Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take your point about Frimpong. I didn’t know this

At 23 I would hope this striker is beyond doubt for the national team. I never did rate Cabbage Head as a manager though so I accept what you’re saying
Yeah, Zirkzee had a bit of a roundabout trajectory. I mentioned it in the Euros thread on the Netherlands as well: he was a big promise before (when he was at Bayern), but then kinda disappointed and made a step down to Anderlecht - and now he's on the ascent again after a great season at Bologna. So for that reason, I have been a little skeptical as well; but then not everyone is a successful childhood prodigy. If he's a late bloomer like Stam or Van Nistelrooij, he can still be pretty good. (Not necessarily as great obviously, but I suppose you know what I mean.)

Interesting, thanks! I guess a very different profile to Hojlund then which makes sense.

Yeah quite different but I think both have exciting potential that they could reach.

Wouldn’t care if city or Real Madrid made this signing and that’s the direction we need to aim

He’s 23 and didn’t make the initial Dutch squad either. Weghorst (sp) is favoured

Not filling me with hope. Just reeks of another Ten Hag signing which won’t work. He seriously underestimates the quality of English football

This is a strange way to look at the signing to be fair. For one, we all know Ten Hag basically has 0 say in transfers at this point. Second, everyone following the Dutch NT was baffled that he wasn't chosen in the squad and pissed at Koeman for it. Finally, getting him for 30m or so with his talent level is the exact sort of thing that Madrid/City do and then people whine and say "How did they have a free run at him for that price" when these players start shining.

It's pretty low risk for the price, good age, good potential. Unless you're one of those that thinks we should spank the entire budget of a team coming off 8th place on Ollie Watkins or something I don't know what to tell you. If he doesn't work out then so what, but it's the sort of smart bet we've been failing to make for years and instead waiting on players like Zirkzee to go to a bigger club and then explode where we then get quoted 80m-100m figures.

I hope it’s a club signing because they think he’s a potential world class talent rather than a ten hag signing. We don’t know for sure which it is. But feels like the sort of signing Ten Hag makes from the little I can see. Branthwaite did well in Eridivise too and seems to be consistent with Ten Hag targets

I take your point about Frimpong. I didn’t know this

At 23 I would hope this striker is beyond doubt for the national team. I never did rate Cabbage Head as a manager though so I accept what you’re saying

This is just an agenda based on nothing. Neither Branthwaite nor Zirkzee have anything to do with ETH.

I was interested to see who his agent is, considering the extortionate agent fee reported and it’s fecking Joorabchian. Happily not see that fecker again after the Tevez debacle.

This is such a rubbish tweet. How are we ‘exploring a deal’ if we aren’t in contact with his club?!
Ornstein, you’re better than this!
Because he has a release clause and it doesn't require contact with Bologna until terms are agreed with the player.

Yeah quite different but I think both have exciting potential that they could reach.

This is a strange way to look at the signing to be fair. For one, we all know Ten Hag basically has 0 say in transfers at this point. Second, everyone following the Dutch NT was baffled that he wasn't chosen in the squad and pissed at Koeman for it. Finally, getting him for 30m or so with his talent level is the exact sort of thing that Madrid/City do and then people whine and say "How did they have a free run at him for that price" when these players start shining.

It's pretty low risk for the price, good age, good potential. Unless you're one of those that thinks we should spank the entire budget of a team coming off 8th place on Ollie Watkins or something I don't know what to tell you. If he doesn't work out then so what, but it's the sort of smart bet we've been failing to make for years and instead waiting on players like Zirkzee to go to a bigger club and then explode where we then get quoted 80m-100m figures.
I think he still has a say on transfers based on his current contract

I’ll hope for the best if it happens but at 23 I would have expected him to be getting into that Dutch squad easily if he were good enough. They don’t have great strikers.

Hopefully United see something Koeman doesn’t
This is just an agenda based on nothing. Neither Branthwaite nor Zirkzee have anything to do with ETH.
As above I think Erik still has a say under his contract terms

I thought before the window and before any links that if Ten Hag was still in charge of recruitment (and if he isn’t, who is? Still no Ashworth or head of recruitment) that we would target Dutch players and/or players with Eridivise experience and these are the most reliable links so far

If De Ligt is suddenly a serious target too, I can’t buy that Ten Hag isn’t still in charge of IDing our targets

No, he said the “interest” is advanced, whatever the feck that means. How advanced does the interest have to get before we actually contact his club? These Journalists are very weird at times with the wording in tweets. Although I am all for these aggregators finally being called out.

No, he said the “interest” is advanced, whatever the feck that means. How advanced does the interest have to get before we actually contact his club. These Journalists are very weird at times with their wording in tweets.
It means we're in the preparing a bid stage

I think he is the type of intelligent forward that provides something different and could create and make space for the many attackers we have that like to cut inside.

All for this as an alternative and you can’t go wrong at that price. He could well be worth double that after another season like the one he just had.

Really curious to know what “preparing a bid” actually entails.

Always imagine two blokes sitting in front of the computer like, ”Ok Ron, now type in 3. Now the 4. Okay put a million right after. Okay now click send.”

The more I read, the more he sounds like … Gakpo?
A player ten Hag really wanted too.
——
If he is a technically sound, false 9 type, that can be good for the general play in the final third — get the ball to stick a bit more; get those around him (Fernandes) in more advanced positions to get on the end of things too.

His stats suggest he won’t do too much individually to fix our paltry goal tally, but he may assist with the overall play in the attack.

I’ll hope for the best if it happens but at 23 I would have expected him to be getting into that Dutch squad easily if he were good enough. They don’t have great strikers.

I thought before the window and before any links that if Ten Hag was still in charge of recruitment (and if he isn’t, who is? Still no Ashworth or head of recruitment) that we would target Dutch players and/or players with Eridivise experience and these are the most reliable links so far

If De Ligt is suddenly a serious target too, I can’t buy that Ten Hag isn’t still in charge of IDing our targets

Zirkzee has never played in the Eredivisie or under ten Hag. Branthwaite played there when ten Hag was already managing United. De Ligt is a name that will interest dozens of teams if he is put up for sale by Bayern. ETH's input and history with the player would probably be significantly considered by Ineos if we were to make a move for him, yes, but that's a positive and an obvious thing any club would do.

Also, other than Antony, every single "ten Hag signing" was a good acquisition, so I don't see why it would be a bad thing if he recommended some players to the club..but I still maintain that Zirkzee and Branthwaite have been very obviously identified by the club rather than ETH.

People are really going overboard with this "ten Hag signing" thing. Every single player we signed under ETH was someone that the club already knew about. It would be weird if they didn't.

We need to just stay away from Dutch players, Dutch league players, and ex Ten Hag players for a while imo.

Would work better with Rashford and Garnacho than Rasmus, but I hope we get a creative winger as well.

I've given up on that. Olise was the dream but it seems like this is more practical this summer. Two birds with oen shot. Cover for Hojlund and between Garnacho, Amad and Antony they can cover the RW. The side is not horribly imbalanced if we play Rashford -- Zirkzee -- Garnacho unlike Rashford -- Hojlund -- Garnacho.

Anyway, a false 9 type player is a good weapon to have and adds flexibility too. Arsenal have Jesus / Trossard. Any of the City attackers can do the job (Alvarez, Foden etc.), Liverpool have Gakpo and Jota. We had a good attack with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood. Can do worse than going back to that.

Because Antony didnt live up to expectation?

It just comes across as a bit lazy and small minded at this point, and tbf it isn't just Antony is it.

He's bought and loaned quite few Dutch, ex Dutch league, and ex players, and would have had more if he's been given the chance, Arnautovic, Gakpo, are the main two I can think of. I think it's fair to say that it's been more miss than hit overall.

I asked my Bayern supporting mate for his thoughts on Zirkzee just now and here's what he told me:

I always liked zirkzee, but he's best in a 2 striker set up where he can drop off and be more of a playmaker. He's not like a ruthless target man/finisher who's gonna bang in goals. Closer to a 10 than a 9 imo. He has a lot of finesse and dribbling to his game moreso than finishing. I hope the sale goes through though cause we'll get 20m of that :lol:

Sounds more like someone who can play off of Hojlund or Rashford up top

Is this moving quickly or we just thinking about it at the minute?

I asked my Bayern supporting mate for his thoughts on Zirkzee just now and here's what he told me:

Sounds more like someone who can play off of Hojlund or Rashford up top

At Bologna, his partnership with Lewis Ferguson, who drives ahead of him from midfield, has been pretty special. Zirkzee could be the key to truly unlocking Scott McTominay.

Or possibly other players.

At Bologna, his partnership with Lewis Ferguson, who drives ahead of him from midfield, has been pretty special. Zirkzee could be the key to truly unlocking Scott McTominay.

Or possibly other players.
Sounds like he could be just the person to unlock our strikers.

I just asked about the idea of him working off of Hojlund and he said
yeah I think he thrives when he has a finisher ahead of him and runners on the wings that he can feed

I like how the tweet says that we are aware of the clause, as if there was any possibility of us not being aware of a clause that has been public.

Is this moving quickly or we just thinking about it at the minute?
It needs to if we are to swoop ahead of Milan who appear to be all but done on the transfer

It doesn't matter who the head coach is, he absolutely should have a say on the type of player that is brought in because it will be the coach who will be judged on the teams performances on the pitch. So having a veto is normal for a head coach to have because as a functioning football structure, it's important to have alignment throughout the football club, where everyone works towards a common goal, which includes the head coach.

The heads of recruitment at football clubs are responsible for identifying players. Man Utd had sacked their heads of recruitment in April 2022, hence ten Hag had to step in and assist a process until replacements were brought in. And when those replacements are brought in, you have to give them the time to scout and analyse players. Erik ten Hag has never been one to lead on recruitment and because United had sacked the likes of Lawlor and Bout in April 2022, it gave many the impression that he was hugely influential, when the reality is that many didn't understand the implications that could follow when sacking your heads of recruitment on the eve of the transfer window.

I assume Simon Wells and Jose Mayorga are still in charge of running the recruitment department. INEOS haven't made any changes in that regard as yet, but I think the best time to bring in a head of recruitment from the outside is at the start of the season. And then the recruitment department will have the time to scout and analyse players for a set strategy.

Seems like a talented player who isn't particularly effective in his end productive yet. Not an impact sub/reliable bench scorer type. Depth is needed, and he'd be a good add to the squad generally I'm sure. Would've preferred someone like Toney for that squad role though as having a reliable scorer is invaluable, and he isn't that.

It just comes across as a bit lazy and small minded at this point, and tbf it isn't just Antony is it.

He's bought and loaned quite few Dutch, ex Dutch league, and ex players, and would have had more if he's been given the chance, Arnautovic, Gakpo, are the main two I can think of. I think it's fair to say that it's been more miss than hit overall.
The two you named, he didn’t buy!

I find this ‘Ten Hag’ player a bit of a harsh stick to beat him with.

Antony has not done well. But his other buys haven’t been nearly as bad as people make out.

Hojlund, I think is a star in the making. Mount hasn’t played enough, Malacia was brilliant for 15 million. Martinez is probably your best CB. Case had a great first season and a dodgy second, but was he even an ETH choice?

Onana took time to settle but I think you’ll see a better season from him next year. Eriksen was a free hit and has had some great moments. Weghorst was an emergency loan, as was Sabitzer when the club refused to spend any money and Amrabat has played most of his games out of position, but looked good in his natural position towards the end of last season.

I dont think that’s so bad to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.