Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is worth the 35 million because of the state of the market...

the ronaldo and kaka deals have changed every excellent players value around europe and every club knows that we have 80 million squid they'd want to get a big wedge of in return for their players....

can ya blame Lyon for wanting 40 million for Benzema???

Has anyone even heard we are interested in Benzema?

This could be a classic case of Lyon, and his agent touting for business. Or at the very least trying to bring more clubs to the negotiating table.

This could be a classic case of Lyon, and his agent touting for business. Or at the very least trying to bring more clubs to the negotiating table.

It could be, but if that were the case I am sure United would have come out and told everyone we were not interested.

as said, it could be the case, but with the amount of linkage it seems certain enough that we are at least interested.

Also, if we were to take the same approach to every transfer thread, we'd be looking at very few. I'm sure everyone on here would be in agreement that we are after Valencia and are very close to signing him - but United have not said anything. There is no more United backing to links for a deal for Valencia than there are for Benzema.

It could be, but if that were the case I am sure United would have come out and told everyone we were not interested.
i'm hoping its a case of 2 more days, 1st of July, Ronaldo deal totally finalised and we see some movement on players....

Well I think we sure are, given that he's what we need at the moment, and that Fergie likes him.

"09.41 Lyon director of communication Olivier Blanc has insisted that the French giants have not received any official offers from Real Madrid, Manchester United or Arsenal for Karim Benzema."

However it's nothing like he's already signed(because 40+pages topic certainly implies that he's almost in the bag).

from SSN

Lyon director of communication Olivier Blanc has insisted that the French giants have not received any official offers from Real Madrid, Manchester United or Arsenal for Karim Benzema.

back to square one

from SSN

Lyon director of communication Olivier Blanc has insisted that the French giants have not received any official offers from Real Madrid, Manchester United or Arsenal for Karim Benzema.

back to square one

No - it is not.

1. With European transfers it is not required to agree a fee with the club in order to negotiate with a player. United could simply have informed Lyon they wish to talk to Benzema. So, it is possible United have been sounding out Benzema on whether he would sign for United, and what his potential contract would be, before making a bid. This was actually said in one of the articles linked over the last 24 or 48 hours IIRC.

2. They have said no official bid has been made. This, again, could be very true. It is possible for a club to negotiate a fee without officially submitting an offer. Officially submitting an offer could be one of the last things United, or any club, do in this situation.

Well I think we sure are, given that he's what we need at the moment, and that Fergie likes him.

"09.41 Lyon director of communication Olivier Blanc has insisted that the French giants have not received any official offers from Real Madrid, Manchester United or Arsenal for Karim Benzema."

However it's nothing like he's already signed(because 40+pages topic certainly implies that he's almost in the bag).
You don't know the caf that well, do you? There's at least 150 pages for a fap-worthy player who's in the bag... Of which 75 consist of prospective line-ups with said player in.

Basically Lyon are touting business.

Lyon develop talents. Benzema is one of their biggest assets, maybe even bigger than Essien was. They want to make a bidding war out of him. Aulas wants to sell. Otherwise Lyon wouldn't state "come and get me plea" like "if someone shows up with the money".

They will bring someone to replace him for 20 mills or less and spend the rest on other talents who will be their next asset. I fully expect Pjanic to replace Benzema and become their next 30-40 million pound player.

@Makki,
Well given Aguero's topic has 7 pages, we may very well beat that record of 40(hope so). It's not like we are much closer to signing Benzema rather than Aguero, are we?

@Makki,
Well given Aguero's topic has 7 pages, we may very well beat that record of 40(hope so). It's not like we are much closer to signing Benzema rather than Aguero, are we?
Actually, I think we're closer to signing Benzema than Agüero since the club's come out and said they'll consider selling him and have been mentioning United in terms of potential buyers. Atletico Madrid, on the other side, have been saying that they won't sell him at all, and also, Benzema's more what I think we're looking for.

Actually, I think we're closer to signing Benzema than Agüero since the club's come out and said they'll consider selling him and have been mentioning United in terms of potential buyers. Atletico Madrid, on the other side, have been saying that they won't sell him at all, and also, Benzema's more what I think we're looking for.

Aguero does have a release clause though. The problem with Benzema is that even when they are willing to do business you never know how many will Aulas be asking for.

It's a matter of how much Fergie rates Kun and Benzema. I'd gladly take either of them both would be even better.

Both! Right...

We're not City, ffs. We don't need to buy every striker on the planet, bwahahahaha etc. We're trying to build a team, or rather improve an already very good team.

It's ridiculous to pay over the top for a player just because we received £80million for Ronaldo. He went for £80million because he's one of the top 2 players in the world and thus we deserved the money received for him. That doesn't mean we should be ripped off by other clubs.

I'll gladly give up the chance of us not wasting epic amounts of money through some opportunistic chairman.

It's ridiculous to pay over the top for a player just because we received £80million for Ronaldo. He went for £80million because he's one of the top 2 players in the world and thus we deserved the money received for him. That doesn't mean we should be ripped off by other clubs.

I'll gladly give up the chance of us not wasting epic amounts of money through some opportunistic chairman.

I agree with your reasoning, but our attack, as it stands, looks a bit light, and thats without injuries, we may be forced to pay over the odds, but at leats we are in a position to do so.

Aguero does have a release clause though. The problem with Benzema is that even when they are willing to do business you never know how many will Aulas be asking for.

It's a matter of how much Fergie rates Kun and Benzema. I'd gladly take either of them both would be even better.
Why should we activate a release clause for a player we haven't been linked with? Spanish rules state that every player must have a release clause, hence why they're setting them at ridiculous sums which are never going to be paid.

£40m would probably be pretty close to Lyon's asking price (if not higher than it), whereas Agüero never would be sold for that kind of money.

And we need to remember that Benzema's only 22 this year, so we're not just paying for a great playing, we're paying for a potentially even greater player. It's not like Rooney was worth £30m when we paid close to that for him, but everyone was in agreement that he'd be worth it - same goes for Benzema.

No - it is not.

1. With European transfers it is not required to agree a fee with the club in order to negotiate with a player. United could simply have informed Lyon they wish to talk to Benzema. So, it is possible United have been sounding out Benzema on whether he would sign for United, and what his potential contract would be, before making a bid. This was actually said in one of the articles linked over the last 24 or 48 hours IIRC.

2. They have said no official bid has been made. This, again, could be very true. It is possible for a club to negotiate a fee without officially submitting an offer. Officially submitting an offer could be one of the last things United, or any club, do in this situation.

1. Factually wrong.
2. Factually right, interpretively probably wrong in this case

3/10

Why should we activate a release clause for a player we haven't been linked with? Spanish rules state that every player must have a release clause, hence why they're setting them at ridiculous sums which are never going to be paid.

£40m would probably be pretty close to Lyon's asking price (if not higher than it), whereas Agüero never would be sold for that kind of money.

And we need to remember that Benzema's only 22 this year, so we're not just paying for a great playing, we're paying for a potentially even greater player. It's not like Rooney was worth £30m when we paid close to that for him, but everyone was in agreement that he'd be worth it - same goes for Benzema.

Well we were linked with him on more than one occasion. There's no concrete offer, but there isn't as well for Benzema(according to reports). Aguero release clause is 45 mill pounds(If I'm not mistaken), so isn't astronomical by any means. I doubt that it won't be negotiated as you said(if we are interested), so both players would share the same value imo.

Aguero is 22 as well and has lots of potential.

Well we were linked with him on more than one occasion. There's no concrete offer, but there isn't as well for Benzema(according to reports). Aguero release clause is 45 mill pounds(If I'm not mistaken), so isn't astronomical by any means. I doubt that it won't be negotiated as you said(if we are interested), so both players would share the same value imo.

If we are after a forward though, then Benzema is what we need.

But the link to Benzema is surely stronger, with Fergie having expressed his admiration for him and it being constantly spouted in the media.

The last part of my post wasn't specifically aimed at you, it was aimed at the "he's not worth £30m" brigade.

If we are after a forward though, then Benzema is what we need.

yeah it'll be very interesting how things will pan out. If Fergie goes after both players(unlikely at this point) he may go for 4-3-3 with Rooney/Benzema/Berbs/Aguero rotating for 3 spots and Hargo/Carrick/Fletcher/Ando/Park rotating for the other 3.

If the deal for Valencia is done and dusted though, would Fergie get back to 4-5-1 with Benzema no1 priority, Rooney in the hole, Carrick/Ando/Fletch/Hargo in the middle, and Park/Nani/Valencia/ on the wings. Or he could get Kun and get back to Rooney/Tevez alike partnership, with Berbatov rotating in those selections as well.

It'll be an interesting summer none the less and many many variables.

@Makki,
yeah but there are the Madrid feckers who could very well spoil the party.

As for the price tag. 40 mill pounds is about right for Benzema. The pure talent and potential is there.

1. Factually wrong.

3/10
I don't think 1 is factually wrong. Real were cleared of tapping up allegations as international rules say that you don't have to have the club's permission to talk to the player, the club just needs to be informed of your intentions of speaking to the player.

In England, however, the club owning the player must give their permission to talk to the player.

That's how I interpreted the verdict in the Madrid tapping Ronaldo up case last year.

yeah but there are the Madrid feckers who could very well spoil the party.
There's always that, but if Benzema's reasoning behind considering staying another year at Lyon is that he'll risk losing his place in the French team ahead of the World Cup, then surely he isn't going to choose Real over United, with all the fancy names they've been buying lately.

And if he does, well then he can feck off and suck Evra's pussy.

tevez fee plus £10 million sounds very reasonable. Somwhere around this figure would be good business in todays inflated market (e.g. Glen Johnson)

if he did go to Madrid and done a Huntelaar and was not seen as galactico such as Kaka, Ronnie, and messed up his chances in the world Cup. His price would drop and we could get him on the cheap and he would be a player who would probably hate Madrid to boot.

1. Factually wrong.

3/10

Factually right as far as I know - there are no regulations governing contact between clubs and players in other countries like there are between clubs in the same country.

what people fail to realise is, that over the 2 Champions League legs, he was playing against 2 of the best defenders in the world at their peak on his own, and he gave them a very difficult evening and scored a brilliant goal out of nothing.

Champions League is the ultimate test for a player, more so than a world cup IMO.

You also need to remember the fact of Fergie having Benzema watched throughout last season, whilst knowing all along about Ronnie leaving.

IMO we are most likely to sign from Benzema, Costa, Valencia (obviously) and any other players we regularly scouted last year. These are the potential targets, Fergie likes doing homework on his potential buys and will have started earlier due to the forthcoming circumstances (Ronnie leaving).

Even though Ronnie was bought earlier than expected, he had been monitored for a long time. Rarely do we panic buy, rest assured all targets we are after have been either rumoured (Valencia) for a while, or scouted extensively.

what people fail to realise is, that over the 2 Champions League legs, he was playing against 2 of the best defenders in the world at their peak on his own, and he gave them a very difficult evening and scored a brilliant goal out of nothing.

Champions League is the ultimate test for a player, more so than a world cup IMO.

You also need to remember the fact of Fergie having Benzema watched throughout last season, whilst knowing all along about Ronnie leaving.

IMO we are most likely to sign from Benzema, Costa, Valencia (obviously) and any other players we regularly scouted last year. These are the potential targets, Fergie likes doing homework on his potential buys and will have started earlier due to the forthcoming circumstances (Ronnie leaving).

Even though Ronnie was bought earlier than expected, he had been monitored for a long time. Rarely do we panic buy, rest assured all targets we are after have been either rumoured (Valencia) for a while, or scouted extensively.
We should also remember that just because a player isn't good internationally he's not shit domestically. Look at Ibrahimovic, Henry and Cantona. None of them have been shining on the international stage, but all are regarded as great players. Obviously, some people will say that Ibrahimovic is overrated and Cantona is probably a little overrated by United fans because of his cult status, but generally I'd say that it's fair to say that all three are/were great players.

I'd say that looking at Champions League performances for a team is far more important than looking at performances for the national team, as one may or may not have a manager who looks to the stars for his team selections and is a nutcase in general..

Status
Not open for further replies.