Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

He's a slightly more attack minded Steven Gerrard. Good player, but quite limited.

Bellingham had his best games by far in his first 4, 5 months in Real Madrid. Since then his level has been two tiers below that. There are only two explanations for this.

1) He experienced a sustained burst of inspiration during those months, the logical consequence of which was that it would come to an end.

2) His physical form was affected due to injuries and lack of rest, which makes sense because you can clearly see he has much less freshness, speed in his movement and stamina in games of similar level.

My explanation is: a bit both.

In any case, the fact that people want to judge in such a definitive way a 20 year old player who was first capped at 17 and who has just been named best player in the Spanish league in his first season seems to me surprising to say the least.

Bellingham had his best games by far in his first 4, 5 months in Real Madrid. Since then his level has been two tiers below that. There are only two explanations for this.

1) He experienced a sustained burst of inspiration during those months, the logical consequence of which was that it would come to an end.

2) His physical form was affected due to injuries and lack of rest, which makes sense because you can clearly see he has much less freshness, speed in his movement and stamina in games of similar level.

My explanation is: a bit both.

+ maybe a bit of opponents „found him out“ as in could adapt their tactics better to suit his new role. Reminds me a bit on Goretzka who had a brilliant run for half a season or so (and still feasts on that) as this free roaming / goal scoring 8 - except that Bellingham obviously is a vastly more talented player in about every department so will be quite fine regardless.

I wish it wouldn't :D
Tbh I thought the person claiming his one season at Real was already better than any season of Gerrard's was taking the piss, so I made it even sillier by saying he's even surpassed Ronaldo. But now, I'm not so sure about the original poster.

One really poor game and a number of posts all over the net and here on him being limited , far too limited to play the 8role..... and similar with Rice almost like four years back when M<Tominay was agruably better.

The way people are affected by game to game performances is always crazy.

On one hand I think we often over hype premiership players and there ability to play for countries.....all the "we have the best attacking options in the tournament easily"....naive...but come on Bellingham and Rice are two of the best of there ilk in thetournament.

This isnt the overboard nonsense defending Trent, this is one of thebest players in Europe that plays for any side in the competition. Yes he was awful in the last game,yes his form has dropped for his club a bit the last few months and yes people talking about him being one of the countries best ever players is both premature and very disrespetful tosome wonderful players who have hadcareers 4/5x longer thanBellinghams so far and were better players too in many cases.

But limited,unable to play deeper...everybody has the right to there own opinion but seriously come on.

Different players and positions but the Foden/Bellingham problemwith others reminds me a bit of Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard and how do you fit them into the same side. I dont think they atually ever produced anything nearthere club form,Bellingham has, Foden hasnt.

Personally Iwant Foden at 10and Bellingham 8....oterhwise you drop one as Foden isnt as good as others on the wings.

ButBellingham has everything to be a top player and more importantly at the moment a versatile one, limited is crazyfor me

I think he plays better when he's wearing a shirt sleeve, his shoulder injury might be the reason he's using long sleeve...

When he starts turning up in the big CL games then I think you can maybe say that.
Why? A full season is more than just a handful of CL games. And he just played a better season than Gerrard ever has. Which season of Gerrard comes close?

I don‘t get that „only big games count“ sentiment. Why judge a players season on 3 games rather than 40+?

Why? A full season is more than just a handful of CL games. And he just played a better season than Gerrard ever has. Which season of Gerrard comes close?

I don‘t get that „only big games count“ sentiment. Why judge a players season on 3 games rather than 40+?
Even then... Bellingham scored the winning goal in both Clasicos this season. That should count as big games.

Even then... Bellingham scored the winning goal in both Clasicos this season. That should count as big games.

Barcelona are crap. It’s not really what it used to be as a fixture. As for the guy asking why big games count more, well because they just do, they’re the ones you really need to come out on top to win a trophy like the CL. Thats how it’s always been and how it will always be.

Barcelona are crap. It’s not really what it used to be as a fixture. As for the guy asking why big games count more, well because they just do, they’re the ones you really need to come out on top to win a trophy like the CL. Thats how it’s always been and how it will always be.

Barcleona are not crap, they have incredibly talented players who sometimes have the ability to meltdown due to lack of experience as they are still very young.

I don't know how you can say a team that has Pedri, Gavi, Yamal, Kounde, Araujo, Balde, Christensen, Joao Felix, Frenkie, Gundogan as "crap".

Every single one of those players would *walk* into our starting XI.

It's not "only". Season consistency is important and without it, it puts a big question mark on a player. But what separates the top players from the very elite is the imprint on the biggest games where the pressure is highest and there is nothing between the two teams. Benzema went up a level when he was the talisman for his team's CL win standing out in a field full of top players as the difference maker. It depends on which level we are talking about, if Bellingham wants to be considered a top player, then he already is. If he wants to be a tier above and be talked about in the same breath as the likes of Iniesta or Zidane and these all times greats, then he has to complement his season consistency with decisiveness at the biggest games of the season where he is the difference maker and that stage is the CL or international football latter rounds and finals.

He has been terrible today but is sadly untouchable . He’ll probably score now

This is the problem with him. He's a luxury player in every sense. Rio was so wrong with his comments after the first game, about how he wants to drag the team by the scruff of the neck and boss games.

I don't want to be too critical of a young player, but he's so often missing in games. I've seen one game where he's done OK, against Serbia. For Dortmund and Real in CL knockouts he's a non entity every time I watch.

He has been terrible today but is sadly untouchable . He’ll probably score now

Yeah he’s bizarrely been hailed as England’s saviour. He’ll play every minute of this tournament, which will probably be another 90 or so.

This is the problem with him. He's a luxury player in every sense. Rio was so wrong with his comments after the first game, about how he wants to drag the team by the scruff of the neck and boss games.

I don't want to be too critical of a young player, but he's so often missing in games. I've seen one game where he's done OK, against Serbia. For Dortmund and Real in CL knockouts he's a non entity every time I watch.
This is nonsens. He is no leader. He runs a lot but don't have any tactical awareness. Just a talent as I have been saying for long time.

He was having purple patch at the start of the season. He was lucky playing with Kroos and other Real Madrid players. Without someone holding his hand he is not going to do to much.

Been on to this guy for years. He’s a good player who, I must say, his parents have managed his career absolutely fantastically. He’s always been exactly where he needs to be at every point in his career and has been in environments that have magnified the talent and profile that he has to its absolute maximum. But he doesn’t look a better footballer than Cole Palmer for me, as just an example.

My thoughts exactly. He gets into the box and scores those poacher type goals. Did that multiple times for RM. That system works for him because RM did not have an out and out striker this season.

With England, when hes plays behind Kane, I havent seen him do anything you'd expect from an attacking midfielder. Ive seen him go missing in CL games too and it just feels like if he cant get that toe poke into the goal he leave no mark on the game at all.

Looked tired in the later stages of the game and Southgate should have subbed him. There's no doubt about his quality though... This whole England team just aren't clicking in this tournament.

I don't think it's fair to write him off during this tournament - we all know foden, saka and Kane are class but they also look shit.

I don't think it's fair to write him off during this tournament - we all know foden, saka and Kane are class but they also look shit.

Thing is, Bellingham has been given a critical role in where he plays, which has effected everybody else. Foden is out of position and Kane isn't getting any service. A lot of problems are created because of a need to play Bellingham there.

Next game he should swap Trippier and Walker, instantly more service to Kane. Then move Bellingham deeper or drop him, move Foden centrally, then have either Saka and Palmer or Gordon and Palmer wide. I'd try the latter. If he drops Bellingham then bring in Mainoo alongside Rice and behind Foden.

For me, Foden is a far superior footballer, yet he's been shifted into a position where he's ineffective, to accommodate an ineffective Bellingham. Southgate logic :drool:

Plays like he's getting a bit big for his boots for me. Very Reminiscent of some of Pogbas ineffective performances for us.

I think he'd be far more effective starting deeper in the #8, next to Rice and simplifying his game a little.

Still think he is incredibly overrated by many in the English press. For his age, he is absolutely a huge talent, but he does not belong in the conversation with Mbappe, Vinicious Jr etc in terms of best in the world ability. Could he get there? Maybe, but he still has big holes in his game compared to truly world class midfielders.

He might smash into somebody, just to make himself feel better.

Playing through some shoulder injury for months that needs surgery. That's why his current performance has dropped off a cliff compared to the start of the year.