Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry on what planet is an international starting 11 comprised of the best player at each position? Team selection and squad selection for that matter are much more nuanced than that, and it's been that way for a long time, so you'd really have to not be paying attention if you still believe the fact that Weghorst is getting more minutes actually means something in terms of who the better player is.

Reactions: Solius
Ya good post. I totally got what you were trying to say. I don’t see the fans on here having much patience though. I think he’s a very interesting signing and I’m glad we are thinking slightly left field. It’s the only way to find value and develop a team that can grow and improve together

As said every deal is a gamble. However I have a good feeling about Zirkzee. As Capello said, he's a complete striker and his (current) second favorite striker in the Serie A. The fans will probably love him as he works hard, he drops deep, he creates loads of assists, he's an excellent dribbler and he can score goals himself. He's basically the type of signing Hojlund should have been ie a 40m-50m young striker with huge potential who can act as squad player right now but has a real chance of becoming a first teamer

Yes indeed, if you knew something about showing pedigree, you might understand why its relevant.

If you know something about players age, playing time and then goal scoring record you will get some clue.

Why limit at 2
Salah scored 40 goals in 5 seasons in Europe before moving to Liverpool. Averaging 8.per season

Zirkzee 33 in 5 seasons and this includes 2 seasons where he barely played.

G Jesus 58 goals in 6 sessions

Firmino scored 38 in 5 seasons.

Martinelli and Saka 11 and 17 in 3 seasons before their league challenging season.

Too much pedigree.

I'm sorry on what planet is an international starting 11 comprised of the best player at each position? Team selection and squad selection for that matter are much more nuanced than that, and it's been that way for a long time, so you'd really have to not be paying attention if you still believe the fact that Weghorst is getting more minutes actually means something in terms of who the better player is.
Once you are bitten by an Antony, you automatically become cautious.

Precisely why England look better when Southgate makes substitutions, because this is what he does for the starting lineup.

Officially a MU player according to Fabrizio Romano.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Weghorst kept him out of the Netherlands side for the majority of the Euros and when he finally got his chance he didn't even score.
And like that wasn't enough, he might also be Dutch.

Welcome lad! Kobbie definitely said see you soon after the match yesterday :lol:

Rooting for him, hope he becomes a key piece for our attack and I think he'll become quite the asset in short order for us

Last edited:
I said so multiple times, but here we are, key word being good numbers and not special, because why would you sign a backup CF with special numbers anyway, unless they were 18.19?
Again no one said Salahs numbers were special but if you don't see the difference between scoring 14 then 15 in the league to scoring 2 then 11 in terms of showing pedigree and promise then I can't help you with that one

The devil is in the detail. Its true that during the season 21-22 Zirkzee played 21 games scoring just 2 goals. However its also a fact that he came off as a sub in 15 of them

Good stuff. Imagine he's on holiday now, will probably join up later into the preseason?

Judging a player based on Koeman's national team player selection is peak Caf clown fiesta. :lol:

Welcome to the lad!

Glad this is done now. One less position to worry about and at least we have another option to Hojlund. I think when he plays we'll get to see the best of Rashford as well. Hopefully we get De Ligt done quickly as well.

I thought De Ligt might've been the first signing made given he's the bigger name, new era and all that. But happy to see the new structure not messing about and getting this over the line in quick fashion after the Dutch got sent packing yesterday.

If you know something about players age, playing time and then goal scoring record you will get some clue.

Why limit at 2
Salah scored 40 goals in 5 seasons in Europe before moving to Liverpool. Averaging 8.per season

Zirkzee 33 in 5 seasons and this includes 2 seasons where he barely played.

G Jesus 58 goals in 6 sessions

Firmino scored 38 in 5 seasons.

Martinelli and Saka 11 and 17 in 3 seasons before their league challenging season.

Too much pedigree.

You say this then proceed to include seasons where Salah hardly kicked a ball at Chelsea? to make your point?
The 2 seasons were used because, as young players, you are looking at their recent progression (and to demonstrate the ability to show pedigree across multiple seasons)
And also because you only have 2 seasons of data really for Zirkzee being a starter in a top 5 league, before that he was either injured or playing in Belgium.

In any type of statistical analysis, you will find minutes to goals Salah and Jesus outdid Zrikzee in the 2 seasons before they moved clubs.

Here it is for you :rolleyes:

Zirkzee 3693 minutes - 13 goals - 284 minutes per goal

Salah 5226 minutes - 29 goals - 180 minutes per goal (Like I said before Salah shows good goal-scoring pedigree before getting that move to Liverpool this is a goal every 2 games, he also had good assists too)

Jesus 3937 minutes (in a tougher league and as a sub) - 17 goals - 231 minutes per goal

With all that said there are some things that stand out with Zirkzee

1. He was a highly-rated goalscorer at Bayern and his progression stalled a bit
2. He has a similar profile to Martial which is pretty good, really like his link-up play
3. First half of last season his goal scoring was very good

However, when you already have a young striker who is struggling to establish himself as a regular scorer, this seems like an odd backup for him because both will need significant minutes to further develop and the current team is struggling for goals

Last edited:
This is good news. He is a very good backup striker option. And I don't care who starts for Netherlands, if you think Wout is better than Zirkzee, then I cannot help you. I am certain he will be a better striker for us than Rashy trying to play in the center

Last edited:
I can keep going, I’m in that type of mood.
Gonna throw some legends under the bus too.

Edwin Van Der Sar - I don’t think he’s ever saved a penalty in a shootout before, got absolutely shafted in Euro 96, CL final 96, WC 98 and Euro 2000.
Somehow managed to save Anelka’s penalty in CL final 08, thank feck for that, fair enough.

Jaap Stam - Won nothing before coming to United, comes to SAF led United, wins everything.
Leaves SAF led United, bottles a fecking 0-3 lead in a CL final to a midtable pathetic Liverpool side with a Milan side full of all time greats like Cafu, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Shevchenko.
What a joke.

RvN - Great striker.
Before he joins the club:
Manchester United in a period of sheer domination of English football for a decade, won 3 titles in a row, 2 of them were won by March.
After he joins the club:
1 league title in 5 seasons.
After he leaves the club:
The club is a goal difference away in one season and 1 point in an other from winning an unprecedented 7 PL titles in a row.
3 CL finals, won one.

RvP - Great player, won feck all before joining Manchester United, joins Manchester United with SAF, wins a PL title in March.
Does nothing after SAF leaves, ends his footballing career playing in Turkey’s kebab league where someone called him an old man.

I genuinely hope we never sign Dutch players ever again.
I'm getting my extra thick wooden shoes and my prostitute powered (think hamster wheels and shit) snowplough.

Where in Antartica do you live tough guy?!

Nice - that's one position done. Assuming the £50m net spend budget we have for this summer is just for actual cashflow? So if we are paying just over €40m over a 3-year period, then this should reduce our £50m budget by £11m?

Really though, please take care of him and turn him into the next Ruud. You've witnessed better than any nation that we fecking need a next Ruud.

You say this then proceed to include seasons where Salah hardly kicked a ball at Chelsea? to make your point?
The 2 seasons were used because, as young players, you are looking at their recent progression (and to demonstrate the ability to show pedigree across multiple seasons)
And also because you only have 2 seasons of data really for Zirkzee being a starter in a top 5 league, before that he was either injured or playing in Belgium.

In any type of statistical analysis, you will find minutes to goals Salah and Jesus outdid Zrikzee in the 2 seasons before they moved clubs.

Here it is for you :rolleyes:

Zirkzee 3693 minutes - 13 goals - 284 minutes per goal

Salah 5226 minutes - 29 goals - 180 minutes per goal (Like I said before Salah shows good goal-scoring pedigree before getting that move to Liverpool this is a goal every 2 games, he also had good assists too)

Jesus 3937 minutes (in a tougher league and as a sub) - 17 goals - 231 minutes per goal

Again why only 2 seasons to show pedigree, why not 5? Oh wait, it's because it doesn't support your point.

Also you should check the mins played if you think Zirkzee was starter for 2 seasons. You don't need top 5 leagues as all the other variables are not same either. Zirkzee was younger, much less experienced than others when he completed his last 2 seasons.

So if you take 5 seasons, all your pedigree players didn't show much pedigree, weird that.

I don't get this one at all. But its times like this where I'm comforted by the fact that I know sweet feck all about football.

Done deal - will be interesting where he fits in with Rasmus as they both seem pretty similar.

best of luck and hopefully rvn can help him score some goals!
Competing and rotating with Hojlund obviously. We only have 1 first team striker in Hojlund now Martial has left. Not that Martial was ever really available in the last couple of seasons but now we would be able to have some competition between the strikers which would only benefit the team.

Really though, please take care of him and turn him into the next Ruud. You've witnessed better than any nation that we fecking need a next Ruud.

I rewatched Ruuds highlights for PSV a few nights ago for the first time in years. He was already on a different planet to any current central striker who isn't named Haaland. I think you could see the same with Suarez in the Dutch league, just a total nuisance who would get you all kinds of goals and crazy finishes. I think this guy gets more assists next season than Rashford or Garnacho and is a nuisance in the box but he’s far from lethal in front of goal. Another playmaker with a few goals in him and I think we badly need that. We need the physicality too.

Status
Not open for further replies.