Film Justice League

Amarsdd

Not to trad on his toes, but I believe Mockney's main point was that this film doesn't provide any entertainment.
Ok, tbh I just go off work, and right now my reading comprehension is barely a quarter of what it should be.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
At the risk of turning this into MCU Vs DCEU, I like the Snyder cut, but it doesn't follow any unique formula different to marvel like some are trying to suggest. A sort of different tone, not in dialogue but certainly in cinematography, but the formula is the same. Baddie comes, baddie gets the the upper hand, looks like baddie has won, something/someone comes to save the day, until next time. It's just as predicable if not moreso, superman saves the day, because superman.

This just managed to drag it out for 4 hours.

Ekeke

Not to trad on his toes, but I believe Mockney's main point was that this film doesn't provide any entertainment.
Wouldnt the amount of people who have already decided to spend 4 hours watching it shit on that idea?

For example I tried to watch the Venom movie and I had to stop watching after a bit. I couldn't take the cringe level overload, it wasn't for me at all despite several attempts to continue watching. For me thats a superhero movie that provided me with no entertainment, but thats me. I can't speak for what other people find entertaining, I'm not cosplaying as Lex Luthor on a forum and pretending I need to make that decision for the greater good of mankind. I didn't like Britney Spears music either but loads of people bought it and thought it was entertaining.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wouldnt the amount of people who have already decided to spend 4 hours watching it shit on that idea?

For example I tried to watch the Venom movie and I had to stop watching after a bit. I couldn't take the cringe level overload, it wasn't for me at all despite several attempts to continue watching. For me thats a superhero movie that provided me with no entertainment, but thats me. I can't speak for what other people find entertaining, I'm not cosplaying as Lex Luthor on a forum and pretending I need to make that decision for the greater good of mankind. I didn't like Britney Spears music either but loads of people bought it and thought it was entertaining.
Sidenote, personally think Eisenberg is a terrible Lex Luthor.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Find it frustrating watching this because now I actually want to see where they we’re going with the wasteland etc. Genuinely a really interesting story.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Look, I’ve watched the entirety of Rissoli & Isles in lockdown, this was a piece of cake.
My point was merely the idea that Superhero films should be uncritically enjoyed or ignored is a nonsense in a world that is about 40% superhero films, and some of them are genuinely good and win awards now!

You fecking won nerds, stop being ridiculously fragile about it!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Overall decent flick, I think they could have made it two films and perhaps changed it up a little where superman and darkseid are back for part 2.

Andy_Cole

I don't think anyone said you're not allowed to watch it and not like it and even criticize it. I just feel it's better to go into these movies expecting from it for what it is, a mindless joyride with a decent bit of storytelling, character building, and sometimes humor sprinkled on top of it. And not go into it expecting Oscar-worthy storytelling and performances, and having those expectations shattered. It's just that there is a place for these movies and a place for the Three Colours Trilogy, Goddard films, and the likes. No point mixing expectations between these. Just keep them compartmentalized when watching them. Well, that's just what I think. But hey, I'm no movie connoisseur, I just watch movies for enjoyment in whatever form it provides it.
Amen

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I don't think anyone said you're not allowed to watch it and not like it and even criticize it. I just feel it's better to go into these movies expecting from it for what it is, a mindless joyride with a decent bit of storytelling, character building, and sometimes humor sprinkled on top of it. And not go into it expecting Oscar-worthy storytelling and performances, and having those expectations shattered. It's just that there is a place for these movies and a place for the Three Colours Trilogy, Goddard films, and the likes. No point mixing expectations between these. Just keep them compartmentalized when watching them. Well, that's just what I think. But hey, I'm no movie connoisseur, I just watch movies for enjoyment in whatever form it provides it.
Yet when someone like Scorsese correctly points this out, fans of comic book films lose their minds and call him a grumpy old man/movie snob. It seems a lot of people want to watch their big dumb superheroes movies but without anyone else pointing out that their watching a big dumb superhero movies.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

The thing I don’t get is the people shitting on the movie after watching all 4 hours, it obviously done something good to keep them watching as usually after 20 mins of a shit movie I’d have spaced out and decide to put something different on.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yet when someone like Scorsese correctly points this out, fans of comic book films lose their minds and call him a grumpy old man/movie snob. It seems a lot of people want to watch their big dumb superheroes movies but without anyone else pointing out that their watching a big dumb superhero movies.
Scorsese is a grumpy old man/movie snob.

He has a pretentious, archaic view of what is cinema, and the antimarvel/superhero brigade lap his shit up.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The thing I don’t get is the people shitting on the movie after watching all 4 hours, it obviously done something good to keep them watching as usually after 20 mins of a shit movie I’d have spaced out and decide to put something different on.
Not really, for three reasons (1) Hope, you genuinely hope it's going to get better and deliver on all the hype. Often it's hard to judge a movie without watching it in it's entirety. (2) Many people, like myself, often feel like they have to finish a film they've started, even if it's bad. (3) Being massive fans of Batman, Superman etc., you desperately look for those redeeming qualities, those moments where you can nerd out and revel in their character glory; all while in your heart you know it's a really shite film.

I've finished a lot of films that were really, really shite. Just recently, WW84. Not least because you still want to be able to talk about it to other fans afterwards.

Finally, there is entertainment value in watching trainwreck movies. That "how bad or stupid can this get" type appeal. There's plenty to discuss later.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The only takeaway from the film so far is Americans are uniquely dangerous drivers.
But apparently very calm once a crash has occurred. We see the girl react to her impending wreck, she then gets flung through the air towards impending death/dismemberment.....meanwhile in one of 11,437 slowmoes, her face is a picture of tranquility as she is flung deathward, like she is contemplating a stunning vista, or quietly farting in an elevator....our hero even has time to cutely tuck her hair back and revel in her beauty.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Come on mate, you could use that rationale for Guardians of the Galaxy, or Captain America (or the Lego movie FFS!) properties so ludicrous they shouldn’t have ever been able to make great movies out of, but did.... whereas this is a film whose central character has had Best Picture nominated films made from, and whose villain (who featured here, hilariously, and almost completely without justification) is tied with Vito Corleone as a character with multiple Oscar winning portrayals of... the “what did you expect?” stuff is moot here... bad movies are allowed to be called as bad movies... especially ones that need a 4hr cut to be good... but are somehow still incredibly bad!!

I live on planet comic book too... and I’m allowed to protest dammit!
Bit much calling those "great movies".

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I mean, for one, what else are we gonna do? We’ve all been locked down for a year watching telly, and this is a free (if you’ve got Sky) cultural curiosity that’s been bigged up as a grandiose cinematic spectacle, and two, this is an apparent vindication of Snyders vision? The whole point is apparently to get people who didn’t like the first one to watch it and appreciate how they were actually wrong, no?

Comic book fans are (in many ways tbf) like snowflake conservatives who despite being in complete control of all the machinations of power and media (in this case, the movie industry) also insisting that everyone needs to love them unquestioningly too, and whining about how anyone that doesn’t like it should leave the country! - except for when we can legitimately praise the handful of Marvel films, or Nolan and Mangold efforts that actually are good, then we’re allowed dispensation to praise it - but we should apparently shut up if we aren’t gonna give the crap stuff the same reverence!? In what other genre of film do fans of it tell people they shouldn’t have an opinion if they aren’t a mega fan? Who says “I don’t know why you even watch the Godfather trilogy, it’s too long and a waste of your time?”...No! feck you!!

Anyway, this is utter crap, and if anything I’ve come out of it with a much greater appreciation of Joss Whedon... at least he understands how the pacing of an actual movie should work. ‘Cos as @Dirty Schwein quite rightly pointed out from the get go, if you had to edit this down to the length and rhythms of an actual movie - a process that would necessitate losing context and adding in new connective beats - you’d end up with something that wasn’t remotely far removed from Whedon’s effort. Better shot and graded, undoubtedly, and there are a few things here and there you could point to as being better to have kept in, but essentially it’s the same movie, with the same plot!...a plot for one, 2hr movie!... I genuinely naively allowed myself to think that this could’ve been the result of Snyder having enough footage for 2 films, but it’s not at all! ...ITS THE SAME ONE FILM!

Even if you smashed the last 2 Avengers movies together for a similar run time, it’d still have the pacing and beats of two whole movies. With the appropriate peaks and troughs to guide the audience through it, whereas this is painfully evident as one movie, stretched interminably out beyond the capacity of normal human enjoyment. Is it “better?” ... Sure, as an understandable story, yeah. But as a film? It’s impossible to say, cos it isn’t a film. And if we’re gonna start judging films by whether they’re allowed to release 4hr versions to fully appreciate then this is an even bigger death knell for cinema than the fecking Coronavirus!

Anyway, dialogue is awful, straight out of a video game at numerous points, and it looks ugly as all sin... just a dirge of dark cloudy nonsense with weightless people bobbing about around it, occasionally interspersed with the worst actor they have (Gadot) giving terrible VO narration, lest this 4 hour film needed more time to fecking explain itself!... Even the one thing I did really like about BvS - the interesting and off kilter score - has been replaced by some unrelentingly generic “epic” orchestral nonsense, that often undercuts (or overcuts, if that’s even a thing) the scenes where it isn’t needed...

complete bollocks. Game’s gone.

P.S. if I get drunk enough, I have more to say... and you can’t stop me! That’s exactly how Nazi Germany started!
The weirdest thing about this being 4 hours, is that it doesn’t even have the requisite beats to make a well structured 2hr version... to grudgingly use the Avengers comparison again, if you had to smash Infinity War and Endgame together, you’d still inevitably have that big “all is lost” moment where the heroes are soundly defeated in the 3rd act and need to rally themselves for one final last try (actually, you’d have about 3 of them, because the people who made those films knew how to structure) this thing just...doesn’t have that!

The closest we get is the Superman fight, which goes on for longer, but ultimately ends at the same place, where they lose the box but gain Superman, which was their plan all along! .... essentially nothing goes wrong for them, it just all happens very slowly... All the “how are going to achieve this insurmountable goal?” stuff is done in dialogue, with everyone standing around large dark rooms looking sad. Only now there’s more of that!

In hindsight the only thing wrong with Whedons version is that it looks shit, and the reshoots were very obviously done with a fat Affleck and a hairy Cavill...there was almost nothing he could’ve done to give the last act the proper gravitas it needed, because there just wasn’t enough stuff there.
Yeah... plus it looked terrible. Whedon is an immeasurably better writer, but a significantly inferior aesthetic filmmaker to Snyder. He shoots with a TV sensibility. Which is why until the likes of Waititi came along, the MCU could be quite reasonably accused of looking very flat and uncinematic.. (and for any DC fans who want equivalence, I also think the big fight at the end of Endgame looks like shit too)

Snyder shoots things dramatically, but without the emotional heft of good writing behind it, it amounts to little... which is why I still consider that famous circular hero shot in Avengers a much better bit of filmmaking than anything comparable in this, because despite it all looking a bit CW in its framing and colour grading, it’s driven by a writers eye for character... with each of them performing an action relevant to their persona as the camera swoops around them - and it coming at the precise point in the film where that kind of thing lands with a bang *

Whereas for all Snyder’s dark smokey bombast, his many, many attempts at an equivalent shot here are simply just some uncomfortable looking people standing in a line, in slow motion... often at largely unemotional points in the narrative.

Whedon’s additions were mostly for the worse, yeah, but now we’ve seen everything he had to work with (and I’m pretty sure we have seen EVERYTHING!) and knowing he was tasked with making it less dour and more Marvel-y, it’s hard to imagine anyone who could’ve done a significantly better job in the circumstances.. of the story, at least. Snyders version would’ve been more cinematic and more tonally consistent, but there’s no way it would’ve been the entirely different film we’ve been promised... because, well.. this isn’t! And it’s 4hours long!!

* to hammer this home, there’s even a point in this where Synder rotates the camera around all the heroes... but it’s in a scene where they’re all just standing in an aircraft hanger talking in that achingly unnatural way you get in films where each one completes the sentence of the one before... and it looks good, sure, but, so what?... it conveys nothing about the characters, and simply serves to make the 432nd exposition scene pass a little smoother.
I knew Mockney would turn up and give this a proper review. This movie was so bone jarringly shite, I just couldn't find the words to adequately express it, but as always Mockney crushed it. My favourite film critic.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Scorsese is a grumpy old man/movie snob.

He has a pretentious, archaic view of what is cinema, and the antimarvel/superhero brigade lap his shit up.
I'm not sure I fully agree with Scorsese but I do think think at some point there has to be some sort of view on what is and isn't cinema because otherwise everything can become cinema. The doritos advert before the film start is just as worthy as Tarkovsky.

Not to derail the thread too much and to get somewhat back on track. A poster criticised Justice League and was met with replies asking why was he trying put forward any analysis onto the film - it's a Zack Snyder comic book movie wtf was anyone expecting, it's a mindless joy ride! Which isn't that pretty much Scorese point ? That these comic book movies aren't cinema but are actually something closer to a theme park ride ? If Scorese has a pretentious, archaic view of cinema then it seems a lot of comic book fans agree with him.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

I think this could’ve easily been cut down to around 2:45-3 hours and retained all of the new character developments, and just about acceptable enough for a theatre release. The suits at WB did it no favour by insisting on the 2 hours runtime but you kinda sympathise with them because many many parts of this version is overindulged Snyder slo-mo fest + irrelevant, uninteresting scenes (like, do we need to see Bruce Wayne riding in the mountain for 5 min, or Lois getting coffee, twice?)

This is better than the Whedon’s cut purely because of the extra run time to flesh out Cyborg and Steppy character, and fits in with the then-existing grimdark universe Snyder built, but as an ensemble superhero film, it’s still closer to Suicide Squad rather than Infinity War.

Terminator

+1

I've seen someone refer to GOTG as a great film, it was nothing but a breezy comedic watch to me. I'd rate both GOTG and snyder cut 7/10 for different reasons. Would I ever watch it or Zach Snyder cut ever again? Feck no.

Pscholes18

Just finished it, I thought it was very good! Whedon can feck off. It was a nice change from all the Marvel shit. Can't wait for the sequel. But FFS put the fecking GL in it.

Sylar

h
Any other Marvel flick you think is a 'fantastic' movie?
This is a weird response quoting his opinion.
Unless you're of the opinion no marvel movie can be great / fantastic for some reason

He would have been a great Riddler. That's basically who he played anyway not Lex.
Agree with this. I know he's meant to be Luthor junior ( I think) but he comes off as a clown more than a genius

The only takeaway from the film so far is Americans are uniquely dangerous drivers.
And superheroes love damaging as much property as possible. The insurance payouts must be high

DM07

Planning to watch this tonight. Am I the only one who felt BvS was a much better movie than the original Justice league and not as bad as most people make it out to be. The Batman vs Superman angle was great, Luthor's scheming was interesting, Doomsday seemed a better and more dangerous villian than Steppenwolf and Wonder Woman's role was short enough to not realise Gadot's acting inabilities. JL on the other hand was so bad, all superheroes being beaten around easily by Steppenwolf and then superman wakes up and beats him inside a couple of minutes. Hopefully the Snyder cut is not that bad.

Sylar

I don't think anyone said you're not allowed to watch it and not like it and even criticize it. I just feel it's better to go into these movies expecting from it for what it is, a mindless joyride with a decent bit of storytelling, character building, and sometimes humor sprinkled on top of it.
You can go in with lower expectations and still be disappointed. See suicide Squad and ww84.

Yeah... plus it looked terrible. Whedon is an immeasurably better writer, but a significantly inferior aesthetic filmmaker to Snyder. He shoots with a TV sensibility. Which is why until the likes of Waititi came along, the MCU could be quite reasonably accused of looking very flat and uncinematic.. (and for any DC fans who want equivalence, I also think the big fight at the end of Endgame looks like shit too)

Snyder shoots things dramatically, but without the emotional heft of good writing behind it, it amounts to little... which is why I still consider that famous circular hero shot in Avengers a much better bit of filmmaking than anything comparable in this, because despite it all looking a bit CW in its framing and colour grading, it’s driven by a writers eye for character... with each of them performing an action relevant to their persona as the camera swoops around them - and it coming at the precise point in the film where that kind of thing lands with a bang *

Whereas for all Snyder’s dark smokey bombast, his many, many attempts at an equivalent shot here are simply just some uncomfortable looking people standing in a line, in slow motion... often at largely unemotional points in the narrative.

Whedon’s additions were mostly for the worse, yeah, but now we’ve seen everything he had to work with (and I’m pretty sure we have seen EVERYTHING!) and knowing he was tasked with making it less dour and more Marvel-y, it’s hard to imagine anyone who could’ve done a significantly better job in the circumstances.. of the story, at least. Snyders version would’ve been more cinematic and more tonally consistent, but there’s no way it would’ve been the entirely different film we’ve been promised... because, well.. this isn’t! And it’s 4hours long!!

* to hammer this home, there’s even a point in this where Synder rotates the camera around all the heroes... but it’s in a scene where they’re all just standing in an aircraft hanger talking in that achingly unnatural way you get in films where each one completes the sentence of the one before... and it looks good, sure, but, so what?... it conveys nothing about the characters, and simply serves to make the 432nd exposition scene pass a little smoother.
It was nice of them to talk one by one in order from left to right rather than the natural way of anybody could talk in any direction.

Also I see Whedon as not somebody who wants to tell a story but wants cool AF shots which will make awesome trailers

Ekeke

I think some people specifically watch things to make them mad and watching a movie for 4 hours is one of those things for sure. And if someone wants to do that its up to them, but its 100% offering them some entertainment - its just a twisted kind that indirectly gives them joy by first annoying them, then they have something to moan about and that makes them happy.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I watched about 25mins and thought it was rubbish and stopped watching.

Gal Gadot is awwwwwful.

meamth

At the risk of turning this into MCU Vs DCEU, I like the Snyder cut, but it doesn't follow any unique formula different to marvel like some are trying to suggest. A sort of different tone, not in dialogue but certainly in cinematography, but the formula is the same. Baddie comes, baddie gets the the upper hand, looks like baddie has won, something/someone comes to save the day, until next time. It's just as predicable if not moreso, superman saves the day, because superman.

This just managed to drag it out for 4 hours.
I mean, what can you do more in Superhero movie?

Baddies come baddies go - common theme.

What separates Marvel from DC, is the blood, gore and godlike superheroes.

Better yet Snyder didn't make Superman the savior, instead they have failed and some underrated hero saved them.

What I like about this movie is - You can't save the world alone..this is the truth.

meamth

I think this could’ve easily been cut down to around 2:45-3 hours and retained all of the new character developments, and just about acceptable enough for a theatre release. The suits at WB did it no favour by insisting on the 2 hours runtime but you kinda sympathise with them because many many parts of this version is overindulged Snyder slo-mo fest + irrelevant, uninteresting scenes (like, do we need to see Bruce Wayne riding in the mountain for 5 min, or Lois getting coffee, twice?)

This is better than the Whedon’s cut purely because of the extra run time to flesh out Cyborg and Steppy character, and fits in with the then-existing grimdark universe Snyder built, but as an ensemble superhero film, it’s still closer to Suicide Squad rather than Infinity War.
The only reason it became 4 hours is all the epilogue and foreshadowing scenes forcing the fans to initiate another turnaround from WB.

#RestoretheSnyderVerse. Heck I want JL 2.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Look, I’ve watched the entirety of Rissoli & Isles in lockdown, this was a piece of cake.
My point was merely the idea that Superhero films should be uncritically enjoyed or ignored is a nonsense in a world that is about 40% superhero films, and some of them are genuinely good and win awards now!

You fecking won nerds, stop being ridiculously fragile about it!
The irony of you calling people nerds while posting multiple walls of texts... no, essays... dissecting a comic book movie, a Zack Snyder CBM at that...?

Not gonna lie though this has brought back memories of previous back and forths :lol:

Why do you still hold these lofty expectations?

Just finished it, I thought it was very good! Whedon can feck off. It was a nice change from all the Marvel shit. Can't wait for the sequel. But FFS put the fecking GL in it.
More posts like this!
John Stewart please...

Also:
#RestoretheSnyderVerse

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

Planning to watch this tonight. Am I the only one who felt BvS was a much better movie than the original Justice league and not as bad as most people make it out to be. The Batman vs Superman angle was great, Luthor's scheming was interesting, Doomsday seemed a better and more dangerous villian than Steppenwolf and Wonder Woman's role was short enough to not realise Gadot's acting inabilities. JL on the other hand was so bad, all superheroes being beaten around easily by Steppenwolf and then superman wakes up and beats him inside a couple of minutes. Hopefully the Snyder cut is not that bad.
You’ll like the Snyder cut.

InfiniteBoredom

And superheroes love damaging as much property as possible. The insurance payouts must be high

I literally lol’ed when WW used her bracelet shockwave thingy to annihilate the dude who ran out of ammo, destroying a whole storey of building in the process, with nary a care in the world what potential damage the shattered glass and debris might have done to people below.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I literally lol’ed when WW used her bracelet shockwave thingy to annihilate the dude who ran out of ammo, destroying a whole storey of building in the process, with nary a care in the world what potential damage the shattered glass and debris might have done to people below.
I checked out at that point. Watched another ten mins or so then thought, "What am I doing to myself?" and switched it off :lol:

Also, what the feck was the "you can be anything you want to be" scene right after that? It felt like pure pisstake.

Sylar

The only reason it became 4 hours is all the epilogue and foreshadowing scenes forcing the fans to initiate another turnaround from WB.

#RestoretheSnyderVerse. Heck I want JL 2.
This only works if it's not for cinema, and I assume that won't work because there's not much money to be made from big budgets like this only being made available for tv subscriptions.

I do however think sequels work if they hire somebody competent to plan this and use this as cannon (and scrap the Whedon version or say it happened on another earth)

Considering her quick movements, she could have easily disarmed him and had him tied up with the rope. . There wasn't a need to use the bracelet as it was used elsewhere in the movie (and in previous movies) so we know the power :lol:

I checked out at that point. Watched another ten mins or so then thought, "What am I doing to myself?" and switched it off :lol:

Also, what the feck was the "you can be anything you want to be" scene right after that? It felt like pure pisstake.
That was wonder Woman basically being kind by saying 'actually you can't be me kid, but sure, try if you want'

Sylar

I totally got that from Gal Gadot's stellar acting :lol:

It was so lame.
I dont think the line and dialogue helped tbh. I think we know what Gal' strengths are, so should be playing more towards that.
i actually liked the scene for the most part, and it felt much better than anything involved in WW84.