Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy does it feel good to have serious people back in charge of our football affairs

So is he a Kai Havertz type forward? Is this a fair comparison, in terms of playing style?
From my experience watching both players, I'd say Havertz is naturally a 10 who can play 9, whilst Zirkzee is naturally a 9 who can play 10. The difference being their movement. Zirkzee is much better at operating higher, and he is a better finisher than Havertz.

Havertz is better deeper.

Boy does it feel good to have serious people back in charge of our football affairs

The tweet is just wrong. Payment structure is irrelevant for FFP, so paying slightly more for delayed payments is slightly worse in that respect.

United are essentially borrowing money from Bologna, paying €2.5m in interest for the privilege. It's completely normal, neither good nor bad business, and something that would have happened under any owner.

We are essentially deferring 14m payments for 3 years (assuming it's 3 equal installments}.. that alone should be worth paying 2.5m extra.
The help with PSR is a great on top of it.

The tweet is just wrong. Payment structure is irrelevant for FFP, so paying slightly more for delayed payments is slightly worse in that respect.

United are essentially borrowing money from Bologna, paying €2.5m in interest for the privilege. It's completely normal, neither good nor bad business, and something that would have happened under any owner.

Delayed payments is not slightly worse. Cash flow is a big issue and we already had lot of overheads from previous deals. Getting favourable payment terms is a good deal considering we are paying just around 2 million to get that.

Also like you said, not sure why these guys are talking about PSR, FFP. Payment terms are not relevant for that.

Delayed payments is not slightly worse. Cash flow is a big issue and we already had lot of overheads from previous deals. Getting favourable payment terms is a good deal considering we are paying just around 2 million to get that.

Also like you said, not sure why these guys are talking about PSR, FFP. Payment terms are not relevant for that.

For FFP/PSR it's slighty worse, because €42.5m is slightly more than €40m, which is what I meant.

It's essentially a loan with around 4 % interest rate. Whether that's good or not depends if you need the loan, and what sort of interest rate you can get elsewhere. It's substantially lower than for the revolving credit thing, that's for sure.

Already arrived for medical

87227741-13625333-image-a-3_1720733773216.jpg

The way payments are structured has absolutely nothing to do with the way amortization works, neither does it impact FFP. It is simply to manage cashflows better.

For eg, let's say you pay 20m in 2 installments but offer Zirkzee a 5 year contract. The 40m will still be amortized over 5 years for FFP purposes.

Thiago Motta on Zirkzee
Seeing him day to day, he reminds me of the Ronaldinho I played with at Barcelona, but I cannot compare him to anyone”

Very exciting signing, very different player to what I thought he’d be. I think while he can play as nine and alternate with Hujland, I think over time we’re going to see them play more and more together.
Most likely, short term striker alternative, but longer term will end up being the replacement for Bruno

The way payments are structured has absolutely nothing to do with the way amortization works, neither does it impact FFP. It is simply to manage cashflows better.

For eg, let's say you pay 20m in 2 installments but offer Zirkzee a 5 year contract. The 40m will still be amortized over 5 years for FFP purposes.
This is spot on.

Definitely having an eventful summer. Initially didn't make the Dutch squad for the euros then had to cut short his holidays as a last minute replacement. Played all of 2 minutes during the competition itself and is already in Manchester for a big move.

Wonder if he'll be joining up a bit earlier given he's not done much playing over the summer. Excited to see what he brings to the team.

We still have the pulling power. Left a CL club to join us, same with De Ligt. Left the CL to join Europa.

Not sure we would be wise to raid players from Serie A seeing the massive decline of Italian football. Coupled with the fact that oafs like Lukaku still being able to thrive there, does not bode well for general football standards of that league.
Serie A has the highest UEFA coefficient in 2023/24 thus having 5 teams in UCL next season.
Serie A teams played in 5 out of 6 UEFA (CL, Europa, Conference) finals in the past 2 seasons.

Lukaku definitely "thrived" with 13 goals this season. Wood, Wissa, Morris, Hwang etc. scored similar amounts in EPL too, are you telling me they are all better players than Lukaku? Heck, even Solanke scored 19 goals this season, is EPL really as superior as you think it is? Lukaku at least played for a top 6 team in Serie A, but none of the players I have listed play for top 6 teams and they could score PL goals as easily as Lukaku did in Serie A.

There is a vast, vast world of football outside of PL out there.

First time I seen him tonight and have to say I wasn't impressed.... His lack of urgency and intensity in his warm up was borderline criminal. Think it spread onto the rest of the Dutch team and in turn led to them switching off, being so lax defensively late on and conceding the winner. He's cost his team big time.

Surely you are having a laugh, No?

Good analysis of him and how he can be used.

My concerns are slow movements and general pace, so might find it difficult to play his style in the premier league. Shooting technique is not great so will probably struggle to score. And at times dribbling technique is a bit loose so will probably end up losing a lot of balls in the PL.

Despite not really watching him, I'm happy with this signing.

At 23 years old he still has a lot of room for growth but was Series A young player of the year which shows he has talent.

It is the kind of signing in the past we would have paid 60 million euros.

Sensible deal to give us more forward options at a reasonable price

Why are we getting business done so swiftly? This isn't how we do things.

Did we even prepare a bid?

A bit concerning the Dutch thought Weghorst was a better option to turn to in recent games but then they are managed by Ronald Koeman, I guess...

Decent fee that. Great 2nd choice striker

Is he genuinely a striker? A goalscorer? A centre-forward? I asked whether he is more a Kai Havertz, Troussard type player.. someone compared him to Firminio from Liverpool. Just interested in what type of player he is, and how he fits into whatever ETH, RVN INEOS etc may be thinking. Or is a he a squad player?

My question is, if everyone is fit come first day of the season, does Zirkzee start?

I'm confused, not sure what fans are supposed to expect and we don't wish for any player to have unfair expectations.

His hold up play and technique reminds me of a certain Ibrahimovic. Obviously his shooting is nowhere there compared to the later, but he can there, as he is still young.

Has anyone mentioned that he's a 2nd choice behing Weghorst in the Dutch team and its a concern already?

Wouldn’t it be nice if for once we signed a player who went up a level after joining the club rather than going backwards. Really hope we provide him the platform to shine and we are talking about a top player in afew years time. That’s what Manchester Utd need to become a place for players to thrive and not come to die.

Has anyone mentioned that he's a 2nd choice behing Weghorst in the Dutch team and its a concern already?

I think it's been mentioned a few times.

Weghorst is a target man and the first alternative for the dutch. He also has some history for getting important goals for them.

For Zirkzee they clearly believe they can see something others can't and he can be a useful addition to our squad. He're hoping that's true and Ruud can get all of our front line playing with more cohesion.

Is he genuinely a striker? A goalscorer? A centre-forward? I asked whether he is more a Kai Havertz, Troussard type player.. someone compared him to Firminio from Liverpool. Just interested in what type of player he is, and how he fits into whatever ETH, RVN INEOS etc may be thinking. Or is a he a squad player?

My question is, if everyone is fit come first day of the season, does Zirkzee start?

I'm confused, not sure what fans are supposed to expect and we don't wish for any player to have unfair expectations.
If our wide option are same as the FA cup final starting XI come the first game of the season, He is likely going to start as he compliments them more.

This is all laughable. You’re nitpicking others to fit a narrative that Licha is an amazing world class CB. If he was truly truly great, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern Juventus would all be lining up to buy him. He looked pretty awful this last season, he has had a lot of injuries. His first season with us, he was very good, but it’s not like he was a candidate for team of the season. Would rather have every single one of those mentioned over Licha. Again, he’s a good, sometimes very good CB, but there is no universe when he becomes a top, top CB like peak VVD, Dias, peak Sergio Ramos, Pique… he just doesn’t have the physical tools.

Sheesh. There is such a lack of nuance in the Caf sometimes, it’s astounding.

He's just came off the back of a big injury and barely even played. But when he managed to get back for the FA Cup final he was incredible.

No club is trying to buy him because he's unattainable, just like no clubs are trying to buy Dias, Rudiger, Saliba etc, does that mean they aren't that good?

He's had apparently top strikers in his pocket numerous times. He's about to win the Copa as a starting CB as well.

Martinez is a top 5 CB in the world. For ball playing and passing through the lines he's probably number 1 at that particular trait.

His hold up play and technique reminds me of a certain Ibrahimovic. Obviously his shooting is nowhere there compared to the later, but he can there, as he is still young.
And we have Ruud on the coaching staff now to help him. If he can have half the career zlatan had he will be a good signing.

Very intrigued by this signing.

woodward will be sat at home, smirking to
himself that the amateurs in charge don’t even know about the “monitoring the situation” phase of any successful transfer.

Firmino was mostly a #10 (behind Anthony Modeste in Gisdol's 4-2-3-1) in the two seasons before Liverpool bought him from Hoffenheim, but, yes, I take your point. The point I was making was simply that Zirkzee's goal record (or lack thereof) is less of a concern if we think he can be the catalyst to Rashford and Garnacho scoring 20+ goals each in all competitions.

Anyway, The Athletic reported earlier in the week that Zirkzee may not be the only forward we bring in, so let's wait and see.
I was making the same point that this means we are relying on a Rashford resurgence unless we sign another attacker so I think we are in agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.