Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a little pessimistic at first, but I've seen he won Serie A young player of the season. Very excited now.

Is that statement wrong?

Why is it 'negative' if I'm not convinced De Ligt is the great signing others do? Can I not have an opinion?

It's not wrong, in fact it goes without saying it's obvious, but the issue the posters have is the incessant pessimism. Which you are entitled to, but others are entitled to connect on it.

Militao, Marquinhos, Gvardiol, Akanji, Kim min Jae, Bremer… Licha is seriously overrated by Utd fans. Look, I like him too, but he’s really poor in the air at the highest levels of competition, and to be world class you can’t be subpar in such an important part of a CBs game.

"Bremer" :lol:

Hopefully they realise he doesn't need to be as bulked up as he is now. Rather he added that bit of acceleration or top speed by being a bit lighter.

The Lukaku failed bulk experiment showed how unnecessary it was. Lukaku at West Brom was 10 X the player that played at United or Inter.

Depay turned into Mike Tyson when he rocked up too, lost all his agility.

This is all laughable. You’re nitpicking others to fit a narrative that Licha is an amazing world class CB. If he was truly truly great, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern Juventus would all be lining up to buy him. He looked pretty awful this last season, he has had a lot of injuries. His first season with us, he was very good, but it’s not like he was a candidate for team of the season. Would rather have every single one of those mentioned over Licha. Again, he’s a good, sometimes very good CB, but there is no universe when he becomes a top, top CB like peak VVD, Dias, peak Sergio Ramos, Pique… he just doesn’t have the physical tools.

Sheesh. There is such a lack of nuance in the Caf sometimes, it’s astounding.

Juve, Madrid, and Barcelona can't afford him. And why would he go to Bayern or PSG from United? Or Juventus for that matter. You really think Martínez would just leave the biggest club in the Premier League who have sky-high ambitions and are managed by ETH who he has a great relationship with...to the Bundesliga, or Serie A? :lol: I would understand if he wanted to go to one of the Spanish giants, but like I said, neither of them are able to splash 80m or more on a centre-back/left-back at the moment. And to mention PSG as well :lol: . No player with real ambition leaves the Premier League and especially Manchester United for PSG of all teams. And the "lining up to buy him" part...it's not like FIFA or even FM. Random offers don't just come in for players who aren't for sale and the players themselves have no desire to leave either. This same silly argument was brought up against Bruno, that why is no one looking to buy him if he's so good. Why is no one lining up to buy Madrid's, Barcelona's, Bayern's, City's and Arsenal's best players? Awful argument to come up with, sorry.

Also, how often does that happen? A CB playing for a big club in their peak years, leaving to another big club for an astronomical price? Every single big-money CB transfer is a smaller club selling to a big club, except de Ligt from Juventus to Bayern 2 years ago, and Luiz from Chelsea to PSG a decade ago.

Maguire: Leicester to United
Gvardiol: Leipzig to City
de Ligt: Ajax to Juventus
VVD: Southampton to Liverpool
Fofana: Leicester to Chelsea
Dias: Benfica to City
Laporte: Bilbao to City
Martínez: Ajax to United
Stones: Everton to City
Romero: Atalanta to Spurs
KMJ: Napoli to Bayern
Koundé: Sevilla to Barca
Miltao: Porto to Madrid
Kilman: Wolves to WHU

This is the current top 15 if you count Gvardiol as a CB.

I think it's you that's very wrong on this.

Martínez is no slouch defensively, but his true strengths are in possession and the build-up. He's the most press-resistant centre back in world football, and one of the best passers and ball progressors as well in his position. His mental profile and tenacity is also something that every team on the planet would be glad to have. He would start for any team in the world that's looking to play with a possession-based approach, like how City and Arsenal play.

Last edited:
It's not wrong, in fact it goes without saying it's obvious, but the issue the posters have is the incessant pessimism. Which you are entitled to, but others are entitled to connect on it.
Two posts today. One positive on us signing Toney, the other a neutral statement.

I'll change to be being positive that every signing will make us loads better.

There are many reasons to feel optimistic about him coming here, but is no one a bit worried that with his very low release clause, Serie A young PotY and playing as a striker (very in-demand role) there doesn't seem to be many other teams than us interested in him? Reading the praise here and knowing he had a good last season in Italy you'd think a couple of clubs across Europe would be interested in triggering his clause.

again that's not to say he's a bad transfer and not to make you write "oh pointless moaning he's a guaranteed success", it's just that our recent transfer record included buying players no one else fought for and plenty of them proved to be quite bad.

Seems a very likeable character.

Yea - I liked the early morning walk with the dog, he seemed like a grounded lad. Maybe it’s a given with a Dutch player, but his English is perfect, hopefully makes his adaptation easier.

There are many reasons to feel optimistic about him coming here, but is no one a bit worried that with his very low release clause, Serie A young PotY and playing as a striker (very in-demand role) there doesn't seem to be many other teams than us interested in him? Reading the praise here and knowing he had a good last season in Italy you'd think a couple of clubs across Europe would be interested in triggering his clause.

again that's not to say he's a bad transfer and not to make you write "oh pointless moaning he's a guaranteed success", it's just that our recent transfer record included buying players no one else fought for and plenty of them proved to be quite bad.

Milan were very close to signing him before we took advantage of their reluctance to pay his commission fees etc.

His release clause is also adequate for a player who before last season was an unknown entity in top football with everything to prove.

He was on the verge of signing for Milan and Juve were also very interested. Supposedly there were issues with the agents fees which allowed United to step in before Milan could get the deal over the line. In January he was linked with both United and Arsenal

I’m keen on seeing him in action. As I said, he is the right kind of profile for the current situation of the club. Seems to be a good dribbler who can help us keep in and carry the ball through congested spaces, which we lack sorely.

Koemen is a fecking terrorist. Deprived me of finally watching him at the Euro's. Seen him for a grand total of 4 minutes.

Two posts today. One positive on us signing Toney, the other a neutral statement.

I'll change to be being positive that every signing will make us loads better.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, I'm just explaining that it's not the truth people are questionable just the apparently defaulting to pessimism. Which you are more than entitled to do!

Milan were very close to signing him before we took advantage of their reluctance to pay his commission fees etc.

His release clause is also adequate for a player who before last season was an unknown entity in top football with everything to prove.
He was on the verge of signing for Milan and Juve were also very interested. Supposedly there were issues with the agents fees which allowed United to step in before Milan could get the deal over the line. In January he was linked with both United and Arsenal
I saw it about Milan earlier in the year, don't recall Juve links and I wasn't aware the commission was so high. From what I read now, the agent's commission would be around 15 million euro, which is a shitload and I suppose reporting this transfer as a 40m euro only (which I mostly read here) is a bit misleading. On a 55m euro total package I am a bit less surprised there are not so many other clubs interested.

I saw it about Milan earlier in the year, don't recall Juve links and I wasn't aware the commission was so high. From what I read now, the agent's commission would be around 15 million euro, which is a shitload and I suppose reporting this transfer as a 40m euro only (which I mostly read here) is a bit misleading. On a 55m euro total package I am a bit less surprised there are not so many other clubs interested.

United are not paying 15m euro commision, there was a discount agreed because of the relationship with the agent

Is that statement wrong?

Why is it 'negative' if I'm not convinced De Ligt is the great signing others do? Can I not have an opinion?

It is just weird to be miserable about every single player we're linked with before they have even played a minute for us. If de Ligt was so shit in Juventus, why did Bayern buy him for nearly €70m? Why is there a whole petition among Bayern fans to not sell him, and Bayern fans themselves can't really understand the sale other than sorting out the costs of the players' wages? If anything, that should give you an idea on what a good CB he is.

As for Zirkzee, he is incredibly technical, young and offers something that none of our attackers do. He was also young player of the year in Serie A, so obviously there is something to him.

Maybe you should wait and see how they do instead of being relentlessly pessimistic. Who do you even want to sign? Let's hear it.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, I'm just explaining that it's not the truth people are questionable just the apparently defaulting to pessimism. Which you are more than entitled to do!
I thought so but still get the personal attacks.

I'm positive on the Branthwaite and Toney links for example, it's just when I don't toe the majority line on others posters don't like it.

There are agent fees in every big deal. We didn't pay 15 million euros to the agent, either.

it’s hard to know what to say to such reductive, half witted posts like that one.

Absolutely spot on. That is, assuming you ignore every single detail.

I am going to venture that you don’t actually know who either player is.

OK I'll bite, but just because you made me chuckle.
I've supported United for over 50 years, I'm guessing I wore the shirt while you were just an itch in your dad's pants.

I know exactly what they're both like, chill yer boots pup.

Is this guy better than Depay at the stage we bought him? Never been so disappointed in a player with Depay.

There are agent fees in every big deal. We didn't pay 15 million euros to the agent, either.

Agent fees reaching 25 % of the transfer fee is very unusual, which is why it's a topic. And it's usually paid by the selling club, not the buyers.

Of course, there are agent fees in every big deal, but not always the agent wants an equivalent of more than 1/3 of the 40m release clause, as was widely reported.

United are not paying 15m euro commission, there was a discount agreed because of the relationship with the agent

interesting that we got the discount then, I wonder if the amount was reported by any reliable outlet. Is it INEOS that has a good relationship with Joorabchian? I don't remember United ever dealing with him, but maybe there's something I forgot

Apologies if posted already but I watched a more lengthy compilation of all his dribbles and I’ll be honest I’m even more concerned. In the shorter highlights, he looked to get past players very easily but this tells a different story. The vibe I get is that he’s just a bigger Sancho, I’m not sure if the PL will suit him.

Of course I could be wildly wrong but looking at his style I’m not sure he’s what we need.

I'm not quite sure why we should get excited about this guy. Maybe that's a good thing though.

Apologies if posted already but I watched a more lengthy compilation of all his dribbles and I’ll be honest I’m even more concerned. In the shorter highlights, he looked to get past players very easily but this tells a different story. The vibe I get is that he’s just a bigger Sancho, I’m not sure if the PL will suit him.

Of course I could be wildly wrong but looking at his style I’m not sure he’s what we need.

Sancho’s problems would be a lot less if he was 6’4 and could play as a center forward.

I thought so but still get the personal attacks.

I'm positive on the Branthwaite and Toney links for example, it's just when I don't toe the majority line on others posters don't like it.

I don't think they really are pesonal attacks, but if you feel they are, then message me and we can have a look.

Yeh fully agree. They need to be strong but not over built. Even some of the strongest like Drogba weren't exactly bodybuilder types.

I've been told that a big part of the reason footballers bulk up is injury prevention, which kind of makes sense. But it's easy to think of players who seemed to get worse in that regard afterwards.

The big question: he's a unit - can he defend set pieces?

Used to be the striker was probably the most important corner defender. Rasmus as much as I love him doesn't seem to be able to read a ball in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.