Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zirkzee has never played in the Eredivisie or under ten Hag. Branthwaite played there when ten Hag was already managing United. De Ligt is a name that will interest dozens of teams if he is put up for sale by Bayern. ETH's input and history with the player would probably be significantly considered by Ineos if we were to make a move for him, yes, but that's a positive and an obvious thing any club would do.

Also, other than Antony, every single "ten Hag signing" was a good acquisition, so I don't see why it would be a bad thing if he recommended some players to the club..but I still maintain that Zirkzee and Branthwaite have been very obviously identified by the club rather than ETH.

People are really going overboard with this "ten Hag signing" thing. Every single player we signed under ETH was someone that the club already knew about. It would be weird if they didn't.

I don't think you used the white text properly.

Looks incredibly underwhelming. All fart no poo type of player. Some nice touches but nothing effective. Can't discard the analytics, the good players show up on the stats.

Interesting to see they point out we haven’t had direct dialogue with Bologna. Maybe there’s a deal to be made outside of the release clause where the agent gets a fee he’s happy with and Bologna too.

Also allows us to agree “more favourable term’s” to quote Ben Jacobs.

Unless the agent relentsand lets face it, same guy with Tevez and Macherano...he wont. People need to stop mentioning £34m release clause as this is anear £50m deal...thatisnt great value....If we are spending that kind of money we should be going for someonelike Roque for me who has genuine star potential

Really curious to know what “preparing a bid” actually entails.

Always imagine two blokes sitting in front of the computer like, ”Ok Ron, now type in 3. Now the 4. Okay put a million right after. Okay now click send.”
This is only the early stages.

It needs a full peer review next, to weed out any potential grammatical issues.

Once through the peer review process there’ll be the Commercial Governance, check that the right amount of zero’s are on the form, currency conversion is correct etc…

A few weeks later it’ll be faxed over to Avram, Joel and Jim, where it will sit on their desks for a week before full approval.

Once all faxes are received back from Avram, Joel & Jim they’ll be sent to the secretariat to be photocopied and stapled together.

One of the copies is filed in the “Approved Bids’ folder, another is posted to the two blokes you mention, and the final copy is left in a plant pot, at the back of a garden centre in Northumberland, for Dan Ashworth to collect.

Once your two guys receive their copy, and an unnamed Garden Center employee confirms the Northumberland copy has been collected, Ron can hit send on the e-mail (assuming he hasn’t accidentally deleted it from his drafts folder).

I'm just surprised were actually looking to do more then one deal at a time.

Looks incredibly underwhelming. All fart no poo type of player. Some nice touches but nothing effective. Can't discard the analytics, the good players show up on the stats.
I've only seen highlights on YouTube and I'm not impressed at all. Maybe I watched the wrong clips but for the £45m it will take to sign him (including agent fees), I'm hoping we sign someone else or I hope he allays my fears if he joins. I think the Wolves striker Cunha is the one for us but I think Wolves would probably price us out of a move for him.

The two you named, he didn’t buy!

I find this ‘Ten Hag’ player a bit of a harsh stick to beat him with.

Antony has not done well. But his other buys haven’t been nearly as bad as people make out.

Hojlund, I think is a star in the making. Mount hasn’t played enough, Malacia was brilliant for 15 million. Martinez is probably your best CB. Case had a great first season and a dodgy second, but was he even an ETH choice?

Onana took time to settle but I think you’ll see a better season from him next year. Eriksen was a free hit and has had some great moments. Weghorst was an emergency loan, as was Sabitzer when the club refused to spend any money and Amrabat has played most of his games out of position, but looked good in his natural position towards the end of last season.

I dont think that’s so bad to be honest.

I did say as much in the post, but he would have done given the chance.

I also think you're been very generous with Malacia, and we all know Mount is decent player, but you can't deny that he was a very odd signing, and let's not forget his Eredivisie link, would Ten Hag have wanted him so much if he hadn't played there?

Maybe I am been a bit harsh, but Antony has tainted Ten Hag very badly, and for me he needs all transfer say taking away from him, so the squad is fit for purpose for whoever replaces Ten Hag, who is likely to be not as obsessed with the Dutch link that he is.

I've only seen highlights on YouTube and I'm not impressed at all. Maybe I watched the wrong clips but for the £45m it will take to sign him (including agent fees), I'm hoping we sign someone else or I hope he allays my fears if he joins. I think the Wolves striker Cunha is the one for us but I think Wolves would probably price us out of a move for him.
I havent dived into analytics (wary of some paralysis by analysis too) - but just top level he has 11 goals and 5 assists from 34 games in Serie A. It's a tangible improvement from his debut year (2 in 19) and he's credited his manager for turning him into a deeper player that gets into the buildup more.

Ultimately he's a different type of striker to Hojlund and probably happy to rotate gametime. He's ft 6ft 4 and looks quite strong, for a 35m EUR release clause I can't think of many who represent value. Perhaps Beier?

The two you named, he didn’t buy!

I find this ‘Ten Hag’ player a bit of a harsh stick to beat him with.

Antony has not done well. But his other buys haven’t been nearly as bad as people make out.

Hojlund, I think is a star in the making. Mount hasn’t played enough, Malacia was brilliant for 15 million. Martinez is probably your best CB. Case had a great first season and a dodgy second, but was he even an ETH choice?

Onana took time to settle but I think you’ll see a better season from him next year. Eriksen was a free hit and has had some great moments. Weghorst was an emergency loan, as was Sabitzer when the club refused to spend any money and Amrabat has played most of his games out of position, but looked good in his natural position towards the end of last season.

I dont think that’s so bad to be honest.

I don't think Hojlund and Casemiro can be considered ten Hag signings, but other than that, I agree.

I do, that’s why I complained about the tweet. It really read like a nothing click bait, which was surprising for both him and the Athletic.
He has a release clause. Club agreement is not the obstacle here, agent fees are. Thats why the tweet is meaningful - and Ornstein in his video says that we are advancing in negotiations with his camp.

same

he reminded me of Gakpo

It doesn't matter who the head coach is, he absolutely should have a say on the type of player that is brought in because it will be the coach who will be judged on the teams performances on the pitch. So having a veto is normal for a head coach to have because as a functioning football structure, it's important to have alignment throughout the football club, where everyone works towards a common goal, which includes the head coach.

The heads of recruitment at football clubs are responsible for identifying players. Man Utd had sacked their heads of recruitment in April 2022, hence ten Hag had to step in and assist a process until replacements were brought in. And when those replacements are brought in, you have to give them the time to scout and analyse players. Erik ten Hag has never been one to lead on recruitment and because United had sacked the likes of Lawlor and Bout in April 2022, it gave many the impression that he was hugely influential, when the reality is that many didn't understand the implications that could follow when sacking your heads of recruitment on the eve of the transfer window.

I assume Simon Wells and Jose Mayorga are still in charge of running the recruitment department. INEOS haven't made any changes in that regard as yet, but I think the best time to bring in a head of recruitment from the outside is at the start of the season. And then the recruitment department will have the time to scout and analyse players for a set strategy.

People also often don't realize that in a structure that's working as intended, a manager will almost never veto a player and the club will almost never recommend a player to him that would be a complete misfit.

Ball striking doesn't look good at all. Don't think he'll score many but probably be a good link man.

Think we should go for Toney, who can also link play but is physically dominant in all duels.

For 50m are far safer bet

Ball striking doesn't look good at all. Don't think he'll score many but probably be a good link man.

Think we should go for Toney, who can also link play but is physically dominant in all duels.

Toney won't be available for 34m EUR

Toney would probably be the best we could realistically do this window at striker but he won't cost anything less than £60m I'm afraid.

Brentford would be relegation bound without him

I havent dived into analytics (wary of some paralysis by analysis too) - but just top level he has 11 goals and 5 assists from 34 games in Serie A. It's a tangible improvement from his debut year (2 in 19) and he's credited his manager for turning him into a deeper player that gets into the buildup more.

Ultimately he's a different type of striker to Hojlund and probably happy to rotate gametime. He's ft 6ft 4 and looks quite strong, for a 35m EUR release clause I can't think of many who represent value. Perhaps Beier?
Yeah it's hard to find that depth striker, especially with someone younger. Easier to go the experienced scorer route who won't demand automatic starter minutes if anything.

Put it this way - he looks more accomplished than Hojlund and he's looking like he's available for <50% of the price

I haven't looked into the numbers with him either but as you quite correctly point out, it's clear from watching his highlights that he likes to come deeper and receive passes with his back to goal. His link up potential looks promising but I'm not sure if the rest of his game is of a good enough level.

But having said that, I'm going off his highlights and I'm sure there's others who are far more informed on the player than I am.

Put it this way - he looks more accomplished than Hojlund and he's looking like he's available for <50% of the price

Just took him 53 games to score 13 goals. Hojlund scored more than that last season in a together league.

Pun intended?

Just took him 53 games to score 13 goals. Hojlund scored more than that last season in a together league.
That doesn't really change the fact that Zirkzee is looking more accomplished as a player before his big move compared to Hojlund.
The below video is obviously looking at his better moments (as all Hojlund videos did) but his dribbling and ball retention looks advanced, he's a quick player and quite exciting in link up.
His finishing certainly needs work but everything else is very promising:

Are one of those posters who believe Mount is useless, Malacia is worthless, and Onana is shit? Because then I won't bother.

Not at all. Jury is out on Mount at this point and he was an odd buy in that he was hardly a bargain signing and he did not fit an obvious need but he has plenty of time to prove his worth. Malacia is not worthless but I don't think he is good enough and when he does eventually leave he will probably be sold at a loss but he was cheap enough that it is not a disaster.

I do think Onana was a poor buy, better keepers were available for a lower price and I do think he will be replaced in another couple of seasons and is another we will take a pretty significant loss on. Would add Amrabat as a poor signing, I don't normally look at loan players but we paid a very high fee to borrow him for a season, at the insistence of the manager, and then we hardly used him despite desperately needing a defensive presence in midfield.

A sign of the price level we're shopping at rather than him being any good.

I suppose there's a reasonable chance he'd be better than Hojlund though.

A sign of the price level we're shopping at rather than him being any good.

I suppose there's a reasonable chance he'd be better than Hojlund though.
See the CAF moans at the price for Branthwaite being a lil too high and then also moans that we are looking at “cheaper” options for strikers, I don’t get it.

It's 34m pounds plus 15m agent fees. Think Toney will go for around 50m pounds.
Is it really £15m worth of agent fees? I'm trying to work out where that's from. Apologies on the fee I thought it was in EUR.

I'd be surprised if Brentford sold Toney for £50m too.

Isn't Joorabchian that fella who owns half the image rights of his players like some sort of dodgy pimp? So even if there is a reasonable release clause, we'll end up paying that scumbag the same again?

See the CAF moans at the price for Branthwaite being a lil too high and then also moans that we are looking at “cheaper” options for strikers, I don’t get it.
Not a moan, neither have I said the price for Branthwaite is too high. But yeah.

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion

People also often don't realize that in a structure that's working as intended, a manager will almost never veto a player and the club will almost never recommend a player to him that would be a complete misfit.
Agreed.

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion
His general play looks more accomplished. He's more polished in buildup and dribbling, and he's a player that looks comfortable to drop deep and get stuck in toward link-up play far more. He looks like he has better balance too. He's on similar goals/assists before Hojlund moved here.

That 'different striker' part is actually what makes me wonder what United are thinking of here. If they need back-up/rotation for Højlund (which seems necessary based on his many absences last season, and is wise anyway), wouldn't they want a similar type of player? Otherwise, every time Ten Hag rotates, he would also have to change the game plan. I get that it's nice to have some variation in player profiles, but if a position's #1 and #2 player are completely different, it makes for very messy long-term planning. (As United's midfield showed this season, cause injured players were often replaced by players with a very different profile and skillset - contributing to the disjointed appearance of it all.)

As it is, Zirkzee seems to look more like Bruno than Højlund. But then wasn't Bruno used as a false #9 in the FA Cup final, or something like that? But where would that leave Højlund long-term?

That 'different striker' part is actually what makes me wonder what United would want here. If they need back-up/rotation for Højlund (which seems necessary based on his many absences last season, and is wise anyway), wouldn't they want a similar type of player? Otherwise, every time Ten Hag rotates, he would also have to change the game plan. I get that it's nice to have some variation in player profiles, but if a position's #1 and #2 player are completely different, it makes for very messy long-term planning. (As United's midfield showed this season, cause injured players were often replaced by players with a very different profile and skillset - contributing to the disjointed appearance of it all.)
Well they're both young and Zirkzee's game was adjusted by Motta last season to be more of a false 9. At 6ft 4 he can probably act as a target man too, if need be. Though I havent seen him loads, just going by his physical stature and skillset.

The only think Hojlund definitely has on him from what I can see so far is finishing. I'm really impressed from the videos of Zirkzee's linkup play and general dribbling. He's oddly agile for such a tall player.

Status
Not open for further replies.