Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

Don't really get where this criticism is coming from. Bellingham played the great pass that Watkins fecked up with a heavy touch, was inches away from scoring a great long shot after beating two Spanish players with a nice movement and had a couple of other good plays. Considering the tactical setup by Southgate, this was a decent performance actually.

His passing is absolutely shocking and he holds the ball far too long.

In the latter sense, reminds me of Pogba
And in the former nothing alike.

Agree on the ball holding, he dribbles past a player and looks for another or to do it again like he’s chaining skills on FIFA street.

Based on this tournament I think you were watching another player.

His passing is abysmal, always behind his man, just terrible, was absolutely glaring. With the ball he has average professional footballer speed. Strength, he's quite strong because he's big but he puts himself into trouble by holding onto the ball too long.

I think he was speaking in general, and it was a fair assessment.

I wouldn't even describe the version that we saw in this competition as having average speed and good strenght. He was rather slow and weak, struggling to beat his man and going down on most contacts. It's about time the season ends for him.

Still young and still lot to prove. It could go Ali-way or he could become good player. Really poor this tournament but something that was expected. He couldn’t ride on the wave like he did first months for Real Madrid. Quality between teams is just to big.

He was poor again but he has the mentality to succeed. He's obviously just done it with Madrid and he was the only player yesterday trying to pick the others up after defeat. He was acting like a captain and a leader to the end in the way that Kane didn't.

Everyitme I see him(not often) he looks knackered.

I thought in the first tie against City he was playing walking football.

Then this entire tournament his hands were on his hips.

Really hope Madrid look after him. He's only just turned 21 and already played 250 games (inc. international). Would be sad to see him burn out early and he still has a great deal to add to his game - particularly in managing possession. Looks absolutely knackered after this tournament.

His passing is absolutely shocking and he holds the ball far too long.

In the latter sense, reminds me of Pogba

His lack of awareness at times makes him a clone of Pogba.

Yes, he can produce some Hollywood moments but all too often (at least in the Euros) he used his skill and physical strength almost as a brag. The truly world class players will dribble or show some skill to produce a pass (sometimes just a simple pass), create an opening, create a goalscoring opportunity. Bellingham does what Pogba loved doing which was taking on 2 or 3 players, making space for himself and then turning back into trouble to show "how good he is".

Get over what? To genuinely believe that Bellingham is a nothing player makes you either clueless or a wum. I think he's an overrated moments player but there's no need to exaggerate.
You're trying to insult me personally becasue I have a different opinion to you. Grow up mate.

You're trying to insult me personally becasue I have a different opinion to you. Grow up mate.
Insult you personally?! Maybe you're the one that should 'get over it'.

Do you honestly believe he's a nothing player? Or were you exaggerating?

He's getting criticism a lot on here, while I agree he isn't the second coming of Zidane that he was made out to be I just can't help but feel for him, Foden and the likes.
Southgate built a Frankenstein like team. I don't think it's a bad idea to be a deep lying team and concede possession to your opponent but you can't be that team and not have pace in attack.
Madrid with Vini and Rodri are quite crucial, they get up the pitch fast. Jude largely gets on the end of things he's not the creator in that team.
Funny is he had Saka, he could have gone with Arnold at wingback and Saka in place of Foden.
A Rashford---Bellingham---Saka front three would terrorize that Spanish backline.
This is if you want to center around Bellingham, you could do similar set up with Kane as well, who can create but needs pace around him as well. I've never rated Southgate, I think he's been quite lucky with the draws England get.

He was playing as a hybrid of left wing/left midfielder. Then went to DM for a bit.

Meanwhile, Kane and Foden were playing in their positions doing nothing. Same as Saka.

He didn't have a good tournament, even though he did score some important goals.

There is a possibility that he will suffer a bit like Rooney did with us till 2013; shoehorned around because he can play various roles.

Yes, he can produce some Hollywood moments but all too often (at least in the Euros) he used his skill and physical strength almost as a brag. The truly world class players will dribble or show some skill to produce a pass (sometimes just a simple pass), create an opening, create a goalscoring opportunity. Bellingham does what Pogba loved doing which was taking on 2 or 3 players, making space for himself and then turning back into trouble to show "how good he is".

I think he has a strong bias for actions, you could see that at Dortmund as well. If the team doesn't click, he takes the initiative but that also means he becomes wasteful and misses out on the right moments to release the ball a lot. But he's still only 21. IMO England should take a close look at how Madrid are utilizing him. He's not a metronome passer like Kroos but has a fairly high passing accuracy for them and lots of touches. He's not constantly going for the dribble like Vinicius Junior but he can attempt it when necessary. He isn't always looking for the final ball but he can play it if the opportunity is there. And most importantly, he is able to utilize his biggest strength there perfectly which is late runs into the box. He's shown that for England as well.

If you use him that way, he is decent to very good in almost all aspects of the game and provides probably the biggest goal threat out of all current midfielders out there. Especially when you are chasing a game, he can be an incredibly valuable outlet. I also think he could develop a great synergy with Alexander-Arnold as well as some of your wide attackers. You just need a good coach to make it work.

Don't really get where this criticism is coming from. Bellingham played the great pass that Watkins fecked up with a heavy touch, was inches away from scoring a great long shot after beating two Spanish players with a nice movement and had a couple of other good plays. Considering the tactical setup by Southgate, this was a decent performance actually.
The pass was great, but the replays showed the shot was not really close.

For England, are Bellingham and Foden just Lampard and Gerrard all over again, i.e. both wanting to operate in the same area of the pitch but the manager not having the bottle to drop one of them or the tactical nous to fit both into a working system?

He is 20 years of age. He is playing far, far, far, far too many games for his age. He is so clearly spent that Madrid, might well worry about protecting their asset.
All well and good chiding Barca for their practices with young players, but Bellingham won’t last long before injuries destroy him, if his output remains so high, he’ll be broken by his mid 20’s.

Guy played the tournament at half mast. He’s yet to master energy output, so haring around with the little energy he has until looking like he’s run a marathon, makes him look as young and wet behind the ears as he is.

In need of a strong manager and captain, neither of which are present for England.

Yes, it’s a sorry and predictable cycle, unfortunately the people hyping him up, are usually the first to knock him down. It’s always the same pattern. People can’t seem to find a balanced, rational way to assess performance and quality.

The irony :lol:

Balanced views: "he's a great player". You're exactly one of those who's massively overrating the bloke.

He's falling victim to the usual England curse. We have subpar managers one way or the other who cant get us to play as a team, and instead rely on the brilliance of one or two players to sneak us over the line in games. Gazza, Beckham, Rooney, Kane and now Bellingham. Hasn't worked before and won't work now. Maradona, Platini, has there been any others who have genuinely won a tournament like that? Even Messi never did it.

He's a great player but he's not Maradona and this isn't 1986. As long as our tactics are sit deep and hope he pulls a bicycle kick out every game, he's set up to fail.

In agreement. Contrast with someone like Dani Olmo who uses his skill to massively affect the game.

For England, are Bellingham and Foden just Lampard and Gerrard all over again, i.e. both wanting to operate in the same area of the pitch but the manager not having the bottle to drop one of them or the tactical nous to fit both into a working system?
Yes.
Southgate is the main contributer for England's issues.
He didn't have a clue what to do with the midfield.

Jude Bellend, crotch grabbing alpha male.

Some of the personalities within the squad were well established: Kane a quiet leader, Jordan Pickford exuberant, Rice as infectiously enthusiastic off the pitch as on it, Bellingham exuding alpha male energy, Bukayo Saka the universally loved “starboy”.

That “Hey Jude” Adidas advert, which portrayed him as the national team’s saviour, was well received by the public, but some within the camp felt the tone was at odds with the collective ethos of Southgate’s England.

Bellingham charged away in celebration. “WHO ELSE?” he asked. “WHO ELSE?”

He said his celebration was partly adrenaline-fuelled but partly a “message to a few people”. “You hear people talk a lot of rubbish,” he said. “It’s nice that when you deliver, you can give them a little back.”

There was also a moment, after that goal, where Bellingham appeared to make a crotch-grabbing gesture.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5636625/2024/07/15/inside-england-euro-2024-shock-fear-heartbreak/

He really reminds me of Ballack, not superb technically and with playmaking but has great instinct to get into the box and score and is strong mentally.

The issue becomes when his team aren't in control and therefore, given he isn't the type right now to be involved in the build up of play, he seems invisible (until he can pitch in with a key goal). That's maybe one difference to Ballack where Ballack would still try to be involved deeper but that's also because at that time you had 4-4-2 so he would be asked to do that, while for Bellingham these days ever team plays with 3 midfielders so there are others who are supposed to do that job.

To say he isn't world class is ridiculous in my opinion though, he's shown his quality for Madrid already so there shouldn't be any question. Every player needs the right system to get the best of out of them and for England Bellingham isn't getting that because they are too defensive.

I thought he was acting like a big time knobhead for the cameras and if he'd have come up patronising me like that - like he did after the game - I'd have wanted to leather him. What good does him making a big pantomime do after we’ve lost?

Last edited: