Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

Tricky second season incoming for Bellingham, his ego has always grated on me a bit, but you can't dismiss what he has done so far in his career.

But playing for Real and playing so far forward did pad his numbers last season and now with Mbappe arriving he will have to play deeper and learn some new tricks...which will do him some good tbh.

But playing for Real and playing so far forward did pad his numbers last season and now with Mbappe arriving he will have to play deeper and learn some new tricks...which will do him some good tbh.
He could probably do a good job as a false 9, with Vini and Mbappe playing the wide forwards. I wouldn't trust him playing a traditional midfield role, he's an attacker, we made the same mistake with Pogba thinking he could play central midfield roles.

I've always maintained that he is incredibly overrated and I would have stuck to that opinion whether England won yesterday or not. Looks decent some times on a stacked team and he has a very good mentality but he will never be the one to carry a team anywhere because he just does not have the ability or skill level. Its why i've always been baffled with the comparisons to genuine greats, especially Zidane. He's not even in the same universe. What an insult to Zidane.

Classic England. Produce worldclass talent like Bellingham. Let him leave for Madrid to establish himself there as a leader and one of their best players. Then put him back into England with a clueless manager and suddenly he’s overrated.
Same thing with Kane. Or Foden and Saka.
Non of these guys is overrated. They are among the best players in the world at their positions. Absolute elite talent.
The issue isn’t the players. The issue is England‘s complete inability to produce a manager who is even remotely capable of giving the team the tactics it needs to blossom. Instead you have some wannabe catenaccio manager who believes his best shot at success is to completely hinder the best offensive group of players in the whole tournament.

Last edited:
He could probably do a good job as a false 9, with Vini and Mbappe playing the wide forwards. I wouldn't trust him playing a traditional midfield role, he's an attacker, we made the same mistake with Pogba thinking he could play central midfield roles.

I thought they were both LW? would be strange to see Mbappe on the RW? either way it will be interesting to see where Bellingham ends up in his second season at Real.

If he does focus/settle on the false 9 role then I would feel it's a bit like accepting he isn't a midfielder or a CF, making him a bit of a odd player. I guess as long as he is effective it doesn't really matter.

Classic England. Produce worldclass talent like Bellingham. Let him leave for Madrid to establish himself there as a leader and one of their best players. Than put him back into England with a clueless manager and suddenly he’s overrated.
Non of these guys is overrated. They are among the best players in the world at their positions. Absolute elite talent.
The issue isn’t the players. The issue is England‘s complete inability to produce a manager who is even remotely capable of giving the team the tactics it needs to blossom. Instead you have some wannabe catenaccio manager who believes his best shot at success is to completely hinder the best offensive group of players in the whole tournament.
Your post is a bit extreme in your take, as there were faults with the players despite Southgate (Bellingham has been running on fumes since February), but overall yes you are right. England need a much more progressive coach.

Classic England. Produce worldclass talent like Bellingham. Let him leave for Madrid to establish himself there as a leader and one of their best players. Than put him back into England with a clueless manager and suddenly he’s overrated.
Agree with this. I also think they were all knackered from playing way too many games a season.

Concerned that for such a good all round talent he is already being defined by goals, assists and moments. He could go the way of Gerrard.

Also concerned by his ego and performative body language at times but I suppose that what happens when you have everybody telling you you’re something special from such a young age.

He really reminds me of Ballack, not superb technically and with playmaking but has great instinct to get into the box and score and is strong mentally.

The issue becomes when his team aren't in control and therefore, given he isn't the type right now to be involved in the build up of play, he seems invisible (until he can pitch in with a key goal). That's maybe one difference to Ballack where Ballack would still try to be involved deeper but that's also because at that time you had 4-4-2 so he would be asked to do that, while for Bellingham these days ever team plays with 3 midfielders so there are others who are supposed to do that job.

To say he isn't world class is ridiculous in my opinion though, he's shown his quality for Madrid already so there shouldn't be any question. Every player needs the right system to get the best of out of them and for England Bellingham isn't getting that because they are too defensive.
Apt comparison.

The English Scott McTominay.

Come on.

I like Scott, I hope he can remain at United as a useful squad player for years to come.

But it's pretty obvious to anyone who has watched a bit of football over the years that Bellingham is a talent on a quite different level.

Will be very interesting to see how he develops (the lad is only 21).

He hasn't been brilliant but this idea that a single player can transcend their team, especially against top class teams is frankly bizarre. Messi is about the only player I have seen who can truly just exist outside of their team but even then, 95% of his career has been in sublime sides with bags of talent around him.

The modern game is more about the team than ever and as we have seen in this Euros, some of the "lesser" teams have given very good accounts of themselves purely because they work as a team and work hard for it. If Bellingham or half our players were in that Spain side they would look brilliant on the international stage.

Fact is, Southgate is a shit manager and plays depressing negative football and can't even seem to put a team on the pitch which makes sense.

Your post is a bit extreme in your take, as there were faults with the players despite Southgate (Bellingham has been running on fumes since February), but overall yes you are right. England need a much more progressive coach.
England need a coach. Doesn't have to be progressive, as long as he's a coach

It really is a little extreme. And Southgate seems to have some qualities and at least gets the team to play his way. The team spirit seemed to be relatively good, too. Which is incredibly important at a tournament. But his tactics are just outright horrible and unwatchable.

While I am not sure this example is a big deal, Bellingham does come off as a massive twat. Constant looking at the referee after not getting foul, petulant displays like one after the Slovakia game, making that shitshow after last night's game on the sidelines...

Comes across as a bit of a bully really, and I am not sure where this maturity tag that follows him came from. If anything, he is very immature.

His teammates are not some amateur players, they are world stars themselves, and they will not accept his behavior in the long term for sure.

Last edited:

Ah we are at the stage where we are going to tear him down. Didn't take long. We are great as a country at doing that. What a cesspit some fans and the media are. It's nothing new that you don't have to be friends with everyone in the camp. All of the videos released by England have seen him laughing and joking with others but now we've got this coming out. No sources stated. Pathetic stuff really.

It really is a little extreme. And Southgate seems to have some qualities and at least gets the team to play his way. The team spirit seemed to be relatively good, too. Which is incredibly important at a tournament. But his tactics are just outright horrible and unwatchable.
Yep totally agree - I've said it before but I give him a lot of credit for the overall atmosphere of togetherness he's created within the camp, that wasn't the case before him and it's been a real positive culture shock. The fact the team scored some late equalizers or winners also highlights good things from him, like keeping the belief alive and the involvement of the whole squad. But the team needs to go an extra step now and that requires a more refined coach.

Yep totally agree - I've said it before but I give him a lot of credit for the overall atmosphere of togetherness he's created within the camp, that wasn't the case before him and it's been a real positive culture shock. The fact the team scored some late equalizers or winners also highlights good things from him, like keeping the belief alive and the involvement of the whole squad. But the team needs to go an extra step now and that requires a more refined coach.
simple truth was ....why play Jude wide left defensively nad Foden at the 10??? Jude was misused out wide and forced to do way more defending than he wanted to do and should have had to do

they became much more effective when Jude moved to the middle after bringing the attacking changes which gave england real width

Classic England. Produce worldclass talent like Bellingham. Let him leave for Madrid to establish himself there as a leader and one of their best players. Then put him back into England with a clueless manager and suddenly he’s overrated.
What should they have done? Kidnap him?

If everyone is “absolutely elite talent” then the term loses its meaning. If Saka is able to perform for the NT which he tends then what’s stopping Foden from doing so? The answer is Foden. Obviously England’s managerial quality isn’t great and their Nt has always lacked a proper coaching / stylistic identity but that doesn’t absolute some dude like Kane and Foden.

He's obviously a wanker. I wouldn't really mind if the media hadn't spent a year or two trying to beat us over the head with how mature and level headed he is, which he absolutely is not. Lucky no one slapped him when he started that motivator shite with the other players after losing a Euros final. Guy seems to live life in third person constantly viewing himself as having a camera on him.

I still think he's a bit of a Dele (at his best) on steroids. They seem to function best in the same manner with Bellingham a level above.

Ah we are at the stage where we are going to tear him down. Didn't take long. We are great as a country at doing that. What a cesspit some fans and the media are. It's nothing new that you don't have to be friends with everyone in the camp. All of the videos released by England have seen him laughing and joking with others but now we've got this coming out. No sources stated. Pathetic stuff really.
In all fairness the same stuff was said about him towards the end of his time at Dortmund. Players being glad that he left etc.

Well one report in a message on twitter was what I saw. Haven't seen anything in the behaviours of the players at all across the tournament.
What do you mean by that? Teammates reacting to him?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it for the cameras. I'm sure there has been a few moments where he made a shit decision and someone had a go at him like any other game to be fair. I remember one where Kane was free on the edge of the box and he kept trying to beat his man and Kane went mad.

I wonder how they will solve that. Mbappe didn't want to be a #9 at PSG, he wanted to play wide left, where Vini plays. Someone is going to have to bend here. In fairness its Madrid and no matter how good you are you're always expendable so it'll probably work itself out.