Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Brad and fergie, you are both right, Benzema should rather go to United and try to prove himself there, but I think he lacks a bit of self-confidence. Besides it is always risky to change environment and all, the guy has never played anywhere else than in Lyon.

fergieisold

What better way to secure it than go to a top team and perform there?

I think this not willing to move now thing is bollocks, have a bit of fecking ambition lad
Was just saying it's baffling how he doesn't want to move. If he cited loyalty or a love of lyon then fair enough but his reasons are that he is pretty much scared of not getting to the world cup. It feels like a lack of ambition or he is shitting himself at leaving the 'big fish in a small pond' environment he has at Lyon.

Mainoldo

It's more fright than anything else as he's more likely to be a have successful season for Lyon than for United where he could be on the bench, rotated ...
He has an insane pressure on his shoulders now with the emergence of André-Pierre Gignac the top goalscorer this season, places for the WC (if France is qualified) will be expensive and he wants to be very cautious about it
So by moving wouldn't he increases his chances over him. He has more chance to lose by staying and competing on the same level. Aint Gignac the guy that wanted to be the new Cantona?

Fergies Formula

another twist in the tale.... some contact must have been made for all this noise to be coming out their camp. Ferguson is the king of persuasion and be sure that if they did accept an offer he would get his man. Looks quite likely I think IF these stories are to be believed.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Benzema does not bear Lyon not the French league dearly in his heart. He has stated numerous times that he does not follow the Ligue 1, rather watching la Liga and the PL.

However it is understandable that he wishes some stability to perform well on a regular basis, a thing he lacked this season.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was just saying it's baffling how he doesn't want to move. If he cited loyalty or a love of lyon then fair enough but his reasons are that he is pretty much scared of not getting to the world cup. It feels like a lack of ambition or he is shitting himself at leaving the 'big fish in a small pond' environment he has at Lyon.
Don't think it's a lack of ambition at all. He's still only 21 years old. Another season of guaranteed first-team football is his best chance of getting into the French XI for the WCC. If he's confident enough in his own abilities he'll think he can have an impressive tournament and take his pick of Europe's best teams the following season (he's already said his dream is to play in Spain - if Real or Barca don't come in for him now, he might prefer to wait).

Staying put sounds like a very sensible decision.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
At least Benzema is frank, he clearly stated he is not dreaming of United and would rather play for one of the two Spanish top dogs.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So by moving wouldn't he increases his chances over him. He has more chance to lose by staying and competing on the same level. Aint Gignac the guy that wanted to be the new Cantona?
I'm not really sure about that.
Maybe he asks himself what would the worst case scenario be if I move to United/Madrid/Barca/...
Less playing time than in France and less chances of being part of the squad for the WC never mind the starting line-up which is his true goal.It's all speculation from me but at least it's how I can see him think.Besides he could also ask himself "why the urge to move abroad when I could do wonders in France again and cement my place in the national team ?"

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that Karim is leaving all his options open. If Lyon accepts an offer from Manchester United then he would leave, if not, then he could stay with his head held high. Lyon aren't stupid. They know that one bad season may mean that their player's price would drop by 10 - 20m. Young players are forgotten very quickly and if Barca takes Villa, Real Ibra, Chelsea Aguero and we end up with another striker then there will be very little competition for Benzema.

fergieisold

Don't think it's a lack of ambition at all. He's still only 21 years old. Another season of guaranteed first-team football is his best chance of getting into the French XI for the WCC. If he's confident enough in his own abilities he'll think he can have an impressive tournament and take his pick of Europe's best teams the following season (he's already said his dream is to play in Spain - if Real or Barca don't come in for him now, he might prefer to wait).

Staying put sounds like a very sensible decision.
It's just a bit unusual I think, not that he might not move to United, but that he wants to stick with Lyon when he (apparently) has said he prefers other leagues. Anyway, from the sounds of things Lyon are selling him so he's got to go somewhere.

Fergies Formula

He has given mixed messages which cover all bases, ive read that he would like to play for united before, as he would Madrid and Barca which we all know about, so we have a chance, contrary to what some might believe.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
obviously we've got a chance!

He'd near double his wages for starters!
considering the recent strength of the euro, and the new 50% tax rate in the UK, i wouldnt be so sure that our pay rates are that competitive anymore.

gulli_G

He is speaking of staying, but that could also be a way to appease fans, then if Lyon accept the offer, he can say he left to help the club financially.

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
I'm not too keen on him. He could be great, but I don't think I would want another saga (about going to Real) in 2 years time. He would be a massive risk and one that would probably set us back about £40 mil. Not worth it IMO. He seems to have ability, but he is still young and hasn't done anything of real note for his country. On top of that he may not adapt to English football well.

Mainoldo

benzema is the highest paid player in ligue 1.

5 million euro's a year.

he'd be lucky to get even a 20% wage bump from us.

So he's on around 100 euro's a week... for a 21 year old playing in France i very much doubt it!! If he is no wonder why Lyon are listening!!

Mainoldo

I'm not too keen on him. He could be great, but I don't think I would want another saga (about going to Real) in 2 years time. He would be a massive risk and one that would probably set us back about £40 mil. Not worth it IMO. He seems to have ability, but he is still young and hasn't done anything of real note for his country. On top of that he may not adapt to English football well.
Don't worry about that, if it happens it happens!! Spurs fans have been going through it from us for the past 3 years! :)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Manchester United Must Wait Another Year For Karim Benzema - Agent

Spanish gold might be burning a hole in their back pocket, but the Red Devils may be forced to wait until they can make a cross-Channel signing...

21 Jun 2009 22:26:37

Manchester United are reportedly keen to sign highly-rated Olympique Lyonnais forward Karim Benzema, with the impending departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid, and the likely exit of Carlos Tevez to either Chelsea or Manchester City, leaving manager Alex Ferguson short on striking power.

However, the Frenchman is seemingly in no hurry to leave Lyon just yet, with his agent, Karim Djaziri, confirming that the player has fixed his attentions this year on appearing for his homeland in next summer's South African World Cup, and does not necessarily want to jeopardise those ambitions by moving to a club where he would need to establish himself.

"Karim is on holiday at the moment and he is not thinking of moving," Djaziri is reported as saying by The Daily Telegraph.

"He wants to stay in France for another year so that he can prepare for the World Cup and I think that Sir Alex knows this.

"Perhaps he wants to make an offer to Lyon. If that happens, then Karim will think about it, but as things stand, Karim wants to stay with Lyon for another year."

With Ferguson facing a potentially angry response from fans should Tevez join Cristiano Ronaldo on his way out of the Old Trafford exit door, United may be forced to spend even more money than they intended in order to sway the 21-year-old into crossing the Channel and moving to the Premier League.
cocks back in.

HsJ

We can't sit here and assume every big player will leave us and go to Real. People are allowed to change their mind. Sign him. If he leaves in 6 years like Ronaldo, then thats fine, 6 years of service is more than about 60% of the players who come to United.

United 4 Life

As with Valencia, it seems as if Lyon want us to make a bid.

I am not saying he is going to sign 100%, but transfers these days are all about timing and nothing else. Lyon seem to have been caught up by some teams in france, and if Benzema has one bad season his value is not going to stay at around 40-45m pounds. (as someone already mentioned).

His agents say that if United make a bid, Benzema is going to think about it.

In other words, United have not made a formal bid but if they do Benzema is going to leave Lyon. Lyon know that United have money to spend and this is going to be the perfect chance for them to get a huge figure for Benzema.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I think we should be very careful about how we confront this we dont want to approach it like we need him, or it will turn into another Ronaldo. let him know he is welcome but dont relentlessly pursue him or he will get an inflated ego.

fatboy

Benzema is one of the few players Fergie has publicly stated an interest in, or at least "admiration". So it'll be no surprise if we do go for him. The funds are there, and for whatever reason interest from other big clubs seem lukewarm at best. Real is probably his desired destination, but i'm not sure he fits into the "galactico" policy, despite being recognised as one with huge potential.

Even if his agent is suggesting otherwise, this might be the best time to go for him. He won't come cheap though, and I doubt Aulas will drop his price beyond a certain point anyway, so it makes little difference. I haven't watched him enough to know his quality, so I won't comment on how much I'd want him in the team.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Some new (?) stuff from a foreign site. Can't really be sure if it's new, the translation probably/might have screwed it up but it sounds it.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...67474%26catid%3D45&sl=vi&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

(VnMedia) - This is the Bernard Lacome - consultation transfer to Lyon's Club confirmed. Money in the French karim Benzema is like to try in the season at Man Utd remit.

In the past, a lot teams have contacted the club Lyon to get the signature of the money karim Bezema such as Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barca.
However, Man Utd to jump racing club Lyon have made the change.Moreover, self Bezema karim also recognize that each is his wish to play soccer at Old Trafford.

Recently, Lacomba - advice for the transfer of Lyon club chairman Jean-Michel Aulas has declared that Lyon and Man Utd will meet to discuss "sales" karim Benzema transfer in the summer of this year.

"We will speak to Man Utd in next time on the case of Bezema. Previously, Lyon have been negotiating with Chelsea to exchange money to Michael Essien. We will agree to Benzema to Stamford Bridge and return Michael Essien will go to Lyon. However, at this point is not to Chelsea Essien out and we're only talking to Man Utd but "Lacomba said.

United 4 Life

By the sounds of all the noise being made by the Lyon camp it seems as though Benzema has told them he wants to go to Old Trafford. (or prefers to go there).

I remember a couple of years back, the Lyon president said he would help Benzema go to the team he wants when the time came or something like that.

Anduin

Moreover, self Bezema karim also recognize that each is his wish to play soccer at Old Trafford.

"We will speak to Man Utd in next time on the case of Bezema. Previously, Lyon have been negotiating with Chelsea to exchange money to Michael Essien. We will agree to Benzema to Stamford Bridge and return Michael Essien will go to Lyon. However, at this point is not to Chelsea Essien out and we're only talking to Man Utd but "Lacomba said.
This bit is quite interesting. If true Benzema wants to come to us and we're definitely interested. Fingers crossed there is any substance in this article...

Alex

He wouldn't go to City, he's too good for them, unlike cough cough Tevez

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
"He wants to stay in France for another year so that he can prepare for the World Cup and I think that Sir Alex knows this.

Cock just shrank back one thirds. Fact.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I'm surprised they want to sell Benzema for something about £30-35m.

Aulas seemed to be a cnut, wanted massive amount of money for this player, but I really didn't expect £30m.

United 4 Life

Aulas seemed to be a cnut, wanted massive amount of money for this player, but I really didn't expect £30m.
If I was Aulas, I would demand massive amounts of money. Why wouldn't he, his a great player with huge potential.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

That's a huge amount for a 21 year old though

prateik

cocks back in.
thats just saying he wont push for a move away from lyon just yet

if united make and offer and lyon accept,the he will think about it ....

isnt that how transfers usually happen .. not everyone does a ronaldo

JCurr

Right. But the fact that both club and player representatives have mentioned us and us only has to be telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.