Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

This tournament and QF to Final CL matches really highlight his limitations

He is a very good player in an extremely talented squad so a lot of times his limitations are hidden, but geez calling him a world class player is way over the top.

Still young and may improve, lets see how he progress.

He's a very talented player, but he's had a poor tournament, whether it's fatigue after a long season or England's style not playing to his strengths like Real kind of do. I don't know.

Next season is a big one for him, to keep going and improving is difficult, but he's surrounded by brilliant players at Real, so he has no excuses really.

What is his main quality? Seriously, apart from big moments, which is something that may not run forever.

I mean, I don't really see him as a game controlling 8, 6 absoutely not, and his vision, dribbling and everything apart from scoring is far below what you'd expect of a world class 10?

He was a top player with a youngster's caveat. He achieved a lot this season with Real Madrid. The expectation is much higher now, and in the future, the caveat of being a young player is fading. This is where many young players fall apart. I don't want to rule it out just yet. The next two seasons will tell us more.

Good player who had a bad tournament, but either way I find his whole mentality warrior schtick really obnoxious - especially that “you got this” advert.

exactly. It’s like people forget he is 21. As a nation we love a scapegoat. And here we go.,….
He's only becoming a spacegoat because of how much he was overrated by the pundits. That's the usual cycle.

I mean after the first game, Rio legit turned to Cesc Fabregas, who has played with the GOATs and asked him if he's played with anyone as good as Bellingham.

He's only becoming a spacegoat because of how much he was overrated by the pundits. That's the usual cycle.

I mean after the first game, Rio legit turned to Cesc Fabregas, who has played with the GOATs and asked him if he's played with anyone as good as Bellingham.

Yes, it’s a sorry and predictable cycle, unfortunately the people hyping him up, are usually the first to knock him down. It’s always the same pattern. People can’t seem to find a balanced, rational way to assess performance and quality.

Yes, it’s a sorry and predictable cycle, unfortunately the people hyping him up, are usually the first to knock him down. It’s always the same pattern. People can’t seem to find a balanced, rational way to assess performance and quality.
He loved it and hyped himself as much as anyone else.

And, having zero involvement in the debate, the player gets the blame.

What is his main quality? Seriously, apart from big moments, which is something that may not run forever.

I mean, I don't really see him as a game controlling 8, 6 absoutely not, and his vision, dribbling and everything apart from scoring is far below what you'd expect of a world class 10?
Goalscoring, maturity and strength stand out.

He’d also quite complete and his dribbling, passing and pace are all quite good.

But it’s true that he’s not a playmaking and elite at passing or dribbling. He’s more like a Gerrard and Lampard hybrid with better feet, not as good CM qualities and more of a final third impact maker.

He is big, has great goalscoring instincts, shooting and is unbelivebly clutch. His passing, dribbling and technique doesn't stand out.

So why is he a midfielder instead of a striker when everything he is great at is just bonus for a midfielder, but vital for a striker?

When was he ever full of steam?

Plenty of hot air though…
I mean physically towards the end of games he couldn't seem to move anymore, not that he was performing great in matches. Not sure if that's to do with the season, age, injury or what. But physically he wasn't lasting the distance.

The main problem was he's coming off a season where he was playing in a team that played football and earnt him space. He didn't have any space for England so all those goals he scores...it's redundant as an ability if he has no space to move into.

A few days ago, Mbappé became "one of the most overrated players ever, who has never done anything in football and who chokes in big games". It's Bellingham's turn now.

A world class player who had a disappointing tournament overall. A tournament where many high level players looked tired and didn't live up to the expectations. It's probably not a coincidence that the best collective team went all the way.

If you listen to some comments, Madrid's people don't know anything about football. They should have bought Olmo, not Bellingham.

You also have an irrational hatred for him.

Here’s a quote from you calling him a “great player” yourself. The term you took exception to me using. Thereafter your posts towards him became gradually more and more vitriolic.

Quit stalking me, Bellingham is a good player but will never be great.

He's not good enough to be the number 10 for England or Madrid imo.

What arbitrary number of games should I need to watch to make a proper judgement in your opinion?

I’ve probably watched him more than you.
If you think he isn't an 8 you either haven't watched him much or you are a bit dense

The criticism Jude gets is OTT considering he's just 21 and looked crocked at RM since his shoulder injury. The lad's still got some maturing to do with his Razzie worthy diving, but most midfielders his age were not key players for their national team yet. IMO Jude played better whenever a few subs came on and he dropped deeper next to Rice, he's actually had a few linebreaking passes from CM to Watkins who wasted it with heavy touches.

The folks here and on City's forum scapegoating Bellingham for Foden or Kane's underperformances are laughable, but he needs to let the flak spur him on if he ever wants to win with England. England has perhaps unsurprisingly won 0 under Kane's passive spell as captain but if Jude inherits the armband everyone will be expecting him to drag England kicking and screaming to glory, whilst simultaneously being offended by his larger than life attitude.

He is big, has great goalscoring instincts, shooting and is unbelivebly clutch. His passing, dribbling and technique doesn't stand out.

So why is he a midfielder instead of a striker when everything he is great at is just bonus for a midfielder, but vital for a striker?
He is a striker

His touch and dribbling do stand out, a lot, when he's fully fit

Nope, the media unanimously adore him and despite being utter tripe this tournament hasn’t faced a single criticism from the English media. They have their favourites and stick by them.

Thought he was one of England's best tonight :confused:

I wasn't watching as intently but he was one of the only players, who could take a ball from a tight position, hold onto it, carry it and/or pass to someone in space. Pretty much most of England's best chances started with or involved him.

So weird to see the dislike of him. He's bit of a character but a proper player, who actually can and tries to affect a game in the 'hardest' moments. Kane was fecking shocking and a proper disgrace with his lack of challenging any aerial balls and dull movement and I say that as someone, who's admired his ability for many years. So hard to play with someone like in front of you with minimal hold up play, minimal movement beyond the defence and no agility in front of it.

Last edited:
Jude is a very good player but he seems to be one of those that as his career unfolds he won't be held in high regards, the hype is there now because he's young and doing big things but his style and ability to ghost through games won't hold up long term. The likes of Mainoo and Pedri will be held in higher regards because of their influence and direct action on the ball in games. Only thing that can help Jude now is if Madrid make his role the no 10 (supporting striker not playmaker) behind Mbappe. Play a 4-2-3-1 and put two mids to do the work behind him and absolve him off any midfield work ala Bruno here. He can play as a supporting striker. He's not a midfielder persay and until we stop calling him one, the criticism won't stop.

I think he struggled because he was in poor shape more than anything. Southgate making subpar personnell choices and then essentially not bothering with coaching beyond that didn't help either, of course

But I think, say, a Luis Enrique drops him outright(and Kane, and Foden). Whether England would have been better for it, no idea
A hypothetical Luis Enrique definitely wouldn't accept these performances, no, but I don't think we put in these performances with someone like him in charge either.

The talent is very clear and there are moments when he really looks the part but he had a poor tournament. A bit like Pogba, shows up 1 in 5 times and then coasts on efforts of that 1 good showing

I get why he can be criticised but tournament football is aways sporadic and he’s clearly been clutch (urgh) in important moments.

He is probably a slightly overrated player but no one is ever amazing throughout a whole tourney. Baggio was the best performer at USA 94 and Zidane was suspended for most of France 98, but the big moments are the only things people remember.

Last edited:
I get why he can be criticised but tournament football is aways sporadic and he’s clearly been clutch (urgh) in important moments.

He is probably a slightly overrated player but no one is ever amazing throughout a whole tourney. Baggio was the best performer at USA 94 and Zidane was suspended for most of France 98, but the big moments are the only things people remember.
This is more a problem with the English national team. Not that sporadic performances don’t happen but rather than this is essentially the template they follow of unstructured individual moments based football as opposed to any systemic quality. In this tournament alone Spain’s defence, midfield and wingers have been consistent and it probably has a lot to do with the way Spain aim to play football - front foot control rather than a spurt here or there.

As an example, only recently Messi was great throughout nearly the whole WC. Modric was excellent most of the previous edition. Also it has to be said that there’s performing in moments - let’s say 5 or 6 great moments a game like an Mbappe would and having a few in an entire tournament as Bellingham did. Forget amazing, he was actually quite poor / average in this Euros. Which is also fine - he’s a kid. I think the criticism has more to do with the insane hype.

One of England's better players last night alongside Shaw, Guehi and Palmer. He was honking for the better part of the tournament, though. I think his first season in a new environment on top of heightened expectations has taken a huge toll on him physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Other than an assist he didnt exactly take the game by the scruff. Talented player but still has a lot to learn and prove.

To me it seems what they keep telling us is his maturity is in fact the big show he makes of going round trying to gee people up. I'm obviously not an elite sportsperson so maybe it's different but, if I'd just lost one of the biggest matches of my career, I'd feel entitled to be a bit pissed off. Some big time Charlie making a show of slapping everyone in the face and patting me like I'm a good dog would just be annoying.

For his footballing ability I've had very little opportunity to see much of him outside of this Euro's but I feel he leaves a lot to be desired on that front. Acknowledging my United bias I see a lot more about Mainoo that he will go on to be absolutely elite level than I have from Bellingham.
Yeah this was all for show

I got laughed at for calling him a nothing player weeks ago. Not seen anything to change my mind.

Capable of a big moment but seems to not really be outstanding at anything apart from loving himself and diving.
Likewise, I said to some work colleagues when he was at Dortmund that I thought he was overrated. Naturally I've gotten pelters for 18 months as he's had a good season but they're starting to chirp the exact same things;

Can't pass, loses the ball a lot, disappears for long periods, lots of directing traffic, throws himself into tackles risking bookings, petulant, hogs the ball as well.

People are way too harsh on him. He is still so young and tired after a long season. Outrageous reactions

Goalscoring, maturity and strength stand out.

He’d also quite complete and his dribbling, passing and pace are all quite good.

But it’s true that he’s not a playmaking and elite at passing or dribbling. He’s more like a Gerrard and Lampard hybrid with better feet, not as good CM qualities and more of a final third impact maker.
Based on this tournament I think you were watching another player.

His passing is abysmal, always behind his man, just terrible, was absolutely glaring. With the ball he has average professional footballer speed. Strength, he's quite strong because he's big but he puts himself into trouble by holding onto the ball too long.

Based on this tournament I think you were watching another player.

His passing is abysmal, always behind his man, just terrible, was absolutely glaring. With the ball he has average professional footballer speed. Strength, he's quite strong because he's big but he puts himself into trouble by holding onto the ball too long.
He could have released Shaw in the first half but he did what you described

He could have released Shaw in the first half but he did what you described
He does it a lot, raised in the first game, passes with his instep have too much curve/fade on them and the go into man, usually towards their back hip meaning they have to check back, bring the ball in front of them and delay progress.