Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

United 4 Life

Right. But the fact that both club and player representatives have mentioned us and us only has to be telling.
I think United have asked what his situation is and they are now confident they can get him for the right money.

For Benzema it is a win-win situation, he stays and he is happy with that or he goes to one of the world's best teams and develops and improves his abilities.

Denis' cuff

if there's anything in this it will be messy and drawn out. They got what was thought to be silly money for Essien at the time $24m and Benzema has a higher profile than Essien had back then. Also, they're drooling at the prospect of dipping into that $80m. I think they want to sell but it'll be a silly asking price and certainly not the $25/30m being bandied around the tabs.

tbh, I've only seen him when they've played us so don't reaaly know how good he is. Is he worth $30/40M?

talking robot

I think Benzema is coming to Old Trafford. He certainly seems more likely to come than Ribery, Villa, Aguero or Eto'o. I could see Vucinic transferring to us though.

Drifter

American
Maybe we can sign him with a view of letting him stay at Lyon for a season.But it's looking more likely that he will not be coming to OT in this transfer window.

Anduin

Maybe we can sign him with a view of letting him stay at Lyon for a season.But it's looking more likely that he will not be coming to OT in this transfer window.
He is a world-class talent, why should we pay something like 30m+ and leave him back in France? We would look like proper idiots.
If Benzema joins us he will be a super-signing. Mark my words.

Donut

I'm telling you guys, we're getting Benzema.

COCKS OUT!!!

United 4 Life

It looks more likely that he is going to come to OT in this transfer window.

It seems as if there is contact between the two clubs and it sounds as though Benzema would welcome a move to United.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Manchester United sign him for 35m then he will be playing regularly (rotating with Berbatov and Rooney).

anver

Shart stop
Dont understand why many here complain that because Benzema is not keen on United, we could have a problem with him here.

Remember Tevez? He was supposed to have been United mad. Saw what the prick did? Not that it matters much, because Fergie knows how much Tevez was worth; so he let him go, with a last minute appeal to him to stay back. That was for the benefit of the Tevez fanboys.

So, if Ben does come, and plays to his potential, he will be given the best of privileges. And after a few years, if he wishes to leave, then let him go. You wont get foreign players who'd dedicate their lives at United, like Ole.

Enigma_87

You know who
Dont understand why many here complain that because Benzema is not keen on United, we could have a problem with him here.

Remember Tevez? He was supposed to have been United mad. Saw what the prick did? Not that it matters much, because Fergie knows how much Tevez was worth; so he let him go, with a last minute appeal to him to stay back. That was for the benefit of the Tevez fanboys.

So, if Ben does come, and plays to his potential, he will be given the best of privileges. And after a few years, if he wishes to leave, then let him go. You wont get foreign players who'd dedicate their lives at United, like Ole.
And it isn't no1 priority by any means. Sure Ronaldo left and was never trully devoted like Ole, etc. But what the heck?
* Premier League: 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
* FA Cup: 2003–04
* League Cup: 2005–06, 2008–09
* FA Community Shield: 2007
* UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
* FIFA Club World Cup: 2008
I'd gladly take 5 years of Benzema and have him help achieving the same success.

Drifter

American
He is a world-class talent, why should we pay something like 30m+ and leave him back in France? We would look like proper idiots.
If Benzema joins us he will be a super-signing. Mark my words.
Who as said 30mil.Only the papers mention these figures.

Anduin

Who as said 30mil.Only the papers mention these figures.
The weak pound literally fecks us. Just two years ago I reckon a £25m bid would have done the job, because back then this figure was worth around 38m Euros. Essien for example moved for £24m (36m Euros back then), today it would be more like £32m.
We have to be prepared to pay mega-bucks if we want Benzema. £35m could be enough now (around 40m Euros), but we all know Aulas is superb at negotiating.

dev1l

The only thing players are mad about nowadays is their paycheque...

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
So, if United bid, Benzema will consider an offer. As things stand, with no one having bid, Benzema will be staying at Lyon - that is what the article is saying, right?

buckooo1978

He wants to stay in France for another year so that he can prepare for the World Cup and I think that Sir Alex knows this.

from his agent

gulli_G

So, if United bid, Benzema will consider an offer. As things stand, with no one having bid, Benzema will be staying at Lyon - that is what the article is saying, right?

seems like it, so a while ago Chelsea were trying for a swap for Essien. and now United are in for him at the front of the que.

:devil:

Woodzy

My understanding of this, is Benzema is simply saying he's happy to stay this season and won't kick up a fuss about leaving. His agent however seems to be inviting offers with "if a bid is made he will consider" thing.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
From what I am reading, Benzema is keeping both sides of the bed warm.

It is telling that his agent has come out and mentioned only United. The same can be said about the statement from the Lyon director.

Unusually, Lyon don't seem to be holding out for silly money either. By all accounts, a bid of around £30 million should secure him. Relative to the current market, you have to say that is a very good price. Actually less than what it would cost to keep Tevez here.

And, if you look at what we are actually getting with Benzema - pace, power, trickery, finishing - then it looks a snip. He is only young aswell. So when people talk about him having a dip in form we shouldn't criticise too much as its natural. Besides, 17 league goals in a bad season isn't bad.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I would love to see him at United BUT I think he would pull another Ronaldo with us if we sign him. He said he loves Madrid, Barca so whats the point. Secondly I just dont think this deal is gona happen as much as I wud like it to happen.
How many one club players are there any more, in reality?

It is highly unlikely any player signed these days will stay at United for their careers. By virtue of the simply fact we sign people, it proves these people are not one club people. You will get people who stay, but mostly they will be English players for english clubs, spanish players for spanish clubs etc.

As people have said, we got 6 years from Ronaldo. we also got 3 leagues, a CL, an FA Cup, two league cups etc. Sure, it would have been nice to see him at United for all of his career, but if you could turn the clock back, would you really say no to signing Ronaldo, after everything he helped us (massively) to win?

If we sign Benzema and get 5 years from him, or even 3 or 4 years - if we are succesful in those years is it really a bad thing? Especially if he is sold at a profit after that time?

If you confine a transfer search to players you are almost certain would stay at United for the rest of their careers, it would be a very short list of people imo.

It is, imo, simply unrealistic and impractical to base a transfer strategy on such ideas, certainly in the modern game.

fergieisold

How many one club players are there any more, in reality?

It is highly unlikely any player signed these days will stay at United for their careers. By virtue of the simply fact we sign people, it proves these people are not one club people. You will get people who stay, but mostly they will be English players for english clubs, spanish players for spanish clubs etc.

As people have said, we got 6 years from Ronaldo. we also got 3 leagues, a CL, an FA Cup, two league cups etc. Sure, it would have been nice to see him at United for all of his career, but if you could turn the clock back, would you really say no to signing Ronaldo, after everything he helped us (massively) to win?

If we sign Benzema and get 5 years from him, or even 3 or 4 years - if we are succesful in those years is it really a bad thing? Especially if he is sold at a profit after that time?

If you confine a transfer search to players you are almost certain would stay at United for the rest of their careers, it would be a very short list of people imo.

It is, imo, simply unrealistic and impractical to base a transfer strategy on such ideas, certainly in the modern game.
Of course a brilliant and loyal player that's going to stay at the club is better than one who will leave after a few years. But it gets silly if we as a club refuse to go for brilliant talent just incase they 'do a ronaldo'.

I'd take Benzema even if he were to leave in a few years and it would be worth it! :devil:

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Is it just me or are all these conversations constantly being recycled? Everyone is just discussing the same points again and again.. FFS do people even read what is posted in the thread atleast back to a day or 2 ago?

Lot 49

Doom
I would love to see him at United BUT I think he would pull another Ronaldo with us if we sign him. He said he loves Madrid, Barca so whats the point. Secondly I just dont think this deal is gona happen as much as I wud like it to happen.
The point is to have good players so we win things, it's not that complicated.

People need to start explaining to me why they think we should only sign players who want to stay at United until they retire because I just don't get it at all.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The point is to have good players so we win things, it's not that complicated.

People need to start explaining to me why they think we should only sign players who want to stay at United until they retire because I just don't get it at all.
I don't get it either.

Not least because the footballer who has prompted this radical re-think of our transfer strategy has been arguably our most important player over three of the most successful years in the history of the club.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
As Ericano7 would say, yes! Yes pleaseeeee

I bet Sir Alex is talking to karim as I type this.

Fergie: 'The weather? It's ney fecking botha' 80% confident

Status
Not open for further replies.