Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then benched for the big games?

I just don't see it working.

Who knows? As we are being hypothetical, Ferguson may change the system with new player/s to accomodate Rooney/Benzema.

I don't think it'll happen though

One player? Trust me i've wathced the liked of Di Canio, Cadete, Van Hoijdonk, Negri, Flo, Mcdonald etc etc etc come up here and look like the best in the world. Scottish league is good at that.

Even Anthony Stokes has managed to go to the Scottish league and look like a quality striker. Even Robbie Keane looks a hero.

The same Rangers team that got beat at home 4-1 by Unirea Urziceni?

It was actually the same Rangers team which reached the UEFA Cup Final, not the makeshift outfit which got pummelled in Europe this season. Most of those strikers you mentioned were successful (or even more successful) in other leagues. Either way, the 4000 posts on Benzema aren't a result of him making light work of David Weir.

The champions league is the highest level and Benzema proved himself in it. You're clutching at straws here.

The wankathon is in your head. Benzema is not just mere potential. He is a genuinely top talent in the right hands. People are just stating the obvious.

This thread has 4553 replies, 4554 if you count this one.

Consider the purpose of this thread and the people perpetuating it.

If this isn't a wank-a-thon I'm a monkeys uncle.

You couldn't possibly have watched any Scottish game and thought that Flo looked like the best in the world because he was gash up here.

Di Canio left Celtic and did it in the EPL, heavily linked with United at one time. Two of the defenders that played against Benzema that night are now plying their trade in the EPL, and lest we forget that Rangers beat Lyon 3-0 earlier that season.

I'm not suggesting the Scottish Premier is of a mind-boggingly high standard, but just because one of Benzema's stand out performances was against Rangers doesn't mean it should be written off.

Ok Flo maybe was a bad example but the rest stands. Di Canio was a classy player but he was easily in the top 3 in Scotland and it wasn't the case when he went south. I just wouldn't rely on a performance against Rangers as a reason why he should be seen as brilliant.

Lets be honest if the likes of Messi or Ronaldo went to Scotland they would be scoring 70+ goals a season it's really nothing to write home about.

It was actually the same Rangers team which reached the UEFA Cup Final, not the makeshift outfit which got pummelled in Europe this season. Most of those strikers you mentioned were successful (or even more successful) in other leagues. Either way, the 4000 posts on Benzema aren't a result of him making light work of David Weir.

UEFA cup final or not they wern't sizzling hot in Europe that year with luck playing a huge part in getting there.

Look i'm not downplaying Rangers but this is a player talked about as potentially good enough for Man Utd i'm just saying I don't think you can use games against Rangers or Celtic for that matter as a yardstick. In the premiership in and big games for us he will be facing far better teams.

Last summer I would have been happy infact overjoyed to get him here just for the fact of how highly rated he was and that Fergie obviously agreed.
Having watched him this year at Real I just havn't seen anything from him to suggest he has the talent he was made out to have. People say yes but he was good at Lyon but it's a different ask to step up and play for one of the really big clubs. He would be faced with that here and so far the signs of how he has done at Real it doesn't look to promising.

People take it the wrong way I'd say. Sometimes you'd think that playing in Scotland at some point of your career or, God forbid, scoring a goal against a Scottish side in European competition, makes you a bad player. There's always talk about how poor those teams are and how anyone could do that.

Scoring a brace against Rangers or finish a top scorer in Scotland for that matter doesn't make you a bad player. Of course, chances are, you'd still not be the best in the world but it does prove that you're capable of certain things and, if anything, it shows that you're a good player.

UEFA cup final or not they wern't sizzling hot in Europe that year with luck playing a huge part in getting there.

Look i'm not downplaying Rangers but this is a player talked about as potentially good enough for Man Utd i'm just saying I don't think you can use games against Rangers or Celtic for that matter as a yardstick. In the premiership in and big games for us he will be facing far better teams.

Last summer I would have been happy infact overjoyed to get him here just for the fact of how highly rated he was and that Fergie obviously agreed.
Having watched him this year at Real I just havn't seen anything from him to suggest he has the talent he was made out to have. People say yes but he was good at Lyon but it's a different ask to step up and play for one of the really big clubs. He would be faced with that here and so far the signs of how he has done at Real it doesn't look to promising.

Rangers were very tough to beat that season, if I remember correctly they conceded only a goal or two in six games prior to the UEFA Cup Final, in which they were deservedly battered by a superb Zenit side. They were awful to watch because they set up so defensively it was impossible that season, but they were certainly solid at the back and no one expected Lyon to score 3 at Ibrox that night.

People say "He has not proven himself at Madrid"

ok neither did Robben or Sneijder and look at them now.

Since when did the the experienced football scout in us all start judging players whether or not they made it at madrid? Because honestly, no matter how good you are at Madrid you wont get praise for it. Look at Higuain, freescoring all season and the shit he is getting and putting him up for sale. The "bench players" such as Benzema have to displace a free scoring Higuian and Ronaldo. Now how often do you see the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo on the bench? These players play whenever fit. If Benzema had a hat trick at the weekend he would be on the bench a week later.

If Real did sign Villa, would that force Benzema out?

I think either him or Higuain will definitely leave this Summer, neither suits the Galactico image that Perez has created and they will definitely want to have Galactico strikers at the club instead of two solid young players. I think they will go after Villa and probably Rooney (he won't move) in the Summer as Torres would never go there.

People take it the wrong way I'd say. Sometimes you'd think that playing in Scotland at some point of your career or, God forbid, scoring a goal against a Scottish side in European competition, makes you a bad player. There's always talk about how poor those teams are and how anyone could do that.

Scoring a brace against Rangers or finish a top scorer in Scotland for that matter doesn't make you a bad player. Of course, chances are, you'd still not be the best in the world but it does prove that you're capable of certain things and, if anything, it shows that you're a good player.

Please don't take it as saying only bad players play there. There have been other good players to come out of Scotland even Arteta recently who surprised me how good he was down south. But it does have a habit of making good players look great players.

Fletcher at Burnley was getting talked about for Real Madrid last year at Hibs. Would people entertain this having seen him in England? Kenny Miller second or 3rd top scored I think has shown it's easier to play up here. Boyd is another who even although he is great in the SPL and scored truckloads I suspect would be just another decent player in England.

So it shows sign of good players yes but really no comparison to how they will be when faced with the top teams and players in the world.

Please don't take it as saying only bad players play there. There have been other good players to come out of Scotland even Arteta recently who surprised me how good he was down south. But it does have a habit of making good players look great players.

Fletcher at Burnley was getting talked about for Real Madrid last year at Hibs. Would people entertain this having seen him in England? Kenny Miller second or 3rd top scored I think has shown it's easier to play up here. Boyd is another who even although he is great in the SPL and scored truckloads I suspect would be just another decent player in England.

So it shows sign of good players yes but really no comparison to how they will be when faced with the top teams and players in the world.

To be fair Kenny Miller was never a top striker there, and he played at an absolutely rubbish Derby side here, a team that was only capable of beating Newcastle in the entire season, and they only scored 20 goals that season. No one would score goals for that team, I mean they were pure comedy.

Same goes for Fletcher, he was unfortunate to go to a poor Burnley side because he'd probably look better elsewhere. Agree that all this Real Madrid talk was nonsense and they probably still don't realize that such player exists but he wasn't exactly a world beater in Scotland either.

Of course most of Scottish league players are as bad as it gets but it still doesn't prevent some of the former players from over there from being a bit good.

To be fair Kenny Miller was never a top striker there, and he played at an absolutely rubbish Derby side here, a team that was only capable of beating Newcastle in the entire season, and they only scored 20 goals that season. No one would score goals for that team, I mean they were pure comedy.

Same goes for Fletcher, he was unfortunate to go to a poor Burnley side because he'd probably look better elsewhere. Agree that all this Real Madrid talk was nonsense and they probably still don't realize that such player exists but he wasn't exactly a world beater in Scotland either.

Of course most of Scottish league players are as bad as it gets but it still doesn't prevent some of the former players from over there from being a bit good.

Yeah but he had a chance for Wolves aswell and failed to produce really. I remember watching Miller in his early days at Hibs and he looked like one of the best players I had seen for them really promising talent. Would he be in the top 3 scorers down in England not a chance.

I'm not saying you don't get good players out of Scotland or some good teams from time to time(Celtic and Rangers) i'm just saying I have watched players tear the Scottish league apart making it look so easy then struggling against bigger teams elsewhere. It's hard to compare and judge.

Anyway back on topic before this turns into a debate about Scottish football.

Higuain or Benzema if given the choice?

Higuain for me.

Higuain or Benzema if given the choice?

Higuain for me.

I think Higuain would go to Man City to pick up insane money on offer there with his other Argie buddy there. So no chance of geting him. Benzema on the other hand has far more potential for me than Higuain who has already proably reached his peak as a player and Benzema might be interested in going to a club that is good with developing young players so I would have him over Higuain any day of the week but lets face it....neither of them are coming!

Real Madrid Star Karim Benzema: My Body Needs To Play More
The French youngster wants to stay at Madrid forever...

By Paul Madden
May 3, 2010 11:24:00 PM
Real Madrid Star Karim Benzema: My Body Needs To Play More - Goal.com
Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema has stated that he needs to play more regularly to keep himself in good physical shape.

The French forward also revealed that settling into life in Madrid has proved difficult but insisted that he intends to stay with los Merengues and promised that the best is yet to come from him in terms of form.

"I feel very good, but my body is better if I play more. I need to play more to feel better, it is essential for me, for my speed. I can do better, but I need to play more to interact with the whole group. Now I feel better," he told AS.

"I came here alone and my adaptation was difficult. I spent three months in a hotel but ow I live in my house with a friend. This is best for me and it shows on the pitch.

"My adaptation is still difficult, but I have plenty of time left because I signed for seven years. Next season will be the best Benzema. My dream was to sign for Real Madrid and now that I have, I want to stay forever."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He just aint coming despite what The Sun and Mirror are going to keep saying unless Real have to offload him for Villa but even if they buy Villa he will probably stay!!!

When are people going to realise he does not want to play here and players like that we dont need or want

Yeah he's not coming here, my worry is that he might be the only top striker Fergie is interested in.

Get him on loan. Arrange for him to live next door to Evra. Try not to laugh when he requests a full transfer sometime during the first week of August. It's simple, really, except for the laughing part.

"My dream was to sign for Real Madrid and now that I have, I want to stay forever."

Thread closed?

No!

When the feck will you people learn? There are not many players that want to leave the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man United etc.. Its that the club want to get rid of them.. I do not understand how people have said he has been a failure at Madrid? He has barely been given any playing time after his injury.. He was doing well in the beginning and lets not forget the competition for places at Real Madrid.. He not only has to compete with Higuain, Ronaldo, & Kaka but he also has to play second fiddle on the bench to Raul..

If Real go out and sign another Striker and a Winger (that they need IMO) he can easily be the one pushed out the door.. How many players have Real Madrid moved on despite them wanting to stay? Robben, Sneijder, Hierro, Campo etc etc. The list is endless..

It is quite obvious that Benzema wants to stay and its is even more obvious that he is saying all this stuff because he knows/thinks his neck is going to be on the line this summer.. So he is merely trying his best to stay at a club where he knows his future is just uncertain.. Please take note that he has not yet been told he is surplus to requirements IMO.. Which makes his behaviour all the more understandable.. If he was told he is either safe or surplus he would not have to come out every other week and respond to all the speculation..

Also we have discussed in detail about his positioning.. All those that have watched him and seen him on a regular basis have come to the conclusion that he can play in both a 442 and a 433.. Albeit not his preferred position as a wide man in a front 3 he can more than do a job there..

Also I don't understand how or when it was hard-coded that 433/451 is our "preferred" formation? We IMO are only playing that way to deal with the personnel we have at the club or lack thereof.. Many suggest that we go not have a Midfield 2 that can cope in the big games.. (I disagree! But that's a different issue) it pretty evident that SAF does not have faith in playing Berbatov and Rooney up-top in 442.. So its either the fact that we don't have 2 CM's that cope with playing a 442 against big sides (which can be dealt with in the summer by either buying player or not due to the fact that we have Anderson and Hargreaves that will be back for next season) Or that we don't have another striker who can play in a 442.. Which can only be solved by buying another striker that can - 'cause its 'apparently' become obvious that neither Owen or Berbatov can play with Rooney and with the likes of Macheda needing experience Hernandez being untested in the PL and the likes of Diouf and Welbeck in need of 1st team football and a possible loan on the cards..

All those saying they do not want the likes of Benzema here will be the one over the moon if we actually pull of this Transfer Coup (Yes it most certainly would be a Coup) Although the chances of this transfer going through are very slim I will not lose hope and take the easy way out to sit on my high horse and say "We will NEVER see him in a united shirt".

If he doesn't like playing out wide how would he fit into our system?

One might hope that Fergie see some sense and buy a top class midfielder which enables us to play 4-4-2.

No, not Milner.

You can't judge anyone on performances against Rangers Scottish football has surely showed over the years it's ability to make average players look like world beaters.

He was also outstanding against Bayern Munich in Germany.He did perform in the CL in a way you would rarely see players of his age do.He knew he was Lyon's most important player and so young too but he took the responsibility really well.
About the question between Higuain or Benzema ? Based on current it's so easy to say Higuain but based on room for improvement I'd go with Benzema.He's a better all round player than Higuain but he hasn't showed enough of it.
Higuain is oozing with confidence and that's the main difference between, if Benzema can get some we might see he's superior player to Higuain

He was also outstanding against Bayern Munich in Germany.He did perform in the CL in a way you would rarely see players of his age do.He knew he was Lyon's most important player and so young too but he took the responsibility really well.
About the question between Higuain or Benzema ? Based on current it's so easy to say Higuain but based on room for improvement I'd go with Benzema.He's a better all round player than Higuain but he hasn't showed enough of it.
Higuain is oozing with confidence and that's the main difference between, if Benzema can get some we might see he's superior player to Higuain

Aye. If Benzema fulfills his potential he'd be a much better player than Higuain.

After watching almost all of Real's games this year I can say that Higuain's majority of goals have come from well timed through balls that puts him 1v1 with the keeper. He doesn't have the pace to trouble defenses but is a clinical finisher, well most of the time.

Benzema on the other hand is a better dribbler and passer of the ball. He seems to not be lacking in the speed department until he found himself unfit and a little hefty!

He won't be leaving them this summer. Raul is leaving and Perez wants shot of Higuain because he's a player from the previous regime who's outshining his own "Galacticos". So if Villa does come in. They'd have Benzema and Villa as their only two recognised strikers. Heck they could land Pato and he'd still only be one of three strikers at the club, they'd all get plenty of playing time. Right now Raul gets his obligatory minutes on the pitch every match because of the fact he's RAUL. Once he's out of the picture, Benzema will get a lot more playing time.

Move on. He clearly sees Madrid as the only club to be at.

After watching almost all of Real's games this year I can say that Higuain's majority of goals have come from well timed through balls that puts him 1v1 with the keeper. He doesn't have the pace to trouble defenses but is a clinical finisher, well most of the time.

Benzema on the other hand is a better dribbler and passer of the ball. He seems to not be lacking in the speed department until he found himself unfit and a little hefty!
If you're implying that Higuain can't make his own goals then you clearly haven't seen him much in the last two seasons. Yes he gets the types of goals you've described but those have not been his type of goals exclusively and that's what a good striker should be doing with his movement. Heck Rooney's got tap ins and headers from a few yards out this season, does that mean he's anything other than world class.

If you're implying that Higuain can't make his own goals then you clearly haven't seen him much in the last two seasons. Yes he gets the types of goals you've described but that's what a good striker should be doing with his movement. Heck Rooney's got tap ins and headers from a few yards out, does that mean he's anything other than world class?

I never said he cant make his own goals I was merely stating that this year most of his goals are where hes is put on goal. He isnt going to run at a defense and be able to break them down like the Benzema of old did.

He won't be leaving them this summer. Raul is leaving and Perez wants shot of Higuain because he's a player from the previous regime who's outshining his own "Galacticos". So if Villa does come in. They'd have Benzema and Villa as their only two recognised strikers. Heck they could land Pato and he'd still only be one of three strikers at the club, they'd all get plenty of playing time. Right now Raul gets his obligatory minutes on the pitch every match because of the fact he's RAUL. Once he's out of the picture, Benzema will get a lot more playing time.

Move on. He clearly sees Madrid as the only club to be at.

Quotes?

:lol: This thread. Brilliant. He has never wanted to come here. Before he joined Madrid he kept saying he'd rather play in Spain or Italy than come to us, when we went in for him last summer. He had a chance to say he wanted to play for us but instead his dream club came along and he went with them. Now he has said he is at his dream club and wants to stay for life. Move on he doesn't want to play for us.

It was mentioned a fair few times on match commentary that it was common knowledge that he was off to the MLS. Is that not the case then?

The Higuain thing is common knowledge amongst everyone. Perez has never wanted him there and he'd get rid in the summer, with city more than likely being the club to benefit. You can hold me to that, if I'm wrong.

It was mentioned a fair few times on match commentary that it was common knowledge that he was off to the MLS. Is that not the case then?

The Higuain thing is common knowledge amongst everyone. Perez has never wanted him there and he'd get rid in the summer, with city more than likely being the club to benefit. You can hold me to that, if I'm wrong.

As far as both of those being common knowledge goes, they aren't! I think your just taking rumours and misreading them as common knowledge.. I doubt they will EVER get rid of Raul unless he wants to leave or he retires.. As far as Higuain is concerned they will be stupid to get rid of him considering he is one of their best players.. So I doubt either of those two will be off this summer..

I'd love to see us splashing on Gourcuff.

:lol:

NSFW maybe

tia-ling-huge-facial.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.