Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
if we want him then I think this opens the door to a 35 million bid from us. I think he's worth it and I think lyon will try to sell to us at that price. madrid are not showing huge desire if thats what they are bidding given the current market madness they are driving

i think if i was Benzema and this was true, i would be thinking "wow, they think Kaka is worth four times as much as me?"

I've already said it, but if we really wanted him, we would have made sure we got a free-run at him as part of the Ronaldo deal.

Don't be a plonker, it would ILLEGAL to do that. You can't sign a contract with another company based on them refusing to employ someone else.

Don't be a plonker, it would ILLEGAL to do that. You can't sign a contract with another company based on them refusing to employ someone else.

It's also illegal to tap up players.

Doesn't stop it from happening.

It wouldn't have to be a contract anyway, just a gentleman's agreement.

It's also illegal to tap up players.

Doesn't stop it from happening.

It wouldn't have to be a contract anyway, just a gentleman's agreement.
It's illegal in football terms to tap up. It's illegal in civil law to do what is being suggested.
A gentlemans agreement? With Madrid? Good one.

:lol:

It's not refusing to employ them, simply asking them not to actively 'head-hunt' them, leaving them free for you to pursue.

It's not like Benzema is applying for a job at Real, and we're telling them to refuse his application.

if madrid want him he'll go there, end of.

Hopefully we've already sorted summit out for benzema, we need an out and out striker. This is why aguero is not right for us

:lol:

It's not refusing to employ them, simply asking them not to actively 'head-hunt' them, leaving them free for you to pursue.

It's not like Benzema is applying for a job at Real, and we're telling them to refuse his application.

See above.

Depends on how you do it - you could have said: We will sell you Ronaldo this summer, but if you do place a bid on Benzema untill Ronaldo has signed, we will keep Ronaldo ourselves.

And then you have till you actually sign the papers with Ronaldo

i think if i was Benzema and this was true, i would be thinking "wow, they think Kaka is worth four times as much as me?"

so they have bid £27,000,000 for benzema which is about 32,000,000 in euros

they paid about £54,000,000 for kaka about 64,000,000 in euros...

are you saying benzema is really bad at maths?... or and be honest are you just a bit thick?

Depends on how you do it - you could have said: We will sell you Ronaldo this summer, but if you do place a bid on Benzema untill Ronaldo has signed, we will keep Ronaldo ourselves.

And then you have till you actually sign the papers with Ronaldo

So we'd basically refuse to sell Ronaldo until August 31st? Because Lyon are not stupid. They'll be dragging out any bidding war right through the transfer window so they get the best value.

It's not illegal to ask a company not to head-hunt someone.

Don't be stupid.

You're pretty stupid if you think Madrid would abide by an oral agreement.

And yes, it IS ILLEGAL!!!! You're talking about an anti-competitive cartel. You're not just talking about denying Benzema his dream job but you're denying Lyon a fair market for their player.

And yes, it IS ILLEGAL!!!!

How is it illegal? We wouldn't be saying they should refuse to employ him, merely that they should relent from actively pursuing his employment i.e. head-hunting him.

There's a difference between this and the normal job application and recruitment procedures. Benzema can't apply for a job at Real unless he's a free agent, so unless they come sniffing there's nothing he can do.

We could ensure that they hold back on their sniffing through an agreement. But yes, a gentleman's agreement with Real isn't particularly enticing, but unlike Calderon, Perez has talked about keeping a good relationship with clubs, and it would be in their interests not to cross us should they want to do business with us again.

How is it illegal? We wouldn't be saying they should refuse to employ him, merely that they should relent from actively pursuing his employment i.e. head-hunting him.

There's a difference between this and the normal job application and recruitment procedures. Benzema can't apply for a job at Real unless he's a free agent, so unless they come sniffing there's nothing he can do.

We could ensure that they hold back on their sniffing through an agreement. But yes, a gentleman's agreement with Real isn't particularly enticing, but unlike Calderon, Perez has talked about keeping a good relationship with clubs, and it would be in their interests not to cross us should they want to do business with us again.

You're denying Lyon a fair market for their player. You've broken every competition law in the book. It's ILLEGAL to run a cartel.

Realistically there is no chance of any gentleman's agreement over anything.. So give it up.. and save your breath guys.. & guess what even if there is there is no way in which we will ever know!

We could simply - in a casual and under-the-table manner - have commented that Benzema was likely to be our replacement for Ronaldo, so the ultimate acceptance of the transfer of Ronaldo would be dependant on our successful negiotating with Lyon. Effectively, threaten that if they go after Benzema, we pull out of the Ronaldo deal. Doesnt mean working it into a contract or anything illegal, simply about keeping a strong team and securing a replacement for a player who is on the way out.

You're denying Lyon a fair market for their player. You've broken every competition law in the book. It's ILLEGAL to run a cartel.

Pipe down. We'd simply be asking Real not to actively pursue his employment.

Whether it's illegal or not, I bet it happens all the time in football, a game which has a strange habit of not abiding by regular business rules.

But it is obviously correct that if Real weren't committed to the agreement, it would be pointless.

I'm just saying that it's not beyond the realms of possiblity that if we were really interested in Benzema, then when Gill or whoever was negotiating the deal with Real, he slipped in a little 'I hope this means you'll not be actively pursuing Benzema, wink wink, nudge nudge'. ;)

Now settle down. Hopefully the feds don't have the Madrid lines tapped.

If Benzema wants to move to Madrid for a few million more from us will make no difference. It's more than likely both the clubs and players representitives have had a chat.

If Benzema wants to move to Madrid for a few million more from us will make no difference. It's more than likely both the clubs and players representitives have had a chat.

Yup.

Isn't that meant to be similar to what is perceived to be happening with Valencia, that our offer is less than the supposed Madrid one. Well, that was the impression I got from Whelan.

It seems that one of the major sticking points has been Benzema's desire to sew up his France place, by playing regular football. Of course, this isn't certain at any club, but surely more so at United.

If Benzema wants to move to Madrid a few million more from us will make no difference. It's more than likely both the clubs and players representitives have had a chat.

Don't know about that. Aulas is the best negotiator in Europe, he's not going to get done over on the best saleable asset he's ever had just because it's Benzema's 'dream' to play there.

At the very least, for the alleged fees being bandied about, Aulas would swindle a player or two plus cash Benzema, otherwise he'd sell to the highest bidder or keep the lad there.

Don't know about that. Aulas is the best negotiator in Europe, he's not going to get done over on the best saleable asset he's ever had just because it's Benzema's 'dream' to play there.

At the very least, for the alleged fees being bandied about, Aulas would swindle a player or two plus cash Benzema, otherwise he'd sell to the highest bidder or keep the lad there.

The player mostly has the last say mate.

I'm just saying that it's not beyond the realms of possiblity that if we were really interested in Benzema, then when Gill or whoever was negotiating the deal with Real, he slipped in a little 'I hope this means you'll not be actively pursuing Benzema, wink wink, nudge nudge'. ;)

And maybe we would have handed them our full transfer target list as well, just to make sure they don't go for any of them?

These 'agreements' are just like 'smokescreens'. People always talk about them, but I don't think they ever actually happen.

He always wanted to go to Madrid rather than us. That along with the weak Pound V Euro and the tax rate and Madrids spending power all meant we had fook all chance of ever signing him

I for one am not too bothered by not signing him

And yes, it IS ILLEGAL!!!! You're talking about an anti-competitive cartel. You're not just talking about denying Benzema his dream job but you're denying Lyon a fair market for their player.

Without wanting to be predantic I can't see how it is in any way "illegal".

Infact, I would think that this kind of thing would be fairly common in football. Clubs clearly have to deal with each other over player transfers and the like on a regular basis and it wouldn't surpise me if this sort of thing goes on all the time in terms of agreements made to suit all parties.

In the event that any player wishes to move to any club they will always have the last say in it anyway.

I'm not sure I agree. I think if Benzema wants to go to a specific club he'll get his move eventually.

As far as Lyon are concerned, from a purely financial point of view, this summer is the best time to sell with Real madrid and Man City driving player prices up. If Madrid/United or whoever else move on to other targets Lyon may be left with an unhappy player, who next summer, with one year less on his contract, may be worth less.

Chairmen and managers talk players up and say they won't be leaving to drive the price up, but the fact is often they may need to sell a particular player to fund their own transfers.

And rightly so I'd say.

Under what grounds would you say he was worth more?

The guy is 21, has only really proved himself in the French league (is a fairly poor league, in comparison to England, and for a team that has dominated for a few years), and he can't hold down an international place.

IMO he hasn't proved himself to be a £40 mil player at all, let a lone a £30 mil player. Either way I think he will eventually go to Madrid, they have always been his proffered destination.

Under what grounds would you say he was worth more?

The guy is 21, has only really proved himself in the French league (is a fairly poor league, in comparison to England, and for a team that has dominated for a few years), and he can't hold down an international place.

IMO he hasn't proved himself to be a £40 mil player at all, let a lone a £30 mil player. Either way I think he will eventually go to Madrid, they have always been his proffered destination.

so apart from his consistent goalscoring in the french league his 4 goals in the champions league 2 seasons ago and his 5 in the champions league last season including an absolute belter against us make him worth how much do you think?

I'm not sure I agree. I think if Benzema wants to go to a specific club he'll get his move eventually.

As far as Lyon are concerned, from a purely financial point of view, this summer is the best time to sell with Real madrid and Man City driving player prices up. If Madrid/United or whoever else move on to other targets Lyon may be left with an unhappy player, who next summer, with one year less on his contract, may be worth less.

Chairmen and managers talk players up and say they won't be leaving to drive the price up, but the fact is often they may need to sell a particular player to fund their own transfers.
If Madrid try to take the piss I don't think they'll get their hands on the player. I think the same thing as happened with Villa can and will happen again as to come to the table with a derisory offer is tantamount to not taking the player or his club seriously.

It'd be a big slap in the face to the player who speaks of them in such glowing terms as well. Not that that would dissuade him, but it'd make all parties looking to take their slice (agent, club) rally against the move. The French guys on here are already saying there's an amount of ridicule towards the fee offered in the French press and I don't think it would be much different for Aulas, beings as Benzema is their jewel in the crown and prized asset.

It would be like RM approaching us with something daft for Ronaldo - we wouldn't sell to them 'just because'and it's not dissimilar to the silly saga involving Santa Cruz and the bitters. Blackburn didn't let him go until City coughed up the readies.

From Lyon's POV selling Benzema after a succesful WC would be more appealing than selling him now unless some of that silly money comes their way. If they aren't going to get a slice of the artificially inflated pie, they've got no reason to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.