWARD EYES OLD TRAFFORD
Man United close in on Benzema
By Soccernet staff

July 1, 2009
Comment
Email
Print
Olympique Lyonnais forward Miralem Pjanic believes hot shot team-mate Karim Benzema is close to completing a £38m move to Premier League champions Manchester United.

GettyImages

Lyon's star marksman is a wanted man

The 21-year-old French striker has been linked with a number of Europe's top clubs, including Real Madrid, Barcelona, Arsenal and Chelsea, but Bosnia international Pjanic says United are leading the race to sign his colleague.

"Benzema is nearly gone to Old Trafford," Pjanic told Bosnian website Sportsport. "The English club are willing to pay ¬45m (£38m) for him and it is just a question of the day when he will move to England.

"He does not have anything against going to Manchester. Our side will be reinforced by Lisandro Lopez, the Argentine forward from Porto."

Benzema, who has netted 43 goals in 112 league outings for Lyon, is a full France international and has already experienced Champions League football with the deposed Ligue 1 champions.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to have been handed £100m to spend in the transfer window, following the £80m sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid and the departure of striker Carlos Tevez.

The Reds completed a £16m deal to sign Wigan Athletic winger Antonio Valencia on Tuesday and are now out to sign a forward.

Lyon coach Claude Puel has admitted Les Gones would let Benzema join another club if the striker wished to do so and the bid was high enough.

"We know his importance at Olympique Lyonnais and his efficiency in our squad," Puel said on Tuesday. "He's an exceptional player, but we also know the financial figures of the club.

"We will evaluate the situation with him when he comes back - July 2 - what he wants to do, we'll listen to him.

"If he has any dreams of leaving we will discuss them with him if there are any concrete offers, which is not the case at the moment."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5408818,00.html

Pjanic denies the comments....

but...

Real enter the race

Meanwhile Real have revealed that they are set to unveil another big name signing on Wednesday, leading many to suggest they are close to securing Benzema's signature now that previous target David Villa looks set to stay at Valencia.

"We do not discard the possibility that in the next few hours, something could happen," Real director Jorge Valdano told Onda Cero.

Pjanic denies Benzema quotes
Lyon midfielder insists he never said team-mate was set for United

Lyon midfielder Miralem Pjanic has denied that he said team-mate Karim Benzema was close to completing a move to Manchester United.

The 19-year-old was quoted as stating in a Bosnian newspaper on Tuesday that the striker was just days away from switching to the Premier League champions for £38million.

Benzema has been strongly linked with a move to United as well as Real Madrid, Barcelona and Arsenal in recent weeks, despite declaring a wish to stay at Lyon for another season at least.

However Pjanic insists he said nothing which would suggest the French international is heading to Old Trafford.

"I have not granted any interview to the media. I do not know any other answer to say to you because I said nothing," he told Lyon Capital.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5408818,00.html
pleasedonotstealthebandwithofthispicture1.jpg

Pretty obvious that the quotes were not correct, I never believed that. Why would a team mate speak out like this, nothing is official yet, plus they havent seen each other due to holidays..

However, none of the betting sites are biting Real Madrids lines - they are still priced at 7/1 to sign him.

Where can you get 7/1? That would be too good a price to not get involved.

well,well,well - what quotes to believe!? :p

wait up cause later he might deny he denied the original quotes. we shall see

Keep the faith lads...don't let this get in the way of our muppetry!!

who am I kidding.

let's close the thread...its over...

:lol:

So you guys all believe Marca? The article on page 61 suggests real are going back for Villa, now why would they want Benzema too?

Fergie looked really happy at Valencia's unveiling, I'm just hoping it was because of The Benz. Also Pjanic may have been instructed to deny those comments, so as to get other clubs "interested", so they could try and squeeze a bit more out of us.

BREAKING NEWS Real Madrid Agree Karim Benzema Deal - Report

Real Madrid have reached an agreement with Olympique Lyonnais to sign Karim Benzema and the deal will be made official in the next couple of days, according to reports in Spain.

Both Marca and AS state that the highly-rated French striker will become Los Merengues fourth big-money arrival of the summer after negotiations saw a deal reached.

With Manchester United preparing to make a move, Madrid president Florentino Perez moved to ensure that talks pushed things along and that an agreement was done to prevent Benzema going elsewhere.

Full report to follow...

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/20...s-real-madrid-agree-karim-benzema-deal-report

Well, at least it seems to be moving forward, ought to be news either way either today or tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.