Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

I assumed he was still on Bayern’s books. Why did they let him go, and has he been good at Bologna?

I'd be more than happy to go back to the era of strikers when United had rooney, tevez and ronaldo....no true 9 just three attack minded mobile forwards who ran at defenders every time they got the ball at their feet

OK, looks like this is getting serious. Any regular watchers care to comment on how good he is? Any YouTube comps? I don't care that he is Dutch like some people on here seem to do but by all accounts he was highly rated when he was at Bayern, so how did he get on at Bologna?

€40m seems a reasonable price and he is still young too. Haven't been too invested in this as it seemed he was pretty much set to join AC Milan and his agent asking a fortune but if Ornstein's reporting it we may have got some indication that he is willing to join us.

I assumed he was still on Bayern’s books. Why did they let him go, and has he been good at Bologna?
He was underwhelming and there was no path for him into Bayern's starting XI.
Bayern does have a significant sell-on clause, which is why I hope that someone/anyone buys him this summer. :angel:

How is his workrate?
Can't wait for the usual suspects to complain about the Dutch angle.

I know feck all about him other than that he was great for me in FM a couple of years back. Sign him up.

He was underwhelming and there was no path for him into Bayern's starting XI.
Bayern does have a significant sell-on clause, which is why I hope that someone/anyone buys him this summer. :angel:

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

He's like a false 9 in a PL strikers body. Long & strong whilst not really great at heading. I think he's a very good link up player who'll make Rashord function a lot better & who'd function well when United would have the most of possession. I don't really expect him to be a big goal outlet however, more in the Gabriel Jesus/Firmino line of striker in that perspective.

I'm exited as a Dutch person that he finally starts to show his big potential! Had hoped he'd get into the Oranje squad at some point and hope he gets/takes his chance this tournament. We could really do with a very good attacking player as we lack that most of all.

He's comfortable with his back to goal and likes to link up with teammates. Sounds like he's more of a Ten Hag type of striker than Hojlund to be honest

This is such a rubbish tweet. How are we ‘exploring a deal’ if we aren’t in contact with his club?!
Ornstein, you’re better than this!

He literally says that we are in talks with his camp. Presumably trying to agree salary and other terms with the player and also probably trying to negotiate agent fee and see if it can be reduced. We've also agreed terms with Branthwaite before reaching out to Everton.

He's like a false 9 in a PL strikers body. Long & strong whilst not really great at heading. I think he's a very good link up player who'll make Rashord function a lot better & who'd function well when United would have the most of possession. I don't really expect him to be a big goal outlet however, more in the Gabriel Jesus/Firmino line of striker in that perspective.

I'm exited as a Dutch person that he finally starts to show his big potential! Had hoped he'd get into the Oranje squad at some point and hope he gets/takes his chance this tournament. We could really do with a very good attacking player as we lack that most of all.

Good to know, thanks!

Mobile, highly technical, excellent vision and passer, quality dribbler, good on either foot

Weaknesses would mainly be that he's not "greedy enough" as a goal scorer. But honestly I think he's one of the highest potential targets out there relative to the fee he'll garner. He's a bit of a freak technically for his height, and an ideal Martial replacement as a striker option that offers a much different profile than Hojlund.

Mobile, highly technical, excellent vision and passer, quality dribbler, good on either foot

Weaknesses would mainly be that he's not "greedy enough" as a goal scorer. But honestly I think he's one of the highest potential targets out there relative to the fee he'll garner. He's a bit of a freak technically for his height, and an ideal Martial replacement as a striker option that offers a much different profile than Hojlund.

Interesting, thanks! I guess a very different profile to Hojlund then which makes sense.

Why would "discussions still be needed" with Bologna even if we pay his release clause, as the article claims?

Wouldn’t care if city or Real Madrid made this signing and that’s the direction we need to aim

He’s 23 and didn’t make the initial Dutch squad either. Weghorst (sp) is favoured

Not filling me with hope. Just reeks of another Ten Hag signing which won’t work. He seriously underestimates the quality of English football

This is such a rubbish tweet. How are we ‘exploring a deal’ if we aren’t in contact with his club?!
If anything it means that we’re exploring it among ourselves/the players people, and the first thing Bologna hear about it will be when the clause is triggered. Makes sense to me.

Wouldn’t care if city or Real Madrid made this signing and that’s the direction we need to aim

He’s 23 and didn’t make the initial Dutch squad either. Weghorst (sp) is favoured

Not filling me with hope. Just reeks of another Ten Hag signing which won’t work. He seriously underestimates the quality of English football

I agree with your first sentence but how would he be a "ten Hag signing"? You'll say that to anyone who's Dutch, disregarding anything else, won't you?

It seems like Ineos are going for value in the market in this first summer window, rather than insisting for the absolute best talents unless there is a realistic chance for them.

Just on that Dutch squad point - there's probably no-one in the Netherlands who understands why Koeman picked Brobbey over Zirkzee (outside Koeman and Brobbey's family), but Koeman is just very conservative in his picks that way. He also took ages to finally include Frimpong in the squad, who is clearly awesome. (Weghorst is a story of his own: he is obviously not amazing in club settings, but somehow keeps scoring for the Netherlands.)

There’s nothing to discuss with his club. We’re aware of the price.

I agree with your first sentence but how would he be a "ten Hag signing"? You'll say that to anyone who's Dutch, disregarding anything else, won't you?

It seems like Ineos are going for value in the market in this first summer window, rather than insisting for the absolute best talents unless there is a realistic chance for them.
I hope it’s a club signing because they think he’s a potential world class talent rather than a ten hag signing. We don’t know for sure which it is. But feels like the sort of signing Ten Hag makes from the little I can see. Branthwaite did well in Eridivise too and seems to be consistent with Ten Hag targets

Just on that Dutch squad point - there's probably no-one in the Netherlands who understands why Koeman picked Brobbey over Zirkzee (outside Koeman and Brobbey's family), but Koeman is just very conservative in his picks that way. He also took ages to finally include Frimpong in the squad, who is clearly awesome. (Weghorst is a story of his own: he is obviously not amazing in club settings, but somehow keeps scoring for the Netherlands.)

I take your point about Frimpong. I didn’t know this

At 23 I would hope this striker is beyond doubt for the national team. I never did rate Cabbage Head as a manager though so I accept what you’re saying

Doesn't he have a release clause? If so the difficulty is agreement with his camp given the agent fees.

Romano said AC Milan were very advanced and that he'd be unveiled for them in July.

He now says United have stepped up with concrete interest and clear contact but Milan remain absolute front runners, at this stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.